Mufflers sways back and forth

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mufflers sways back and forth

my brother followed me last night and told me that when I'm driving, my mufflers/exhausts move from side to side. I crawled under the car and the rubber hangers seem to be very strong, but I can move them easily with my hands. is there something more I should do to avoid this and has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Missing my Acura's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyTypeS
my brother followed me last night and told me that when I'm driving, my mufflers/exhausts move from side to side. I crawled under the car and the rubber hangers seem to be very strong, but I can move them easily with my hands. is there something more I should do to avoid this and has anyone else had this problem?
I noteced the same thing when following my wife, and everyone else with a tl or accord v6 for that matter thats really how they are because they are hanging by rubber bushings and not welded on. But if ya would like to stop this go to a custom muffler shop they will weld them for ya im sure. I would not really worry unless they are really swinging around more than normal.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:49 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try this:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157356
Old 10-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I'll be hanging under the car this weekend...

I don't remember this on my 00 accord v6, but it wasn't as cool, so I probably didn't pay attention to people when they talked about it.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by REDLINEN
I noteced the same thing when following my wife, and everyone else with a tl or accord v6 for that matter thats really how they are because they are hanging by rubber bushings and not welded on. But if ya would like to stop this go to a custom muffler shop they will weld them for ya im sure. I would not really worry unless they are really swinging around more than normal.
you cant weld your mufflers to the car!. you would get alot of vibrations and sound carried into the car. the hangers are just poorly designed and allow movement. you just need differently placed hangers
Old 10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
you cant weld your mufflers to the car!. you would get alot of vibrations and sound carried into the car. the hangers are just poorly designed and allow movement. you just need differently placed hangers
Yup, they use the rubber hangars for a reason, the system needs the play due to movement of the system & engine while driving, and under acceleration.

I tried hose clamps on my car, but they always broke fairly quickly. I ended up getting some rubber rings that were put on in addition to the stock rubber hangars. That levelled out my exhausts, and stopped the excessive sway.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I tried hose clamps on my car, but they always broke fairly quickly. I ended up getting some rubber rings that were put on in addition to the stock rubber hangars. That levelled out my exhausts, and stopped the excessive sway.
What sort of rubber rings and where'd you get them? I'm more worried about the sway than the levelling at this point, but would be nice to have both benefits.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually what I did is used heavy duty zip ties. My initial reason for doing this was to raise the entire exhaust because I hated how the exhaust sagged so low due to the 3A racing tips. I just went under the car, and reinforced the exhaust hangers by putting a heavy duty zip tie on each of the exhausts. Not only did it raise the tips to about 1/2 inch below the skirt package, it also secured it a lot more, and now I have little to no movement with the exhaust.

BTW just to let everyone know, I did this about a year ago, and the exhausts are still holding up well. So if anyone is gonna ask "will the zip ties eventually fall off" well there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.

I checked a couple days ago, and the zip ties are still holding strong. Gotta love the heavy duty ones.

You will need the ones that are about 1/2 inch thick, they're quite rugged looking, and they can hold a lot of weight.

Later guyz.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Racer

yeh the exhausts are supposed to move, i called like 3 dealerships until I was finally convinced. I replaced my rubber hangers but the exhaust is still uneven and still sways,
Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

stop worrying about it, if the exhaust was gonna fall off, Acura probably would have done something about it by now.

And even if it does fall off, I'm sure acura would warranty something like that...

just drive the car and stop worrying damnit...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Racer

no one is worried about it falling off. We just don't like to see the exhaust moving.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i followed my car...being towed ona flatbed..
the exhaust moved around..