moon visor

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moon visor

So i'm going to get a moon visor soon, and i've been told that installing it doesn't require any drilling or taping, so how do u get it on?
Old 04-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: moon visor

Originally posted by rayman009(2)
So i'm going to get a moon visor soon, and i've been told that installing it doesn't require any drilling or taping, so how do u get it on?
The moon visor is held down by two clips and are tighten down with two screws. The instruction comes in the box if you buy it brand new. Very easy.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:33 AM
Banned

I got mine from this site. Genuine Acura part and it holds on with two clips on either side of the moonroof, like CKacura said. The clips are very thin where they pass through the moonroof opening so the rubber gasket just closes right against them. Takes a little bit of time to make sure you have it straight, but the actual mounting is very quick (less than 5 minutes).
Old 04-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally posted by pianoman41
I got mine from this site. Genuine Acura part and it holds on with two clips on either side of the moonroof, like CKacura said. The clips are very thin where they pass through the moonroof opening so the rubber gasket just closes right against them. Takes a little bit of time to make sure you have it straight, but the actual mounting is very quick (less than 5 minutes).
Pianoman41,
Does the moonroof visor rub the paint where it touches? That's my only worry about installing one! I'd like to be able to take it off in the future and not have a "worn" spot.

V.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:51 AM
Pro

The new visor comes with a piece of vinyl tape that covers the area your clip mounts. No problem at all...very easy and effective.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:52 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by vperkins2
Pianoman41,
Does the moonroof visor rub the paint where it touches? That's my only worry about installing one! I'd like to be able to take it off in the future and not have a "worn" spot.

V.
It has rubber seal, so don't worry about a thing.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by songoku

It has rubber seal, so don't worry about a thing.
However, don't forget to use some paste wax( turtle wax) on the paint area where the rubber seal rests. This prevents the rubber seal from sticking to the paint, since you are thinking about removing it later.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:25 PM
2002 CLs w/Navi

I think the visor is great, it really does help out with the wind noise.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by vperkins2
Pianoman41,

V.
The visor does have a rubber gasket at the bottom that sandwiches down between the plastic visor and the metal roof when you mount it.

However, I view the moonroof visor like mud guards and nose bras. If you plan to put one on the car, plan to keep it on the car and never take it off. Over time, even the rubber gasket will cause rubbing/buffing on the paint and you will surely be able to see where it once was if removed. Several guys on this list have removed their dealer-installed mud guards after only a few months of ownership to discover deep rub marks and gouges in the paint. My theory is, since no one is going to see the marks if you leave the visor on permanently, do just that--never take it off. Nose bras do the same thing. Over time they wear against the paint and also cause the paint to fade at a rate different than the rest of the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong--I love the visor. I had my sunroof open full today driving down the highway at 80mph with absolutely no wind buffeting in the cockpit. None. And I don't mind the looks of it either. To each their own. But I have no plans to take it off because (1) it is functional, and (2) I probably have some kind of visible marks on the roof where it touches since it has been on there for over 9 months.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Smitty02Cls
I think the visor is great, it really does help out with the wind noise.
One thing I have noticed is it does create *more* wind noise when you run the sunroof in the tilt mode, but less wind noise (than without a visor) when it is fully opened.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

why get a visor and mess up the clean lines of the car?
Old 04-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by pianoman41

One thing I have noticed is it does create *more* wind noise when you run the sunroof in the tilt mode, but less wind noise (than without a visor) when it is fully opened.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. If you just carely crack open the tilt it works well. Otherwise it does create more noise. It's ok though, since I usually drive with it full open. It works great with the moonroof full open.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:37 AM
Instructor

I had a visor on when I purchased my car used (99 TL), and decided it looked old-school and took it off. I think it looks better, but it DOES leave indentations on the roof. Not scratches, but more like indentations, if you run your finger over the paint you can feel Exactly where the visor was, as well as see it. I waxed the hell out of it, but the levels of the paint were varied. It doesnt look too bad, but it does alter the body, not really the paint (I guess all that pressure pushing down on the metal causes it to give in a bit)
Old 04-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Moo
Pro

Originally posted by my99tl
I had a visor on when I purchased my car used (99 TL), and decided it looked old-school and took it off. I think it looks better, but it DOES leave indentations on the roof. Not scratches, but more like indentations, if you run your finger over the paint you can feel Exactly where the visor was, as well as see it. I waxed the hell out of it, but the levels of the paint were varied. It doesnt look too bad, but it does alter the body, not really the paint (I guess all that pressure pushing down on the metal causes it to give in a bit)
Me too. I took mine off. I definately like the look without the visor. Having the visor provided for a a quieter cabin and it keeps the sun out of my eyes when the roof was open. This really didn't bother me that much so I took it off. The visor did leave marks, it was only on for 2 months. But the marks wasn't too noticeable.