MAJOR CAI related problem!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAJOR CAI related problem!! HELP

Just got AEM CAI and installed. Exactly by directions. And with help from CHOD on the CL site. OK......had to cut off about and inch to fit the filter on. This is normal I believe. Got everything put back together and started the car. let it run and inspected it. Then I revved it up a bit and started driving like at 10 mph. Then the car lunged and all of the lights came on. (VSA, SRS etc.) Only had driven about a hundred feet. Put it in reverse and backed it into the driveway. Now I get nothing. I get electrical power and when I try to start the car NOTHING happens. Then there is no electrical power for about 2 minutes and then it comes back on. BUT IT WONT EVEN ATTEMPT TO TURN....NOTHING AT ALL. I am totally freaking out right now. I think the engine ceased. HELP HELP HELP!!
Old 12-25-2001, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

did you clear out the metal shavings from cutting the piping? this is very strange...perhaps you didnt connect the mass air flow sensor back on....or some vacuum leak on the throttle body...just carefully trace back all the wires and sensors you pulled off the stock piping and make sure their snug and secure on the cai..hope that helps...
Old 12-25-2001, 09:12 PM
Banned

I totally cleaned out the metal shavings. That was my first thought too but I know I got them all out. Even if there was some sort of a leak would that cause this to happen. I dop not know exactly which is the mass air flow sensor but I connected it all up the way it is supposed to be. I dont know what to do because I dont think this would be covered under warranty. CAI doesnt void it does it?
Old 12-25-2001, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

im assuming you took off the negative terminal from the battery when you installed the intake...are you sure you clamped it back down?
Old 12-25-2001, 09:41 PM
Banned

ya....it started and ran. but then it wouldnt start a second time
Old 12-25-2001, 09:43 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK....not to say you or the installer was dumb, but I'm gonna go ahead and toss out possibilities even though they might be a little obsurd. Having read your post, these are the things that come straight to mind since I too have installed the CAI myself.

#1 metal shavings could of gotten sucked up.

#2 coolant lines and the air lines might have gotten reversed.

#3 water might have gotten in the engine cuz you didnt wait till the CAI pipe was dry after washing it. (Reason why I said this was that after cutting an inch off the tip of my pipe, I went ahead and hand washed it inside and out to get all the water marks off it and any potention dirt residue living on the walls of the pipe.)

#4 if you installed the bipass, then the foam filter might have gotten sucked up the throttle body.

#5 terminal nodes on the battery is loose, but i seriously doubt this cuz then you wouldnt even see lights or the gauges work.

hmmm....thats about it, but to be honest, I doubt its anything that I've said here and that it must be a bigger problem. but i feel for you man, and if you still cant figure it out, I seriously suggest you take that CAI out and any traces of it before you bring it to the dealer and attempt a warranty repair.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:50 PM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sixspdbrd - this may not be CAI related, it sounds more like an electrical problem. Maybe has something to do with the install but not necessarily the plumbing. I'd look for any wiring harness that might have been pinched in the process.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2001, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

even if the water from washing your intake did get in....im sure this wouldnt have happen...if it was cai related i would definatly be looking around the connections to the mass air flow sensored...since its the only way to tie in the cai and your electrical system....perhaps you pinched one of the wires are shorted it out while installing it...worse comes to worse put back the stock piping and claim warentee for it...good luck man
Old 12-25-2001, 11:05 PM
Banned

could someone please explain to me about the mass air sensor. Location and what it does and what I should be looking for. This was my first engine mod EVER....not a good start. I too could believe electrical problem because of the way that when I try to crank it, I get no power for several minutes. Then I get the power back. Its too dark to check everything now, but thats my project for tommorow.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:15 PM
Racer

Not to sound too bad, this is your first mod. I would suggest one guy who installed a CAI on his CL/TL come by check your CAI, the hoses, basic electric wiring. It could be just a stupid mistake like switching hoses...

If everything is okay, and problem still there, I would suggest putting back the stock intake and have a visit to your nearst Acura dealer.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

merry x-mas to all