j83
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhhh..

aside from what the 'MM' looks like
now what do we call it haha
i see everyone still using mm
and when we install it and people ask whats under the hood
we say oh intakes, headers, mystery mod??
Old 11-02-2001, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

"flux capacitor"
Old 11-02-2001, 12:19 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mass - Air IcreaseResonence

or maybe just

Whomp!
Old 11-02-2001, 01:47 PM
Instructor

MM has a name...RES

RES or Resonant Enhancement System is what the Mystery Mod is, and I will miss its adopted name dearly.....

Ever heard of the "intel inside"? For those of you who think its about increasing volume...I wish you luck in your quest. Its shape has been optimised (internally) for changing the way the plenum resonates in the 3800+ RPM range. The increased volume of the center plenum does help the torque band below 3800RPM but when designed wrong, looses upper end horsepower over stock. It took awhile to figure things out and many piles of scrap metal.

Additionally, the exterior has to be designed to accomodate the hood clearance and we have installed a few unwanted "power bulges" when shutting the hood or brake torqueing the motor. Of course when you change the exterior, you change the interior and this took the longest to find an acceptable balance between fitment and performance. Once again, I spoke to Tim at ACP and he is willing to supply Hoods for you experimenters on the boards.

Yes it will be in color if demand dictates....It will be Cast in a rough aluminum with a polished machined upper surface which is deep engraved with "RES" in italicized bold NASA lettering.

The part is protected by three seperate patents, one includes the design philosophy so that it can't be changed "slightly" and remarketed. We have partnered with a Patent Law firm to handle this for us....can't spend enough to protect good R & D these days.

That reminds me, naysayers, if it were a fraud, why spend the money to protect it?

The part production continues and should be available after a November test release to board members trusted by you the public and ACP.

Notes from our mule...The system makes no additional noise, has no noticible effect on fuel economy. CARB certification will be part of the November Test release of a "production example" and should proceed, well, as quickly as CARB proceeds.

I was in the Comptech booth not to "sell" my idea to them or form a cooperative with them and the S/C...I was doing what the board should do...applaud them on trying to deliver a product you all have talked about. Shad and I have worked on a few issues before and that is the extent of our "working together". We had a few laughs over how critical some booth patrons had been. We both agree that we don't know how well our products will work together.

I hope this helps answer the questions.

Syn
Old 11-02-2001, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: MM has a name...RES

Originally posted by syncivic

Additionally, the exterior has to be designed to accomodate the hood clearance and we have installed a few unwanted "power bulges" when shutting the hood or brake torqueing the motor. Of course when you change the exterior, you change the interior and this took the longest to find an acceptable balance between fitment and performance. Once again, I spoke to Tim at ACP and he is willing to supply Hoods for you experimenters on the boards.
Syn
What do you mean by Tim is willing to supply Hoods? Do we need need hoods in order to fit the RES? So to do this mod, will be $300 + cost of new hood? Please explain!
Old 11-02-2001, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

for you experimenters on the boards
Old 11-02-2001, 04:14 PM
O.G.

Re: Re: MM has a name...RES

Originally posted by patrick

What do you mean by Tim is willing to supply Hoods? Do we need need hoods in order to fit the RES? So to do this mod, will be $300 + cost of new hood? Please explain!
My point exactly!
Old 11-02-2001, 04:37 PM
Racer

What the heck! This mod would seriously suck if you had to change the hood just to make it fit.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:46 PM
Instructor

You guys need to work on your comprehension skills....the hood reply was for those who try to weld a box and bolt it on the manifold...they will need a hood if they aren't carefull. The RES does NOT hit the hood
Old 11-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

You guys need to work on your comprehension skills....the hood reply was for those who try to weld a box and bolt it on the manifold...they will need a hood if they aren't carefull. The RES does NOT hit the hood
My comprehension skills are fine, thank you. I did not see anywhere in this thread about welding a box and bolting it on the manifold. I might be blind, but I assure you, I'm not daft.

PS: oh, and thanks for the explanation
Old 11-02-2001, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Tim please post as soon as it is available. I never found the pre order menu for this part.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Damn I tried to comprehend what you said and it was pretty hard to follow along...We went from talking about intel, to rpms, to new hoods...Okay, at least its out, wouldn't it have been better if you told us now as opposed to 3 months ago...One question, is there a warranty in case our cars mess up??? Shyne
Old 11-03-2001, 01:41 AM
Pro

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!

All this techno-babble for the last two months over this new mod. First this, then that, now hood replacement pops up in the equation!

Make it simple already! All we need to know is:

1. Will it work as it is supposed to?

Answer: Yes. Dyno has proven its worth.

2. Will it fit the car with no other fabrication?

Answer: Yes.

3. When do we get to order?

Answer: Tim will let us know ASAP.

Ok. Who is still confused? It's not that complicated folks!!!!
Old 11-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Pro

RES or Resonant Enhancement System is what the Mystery Mod is, and I will miss its adopted name dearly.....

I hope this helps answer the questions.

Syn
Syn, thanks for the explanation of how it works and some of the details. I for one appreciate the amount of effort (time and money) that goes into these things, working within the R&D realm myself (non-automotive.)

I am impressed that you folks focused on a part that seems so trivial but in the end causes such a noticeable gain with no apparent drawbacks. I figure Acura would have nailed that down for sure.

I look forward to the RES' release and hope to scrounge the dough from the "boss" to aquire it myself.

Old 11-05-2001, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb R E S

okay, i hear from the guys at acura-cl that the "mystery mod" is called the RES.... resonant enhancemnet system.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

sounds like a decent name to me