Lowering and new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering and new shocks

So I just bought the H&R sport springs, lowering my 00 TL 1.75 front and 1.5 rear. when i called around to get prices i ran into a bit of a problem. 2 guys said i was good to go with just the springs, and 2 guys said i needed new shocks and 1 of those guys said i needed the camber kit in addition. what are your experiences? the guy who recommended new shocks said the stock, which i believe were made by shomo(?), were not made to be compressed for so long and would eventually start knocking. just wondering what everyone else has done and how that has worked. thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the majority of those individuals that have the H&R sport springs are using the stock shocks and to date have no problems. I know for a fact that you do not need the camber kit, unless you have bigger rims on your car, but I am guessing you have all stock suspension and wheels... I would double check the shocks, I haven't heard them to wear out in a small time period...

Lots of guys have this setup and I am also hoping to get this setup hopefully in July to mid august.... need to get the funds....

btw... how much did you get the springs for???
Old 06-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

i got the h&r's from morepowerracing.com for 155 delivered
Old 06-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the Comptech's...similar drop to the HR's and I still have the stock shocks...no problem
Old 06-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just got the comptechs, and tokico illumina's as the shocks... i have a 2000 TL with 53k miles on it... so it depends on how long u have used ur shocks- the manual says to switch approximately 60k miles soo i just got new shocks along wtih the springs... hEres somethign to think about which i was told the same-- if ur gona pay to put on springs, might as well get new shocks at the same time if u are due to put on new shocks anyway because you save for labor... incase ur shocks blow after you lower it, your gona have to change them and you'll pay double for the labor- once for the springs and once for the shocks... soo thats why i got both and will be putting them on hopefuly within a week

good luck
Old 06-29-2004, 07:15 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by OU Sig
I have the Comptech's...similar drop to the HR's and I still have the stock shocks...no problem

OU, which comptech springs allow the car to sit as low as the H&R Sports???? I thought the comptech springs were only OE and the Racing, but no sport....
Old 06-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I got H&R sport spring w/ KYB G2 shocks an strut work great!!! Been on my car less then 8month an ride good. Also i have New Toyo Poxes tires on Type S wheels an haven't notices any bad tire wear.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by indoMFP
OU, which comptech springs allow the car to sit as low as the H&R Sports???? I thought the comptech springs were only OE and the Racing, but no sport....

UMMM, I dont know where you got that info...I think you got some info. mixed up.

First of all Comptech springs are comptech springs...they dont make multiple drops. The OE, Racing, and Sport springs are made by HR - different brand totally.

Second of all, the car sits nearly the same as the HR "sports" 1.75 inch drop all around. The difference is the Comptech's have a 1.75 inch drop for the front and a 1.5 inch for the back. Some say it looks funny, but I have a heavy system in the trunk so it is perfectly the same now. If you have a system or have people in the back with the HR's you butt will sag...I think that would look stupid, so I got the Comptech's.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:08 PM
What your problem is?

OU Sig, your right.... I knew the H&R springs came three ways, the OE, Sport, & Racing.... I also assumed that Comptech also had two choices, but the two springs I was looking at was the 2003 with the same drop as the H&R sport springs and then I also looked at the 2004 comptech springs that only drop the car 1 inch... I saw the pictures of the 2nd generations TL and assumed both were for our generation TL..... my bad...

I guess my kindergarden ass should stop looking at the pictures and read more.... but that is hard since I read at like a 3rd grade level....
Old 06-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OU Sig
UMMM, I dont know where you got that info...I think you got some info. mixed up.

First of all Comptech springs are comptech springs...they dont make multiple drops. The OE, Racing, and Sport springs are made by HR - different brand totally.

Second of all, the car sits nearly the same as the HR "sports" 1.75 inch drop all around. The difference is the Comptech's have a 1.75 inch drop for the front and a 1.5 inch for the back. Some say it looks funny, but I have a heavy system in the trunk so it is perfectly the same now. If you have a system or have people in the back with the HR's you butt will sag...I think that would look stupid, so I got the Comptech's.

does the HR Sport bounces a lot for a everyday use?? i like to have that smooth ride, like the stock version. what do you suggest?

OE or Sports ????

compare when you have your stock and after you install your new sports? which
do you think will be a better ride??
Old 06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Boomer SOONER

Well I have the Comptech's so I wouldnt know about the Sports...but, with everyday city driving the ride is a little bit more stiff, but I like it. Like I said in a previous thread I will sacrifice 20% of ride quality for an 80% improvment in looks and cornering.

On the highway I have noticed some more bounces, but that is only on a wavy part and I was going 90MPH.

So, with new springs the ride will be somewhat stiffer - the springs are stiffer, but dont worry, it wont make the ride truck like. You will also notice a vast cornering improvement along with no more stupid wheel gap.

I wouldnt get the OE's unless you have a body kit. The drop just isnt enough for you to really tell. Honestly after I see my drop, I would like another 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch more, but then I would have to worry about getting a camber kit and other problems. So I would recommend the Sports over the OE's any day.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

guys...the H&R sport springs, drop the front 1.75 and back 1.5. not 1.75 all the way around
Old 07-01-2004, 02:06 PM
NYC... How Sweet It Is!!

I'll tell you guys I have the Tein H-Springs and for the money and look they are great. My ride quality is great and it corners like it is on rails. The only complant I have is that I rub with my 18's alittle when people get in.