Louder Sound from Optima Yellow Top Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Louder Sound from Optima Yellow Top Battery?

So I ran into a problem with my sound system. I had an Infinity Perfect 10.1 sub that blew, and I in turn bought a stronger 400 watt RMS amplifier and bought a brand new Infinity Perfect 10 inch VQ subwoofer. I am also running two 3 way speakers in the front seat powered by a 300 watt amp separately. So my amp is brand new, the box is brand new, and the sub is brand new. The problem I started having is that right when I installed the new sub it sounded GREAT!...at first. After listening to it for 10 minutes the power on it almost went silent. Now it runs at like 1/6 power, if that. The stereo shops don't know what the problem is, only thing they could suggest was putting in an Optima Yellow Top battery to allow the system more power. My main questions: 1) Is it worth buying a spare battery that costs around $180? 2) Will it be the answer to my problem? and 3) Which model of the yellow top will fit my 03 acura TL (non type S)?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the battery is the problem.
700 watts / 12 Volts = 58 amps, but that's only at max output. The starter pulls a couple hundred.
If a battery would help, you wouldn't be able to restart the car after it was quieter.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
i dunno if the yellow top fits but i knoe the red top does...and do u have an underdive pulley? sounds like ur alternator cant handle all that juice ur pushin which doesnt make snese
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by L's TL
i dunno if the yellow top fits but i knoe the red top does...and do u have an underdive pulley? sounds like ur alternator cant handle all that juice ur pushin which doesnt make snese
Yellow top and red top are the same size. I agree though, it sounds like an alternator problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
is this problem happening car running or off?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Yeah it happens when the car is running. I just bought a larger better box for the system today and it sounds better, but I still wonder if I should get an optima yellow top or some high performance battery to give the system the fullest power to the amp as possible. I never play my music with the car not running because it sucks battery power. The only reason I would buy a new one is if it helped the loudness or if it helped the sound quality. Let me know what you think...
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
and if you turn it down briefly will the sound come back to where it was?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Advanced

It's loopy sometimes I will turn it on and it will be fine, and other times it will suddenly sound quiet and dull. Hopefully the box is the answer, but I think a different yellow top battery or something more made for car stereo would not be a bad idea. (I am also adding a third infinity amp so I will have 2 amps running four 3 way infinity speakers, and 1 amp running my sub for 2100 watts of sound)
Old 08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

You could check the input voltage to the amp. If the batt is the problem, the voltage will be less when it sounds dull.
Are you going to add the yellow top in the trunk or something, or just replace the battery you have with it? Just replacing the existing one won't provide all that much extra power.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
if the Audio shop is iffy on there analysis... then don't go to them ever again... they should know there shit 100%...

a yellow top will provide that additional capacity in your system... and adding a capacitor (at least 2 Farad) will give your amps that extra power to pull from when the bass gets low... so it doesn't put any additional strain to your electrical system...

Do your lights get dim when the sound weaken????

Like 6spMike said...
Are you going to add the yellow top in the trunk or something, or just replace the battery you have with it?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Racer

your battery has nothing to do with your problem if the car is running. the battery's only purpose is to provide voltage to the car if it is not running and to start the car. the alternator then takes over and supplies the voltage to your amps and the battery filters out the remaining ac voltage that hasnt been filtered from the rectifier bridge in the alternator. i would double check your grounds :on the amps( make sure the amps are on the same ground and in a very good non-painted surface), upgrading the ground wires on your battery and alt. wont hurt.

the cap is there to provide voltage in time of need, "when the voltage spikes"

what kind of radio and wire size are you using? also where is your ground point?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced

I am running a stock stereo unit because I haven't found an aftermarket one that I would like that somewhat matches the stock TL interior. I think it is 8 gauge wire. I'm not sure what you mean by the ground point? They tested my battery at the audio shop and said the levels were fine. The only reason I would get a yellow top is if I really needed it and it sounds like I don't. Would one capacitor help or do I need more than one. Thanks guys
Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cap/Yellow top/alternator?

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
if the Audio shop is iffy on there analysis... then don't go to them ever again... they should know there shit 100%...

a yellow top will provide that additional capacity in your system... and adding a capacitor (at least 2 Farad) will give your amps that extra power to pull from when the bass gets low... so it doesn't put any additional strain to your electrical system...

Do your lights get dim when the sound weaken????

Like 6spMike said...
Are you going to add the yellow top in the trunk or something, or just replace the battery you have with it?
I echo what they have said.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the ground of your amps. this happened to my Orion HCCA 250 before. I did not ground the amp nicely. So the bass would stop pounding once awhile or volume go very low periodically. It turned out that there was grease on the spot where I grounded the amp, but I found out in the hard way as the amp burnt in the end cause of the improper grounding.

DOUBLE CHECK ALL THE GROUNDS AND MAKE SURE IT IS NICELY GROUNDED.

Replacing the current battery with yellow top will not help much, only thing the yellow top does is to last longer when you are draining the battery. Yellow top will allow you to drain the battery completely and recharge it again without dying, I think you can do it up to 200 times on a yellow top while a regular battery would die after 1 or 2 times....

If you plan to add a yellow top, best way to do it is to have it installed in the trunk as a second battery, but you need to install some kind of charging switch so that only one of the batteries are being charged & drained at a time. This is what I was researching to work on before I lost my ex-love (truck).

The cheaper way to go for is to add the cap. Adding a 2 farad + cap will be easier and should provide the juice for the amps when the subs & speakers are pounding hard.

Last resort would be replacing the alternator, make sure you do not get an alternator with a lot higher amp, all you get is engine noise if you don't do it right. The stock alternator should work well if you have a well setup & properly connected system.

Hope it helps,
Peace