Little update... :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Little update... :(

Haven't been in 2nd gen section for a while. So I'm coming up on 173,000 miles on the car and its been in my family for its whole 10 years. I've been driving it since 08 and there are quite a few problems building up. And I've never had the money to do these services and my dad really doesn't want to put money in it.

So after having a flat and going to firestone to repair it I've come to a realization that it can go really soon

So before firestone this is what I knew.

I'm way overdue for a new timing belt/water pump, I need new wiper blades, my powersteering hose has a leak, transmissions weird, need new transmission mounts. After firestone did their courtesy check, and telling me my flat can't be fixed since the nail is to far to the side this has been added to the list.
New tires, radiator hose is crakcking, my cvt boot is torn, I need a new cabin air filter, new brake light, transmission and brake fluid flush soon, and I believe thats it.

I'm sad now after this realization. Also the fact that I dont really need a car, so if this goes I will still be fine since I go to college and live walking distance away.

I have no money and the repairs would total or go above the cars worth. So I'm basically keeping it till it dies, and fixing the things to keep it running that doesn't cost a leg and an arm.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same exact position that you are in right now. My dad left his 99' BMW 740i in the garage for a while and took my sister's car since his car was about to die soon. I asked him if I could take it and he said yes. Car had dead bulbs everywhere, almost 200k miles with the speedometer broken so the miles never went up and I never knew how fast I was going. But the rpms worked so I used my GPS and memorized around how fast I was going when I was at a certain rpm in that gear. CEL, Traction Control and some other light was on. Transmission slipped once in a while. Engine was knocking It was a mess but I just drove it until it died after about a year later. Only got 1 oil change too and changed a few bulbs. I think engine died from VANOS failure. About a 2-3g fix if I remember correctly so of course I didn't do it. And I don't need a car anyways but just wanted one. But that was one of the most comfortable cars to drive. Anyways...

I would suggest just driving it til it dies like I did. And if you are a car guy, this would be the perfect chance for you to work on the car and play around with it and learn some stuff. And if you mess something up then who cares cause it was going to die anyways. And in the meantime, saved up for another car.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
depending on what the trans is doing- 3 qts of the new honda fluid may prolong its lifespan a bit-- DO NOT let them do a `flush` or it will kill the trans

cv boot torn means grease goes out and grit goes in--keep an ear on it for clicking or other noises indicating its about to take the entire wheel and axle and depart the car!

cabin filter 20 dollar diy
brake fluid 10 dollar diy
brake light bulb-comes in 2 pack- 5 dollars

best of luck keeping it going!!
many people have more miles on OE tbelt, so keep saying your prayers and praise your car daily for getting you around~ whatever you feel will help
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Do the DIY that he mentioned. All cheap and can be fun to learn if you don't know how to do them. I sure had fun with the detailed DIY on this forum. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM. Also wiper blades. They are cheap and there are always good deals on them. Even with these little things, you will appreciate the car a lot more when its done.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Haven't been in 2nd gen section for a while. So I'm coming up on 173,000 miles on the car and its been in my family for its whole 10 years. I've been driving it since 08 and there are quite a few problems building up. And I've never had the money to do these services and my dad really doesn't want to put money in it.

So after having a flat and going to firestone to repair it I've come to a realization that it can go really soon

So before firestone this is what I knew.

I'm way overdue for a new timing belt/water pump, I need new wiper blades, my powersteering hose has a leak, transmissions weird, need new transmission mounts. After firestone did their courtesy check, and telling me my flat can't be fixed since the nail is to far to the side this has been added to the list.
New tires, radiator hose is crakcking, my cvt boot is torn, I need a new cabin air filter, new brake light, transmission and brake fluid flush soon, and I believe thats it.

I'm sad now after this realization. Also the fact that I dont really need a car, so if this goes I will still be fine since I go to college and live walking distance away.

I have no money and the repairs would total or go above the cars worth. So I'm basically keeping it till it dies, and fixing the things to keep it running that doesn't cost a leg and an arm.
Sell it....... to meeeeeeeee