Legend to 3.2TL transition??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 12:36 AM

Question Legend to 3.2TL transition??

I have a '93 Legend with 135K and am contemplating switching to a 2000 3.2TL. I love my Legend and was wondering if any of you guys had gone from Legends to TL's and what your opinions are. I have driven a TL and really liked it but I just wonder how much less car you get for $10,000 less cash, not counting inflation.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2001, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I used to have a 91 Legend myself and got a 99 MB C280 Sport after that...but that car didn't cut it, so I got rid of it after a week and got an 01 TL. It's very similar to the Legend..somethings you'll miss are the memory seats and the tilt headrests. Otherwise your not missing a beat...oh and definitely get the Navi....if you don't you'll be sorry...
Old 09-08-2001, 01:11 AM
Banned

I don't think the TL has much more to offer other than Factory HID headlights and optional navigation. I have a 92 legend LS. I love it. I often get upset about not being able to have Navi and OEM HID but I have learned to suck it up. The Legend is a great car and is in my opinion better than a TL. Better looking, fast, handles awesome. My vote is that you keep the legend. The TL's are nice, just kind of girly-type and Camry looking.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 92legend
I don't think the TL has much more to offer other than Factory HID headlights and optional navigation. I have a 92 legend LS. I love it. I often get upset about not being able to have Navi and OEM HID but I have learned to suck it up. The Legend is a great car and is in my opinion better than a TL. Better looking, fast, handles awesome. My vote is that you keep the legend. The TL's are nice, just kind of girly-type and Camry looking.
WTF??? What are u smoking...girly type camry??? hells no...

I mean I gotta admit the Legend was a car in it's time..but you don't even a have TL...and can't talk sh!t about it.

You could get some Aftermarket HID and aftermarket navi for it, then it'll be the same...

But remember nothing beats a new car...
Old 09-08-2001, 01:54 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing Legend kicks TL's A$$ good is the fit/finish. Fit/Finish on Legend is far better than TL/TLS... handling, they are about par when comparing Legend to TL-P.... Legend Coupe compares well with TLS...

But something about Acura that always bothering me is, no matter how hard they tried, you still have that "entry-level luxury" feel to it?? Maybe except NSX.....

Andy Kuo
Old 09-08-2001, 03:27 AM
Pro

i use to have a 91 legend also. Best car i ever had. I would still have it if i didnt wreck it. so i now that i have a Tl. it not much of a differents except for the body style. i might end up getting another legend for work and keep the TL for the weekend. But its too damn hard to find a low mile legend now days. At least in the 90k range
Old 09-08-2001, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Do you have a death wish, you are going to get flamed on this site. Go back to the Legend site.

Anyway, back in 1992, Honda made greater quality vehicles as evidenced by my 1992 Accord EX-R(best all around reliable car I have owned). However the newer Hondas/Acuras are nicer to drive, but quality? I always loved the older Legends. But the new TLs are hot.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:40 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My vote is that you keep the legend. The TL's are nice, just kind of girly-type and Camry looking.
man, that's worse than the time some Lexus dealer punk called the TL "an old man's car"
Old 09-08-2001, 10:01 AM
Racer

Talking

i had a 89 Lengend...which i lost cuz i broke it, but as everyone said ur not going to miss much...and pls dont flame me but i kinda like the Lengend style a bit over the TL's style....but dont get me wrong i love my TL talked my parents into getting the TL for me cuz the wanted to get me an IS300 or RX300

-amit
Old 09-08-2001, 10:26 AM
Instructor

you gotta let go man.....

out with the old, in with the new!
Old 09-08-2001, 09:44 PM
O.G.

I sense jealousy here. Why can't you give some credit to the TL? Damn that OEM HID and Nav is really getting to you huh. I will admit that the Legend was one hell of a car and the fit/finish is better because it wasn't made here but everything else goes to the TL.

Remember, jealousy is the best form of flattery!
Old 09-08-2001, 10:27 PM
Pro

One thing that the Tl dont have is memory seats and legend does. To me i think thats the only thing that legend have over Tl.
I have a short Gf so i have to adjust the damn thing everytime i go in it.Beside that, Tl beats it in everything else
Old 09-09-2001, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Bear in mind the successor to the Legend was the RL, not TL....the successor to the Vigor was the TL..
Ed
Old 09-09-2001, 02:07 AM
4dr & I like it that way

Eactly, the TL replaced the Vigor. I used to have a 94 Vigor, awesome car, but someone turned left in front of me from a side road one day and it got totalled I just got a used 99 TL to replace it. As far as comparison, the Vigor definitely had a sportier feel to it then the TL, it handled better and had a MUCH smaller turn radius. The TL is far more comfortable to drive though, and is noticeably faster on the freeway. I still miss my Vigor, but Acura has certainly refined its mid-range car with the TL.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:09 AM
Instructor

doesn't TL-S have memory seats? or all TL's for 2002?
Old 09-09-2001, 12:09 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by iatacs19
doesn't TL-S have memory seats? or all TL's for 2002?
TL-S for sure....I know the both CL's have memory seats....I'm not too sure about regular 02 TL's......anyone know this?
Old 09-09-2001, 01:19 PM
AC
Drifting

IMO, it's time for you to move on. I mean 135K miles, c'mon. I once had a 94 Legend and regreted getting rid of it then. Now, hell I don't care cuz it happened a long time a go.

As far as comparison of the two, AKRY I would say nailed it. Fit/Finish are not the same on the two cars, perhaps cuz the Legend was build in Japan, but who knows if that's the reason. I know that after 60K miles on my Legend, it only went to the dealer for maintenance and oil changes only. My TL went in for a variety of reasons. As far as the HID's , yeah it's kinda cool that it's standard on the TL, but that alone should not be a reason why one car is better than the other. I recall my Legend have auto steering up/down and telescopic and the Legend being roomier and a bit more head room.

Performance, the Legend and TL are about the same, but if I recall I believe the Legend had better high end compared to my TL's sluggish 4th and 5th. You have to ask yourself, what it is you're looking for in a car. If it's total luxury/performance, hell get a 540i (you won't regret it ...hehe) But seriously, consider what will make or break a car buying decision for you and go from there. All I can say is that both the Legend and TL are good cars. Although I would certaninly give the Legend an edge over the TL in several ascpects. But also consider that Technology has come a long way since the last Legend was manufactured.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2001, 01:22 PM
AC
Drifting

Oh and also, the Legend didn't share the Accord's platform thus making the car a bit bigger.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:14 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by AC
You have to ask yourself, what it is you're looking for in a car. If it's total luxury/performance, hell get a 540i (you won't regret it ...hehe)
especially with the manual transmission !!!
Old 09-09-2001, 03:29 PM

Talking The legend is a better car...

The legend is a better car... mostly cos I dont like 4 doors . I was in a similar situation as you last year and was really looking towards a Legend, but ended up purchasing a Lexus SC series GT. Other cars you might want to look at are the Lexus SC430 (coupe drop top) or the Lexus GS430 if you absolutely have to have 4 doors. I'm not a fan of MB and BMW's are too common. The only problem I see with both the TL and Legend are Front wheel drive. Dont get me wrong. Front wheel drive is all good for the average driver, and it has a safety factor of understeer inherently built in, but I like to take to the track once in a while which swayed my decision to buy a Lexus SC. Also the jap spec SC series GT has heaps more power.

Toan.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:33 PM
Pro

The best thing i like about legend is the back taillight in the trunk on the 94 coupe. makes the car look really good. IMO.
Old 09-09-2001, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Davediego
Eactly, the TL replaced the Vigor. I used to have a 94 Vigor, awesome car, but someone turned left in front of me from a side road one day and it got totalled I just got a used 99 TL to replace it. As far as comparison, the Vigor definitely had a sportier feel to it then the TL, it handled better and had a MUCH smaller turn radius. The TL is far more comfortable to drive though, and is noticeably faster on the freeway. I still miss my Vigor, but Acura has certainly refined its mid-range car with the TL.
I too had a 1994 Vigor GS, which I got rid of because the back seat was too small for my family. My wife and I loved that car, but please, its a stretch to say it is better than the TL, especially, the 2002 model. Perhaps the 1999 model is not as nice. Also 55 HP difference. IMHO the 2002 TL is way better than the Vigor. How else do you explain that the Vigor was a sales flop that only was on sale for 3 years, and the TL has had great sales since 1996 and in particular since the 1999 model.
Old 09-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Advanced

i have a 91 legend in stick and just got a 2002 tl non nav in diamond white.. i love my legend but love my tl more.. i feel the legend might have a drop more pick up from the get go but ride and comfort is no comparison... the tl is tops!!

babybau!!!
Old 09-09-2001, 08:29 PM
Pro

I have an 87 Legend and was really looking for a 94-95 Legend GS. The problem is they are either very pricey or high milers.

IMHO, the Legend is twice the car of the TL, both in quality and road feel. Don't get me wrong, I think the TL is great, but it is no Legend GS. Some GS's even had six speeds. Sweet car! Unfortunately, the 95 GS Legends were going for $22K+ for a 6 year old car, ouch. We opted for the 2002 Type S. I love the car & it comes with a new car warranty. Worth the extra $$ in my book.

BTW, all 2002 TL's come with memory seats.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:55 PM
Certified Lurker

Get a new car

I have a 89 legend and although i love my car i would defentily get a new tl over keeping it. I am probably going to get either a cl or rsx after the winter, but i/my family has gotin plenty out of the legend, but sometimes you just have to let go.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:30 PM

I still have the foggiest idea why Acura got rid of the names, I liked em and they were cool, Integra, Vigor, Legend really cool names and everyone kinda had an idea what is was.

Now RL, Tl, CL, RSX nobody has the foggiest idea what car it is, they should have kept the names.

For instance my bud with the Cl no one knows what it is and when he says an Acura, people respond with Legend? He hates that.

Rl replaced the Legend but the Tl is more in the original Legend's price range so people think the tl is it's replacement.

if u want to stay with Acura Tl is the obvious choice as the Legend replacement for you.
Old 09-10-2001, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BLEXV6

I too had a 1994 Vigor GS, which I got rid of because the back seat was too small for my family. My wife and I loved that car, but it would be a stretch to say it is better than the TL, especially, the 2002 TL model. Perhaps the 1999 model is not as nice. Also 55 HP difference. IMHO the 2002 TL is way better than the Vigor. How else do you explain that the Vigor was a sales flop that only was on sale for 3 years, and the TL has had great sales since 1996 and in particular since the 1999 model.
I had a '93 Vigor GS. The Vigor had more of a "hunkered down" look to it. From an acceleration standpoint the '99-'02s will definitely out run a Vigor, a TLS will eat it for lunch.

I'm undecided on handling. The Vigor was a little more balanced weight-wise based on the engine layout (longintudinal vs. transverse). The TL (non-S) seems to be tuned a little more towards luxury vs. handling.

If your looking for more of a luxury ride, advantage TL.

The leather seats in the Vigor (and Legends) were ALL-leather, not the partial stuff in the TL.

From a content and bang-for-your buck standpoint, the TL beats the Vigor and even the Legend, hands down.

Options and approximate sticker prices for the cars (when new):
'92 - 94 Vigor GS ($28,000)
5 Cylinder engine (170HP/176 ft-lbs torque)
Driver & Passenger airbags (Drivers side only in '92)
Eight speaker DSP stereo (DSP discontinued in '94, but single CD added).
Power Driver Seat
Moon Roof (no-tilt feature)
Power Windows/locks
Cruise
Intermittent Wipers (although non-adjustable)
Full Real leather
either 5spd manual or 4spd auto

'95 Legend LS ($35,000)
V6 200HP (230HP in the GS)
Add the following from the Vigor
heated memory power seats
Power tilt
adjustable intermttent wipers
Traction Control (only on the GS version)

'99-'02 TL w/Navigation ($31,000)
Navi
Power seats (both sides '02 models have memory)
Dual airbags with front side ('side airbags in '00-02 models only)
5spd auto tranny with SportShift (4spd only in '99)
HIDS
Traction Control (VSA in '02 Type-S)
Cassette and CD standard (in-dash 6 disc changer in '02 models)
keyless entry
Much stronger engines
Partial leather only.
More back seat room compared to the Vigor
Speed sensitive wipers

There might be more, but from a content perspective, the TL wins, especially when you consider that you could have purchased a TL that was faster, had more stuff and paid less than a Legend. If you account for inflation, the disparity widens. The current TLs are slightly higher, but comparable to what a Vigor stickered for.

What really hurt the Vigor was that there was NO back seat spaceand was not marketed at all, but the people who did buy them held on to them and it was extrememly rare to find a good used one where someone was willing to part with it. As for me, it suited me fine when I was single, but was a struggle when I got married and started a family. From a reliability standpoint, it was bulletproof until 111K miles when the tranny died, but that's another post.

The one thing you have to give the the Legends, Vigors and 1st gen TLs, is that if you see a clean one, they never look dated. My eight year old Vigor still drew looks from people and on a couple of occasions people (who didn't know Acuras) asked me if it was new. The '92 - '95 Legend coupes are still in my opinion, one of the nicest looking cars made.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd give my two cents from someone who also has owned both a Vigor and TL.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Legend 3.2 TL decision

How could anyone think a car (Legend) designed and manufactured in the late 80's and discontinued in the mid 90's could compare with a car (TL) built by the same manufacturer for 2000 and beyond. You must not think much of Acura's integrity or it's product advancement (R&D) to even broadcast such a demeaning comparison.

My sister has a 93 Legend and I drive it often, fact of the matter is the Legend is long in the tooth. The body structure(chasis) is not nearly as rigid as the currrent TL, the engine doesn't incorporate today's VTEC, the tires & wheels are from a different decade, the dash design is dated, the stereo system is dated, it has less interior space (per EPA), the double wish bone supension is not as refined, the coefficiency of drag is higher, no five speed with sport shift, the list goes on and on, get real!!

Yes the TL replaced the Vigor not the Legend, however, the current RL is more car than the departed Legend. The TL has undergone 2 car cycles since the Vigor and the Legend. The current TL is simply a more refine tourer and the benchmark for Acura's current design theme, not the rest in peace / sadly departed Legend, however, there was no better car during it's time.

Crock
Old 09-10-2001, 02:01 PM

My two cents...Legend vs. TL

When I first learned about the 99-present TLs, I instantly thought the world of it. The addition of the Type S just makes it all the much better. That having been said, I've always been a fan of the Legend. So now, when it's finally time to make a decision as to what to buy, I'm faced with an interesting choice. I really like the TL-S, one drive will sell that car. However, the basic goodness (is that a real word?) of say, a Honda Accord and the savings over the TL is something I can rationalize. I can slap a big down payment on either car and have reasonable monthlys.

Then again, if I spend a bit more time and hunt and search for a 94-95 Legend w/ low mileage (there are still a few out there), I get a great, reliable car, and sure it's been driven for awhile, but I'm confident that the quality is still there. And, with a good sum of money, I can all but eliminate payments. That way I don't have a car payment in addition to my mortgage, etc. to pay. And the Legend is still a very nice car. And even though it is a six or seven year old car, it's not really expensive, the depreciation won't be as heavy (since it's taken a lot of it already), and the "mystique" of the Legend is a good draw too.

I'll let you know what I decide.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I still have the foggiest idea why Acura got rid of the names, I liked em and they were cool, Integra, Vigor, Legend really cool names and everyone kinda had an idea what is was.

Now RL, Tl, CL, RSX nobody has the foggiest idea what car it is, they should have kept the names.

For instance my bud with the Cl no one knows what it is and when he says an Acura, people respond with Legend? He hates that.

Rl replaced the Legend but the Tl is more in the original Legend's price range so people think the tl is it's replacement.

if u want to stay with Acura Tl is the obvious choice as the Legend replacement for you.
It is because ACURA wants people to think they are driving an ACURA. This is the same question some automotive magazines ask Acura when it chages all the name. Acura offical response is when people ask what kind of car they are driving. Acura owner will said Legend, Vigor, or Integra. If Acura got rids of the name and replace the name with RL, TL, and RSX. People will more likely to put Acura in front. Like I am driving an Acura RL, Acura TL.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Advanced

When i went to pick up my tl last month. I was talking to the salesman about it and about my legend, which i still have.. he said that the tl is a great car, but the legend is the ultimate acura driving machine.. i have both now and as i said before. the legend has the tl on the jump(plus mine is a stick) but as far as comfort and smoothness the tl takes the cake!!

2002 non nav tl
diamond white
wheel locks
sunroof visor
spoiler kit
wood kit
Old 09-10-2001, 05:45 PM

I agree with babybau. The Legend is, in my opinion, the Acura driving/cruising machine. I think all the pieces just came together right for the Legend. I think, if anything, the fact that so many people hold it in high regard, even with the TL being so spectacular says volumes about Honda's engineering ability. I think Honda does a better job than any other Japanese manufacturer of giving their cars a "spirit." The Legend and NSX both definitely have that special something that makes them stand out. The TL and RL are both very good cars, but with the RL, I think they over-refined a bit too much. If there's any sedan that tries to capture the "spirit" of the Legend, it's the TL.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:28 PM
Drifting

goaub, I don't think legends have full leather. They have leather fronts, but the sides and back are vinyl. All Acuras are like that I believe.
Old 09-11-2001, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Legend vs. TL

You can't compare the two. As evidenced in pictures I have posted previously here I have a 91 legend, a 99 TL, a 00 accord, and a 92 accord and saying that you could compare the legend to the tl is like saying I could compare the 92 accord to a 00 bmw 740 (they're bore four dour sedans. . . ) I mean there is no point in flaming one side or the other. . .In it's time the legend was the best, most loaded, most succesful car in the Acura Line up. Now the TL-S is all those same things. But you have to remember that technology has changed, consumer demand has changed, and quality demands have changed so that is the only comparison you can honesty make between a legend and a new TL. . .
Old 09-11-2001, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

LEGEND is a HIGHER MODEL CAR..it's suppose to be BETTER...fit and finish...and materials... In JAPAN, there's still LEGEND as top model..then INSPIRE...
but...LEGEND is for a less sporty and older group of drivers...
while INSPIRE or TL is for younger and sportier drivers...esp the TYPE S.

IMO, TL with body kit...looks much better and aggressive then the Old legend. Not that legend is bad looking...

city
Old 09-11-2001, 04:30 AM
Advanced

Re: Legend 3.2 TL decision

Originally posted by GCrocker
How could anyone think a car designed and manufactured in the late 80's and discontinued in the mid 90's compare with a car built by the same manufacturer for 2000 and beyond. You must not think much of Acura's intregrity or it's product advancement (R&D) to even broadcast such a statement.

My sister has a 93 legend and I drive it often, fact of the matter is the Legend is long in the tooth. The body structure is not nearly as rigid as the currrent TL, the engine doesn't incorporate today's VETC, the tires & wheels are from a different decade, the dash is dated, the stereo system is dated, it has less interior space (per EPA), the double wish bone supension is not as refined, the coefficience of drag is higher, the list goes on and on, get real!! Yes the TL replaced the Vigor, however, the current RL is more car than the Legend. The TL has undergone 2 car cycles since both the Vigor and the Legend, therefore the current TL is simply a more refine tourer...The current TL is also the benchmark for Acura's current design theme, not the rest in peace / sadly departed Legend.

Crock
Well, I did a seach on this forums, as well as around the net to find some performance numbers on the Legend, and the CL-S/TL-S. I choose the best published performance numbers that I could find in my search, so not all the nubers are there, but it give you an idea.

TL-S best 0-60 is 6.2.
CL-S best 0-60 is 6.4.
Legend TYPE II (6-Speed) best 0-60 is 6.3 (with TCS OFF)
Legend TYPE II (automatic) 7.2

CL-S 60-0 braking is 124 ft.
Legend braking is 129 ft.

CL-S 1/4 mile is 14.8.
TL-S 1/4 I could not find, but I think I remember 14.7
Legend (6-Speed) 14.9
Legend (auto) 15.6

Legend Slalom is 65.4 MPH
Legend Skidpad is .82g
CL-S Skidpad is .83

I don't have #s on the CL-S, and TL-S, but I remember the CL-S having a slighly lower (less the 1 MPH) slalom time from the #s that the CL-S forums posted.

This one is interesting
Legend Drag Coefficient is .34
TL-S Drag Coefficient as posted on this forums is also .34.
NSX Drag Coefficient is .32

Top Speed for the Legend is 150 MPH for the Sedan, and 147 for the Coupes (Coupes have a different gear ratio then the Sedan, thus the difference)
CL-S/TL-S top speed is 147.

CL-S rims is 17 X 7 with 215/50/17 tires.
TL-S rims is 17 X 6 1/2 with 215/50/17 tires
Legend rims is 16 X 6 1/2 with 215 /55/16 tires.

CL-S/TL-S 3.2 VTEC 260 HP Dual stage induction system
Legend TYPE II NO VTEC, 230 HP with 3 stage induction system.

CL-S (according to CL-S forum members) loose as much as 25% trans, and drivetrain loss. Dyno #s have been from 192-208.

Legend (6-Speed) also puts down low 190s. I don't recall the exact # here though.

Now I won't even go into the interior features and such, but I'd say even if the Legend chassis is less stiff, suspension is less refined, it really hasn't shown it. The current CLS/TL-S is a faster car 0-60, and 1/4. However, the top end, and nearly all the other performance catergories are so close on paper, you might as well call then dead even.
The Legend number are for the 93-95 LS Coupes, and the 94-95 GS Sedans.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:15 AM

We have a '89 Legend LS, 5 speed, coupe that we are selling in favor of the '02 TL that we bought last week so here are my initial impressions:

The 5 spd auto w/sportshift is no substitute for a proper transmission, but I didn't expect it to be (my wife wanted an automatic and the sportshift is better than nothing).

The TL has traction control, which the Legend does not, but with the auto-transmission there is more need for it also.

Handling may be better than the Legend, the TL does not understeer as heavily but it has less steering feel.

The HID low beams on the TL are nice - bright and well controlled with a sharp horizontal "cut-off", but the lighting on the Legend is also very good. The TL has fog lights but I've not yet tried them.

Amenities are comparable - The TL does have memory seats (and mirrors) and the memory link to the numbered remotes is nice. I do miss the system monitor and trip computer. It does have a few gadgets that the Legend does not such as CD changer, outside thermometer, auto dimming mirror, auto tilt right hand mirror, "Homelink", and tilt open sun-roof (it does not have a sun-roof wind deflector though). The TL glove box is very small, the owners manual won't fit if there is anything else in there, and I miss the Legend's small compartment in the dash center which was just the right size for a fuel/maintenance log book and pen, but there is an eyeglass holder overhead.

Instrumentation is not as good and the warning lights in the instrument faces are smaller, less legible and less well organized. I much prefer the white-on-black Legend instruments with equal size tach and speedo.

Visibility from the TL is not as good, it has a higher beltline and the fenders slope out of sight making It feel bigger than the additional 4 inches suggests.

Seating in the TL is more comfortable in front and, of course, much more so in rear. There is a pass-through to the trunk which the Legend does not have.

The lack of a proper, tunnel mounted, emergency brake in favor of the miserable, Buick like, foot operated, parking brake is a PAIN. Why Acura?

The Legend does not cover the engine and other under-hood parts with plastic covers that complicate cleaning and maintenance as does the TL. I know this is a current fad but it's disapointing that Acura is following the crowd.

The choice of some interior materials and styling gives the TL a distinctly less European flavor than the Legend and moves it closer to the "domestics" in visual character (not a good thing, IMO). The textureless face of the instrument binacle and console surface is almost Taurus-like and the fake wood accents don't help. In general, the Legend's finish seems classier.

And, of course, the TL's coup de grace, that all important feature and ultimate measure of a car's value in the American market, which the Legend does not have: cup holders, front and rear.

The TL is comfortable, quick and well appointed and when you consider that the '02 TL costs not much more than did the Legend 13 years ago, WITHOUT correcting for inflation, it seems a great value.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Re: Legend 3.2 TL decision

Originally posted by GCrocker
How could anyone think a car (Legend) designed and manufactured in the late 80's and discontinued in the mid 90's could compare with a car (TL) built by the same manufacturer for 2000 and beyond. You must not think much of Acura's integrity or it's product advancement (R&D) to even broadcast such a demeaning comparison.

My sister has a 93 Legend and I drive it often, fact of the matter is the Legend is long in the tooth. The body structure(chasis) is not nearly as rigid as the currrent TL, the engine doesn't incorporate today's VTEC, the tires & wheels are from a different decade, the dash design is dated, the stereo system is dated, it has less interior space (per EPA), the double wish bone supension is not as refined, the coefficiency of drag is higher, no five speed with sport shift, the list goes on and on, get real!!

Yes the TL replaced the Vigor not the Legend, however, the current RL is more car than the departed Legend. The TL has undergone 2 car cycles since the Vigor and the Legend. The current TL is simply a more refine tourer and the benchmark for Acura's current design theme, not the rest in peace / sadly departed Legend, however, there was no better car during it's time.

Crock
what ChrisK said above plus VTEC technology is great (had it in my 96 GSR) and incorporated in the TL-P and the TL-S, but why does the TL-P with a 3.2L engine have 225 hp and the Legend Type II engine (3.2L by the way) have 230 w/o VTEC.

bottom line, all are great cars and when the TL-S comes out with the 6 speed manual i will be first in line, that is of course, if I don't find a Legend GS 6 speed first.

They don't call them L E G E N D for nuttin'
Old 09-12-2001, 02:43 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bdimc2001

You could get some Aftermarket HID and aftermarket navi for it, then it'll be the same...

But remember nothing beats a new car...
actually..... the only thing that could beat a new car is the FIRST CAR.... i'll never forget my accord....after owning the TL for a year i still miss my acord from time to time
Old 09-12-2001, 02:44 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by AC
IMO, it's time for you to move on. I mean 135K miles, c'mon. I once had a 94 Legend and regreted getting rid of it then. Now, hell I don't care cuz it happened a long time a go.

As far as comparison of the two, AKRY I would say nailed it. Fit/Finish are not the same on the two cars, perhaps cuz the Legend was build in Japan, but who knows if that's the reason. I know that after 60K miles on my Legend, it only went to the dealer for maintenance and oil changes only. My TL went in for a variety of reasons. As far as the HID's , yeah it's kinda cool that it's standard on the TL, but that alone should not be a reason why one car is better than the other. I recall my Legend have auto steering up/down and telescopic and the Legend being roomier and a bit more head room.

Performance, the Legend and TL are about the same, but if I recall I believe the Legend had better high end compared to my TL's sluggish 4th and 5th. You have to ask yourself, what it is you're looking for in a car. If it's total luxury/performance, hell get a 540i (you won't regret it ...hehe) But seriously, consider what will make or break a car buying decision for you and go from there. All I can say is that both the Legend and TL are good cars. Although I would certaninly give the Legend an edge over the TL in several ascpects. But also consider that Technology has come a long way since the last Legend was manufactured.

Good Luck!
What technology has come a long way since the last Legend ? Navi ? VTEC ? Side air bags ? HID lights ? These are not major technology improvements or scientific advancements. The Legend owner could easily use an aftermarket navi system -- it will not be as nice as stock in the TL but it would serve the same purpose. In your own words you say the Legend and TL are about the same performance-wise, so VTEC does not confer that much if any advantage. Aftermarket HID kits are available. If the TL were able to produce the same or higher level of performance while running on batteries or some alternative low-pollution fuel fuels source that would be a significant technological advancement. Yes, the TL is new and improved, but not by THAT much.

Quick Reply: Legend to 3.2TL transition??