Maxima goes down again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by VQ35DE

I'll agree with your post w/exception of the Better Auto Tranny, as it seems several CL/TL guys posted about trannys going bad. But in terms of having an extra gear, the TL's is probably better.

As far as engine sound, the Maxima's problem is that it has no engine sound. (At least in my case.)

Peace
My friend just told me about his brand new 03 Max SE tranny slipping 3 times on the way back from school or something. For the record, there are people here like me without any tranny problems on their TLS (knock on wood).

As far as the engine sounds go, the thing is the Maxima has no engine sound while the TLS has engine sound on demand . When my friends comment on how quiet the ride is, I just turn up the VTEC and it always amazes them.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:57 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by pjonkheer1
I'm a bit confused... What does the TLS have the Max doesn't in terms of options/luxury?? Now that I think about it, the Maxima has a number of luxury features the TLS is lacking. A few examples...

Heated Steering Wheel
Auto Off Headlights
Digital Compass
Real Fog Lights
Auto Up/Down Windows for Driver and Passenger
More Room

As I am a pretty big TLS fan myself, it all comes down to personal preference. I hate it when people say one car is better than the other hands down! These 2 cars are pretty much dead even and appeal to the same people. You and me. My likes for the TLS are as follows...

Better Leather
Better Fit/Finish
Better Auto Tranny - I drive a 6pd
Better Engine Sound
Less Torque Steer - due to lack of torque?
I agree with you, but fit and finish is subjective I think after owning both!
Old 02-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I couldn't agree more .. Vandy, the Maxima has no unique sound that makes me wanna drive around @ 4000rpms like I do in the TL-S... on the other hand, sometimes it's nice to a have a silent luxo cruiser like the Max... but I'd rather have the VTEC snarl...

Fit & Finish .. I still think overall goes to the Acura... let's just forget about this whole tranny screw up by Acura for a moment... and that's the only way I'll give fit and finish to Acura... in terms of overall reliability.. i think the Acura "engine-bay" (i.e. everything under the hood .. ) is more bulletproof than the Max. All this talk about O2 sensors going out w/ light modding worries me about the Max... hopefully it's all in our heads and they're both very reliable cars.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pjonkheer1
I'm a bit confused... What does the TLS have the Max doesn't in terms of options/luxury?? Now that I think about it, the Maxima has a number of luxury features the TLS is lacking. A few examples...

Heated Steering Wheel
Auto Off Headlights
Digital Compass
Real Fog Lights
Auto Up/Down Windows for Driver and Passenger
More Room

As I am a pretty big TLS fan myself, it all comes down to personal preference. I hate it when people say one car is better than the other hands down! These 2 cars are pretty much dead even and appeal to the same people. You and me. My likes for the TLS are as follows...

Better Leather
Better Fit/Finish
Better Auto Tranny - I drive a 6pd
Better Engine Sound
Less Torque Steer - due to lack of torque?
I like both cars but I think you're missing out on a few things.

Double-Wishbone Front vs. Mac Strut

Double-Wishbone Rear vs. Modified Beam

5A vs. 4A

VSA

Torque sensitive steering

Variable valve timing and variable valve lift.

Dual exhaust

Memory/heated Seats/Mirrors

BTW. Torque sensitive steering in TL-S vs. Speed sensitive steering in TL is reason for lack of torque steer.

And the fact that everything above is standard in the TL-S while it's optional in the Max. If you compare standard features it isn't even close. As a result every TL-S you see is equipped with all the above, no exceptions. If you see a Max it can vary as to content from spartan to plush.

My carpool buddy has SE with cloth, manual heater/air, etc. I like the car but it's a little too spartan. He'll go lux next time.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Instructor

A few things...

Who cares what's optional and what's not between the two cars... It all comes down to OUT THE DOOR price. Please don't make me paint that picture for you...

VSA?? I guess I forgot to mention HLSD on the Max.

Memory/heated Seats/Mirrors ??? - The maxima has all of these features including the heated steering wheel. Again, what are you talking about?

Also, I already pointed out the TLS has a better transmission. When it's not causing accidents of course.

Dual Exhaust? I hope that was a bit of a joke. A V6 firebird from 1998 has "pseudo" dualies too ya know...

At any rate...both cars are a really good buy. Overall value is no contest as I can get a loaded Max for 27k or less. Of course if I'm going to own the car for 2 years or less, the Acura might be a better value because it has a better residual.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro

BTW. Torque sensitive steering in TL-S vs. Speed sensitive steering in TL is reason for lack of torque steer.
No to mention the lack of torque helps control torque steer.

And the fact that everything above is standard in the TL-S while it's optional in the Max. If you compare standard features it isn't even close. As a result every TL-S you see is equipped with all the above, no exceptions. If you see a Max it can vary as to content from spartan to plush.
Thinking to self: Hmmm. Kinda like the Infiniti I35. And I wonder if those options are standard in the Honda Accord V6 (The 5G Maxima's true Honda counterpart).
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Anyway the maxima goes down and all the stupid racing lies posted in maxima.org is all bulls##$, because there is not 1 maxima that lost a race and then you have a guy posting in a thread that he pulled on a tls by 3 cars length stock vs.stock ....lol ... get real ... i will never race a maxima again ... tired of wasting my gas even dough close race, always manage to win by 1 or 1/2 car length. Depends on 6spd or at..... maybe if jeff gordon drives the maxima then will the max win, but facing reality check the max has nothing over the Type S.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:27 AM
Instructor

I liked the Max's pricing, and the manual 6 speed stick. But when the road got twisty and bumpy in the Steven's Creek mountains, (and the rear axle was tromping like the one in the family Caravan) I had to say no, even with the price difference. Not a bad car, but nothing beats Honda's Double Wishbone/all independent suspension. Especially when you get used to the precision after 10's of 10000's of miles, hard to go back to anything strut related.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by VQ35DE

No to mention the lack of torque helps control torque steer.

Thinking to self: Hmmm. Kinda like the Infiniti I35. And I wonder if those options are standard in the Honda Accord V6 (The 5G Maxima's true Honda counterpart).
I think nobody can argue that the TLS has enough torque. It's the technology that makes it the best handling front wheel drive sedan in the world. After all, it matches the more powerful (definitely a lot more torque and more displacement as well) Maxima despite weighing 300 lbs more right?

Also, the Maxima is not the Accord V6's counterpart. That would be the Altima 3.5 V6. I really feel sorry for some of the Maxima owners because comparing the 2003 models of both cars, the Altima is bigger, cheaper, and faster than the Maxima.:wow: :wow: :wow:
Old 02-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Dr. TLS

By the way, at the Max board yesterday, this one dude was bragging about beating a M-B S500. Said something like "the S500 dude must have been pissed because I hung with his super expensive luxury sedan with my simple and cheap Maxima." Lol, that's just too funny. Speed is everything is the attitude of many Maxima drivers (although not all because I have two friends who have them and don't act like they have the baddest cars on the road).

Peace
Old 02-18-2003, 05:11 PM
2002 TL Type S

Prior to purchasing a new family car, I had a month long stint with a rental Maxima (cloth). The car was a blast to race around the streets of Miami - it felt much lighter than my Acura, but it also seemed pretty cheap. Would the leather equipped Maxima be any better?

So, I looked at both cars very closely before making a decision which to buy. Both myself and my wife were sitting in a leather equipped Maxima and came to the conclusion that the Maxima didn't have the same quality/luxury feel of the TL-S. Hence we went back and bought the Acura. Features or not, the Acura just feels more solid and looks better interior wise.

:smokin:

No Modifications
Kenny Brown Subframes
Eibach Pro Springs
Steeda Camber Plates
Baumann Shift Kit
3:73 Motorsport Gears
ADS Computer Chip
Motorsport Pulleys
1.5" Mach I Ram Air Hood
Flowmaster 2.5" Exhaust

Old 02-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vandy786

Also, the Maxima is not the Accord V6's counterpart. That would be the Altima 3.5 V6. I really feel sorry for some of the Maxima owners because comparing the 2003 models of both cars, the Altima is bigger, cheaper, and faster than the Maxima.:wow: :wow: :wow:
The 5G Maxima's Honda counterpart is the Accord V6; just keep in mind, the Altima didnt have a V6 option until its redesign for the 2002 model year. The Accord V6 (CG chassis/J30A motor) debuted in the Accord in the 1998 model year; therefore for the 1998-2001 Accord V6, its only Nissan counterpart was the 4G/5G Maxima. With the I30/I35 being the Infiniti competitor to the Acura TL/TLS.

For 2002, Nissan began its repositioning of the Altima to solely compete with the Accord line and subsequently phaseout the midsize 5G Maxima in order to reposition the 2004 Maxima to be a full size car.

Peace....
Old 02-18-2003, 05:47 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by vandy786

I think nobody can argue that the TLS has enough torque. It's the technology that makes it the best handling front wheel drive sedan in the world. After all, it matches the more powerful (definitely a lot more torque and more displacement as well) Maxima despite weighing 300 lbs more right?

Actually in auto form the 02-03 Max is slightly quicker and in Manual form its a toss up. who wants bigger not many people, and cheaper yes take a look at the interior in the Alti its horrible.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Safety Car

I think the Acura has better windshield wipers than the Maxima, and I think the Nissan has superior lug nuts to the Acuras.

Also I'd like to mention that in between arguing which car is better, I have a life that has nothing to do w/ me losing sleep over whether the max is better than the TL-S. ...
Old 02-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I think the Acura has better windshield wipers than the Maxima, and I think the Nissan has superior lug nuts to the Acuras.

Also I'd like to mention that in between arguing which car is better, I have a life that has nothing to do w/ me losing sleep over whether the max is better than the TL-S. ...
Hey, when I bought my car, I put a lot of weight and emphasis on which car had the best windshield wipers.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:49 PM
8th Gear

Originally posted by PeterUbers
No way - Maximas have WAY better windshield wipers than TL's!! In fact, a couple days ago I was beside a TL-S, and totally destroyed him from off to intermittent...

Old 02-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Maxima

No way - Maximas have WAY better windshield wipers than TL's!! In fact, a couple days ago I was beside a TL-S, and totally destroyed him from off to intermittent...

LOL!!

I'm not going to believe that until you post a video or a time slip!!! My wipers have waaaaay more torque than Maxima piece of sh@# wipers!!
Old 02-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by Maxima

please kindly post the dyno for me to see.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

Maybe Acura-TL.com should combine with Maxima.org since there is always a Maxima tread over here.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:21 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Word...afterall, we are all own Japanese cars! Can't we all get along?

Originally posted by perrymaxima
Maybe Acura-TL.com should combine with Maxima.org since there is always a Maxima tread over here.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Racer

NISSAN MAXIMA has elite package, offer 4 bucket seat, whild TL doesn't.

Does this make Maxima better?

TO be honest, if new Maxima isn't that expensive, i'd pick Maxima over TL anyday.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy 2 year old thread, Batman!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:00 PM
El Presidente

welcome to 2 years ago guys...
Old 05-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
jesus, this was probably a really exciting conversation in 2003!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
NISSAN MAXIMA has elite package, offer 4 bucket seat, whild TL doesn't.

Does this make Maxima better?

TO be honest, if new Maxima isn't that expensive, i'd pick Maxima over TL anyday.
First of all, the Maxima being referenced was 5.5G Maxima not the 6G. 2nd of all, expect to get flamed here for being vocal in your preference of the Maxima over the TL. (Sidenote: I have 5.5G Maxima and there's NO WAY IN THIS EARTH that I'd pick the new Maxima over any TL. )
Old 05-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

LMFAO!! Dudes with the maxima- you guys have the time to post on other brand car forums that you wish you could have? You all need to get something... What was it called again...????

A LIFE!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MikePA
Holy 2 year old thread, Batman!
You are right Robin. Back to the Bat Cave.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM Acura TL
When tl-s and maxima comes out to be dead even in speed. It comes out to which car has more luxary. and of course tl-s takes home the trophy. i wouldnt want to pick up a girl in a maxima.
thats right.... whenever i go on dates girls love my car.....
Old 05-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus