Looking for a TL Push

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 09:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a TL Push

At the final cut w/ the TL S and Infiniti G35, looking for some input from the TL S experts. Background ending a lease on a 2000 Maxima, great car, lousy lease program in place w/ Nissan currently, forcing me to look at options. G35 & TL-S close in price. Here's my comparisons (Live in Upstate NY)

1. Exterior look - G35 wins hands down

2. Interior look - close to a draw, TL lacks a couple of features

3. Ride - G35 generates fun. TL has it when you need it, like having Superman in your pocket

4. Reliability - Acura? G35 too new

5. Front wheel vs Rear Wheel Drive

6. Exterior color choices - TL-S very limited
Old 10-25-2002, 10:24 AM
yeah i'm bored.

i was in the same position, went from a 98 max to the tls. definitely tls for me. the g35 i think is a bit ugly. also, the interior sucks a$$ in my opinion.

other impressions:
g35 - brakes were biting too quickly, hard to be smooth
s/s was on the wrong side
the front seat adjuster was next to the center console WTF???
Old 10-25-2002, 10:26 AM
Banned

if u decide on the g35 instead of the tls... wait for the coupe... it looks a helluva a lot better and i beleive its the same price.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Cruisin'

Brakes - I found I liked the firmer response win the G35 when I test drove both cars. I did notice that you really have to step on the TL-S brakes

I hear you on the front seat adjustments locations, wrong spot

A further note is the dealer difference, Acura is way ahead, makes me think I'll see the same w/ the service department?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Coupe in 10 years maybe, too many kids today, need the 4 doors. I think when I'm ready for the coupe it will be the 2012 Z hands down.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Just get the TL type-S with NAVI. You will not regret it one bit. Specially if you are dissapointed in any way with Nissan (Infinity). Besides, just the fact that you are getting a high power vehicle in the place you live should make you opt for front wheel drive (Like what you most likely are used to driving) I mean, how can you even look at the tail of a G35 and consider been seen driving one of those thangs???
Old 10-25-2002, 11:43 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by DowntotheWire
Coupe in 10 years maybe, too many kids today, need the 4 doors. I think when I'm ready for the coupe it will be the 2012 Z hands down.
Looking far ahead thats good.

Considering your location I would have to opt for the TLS. I'm from western NY and the road conditions during the winter call for putting away the RWD cars or putting a bunch of weight in the back coupled with a good set of snow tires. If you are considering putting these two things on your G35 Sedan then that might be a better option but if you don't want to hassle with that the TLS should do well in the least pleasurable of conditions.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

How do the stock tires hold up as an all Season (winter)? I had an Accord 4 years ago, the Michelin's were horrible in anything wet
Old 10-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Daddy

Are you considering the I35 at all? It probably compares better with the TL than the G35.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:13 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
How do the stock tires hold up as an all Season (winter)? I had an Accord 4 years ago, the Michelin's were horrible in anything wet

I'm comparing my experience with my TLP with my old car which was a '97 Toyota Corolla. Car was anemic and light as hell so when I went to start moving on slick/icy pavement i would spin them and/or lose control in a turn.

The stock tires suck there is no denying that, I'm not sure how they will hold up over time in winter conditions but in my experience they are doing fine.

Do you have much experience driving in winter conditions with RWD cars? It is much more important than experience with FWD.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

I was in the situation and I bought the TLS-Navi. I hated the way infiniti dealers tried to sell me the car. Infiniti told me 38,000 for the G35, everything a TLS- navi was giving me and thats not including tax. I went over to Acura and bought a tls-navi the next day. They had the exact car I wanted in stock, i got the underbody kit, spoiler, chrome rims, and the 7 year 100,000 bumper to bumper. I really liked the G35, but Acura just offered me more for my money.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by TLinKC
Are you considering the I35 at all? It probably compares better with the TL than the G35.

Did initially, was not impressed that I was driving anything better than a dressed up maxima. Inventory at my local dealer is just about nil, which makes me think they don't sell too many
Old 10-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by ABDomega

I'm comparing my experience with my TLP with my old car which was a '97 Toyota Corolla. Car was anemic and light as hell so when I went to start moving on slick/icy pavement i would spin them and/or lose control in a turn.

The stock tires suck there is no denying that, I'm not sure how they will hold up over time in winter conditions but in my experience they are doing fine.

Do you have much experience driving in winter conditions with RWD cars? It is much more important than experience with FWD.
Grew up driving w/ RW. It's inevitable that w/ either car, I have to pick the cost of either (4) winter or try and trade for (4) better All Seasons
Old 10-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by NYCTLS
I was in the situation and I bought the TLS-Navi. I hated the way infiniti dealers tried to sell me the car. Infiniti told me 38,000 for the G35, everything a TLS- navi was giving me and thats not including tax. I went over to Acura and bought a tls-navi the next day. They had the exact car I wanted in stock, i got the underbody kit, spoiler, chrome rims, and the 7 year 100,000 bumper to bumper. I really liked the G35, but Acura just offered me more for my money.
2 days and still waiting for final G35 pricing, Acura just called and brough the $ down a notch. Now if they could just get me a more manly shifter!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:49 PM
yeah i'm bored.

my salesman at infiniti was a real sleazeball too, but dont let that factor in, you'll never see him again, but you have the car for a few years.

i still say tl-s, the g35 at a comparable price is completely stripped down. its gonna run you 38k for a fully loaded version.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by agean
my salesman at infiniti was a real sleazeball too, but dont let that factor in, you'll never see him again, but you have the car for a few years.

i still say tl-s, the g35 at a comparable price is completely stripped down. its gonna run you 38k for a fully loaded version.
You might be suprised? The TL-S is coming as is at about 31K. There are few options beyond spoiler and underbody that could be added from the dealer.

The G-35 w/ Winter package, Premium Package, Xenon is coming in at 32K. Lease pricing is almost equal based on residual.

In the last 3 months, i have seen a complete recycling at Infiniti dealer from the Manager to the Sales reps. Just nice to have a friend in sales when you have a service issue
Old 10-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd get the G35 since the TL is gonna change.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by 1999TL
I'd get the G35 since the TL is gonna change.
Since I will lease, I'm not as bothered by the upcoming change to the TL. Just looking for TL value input and feedback. After an extensive test drive, I would describe the TL-S like a recent review, a decathlete, not neccesarily the best at any (1) event, but places in the top
Old 10-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

I had the same choice a few months back and bought the 03 TLS, but now I wish I didn't. The car still has several problems that have not been fixed correctly by the dealer and when I called Acura for their help, that turned out to be a waste of time. I think the TLS is a decent car, but the company behind the car needs to grow up. What I have found is that Acura tries to be a top end car company, but they don't have the infrastructure setup to make that really work. How they handled the transmission problem is a good example. If I were given the choice again I would go with another car, just so I don't have to deal with all the hassles from the local dealers and Acura when I have a problem. All new cars are going to have problems, but if the manufacture it self has flaws when dealing with customers, you will end up as the looser! Just read through the board and see how many people complain about dealer problems!

JimJ
Old 10-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Almost November in the lake-effect capital of the world. Forget both and get an Audi or maybe a Jeep.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Race Director

You Might Also Consider IS300 or S4
Old 10-25-2002, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

why not hit up a BMW then? go for a 330i loaded and u cud get it for 38k ... or how bout an audi A4 quattro 3.0... get that for around 36-37k loaded.. minus the nav. 330i will handle better, be fast and will please the wife and kids cuz they get their own doors. Find out the pricing and go order the bmw (though in 2004 theyre gonna up the HP so thats something u need to think bout)
Old 10-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Daddy

Did initially, was not impressed that I was driving anything better than a dressed up maxima. Inventory at my local dealer is just about nil, which makes me think they don't sell too many
Now, you realize that the TL is nothing but a "dressed up" Accord? You will hear people call your TL an Accord all day long.

Another thing to consider is there are a bazillion TL's on the road where there are very few G35's on the road. If being different is part of your decision, the G35 wins hands down. Even a few years down the road I can't imagine the G35 being as popular as the TL simply due to RWD vs FWD.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Now, you realize that the TL is nothing but a "dressed up" Accord? You will hear people call your TL an Accord all day long.

Another thing to consider is there are a bazillion TL's on the road where there are very few G35's on the road. If being different is part of your decision, the G35 wins hands down. Even a few years down the road I can't imagine the G35 being as popular as the TL simply due to RWD vs FWD.

Ah, you hit one of my decision struggles. Tons on Camry & Accords on the Hiway this weekend. Did see a couple of TL's, but no G35's

Taking one last look at VW Passat 6 AWD & Saab 9.5 this week. Will also be driving the G35 at night to see firsthand comments on dashboard glare
Old 10-28-2002, 11:39 AM
Daddy

I would stay clear of the VW. I have three friends that have purchased Passats within the last two years and all three of them HATE them! One friend has her Passat in the dealership at least every-other month for warranty work.

If you do go with VW, get the extended warranty.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

A neighbor bought a G35 about 6 weeks ago. It just looks ok, not like he spent 35k plus tax on it.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally dont like the G35's looks. Its a great car but its hard to get over the tail. TLS is definately the best bang for your buck IMHO.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Re: Looking for a TL Push

At the final cut w/ the TL S and Infiniti G35
I'd think the TLS is a better value. If the total price of the G35 is a few thou more, I'd think BMW or Audi... but the cabin in both of those are smaller than the TLS/G35....

That "new" looking rear end of the G35 will probably look dated soon....

Hard choices - it's fun to shop for rides. The longer you wait, the more choices you'll have!

_
Old 10-28-2002, 11:13 PM
Instructor

I would stay clear of the VW. I have three friends that have purchased Passats within the last two years and all three of them HATE them! One friend has her Passat in the dealership at least every-other month for warranty work.

If you do go with VW, get the extended warranty.
Amen. I had a friend who's returned hers under the Lemon Law.

_
Old 10-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Re: Re: Looking for a TL Push

Originally posted by eggbert

I'd think the TLS is a better value. If the total price of the G35 is a few thou more, I'd think BMW or Audi... but the cabin in both of those are smaller than the TLS/G35....

That "new" looking rear end of the G35 will probably look dated soon....

Hard choices - it's fun to shop for rides. The longer you wait, the more choices you'll have!

_
Well said! I ruled out the Passat after a test drive yesterday. Took the G35 home for a test last night, ..... Debating whether to test a dealer demo 2002 Saab 9.5 or just end the saga
Old 10-29-2002, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by eggbert

Amen. I had a friend who's returned hers under the Lemon Law.

_
I wasn't impressed, a stiff riding car
Old 10-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3
why not hit up a BMW then? go for a 330i loaded and u cud get it for 38k ... or how bout an audi A4 quattro 3.0... get that for around 36-37k loaded.. minus the nav. 330i will handle better, be fast and will please the wife and kids cuz they get their own doors. Find out the pricing and go order the bmw (though in 2004 theyre gonna up the HP so thats something u need to think bout)
W/ both the cabin is too small compared to the TL and G35. I was in a 335 over the weekend. Felt crapmped in from t passenger seat. Backseat riders didn't enjoy at all, with my seat back. It forces me to look at the 5 seris from BMW or the Audi A8, lots more $ to get the size you find in the TL and G35
Old 10-29-2002, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by sssick
I personally dont like the G35's looks. Its a great car but its hard to get over the tail. TLS is definately the best bang for your buck IMHO.
That's a tough one w/ the upcoming 2004 change coming for the TL. If the change the exterior to be more appealing, there will some unhappy 2003 owners. I have the same dilemna w/ the Maxima
Old 10-29-2002, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

G35 rear end

Acura TL. Class.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A couple of points:

1. The TL is the best value for the money, hands down. I bought my TL-P a few months before the G35 was released. Test drove it to see if I missed anything. Nope! The G35 interior was cheaper-looking, the same options that come standard on the TL were options (re: $100's). The driving experience was pretty good, though, and I like the way the G35 looks. Overall, I'm still happy with my TL even with the potential tranny issue (knocks on wood).

2. You live in upstate New York. A front-driver will serve you better there. Additionally, the stock tires suck in rain or snow. I recommend a switch to either the Michelin A/S Sport or what I have, Dunlop SP Sport 5000s, "all weather" sport tires. They may get you through light snow and have excellent grip in dry and wet weather. Or you can just invest in a good set of snows...
Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

I need to make my decision next week. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know what I decided on and why. The TL-s is one of 3 as I go down to the wire!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:03 AM
Cruisin'

I'm going forward w/ final negotiations for the G35. After talking w/ Acura yesterday, the 2004 (TLX) sounds like it would fit my car needs better than the 2004. Unfortunately my lease won't wait.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pop back on in a few months and let you know if I'm still feeling like I made the right call
Old 11-14-2002, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

Not sure how this happened, but I'm sitting behind the wheel of an 03 Maxima SE. Must have been those comments on the rear end of the G35.

See you on the street!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Get the G35 COUPE with MANUAL....screw the TLS...tranny sucks...some people had it replaced 4 times!!! I'm sick of this sh*t.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:19 AM
Advanced

I hate to say this but there's already been a massive recall on all g35's!!! Something to do with the fuel line, or pump something along these lines...fuel lines will break and leak gas. That can't be good!!!