Moving from 2002TLS to Chrysler 300C - Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjlee
I was trying to emphase that Hyundai is better than Chrysler... +^
Very amusing. I hate to admit it, but I once owned a Hyundai (I think it was a 91 Sonata - paid $12,500 new). Back then, Hyundai was just in their first stage of many image makeovers. They were cheap (Ford Taurus as about $17,000 at the time), and the salesman assured me that all their problems from the 80's had been ironed out. Well ... too late to make a long story short, but the car was the biggest pile of cr@p you've ever seen. It literally fell apart, and paint was falling off within 4 years.

So many years later, I buy a 2002 TL-S, and what happens .... the paint starts falling off in 3 years. Granted it was just the clear code on the window trim, but on a "luxury" car?

Back when the new Accord came out last year, I noted that they finally ditched the black trim in favor of metal accent stipping on the window. It was always painted dull black on the Accord and just "taped" glossy black on the Acrua. So I figure "great, the Acura is finally ditching the black tape!". Then the 2004 TL comes out with windows all taped up - just like my 2002.

I don't care if the dealer does replace them under warranty. The window trim on a luxury car shouldn't start wrinkling after one year and then start flaking paint after 3.

The door locks, spedometer, electric widows all broke on that 91 Huyndai, and the paint was falling off the car, but the window trim held up better than the Acura - and so did the transmission for that matter.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Cruisin'

I have yet to have a vehicle that hasn't had multiple problems. To date the two chrysler vehicles i have owned have been the least troublesome.
listed in order of purchase.

84 Dodge Colt turbo, mitsubishi product, loved it for first car, but tons and tons of trouble
voltage regulator went south, fried almost everything electrical before fusible link burnt. thank GOD it was under warranty, thank GOD I bought extended warranty
85 toyota turbo Pickup, loved this truck but was terribly unreliable, two headgaskets, cracked head, two turbos, oil pump, water pump, front seal, fan clutch, lost 3rd gear in AT, numerous AC problems
90 Mitsubishi Galant, decent car, in the shop too many times for small issues, TPS failed twice and left me stranded, totalled when I got rearended at about 45mph
94 Jeep grand cherokee, great SUV, very few problems, AC switch failed under warranty, radiator cracked out of warranty, thats it in 100+K miles
:flamer: 97 Chevy S-10 Blazer, biggest piece of shit I have ever owned, worst dealers I have ever delt with, in the shop no less than 10 times for numerous problems including complaints of trans/drivetrain clunking/slipping/jerking, dealer never found a problem, then as soon as it was out of warranty, dealer says trans is shot and wants thousands for new tranny, screw GM :sqntfawk: :fingerfawk:
95 Acura Integra GSR, loved it, miss it, want it back, but did have a numerous problems fixed under warranty, exhaust manifold, clutch master cylinder, got hit in it, traded it wrecked
95 dodge Ram 1500 4x4, still going strong, some annoyances but nothing has failed
98 Honda Accord, nice car, got rid of it when tranny was starting to fail
2000 Honda CRV, forgot about this one initially, least problems of them all probably but didnt keep it but 50k miles, relative owns it and no problems with over 130k miles on it
2002 Acura TL, wifes car, we both like it alot, but has had numerous problems, tranny went out, rearview mirror, all window trim, bent rim, warped rotors.

Toyota truck was most costly vehicle to keep going but with 200k miles still felt like a new truck

Why did I type all this, hell if i know
Just felt like ringing in on the subject
Old 06-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I think the second round of window trim problems was the last straw for me. I know everyone makes mistakes, but Acura has known the window trim has been an issue since at least 2000, and still didn't change it on the 2004. If they weren't so hung up on making the window trim look like BMW's, perhaps they could up the quality a bit. I'd take the Accord's metal trim over shiny black tape any day.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:21 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, it does resemble a Bentley, that pic is very telling. This car is gonna sell like hotcakes.

I would take the Bentley any day..... classy and not a wannabe, like the Chrysler... I do think the Chrysler does look sharp, and I would drive it, but the first mod I would do to that car would be to change out the grill to the mesh......
Old 06-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by indoMFP
I would take the Bentley any day..... classy and not a wannabe, like the Chrysler... I do think the Chrysler does look sharp, and I would drive it, but the first mod I would do to that car would be to change out the grill to the mesh......
If you don't like "wannabe"s, then why do you own an Acura?? I like my TL-S, and don't regret buying it, but if its not a BMW 545 wannabe, then nothing is.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Instructor

WOW! I just noticed the new BWM has metal trim on the windows, not gloss black paint!! Does this mean Acura may finally ditch the shinny black tape on their windows???
Old 06-13-2004, 02:17 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by awood
If you don't like "wannabe"s, then why do you own an Acura?? I like my TL-S, and don't regret buying it, but if its not a BMW 545 wannabe, then nothing is.

Awood, I have the '03 TL, what car looks like that (aside from the sister Accord)??? :fingerfawk:

Maybe I should rephrase my statement, it just seems a lot of car companies are trying to bite off eachother. I mean would you really mistake an 04 maxima for a Lexus GS? or a 04 Acure TL for a 05 BMW 5-series?? I mean the cars are not even comparible.... The Lex will kick the shit out of the Max and the beemer will kill a TL..... but it is funny that car companies try to emulate and fail..... I mean the Chrysler does look like a Bentley, but no one in their right mind is going to mistake a $22k Chrysler for a $200k Bentley Arnage.

Also, people buy their cars for different reasons. That is like me saying that every person that purchased a 04 TL only bought their cars because it looked ike a BMW 5-series, that is a false statement. I was just trying to say that too many designers are not coming up with fresh ideas, they just look at other peoples cars and copy them.... that sucks .....

We need designers that come up with fresh designs.... a la the Diamond Star ( i think it was them, someone correct me if i am wrong) company that introduced to us the old eclipses and 3000GT (also known as the Talons and Stealths).... those are designs that were original and that folks were proud of.....

i need to take a :shit: so leave me alone....
Old 06-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Instructor

I have the 2002 TL-S. From the side it looks just like a 2000'ish BMW 530. I know because at work I park on the outter edge, and its filled with BMW's. There is no doubt where Acura is getting their design inspiration.

I honestly think the Chrysler looks better than the Bently. I'm not the one who initially made the comparison, but when I went looking for Bently photos, I was shocked. It looks like 70's sedan to which someone added a walnut dashboard veneer. You'd think for $235K that you'd at least get a NAV system. I guess in your eyes NAV systems have no class either.

Bottom line is that the Bently has more snob-appeal than curb-appeal. Its for people who want to drive a car that no one else can afford.

If you offer me the Bently or the Chrysler with $200K cash, I'd take the Chrysler and the cash. Heck, I'd take the Chrysler plus $100K cash over the Bently and save myself the hassle of trying to sell it.

But back to your post, I see the Chrysler as being no more of a "wannabe" than the TL.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
its still a chrystler wich i would never own!
yea mee to
Old 06-13-2004, 07:55 PM
What your problem is?

You'd think for $235K that you'd at least get a NAV system. I guess in your eyes NAV systems have no class either.

But back to your post, I see the Chrysler as being no more of a "wannabe" than the TL.
No, the NAV is classy if one can afford such a luxury. The comments made were just to state that designers are really dropping the ball whe it comes to new cars. but to each his own, right?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need designers that come up with fresh designs.... a la the Diamond Star ( i think it was them, someone correct me if i am wrong) company that introduced to us the old eclipses and 3000GT (also known as the Talons and Stealths).... those are designs that were original and that folks were proud of.....
It was indeed Diamond Star Motors (DSM) that put out the Eclipse/Talon/Laser in Normal, Illinois from 1989 to current. It was called the BD-Body for the 2nd Gen.

I do sometimes miss my 94' Talon ES (2.0L 16V). It handled very well and tire wear was never a poblem (OEM set went @29k miles but 2nd set is still on it @ 94k miles!). I sold it to a good friend that doesn't have a lot of money and 3 kids of his own. The MPG in that car on the highway was phenominal! With 35lbs in the front tires (33lbs. rear), a Borla CatBack, K&N drop in filter and a ported exhaust manifold it got about 41mpg. The window sticker at the dealership when I bought it new said 27mpg highway. Oh yea, 4sp auto trans too. All from a car that only weighed in @ 2,712lbs. But I was making a lot more money now wanted something else.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Instructor

No, the NAV is classy if one can afford such a luxury. The comments made were just to state that designers are really dropping the ball whe it comes to new cars. but to each his own, right?
Fair enough. I can see the Chrysler has a somewhat of a negative rep that I need to consider before deciding what to buy.

In the mean time, Honda/Acura still can't seem to build a transmission these days. Just when you think the tranny days are behind them, there's a new tranny recall (this time on the Odyssey/Pilot/MDX).

Thanks to all for all the feedback. I think the best thing to do is wait a few months - see how the 2004 TLs hold up, if the 300Cs start showing problems, and see the rest of the 2005 models in general.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:23 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont do it. please. dear god please.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:30 AM

I have the 2002 TL-S. From the side it looks just like a 2000'ish BMW 530. I know because at work I park on the outter edge, and its filled with BMW's. There is no doubt where Acura is getting their design inspiration.
No way in hell. The TL-S has huge front overhang, the 530 has a very short front overhang. The sides are totally different. The 530 has a long wheelbase, the TL short.
The 2004 TL looks like an 2000ish 530. Not a TL-S at all.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No way in hell. The TL-S has huge front overhang, the 530 has a very short front overhang. The sides are totally different. The 530 has a long wheelbase, the TL short.
The 2004 TL looks like an 2000ish 530. Not a TL-S at all.
Well, I looked again today on the way in (before I read your message). I may have been comparing to a 4-door 300 series or an even older 500 series, but I'm not sure. I'll pay closer attention next time. I've been parking next to BMWs with my 2002TLS for over 3 years now, and I still think there is much more than a passing similarity.

However, since I can't go to Edmunds for photos of either car, I'll concede the argument rather than spend time searching for pics.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Racer

Just FYI i read about the 300C in a Mag (I forget if it was C&D or MT.)
But the build quality of the 300c (C means it has the huge, inneffecient Hemi) will never match that in build quality as that of other cars approaching 40k.
Why? The article pointed out that Mercedez, which pulls Chyslers strings, would be silly in creating competition for its own maket (low-end E-classes or a high-end C in this case).

In my opinion, I revert back to when I was shopping for a ca. I loved the Altima's when they came out and wanted the V6, with the goodies here and there - hey why not?
But then it dawned on me. Sure, add "leather", six disk changer, yada yada, but it is still the 17k car that is the base Altima. Same plastic interior. Same styling even, as its 17k sibbling. So I figgured, why pay 29k for a 17k car?
So I opted for a TLs, which, granted it is much like the accord, is engineered to be an upgraded 30k car. And lets not forget dealer service and the irefutable "bling bling" factor.

I respect the 300 style, but personnaly, I love to drive with my arm out the window and the high window line in that car would really make me feel like I am driving an armored car.

LS's were nice when I test drove them, but lacked the open feeling and comfort given by my TL's interior.

Happy shopping!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Well, I looked again today on the way in (before I read your message). I may have been comparing to a 4-door 300 series or an even older 500 series, but I'm not sure. I'll pay closer attention next time. I've been parking next to BMWs with my 2002TLS for over 3 years now, and I still think there is much more than a passing similarity.

However, since I can't go to Edmunds for photos of either car, I'll concede the argument rather than spend time searching for pics.

I have to say this disagreement is funny. Honda/Acura for years has been saying (senior executives) that their goal is to out-BMW BMW. I wish I could find one of the quotes, as I have heard this more than once. It is not just a concidence that every generation TL has looked somewhat like a BMW series car, particularly the latest version. Fascinating thing is that Consumer Reports now ranks the TL higher than the BMW it tested in every way except handling - where the two were just about equal. So Honda reached their goal in two generations.

Regarding the Mercedes/Chrysler 300 - wait and see what Consumer Reports says about its reliability before purchasing. As much as you have hated going to get the TL fixed, you will be a worse bind if you get a product that has more problems. The 300 is based on a Mercedes model (just like the Crossfire is based on the SLK, last generation). Mercedes has been below average in CU, and you will just be getting those problems if they were not fixed in going to Chysler.

Here is the irony - GM is winning initial quality awards all over the place. They now have the best two plants in America - Hamtrack, MI (Cadillac) was one of them. at #2. The Japanese only had two plants in the top 10 - Nissan (#8) and Honda/Acura (the Accord/TL plant), I think it was #9). I like the CTS, but as stated, the interior could stand some better looking parts. I also know according the Consumer Reports over long run, GM's Cadillac still has more problems that Honda or Toyota. Now, if you were willing to buy a Buick... just kidding. Buick now has reliable cars according to CU, but who wants one?

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TeHeLeEsE
i have to admit the new 300's are nice, they remind me of gangster cars from the old mafia movies!
but just remember you are getting an american car AND a chrysler (reputed as teh worst build quality). i may sound biased but i have first hand experience, we had both a dodge caravan and a jeep grand cherokee (chrysler products) that broke down to the point that it was not worth keeping them after awhile. sweet ride tho, juss do ur research

I once leased a '99 Chrysler 300M and it was a great car. I didn't have any problems with it.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elah
i'd say stay with tl... those hemis are nice but heavy... they like their gas too your gas bill is going to double if not triple. have you checked out the new maxima? lexus would be nice but thats out the the question maybe wait alittle for the 2005RL i dont know if you want to be a test dumbie for one of those. check out the maxima and the LS... its your money

300C is actually quite good with fuel economy.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hemants
One is nimble and the other is a boat. If you want a fast boat then go for it.

I spent half a day driving the 300M and it made me nausious...yuk. Fast but sluggish if you know what I mean.

You probably drove a garden variety 300M. I used to have 300M with performance suspension and it had a very firm ride (so firm that most dealers in Florida didn't even order it). It could corner quite well.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:04 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraT
- Hamtrack, MI (Cadillac) was one of them.
Not to be picky but it's Hamtramck. It's also a real nasty part of town too, kind of Harlem-esk.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ABBOUSHI
Dont get a Chrysler, it says it has alot of Horsies but it doesn't perform like it does. and the Acura is much more reliable.

What do you mean it doesn't perform? 5.3 seconds 0-60 is not good enough for you?

and please spare me the Acura reliability myth. I am on my 3rd transmission.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

not very much of it. that and the reliability sucks on them even with "german" engineering

how do you know? 300C has been released a very short time ago, there is no statistical data yet to show whether its quality sucks or not.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rasosi2000
I had a'99 300M. Beautiful w/lots of bells and whistles. But absolutely unreliable. Had it for 3 years (42K miles). In the first year, dealer had to keep it for 5 days, TWICE. Problem was something called the "body controller." It's a circuit board that has all of the electronic memories: seat, mirrors, climate control, radio presets, and ODOMETER. If the computer indicates a failure in the body controller, they remove it from the car, send it to the factory for repair, then ship it back. Car can't be operated until it's reinstalled. All 4 power windows failed. Transmission locked in 2nd. After 2 years, rattles developed.

Good luck.
I didn't have any problems like that with my 300M. The transmission lock in 2nd is not a failure. The tranny simply goes into limp mode because there is an error code. In most cases (happened to me to) it was caused by a faulty engine speed sensor. A replacement sensor is $25 (if out of warranty) and you can even replace it yourself.

This doesn't compare to a total tranny failure with Acura TL.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MADCAT
I think the opposite will happen. The car is so ugly and un-youthful that it will be a failure like their new Pacifica...does anybody remember the Pacifica? It's been out less than a year, and it could be the worst selling car I have ever seen.

And the its been 2-3 months since the intro of the 300C...and in total I have seen 5 in the downtown Toronto area. Heck, I have seen more ugly 5 series than this car.

Crysler had a great cahnce to make a great sports sedan with Hemi power...yet they make this grandpa car...

you are wrong, 300Cs are flying off the lots.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

Is this all we do here is say statements and argue?
Why can't we all get along and hate other car comapnies as one group?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow. Thanks guys for all the good feedback.

I'll have to think about it. By the way, the RL and CTS-V are not in my price range. And as I said, I couldn't buy the CTS-V anyway - the CTS NAV is a joke, and if you're taller than 5'6" and ever sat in the CTS passenger seat ... no more need be said.

I like the TL-S, but I was really disappointed by the extra 10HP of the 2004 model. Also, on the way to work today I was beat by a car length against (get this) an Impala SS. That car is supposed to be over 7 sec 0-60. Maybe my TLS is out of tune, or maybe that Impala wasn't stock. Either way, its pretty depressing .

What really has me looking elsewhere though is the quality of the TLS (or rather lack of). The black stickers for window trim and lousy transmission is just too much. I've had the car a little over 3 years and have yet to go 12 months in a row without a major trip to the service center.

With all that said, I must say that the Acrua service is EXCELLENT. I just wish I didn't need to use it so often.

Don't be upset about Impala SS. It has the same supercharged 3.8L V6 engine as Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that I used to drive. That's 240HP and 280 pounds of torque. GTP was(is) a 6.6 second car, so Impala SS should be pretty close and wouldn't have a problem holding its own against TL-S, especially since it makes 280 pounds of torque at relatively low RPMs.

When I drive my TL-S, I often get beaten at high speed by cars that are slower by definition, yet they manage to beat me. For example late model Camry or a Chrysler Sebring...

I think your TL-S is similar to mine. On a good day, if it feels like it, it moves very fast, but on a bad day it looses to lesser cars.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it a good idea? No. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but that is my quick, in a nutshell, short analysis of your question. Alright, have a good day and enjoy whatever it is you choose.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by spl1011
I respect the 300 style, but personnaly, I love to drive with my arm out the window and the high window line in that car would really make me feel like I am driving an armored car.
This is the safety trend right now driving on roads roaming with high-bumpered SUV's. Take a look at the '04 TL and you'll find the window line also moving up as well. The higher metal door will protect you more in a side impact collision, rather than having the SUV's bumper going through the glass window straight into your face.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

not very much of it. that and the reliability sucks on them even with "german" engineering

Get it in Black and tint the windows dark. It'll look like "The Car", that old James Brolin movie about a demonized sedan. I'm not kidding.

As for serious advice, I won't trust any first year model, whether Japanese, German or Martian. Just too many problems that hasn't been out in the open yet. Unless you want to be a test bed for future Chrysler customers.

Whatever your decision is, the best of luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vicman17
Get it in Black and tint the windows dark. It'll look like "The Car", that old James Brolin movie about a demonized sedan. I'm not kidding.

As for serious advice, I won't trust any first year model, whether Japanese, German or Martian. Just too many problems that hasn't been out in the open yet. Unless you want to be a test bed for future Chrysler customers.

Whatever your decision is, the best of luck.

well, someone has to buy them.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ruski
well, someone has to buy them.

They are made here in Brampton, ON in Canada. I pass by a decomissioned airfield at Downsview close to my work and there are thousands of 300s and Magnum wagons (not even sold in Canada) awaiting their U.S. buyers.

Just tell your friends to keep buying them to stimulate the economy.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I drove the 5.7 Hemi version, and I was not impressed. Nice interior, but for the money, there are a lot of better cars out there. Not only that, you'll end up in a year or so getting the dreaded creaks and rattles of a Dodge.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:08 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"come Along And Ride On My Fansatsic .....voyage"
Old 06-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

quick question....why are VW passats not being mentioned?....i test drove the V6 and W8...both felt good, and the interior looks good too...but being a VW it really isnt a head turner....
Old 06-18-2004, 10:58 AM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by rocket6871
quick question....why are VW passats not being mentioned?....i test drove the V6 and W8...both felt good, and the interior looks good too...but being a VW it really isnt a head turner....
They are not being mentioned cause most dudes that drive them are either gay or wish they were.... :fingerfawk:
Old 06-18-2004, 11:02 AM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by AcuraT
Now, if you were willing to buy a Buick... just kidding. Buick now has reliable cars according to CU, but who wants one?

Good luck.
Buick?!?!?! What the fuck? Do I look like Tiger Woods? :fingerfawk: Man, if I drove a buick I would be the laughing stock at my grandparents retirement center... Now, Cadillac, that my friend is a different story..... I think I would only drive very few domestic cars, among them some cadillacs (STS, DTS, Escalade... yeah, just like in the rap videos), maybe an older generation Impala SS with the LS1 or LS2 engines, a corvette...... and lastly a corvette.... man can those things haul ass....
Old 06-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Instructor

No!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:17 PM

Not only that, you'll end up in a year or so getting the dreaded creaks and rattles of a Dodge.
Pot calling the kettle black?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rocket6871
I grew up believing the hype about the wondeful German engineering of Volkswagon.

My first used car was a 1979 Volkswagon Rabbit. The A/C went out after a year. It would overheat in traffic unless I had the insider heat on full blast (yes, heat in the middle of summer). It also had touble doing 60 M.P.H against a stiff wind. By about 1988, it had fallen completely apart (the headlights didn't even work).

Being a slow learner, my next used car was a 1984 Volkswagon Jetta. I've never seen a more cheaply build piece of cr@p in my life - including my Hyundai. Windows broke, door locks, handles, trim came off. Brake master cylinder, starter moter, fuel pump - you name it, it went out. Also, the VW dealer in where I lived at the time totally screwed me on a service job.

I will never own a VW or Audi.

Quick Reply: Moving from 2002TLS to Chrysler 300C - Good Idea?