Looking to buy an 02 TL S - questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an 02 TL S - questions

I am looking to buy an 02 TL Type S with 97K.........what are some things/issues that I should keep my eyes open for? I am aware of potential tranny problems on the G2 TL's, but is there anything that would tip me off to this (outside of ugly colored tranny fluid)? As I understand it, I am covered to 109K (or 5% more than that). Are there any other model specific quirks to keep my eyes open for? Given the mileage, there are some obvious maintenence things to look for (i.e. timing belt, water pump, brakes, tires, belts, etc.)............anything else?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Volks FTW!!!

i think the tranny is the biggest thing to watch out for. it is kind of high mileage but what i tell everyone is make sure the car's had it's proper tune up and maintenance. it goes a long way. i've seen cars with 45k that ride like shit and cars with 100k+ that ride like new. check with the owner to see if it's the original tranny. make sure all belts have been replaced and there are no leaks on any of the engine seals. if something looks wet in the engine bay, it's not a good sign.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pnthr30
I am looking to buy an 02 TL Type S with 97K.........what are some things/issues that I should keep my eyes open for? I am aware of potential tranny problems on the G2 TL's, but is there anything that would tip me off to this (outside of ugly colored tranny fluid)? As I understand it, I am covered to 109K (or 5% more than that). Are there any other model specific quirks to keep my eyes open for? Given the mileage, there are some obvious maintenence things to look for (i.e. timing belt, water pump, brakes, tires, belts, etc.)............anything else?

Thanks.
The tranny is one issue that can only be answered by the dealer. If the previous owner had it fixed elsewhere, Honda would not have it on record. Get a Carfax on the VIN and ask for the service records and receipts if the owner kept them. Use the VIN to verify with Honda if it is still covered on the extended. Beware of the flood damaged cars as well.

At this mileage, timing belt should have been done. If water pump is still original, it can go anytime. Brakes, belts and hoses and plugs are all up to you. I would get them checked anyway, regardless of what the seller told you, just for peace of mind.

As for tipping you off, if the seller wants to point out everything else but the tranny, ask more questions about it. Hesitating or delayed upshifts, a flashing D5 (or D4) light may mean the tranny is gone or about to go.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys...........tranny is covered until 109K (currently at 97K). According to the dealer, it has been checked, but not replaced. Unfortunately, I have limited maintenence history available, so I am forced to assume the worst. To my knowledge, timing belt and water pump have not been done. So, I will likely just take a fair amount off the price, and do an extensive tune up (timing belt, water pump, check/replace other belts hoses, fluids, etc.). I would be doing all that stuff myself, so it isn't like I am just throwing money away. The brakes (rotors and pads) were just replaced, so I don't have to worry about that. Other minor things I noticed were that the one touch auto power window didn't work (power window does work, just not the one-touch feature). I am guessing that is just a bad contact issue which can be solved with a good cleaning. Also, I am not sure if the heated seats work property (possibly a bad relay?). The tires are brand new, but the rims have a bit of rash and clearcoat cancer. Body is in excellent shape, and interior is in good to very good condition. Also, the lights on the visors don't work........maybe a fuse/short, etc. Not a big deal to me.

How do the memory seats work in these cars? Does the car have to be in park? Off?

At the end of the day, what do you guys think is a fair price for this car? (02 TL S blue with black interior) I would say it is good condition, but is definitely not mint. However, I think with a little TLC, it could be brought up to very good condition. Should I make a run at this, or continue to look.......keeping in mind, I am trying to find a Type S (which in my limited experience seem to be somewhat difficult to find at a reasonable price - most I have seen are at dealers for WAY to much).

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i wouldnt pay more then 12k for it
Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Advanced

He is asking $11K.....I was thinking of offering him $9K........does that seem fair reasonable (for me of course, not him haha)?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
How and why did the dealer inspect the trans-
there was a recall for install of oil spray bar which they did a boroscope inspection of certain part, but thats totally different than the trans failure part- and if a service record of it being complained about and checked but not found- then expect trans to fail- the flashing D5 light is a sure sign! as well as slipping etc- read up on the www.acura.com site about symptoms

The 105k service: 1000-1200$ dealer or less private shop. its a pain to do and does require special tools to remove crank pulley

Acura Care has all the warranty history on the car and any extended warranties or recalls such as trans, and some 02s got a free water pump and something else
CALL 1-800-382-2238 x5 6a-5p pacific time
give them the VIN and ask for records check before buying- they will happily look up the car for you

The only maitenance required so far is basic inspections and oil changes
Get the brake fluid flushed- probably wasnt done
Find out brand of rotors and pads- quality is important on these cars

The seat heat- driver gets lumbar and butt heat- on low it gets warm and stays there, on high it gets hot till it hits limit sensor and shuts off- cools down and comes on again
Should be used on high for a few minutes then switched to low setting for use

Passenger only gets butt heat no low back heat- ---side airbag issue

Door switches- could need new switch or someone spilled drink in there- same happens to shifter- beware- look under the removable cup holder for signs of soda spills
Seat memory? my 01 has no memory - just adjustments

Make the call and if good news there- have a private shop inspect the car for you
Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Team Owner

Also look in the Off Topic section here- at the top of each page is the link-
and see Private Sales-
you can post a wanted ad, and see if any cars to your liking are already for sale by members
Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the insight 01tl4tl, I appreciate it. I will make the call tomorrow and see what I can find out. The guy I am buying it from is under the impression that the warranty on the tranny is till 100K, and he recently took the car in. I am guessing that he wanted to have it check out before the warranty ran out. The note at the dealer said something to the effect of "customer hear a noise similar to running feet" or something strange like that.......dealer could not replicate, inspected and gave it a good bill of health. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Patience is a virtue....

that seems like a fair price for the car 9k, good luck
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Also look in the Off Topic section here- at the top of each page is the link-
and see Private Sales-
you can post a wanted ad, and see if any cars to your liking are already for sale by members
I am looking in there, but apparently can't post a WTB ad yet because I am a newb.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

You need 30 post to your name in order to join in on the black Market- spend a few minutes and get your cred established- its to prevent spammers from taking over our forum
The trans warranty is 7/109 so be sure you know exactly what was going on when it went in for service. If it goes out at 110, you have proof they could not find it before and they will still honor the warranty
Old 06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Advanced

I read somewhere about a class action lawsuit claiming that the odometer rolled a bit to fast, so if you push, the actual warranty should be for 5% more than 109K. I believe I read that on this board.......but I could be mistaken.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Team Owner

That is correct- and IF you have had the car in several times before 100k and they cant reproduce trans prob- then it fails at 111- you have an solid issue to work on

If first attempt to find prob at 115- good luck!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced

thanks for the insights.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

Make sure the heated seat works i just had mine fix luckily for me i had the extended warranty