Mobil1's new SuperSyn oil.

These are the specs:

Mobil 1 With SuperSyn™
SAE Grade 5W-30
Product Number 48111-9
API ServiceClassification SL/CF
ILSAC GF-3
ACEA A1/B1 andA5/B5
Pour Point, °C (°F) -48° (-54°)Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °C (°F) 235° (455°)Viscosity
Cold Cranking, cP @ °C 3,600 @-30°
Cold Pumping, cP @ °C 23,900 @-35°
Kinematic, cSt @ 40°C 53.7
Kinematic, cSt @ 100°C 9.7
Pumpability Limit, °C (°F) -46° (-51°)
Viscosity Index 169
Energy Conserving Yes

I couldn't find any info on regular Mobil1, so it may be that everyhting will be SuperSyn from now on.
Old 04-15-2002 | 09:34 PM
Intermediate

oil ??

I've been running Mobil 1 5W30 since new (25K miles).
Runs like a charm in the cold, and gas mileage is good.
Hopefully this stuff will get better. Anyone know is
Mobil will produce a syn 5W20??
Old 04-16-2002 | 07:19 PM
Not a Blowhole

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, which has been around for more than 25 years, is changing its formula and viscosity ratings to reflect the latest changes in automotive technology. Starting in February 2002, Mobil 1 has been reformulated with a new secret ingredient called "SuperSyn" which Mobil says will improve the oil's anti-wear and anti-friction qualities even more. Mobil won't say exactly what SuperSyn is, but only that it is a special hydrocarbon molecule that takes synthetic oil technology to a new level of performance -- which will also be reflected in a price increase for Mobil 1.

The average shelf price today for Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils is usually $3.79 to $3.99 per quart. The reformulated Mobil 1 will probably sell for $4.79 to $4.99 per quart.

The new ingredient gives Mobil 1 a slightly darker color than before, which improves visibility when reading a dipstick. The new additive also allows Mobil 1 to pass a much wider battery of industry oil standards, including ILSAC GF-3, American Petroleum Institute's SL/SH/CF specifications, European ACEA standards and Japanese valvetrain requirements. The oil is approved for use in virtually all gasoline and light duty diesel engines, and is used as the factory-fill oil for Porsche, Mercedes Benz AMG vehicles, Aston Martin, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang R Cobra and Dodge Viper.

Mobil 1 will also be available in 5 different viscosity grades:

* 5W-30 -- For newer vehicles

* 10W-30 -- For older or high mileage vehicles

* 15W-30 -- For performance, hard use applications (excellent for turbocharged & supercharged engines, muscle cars, off-road trucks, etc.)

* 0W-30 -- For improved fuel economy & cold weather starting

*0W-40 -- For new European cars (meets Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW requirements).

SYNTHETIC MARKET GROWING

According to ExxonMobil market research, synthetic motor oils now account for 14% of all retail motor oil sales. Of this, Mobil 1 has a 63% share of the market.

Synthetic motor oils have numerous advantages over conventional motor oils, such as greatly improved high and low temperature performance, greater resistance to oxidation and viscosity break-down, and potentially longer service life.

Though ExxonMobil has taken a conservative approach and says the oil should be changed at the interval recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (typically 3,000 miles/3 months up to 7,500 miles or more/12 months depending on the type of driving), a company engineer also said that if the OEMs went to a once a year 10,000 miles change interval, Mobil 1 would have no trouble meeting the standard. The oil is so stable that it shows little deterioration with extended drain intervals.

For more information about Mobil I, visit www.mobil1.com
Old 04-16-2002 | 08:40 PM
Instructor

Damn RR, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were selling this stuff.
I looked at their spec sheets, and the only difference in numbers is that (for 5W30 anyway) new Mobil1 oil has a little lower pour point. I'm curious since they're big on this new anti-wear protection why there are no wear test results posted anywhere?
Old 04-16-2002 | 09:37 PM
Not a Blowhole

Almost no one publishes wear tests - there are standardized ASTMtests, but their applicability to real-world conditions is not ironclad. It is not just so simple as to say Oil 1 scored a 2.2mg, while Oil scored 2.3, so Oil 1 is better. Plus, some mfrs. have used consumer misunderstanding of how to interpret them for their own marketing. It is possible to tailor an oil formula for a test to make it look good at the expense of another factor that fits in the mosaic that is a modern engine oi. Look at the Falex tests one mfr touted, then had to back off of. Remember Duralube - looked great on the ball-scar test, must reduce wear right? Wrong - they just loaded up on the EP (extreme pressure) additives, which if present in too high a quality can degrade other factors in the oil. Plus, EP is a startup wear issue (boundary lube) and has little relevance to wear from normal use. So unless you are very well versed in all the ramifications of a test, it is confusing or even misleading. This is why mfrs stay away from them - I do not believe it is to hide.

No, I do not have any ties to any oil products, just a consumer like you, although when I did hi-po mods and service I did have a lot of exp with Red Line (obviously) and based my endorsement of their products on my real-world observations.

I do think ExMo has moved their product upscale, while others (Syntec, Valvoline?) are moving in the other direction. Point is, there are various markets and price points, and they all protect the engine well, as do good ol' Group II lubes.
Old 04-17-2002 | 08:02 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by sniper5
Damn RR, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were selling this stuff.
I looked at their spec sheets, and the only difference in numbers is that (for 5W30 anyway) new Mobil1 oil has a little lower pour point. I'm curious since they're big on this new anti-wear protection why there are no wear test results posted anywhere?
He forgot to mention he snagged all that info off Mobil 1's site.
Old 04-17-2002 | 10:04 AM
Instructor

He forgot to mention he snagged all that info off Mobil 1's site.
Well, if that stuff was posted on Valvoline's site, I'd be a little concerned. Where else is he gonna get that info from?
Old 04-17-2002 | 02:58 PM
Racer

Road Rage,

Just curious to what you think about Redline Synthetic Oil. Better, worse, same? Differences?

Thanks.