Lighted Window Switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004 | 12:44 AM
10th Gear

Lighted Window Switches

I have a 99 TL. Is there an easy way to replace the non-lighted power window switches with lighted ones? If so, where should I go to get them and how difficult a mod is it? Thanks.............
Old 11-25-2004 | 05:44 AM
Instructor

thats a gay idea. dont do it.
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:13 AM
10th Gear

I really appreciate your reply heehaaw!

Anybody else have an idea about this?

Thanks.............
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

which ones dont light up? all mine do on my 2000, UNLESS the window lock is on then ONLY the drivers lights up
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:31 AM
10th Gear

All four light up on the driver's door, but the individual ones on the three other doors do not. I don't think the window lock affects it, but I could be wrong. Off to the garage to take a look.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:39 AM
10th Gear

fsttyms1 - I just went out to look at the switches and the three that don't light up do not have the small rectangle piece that actually lights up. That must have been changed on the 2000 TL and beyond. I can't imagine this being that difficult a mod, do you? I thought I saw this posted previously, but I could be wrong. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again........
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pgolfco
fsttyms1 - I just went out to look at the switches and the three that don't light up do not have the small rectangle piece that actually lights up. That must have been changed on the 2000 TL and beyond. I can't imagine this being that difficult a mod, do you? I thought I saw this posted previously, but I could be wrong. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again........
hum, they must have changed it then?? i would say see if you can get ahold of them from a salvage yard to see if they work
Old 11-25-2004 | 10:06 AM
10th Gear

fsttyms1 - When you said that all of yours light up, did you mean all four switches on the driver's door or ALL of the swithces on all of the doors? Just making sure I am clear on this.

Thanks........
Old 11-25-2004 | 10:16 AM
Instructor

I really appreciate your reply heehaaw!

Anybody else have an idea about this?

Thanks.............
hey man no problem

i'm here for YOU.
Old 11-25-2004 | 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks again........
pgolfco:

Going by memory, the driver side window switch is the only window switch that lights up in the bank of 4 window switches on the 99 TL; the other 3 window switches controlled by the driver does not have the rectangle piece that lights up. I'll have to go take another look after work to double check.

Yeah, I was thinking how ghey this is was when I first got the TL, and was contemplating about swapping out the non-light window switches to lighted ones.
Old 11-25-2004 | 11:12 AM
10th Gear

patrick - All four of my switches light up on the driver's door, but it is the other three doors that I would like to be illuminated. I can see the little rectangle tabs on each switch on the driver's door, but the switches on the three other doors do not have these little rectangles. Do you know of any past posts that address this. I just recently started doing some very minor mods and this one can't be that difficult. Do you agree?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-25-2004 | 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

patrick - All four of my switches light up on the driver's door, but it is the other three doors that I would like to be illuminated. I can see the little rectangle tabs on each switch on the driver's door, but the switches on the three other doors do not have these little rectangles. Do you know of any past posts that address this. I just recently started doing some very minor mods and this one can't be that difficult. Do you agree?

Thanks for your reply.
Hmm, all four lights up on yours you say? I'm gonna have to double check this on my TL (I coulda sworn it was only the driver's side window switch in the bank of 4 switches that does this - unless there is a difference between US and Canadian TL models )...maybe I need to get those bulbs replaced! No, I have not seen any past posts that fixes the other 3 doors' switches. It shouldn't be hard to swap out the non-lighted switches for lighted ones, but since I've never done it before, I can't say for certain. We would need to get lighted switches from a 2000 and up TL to retrofit ours.
Old 11-25-2004 | 03:23 PM
Kollage is funn!

this is a big deal for me too...it looks nice to have light in the switches @ night....my 01 ex-v6 accord had them lit on the drivers side control panel, but NOT the individual switches...my 03 TL-S has them all lit.

i bet you could find a way to mount an LED, and tap the power from somewhere.
Old 11-25-2004 | 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

on mine all 4 on the driver switch light up AND the other 3 dors do too, unless the lock out switch is off then ALL the lights turn off except the drivers window
Old 11-25-2004 | 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK, I just checked my window switches more closely this evening. And yes, only the driver's window switch is lighted (the other 3 switches does not light up), so I did remember correctly. Don't ask me why, but I just decided to gently rubbed the front passenger window switch - lo and behold! a bare glimmer of light shone through! After a bit more rubbing and peeling, I removed a black sticker/film over the light, and now both my driver and passenger window switches (on driver's side) light up! I haven't rubbed the rear switches yet to see if they are a plastic film, but I assume they are as pgolfco's bank of 4 window switches on his driver's side light up.

pgolfco: before you replace the window switches on the other 3 doors, I suggest doing some light rubbing and see if a plastic film comes off the window switch. I'm betting that is a definite possibility. I am really confused: why did Honda do such a retarded thing as putting light window switches, but cover them up with plastic film? Doesn't make sense.
Old 11-29-2004 | 12:48 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Originally Posted by heehaaw
thats a gay idea. dont do it.

Why the hell is that gay? LOL... anyways, yea I dont know what the hell is wrong with my 99. None of my switches light up. I think the body shop fucked it up when they took the door panel off my driver door, but who knows. I have always wanted all my switches to light up so I can actually see them, but I've just never had the energy to play around with it.
Old 11-29-2004 | 07:39 AM
Instructor

on my 99, the driver's side switches only have the last 2 lit up (aka for the RL & RR windows) kinda annoying.. but i'm too lazy to take the door apart
Old 11-29-2004 | 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Comet2404
Why the hell is that gay? LOL... anyways, yea I dont know what the hell is wrong with my 99. None of my switches light up. I think the body shop fucked it up when they took the door panel off my driver door, but who knows. I have always wanted all my switches to light up so I can actually see them, but I've just never had the energy to play around with it.
if the window lock is on none but the drivers will light up. if they aent lit i dont know what the prob would be. cause if there isnt power to the swithc to make them light up, the switch couldnt operate the windows.
Old 11-29-2004 | 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by patrick
OK, I just checked my window switches more closely this evening. And yes, only the driver's window switch is lighted (the other 3 switches does not light up), so I did remember correctly. Don't ask me why, but I just decided to gently rubbed the front passenger window switch - lo and behold! a bare glimmer of light shone through! After a bit more rubbing and peeling, I removed a black sticker/film over the light, and now both my driver and passenger window switches (on driver's side) light up! I haven't rubbed the rear switches yet to see if they are a plastic film, but I assume they are as pgolfco's bank of 4 window switches on his driver's side light up.

pgolfco: before you replace the window switches on the other 3 doors, I suggest doing some light rubbing and see if a plastic film comes off the window switch. I'm betting that is a definite possibility. I am really confused: why did Honda do such a retarded thing as putting light window switches, but cover them up with plastic film? Doesn't make sense.
Could it maybe be DIRT you are rubbing off ??
Old 11-29-2004 | 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Could it maybe be DIRT you are rubbing off ??
I keep my interior as clean as possible. So it was not dirt that I rubbed off, it was actually a piece of black film that looked very similar to the texture of the window switch. I haven't rubbed off the last 2 film on the rear window switches yet, but I'll take some before and after pics just to show you what I mean (when I get around to it).
Old 11-29-2004 | 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by patrick
I keep my interior as clean as possible. So it was not dirt that I rubbed off, it was actually a piece of black film that looked very similar to the texture of the window switch. I haven't rubbed off the last 2 film on the rear window switches yet, but I'll take some before and after pics just to show you what I mean (when I get around to it).
haha just playing. i dont know why there would be a plastic film over them though. i never had to do that to mine
Old 11-29-2004 | 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
haha just playing. i dont know why there would be a plastic film over them though. i never had to do that to mine
Yeah, I know. It's all cool...I'll take pics and you can see for yourself how ghey Honda made it.