the LEDs came!! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool the LEDs came!! *PICS*

FINALLY! After 3 months of fighting with the company to get these babies, tonight I have finally recieved the LEDs!!! AND THEY ROCK!!! They are going to work PERFECTLY. It won't be long before I have them installed!

They were quite pricey, but I challenge anyone to find LEDs as good for any cheaper. You need extra wide angle, super blue bright LEDs, 3mm and 5mm. As you can see from the pics, these are perfect.

Check out these pics!!!

Here is how I rigged the LED for the following shots:

Before you see how bright these suckers are this will give you an idea of how TINY they are... 3mm is very very small. I have already tested the 5mm so the 3mm ones were the deciding factor in whether this was going to work or not -- and they passed with flying colors.

All the LEDs I will need to replace EVERY light in the car:

With the lights on:

With the lights off (BRIGHT!!!):

Here it is in the sunroof switch... it was hard to take a pic of becuse it was on the floor and ghetto rigged (see above). But it looked real good. 2 LEDs go in this switch to fully illuminate it:
Old 01-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Safety Car

Oh, and check out how it all lead up to this here:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=23790
Old 01-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

Just replying for the sake of subscribing to the thread.

The LEDs look great.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:16 AM
...and then there was One

Nate, I can tell you are a happy man. Nice to see someone that sticks with something until the end. Looks like it paid off. THat things look SWEET . Wil you be hooking fellow NW TLers up?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:16 AM
Racer

wow! thats fvkin nice!!! i would definitely love to see a "finished" pic... hopefully it all works out.

it is just me or is the light leaking out of the roof switch where the tilt button is?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:35 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally huh Nate? You know...those look like a small amount of LED's to change everything...i would think it's more then that. Let me know on the progress..also...how much did it cost you?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:44 AM
Safety Car

OMG... I couldn't stand it so I soldered up a resistor to one of the 3mm LEDs and put it in a clip... I put it behind the AC panel LCD screen and 1 lit up the whole screen! There is supposed to be 2 LEDS there... with 2 it'll be off the hook! I'm completely stoked about how nice and rich the blue color is!

Heres the AC LCD with 1 (one!) 3mm LED behind it:

I did run into a couple problems. One of the leads on the 3mm LEDs comes out of the center of the bottom, making it difficult to align the LED in the clip. Also, the lead coming out of the resistor is much larger in diameter than the leads on the old stock bulb. This makes screwing the clip into the PCB very difficult. I'll have to solder on a thinner wire, or cut down the clip. But these are minor inconviences, this weekend I should be done!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 02:56 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You got some balls man. After seeing the pics of you dash torn apart, it makes me cringe. I would love to do it but i would be afraid of having new rattles showing up.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:07 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

hahaha Nate! Just couldn't wait huh?? How much did those LED's cost ya? It looks nice....but I'm afraid about the issue of your eyes hurting due to the fact that blue isn't a natural color. hmmm......i might still do it anyways just cause it's cool! :p good job nate! I hope to see it finally finished.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by bigman
You got some balls man. After seeing the pics of you dash torn apart, it makes me cringe. I would love to do it but i would be afraid of having new rattles showing up.

I don't think so.... Blue is easy on the eyes? Red is supposed to be the "best" nightcolor, I remember reading that somewhere... I think the military uses red a lot...
I want red...
Old 01-10-2002, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9

I don't think so.... Blue is easy on the eyes? Red is supposed to be the "best" nightcolor, I remember reading that somewhere... I think the military uses red a lot...
I want red...
I think the military uses red because you can not see a low intesity red light from a distance. Harder to get spotted.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Racer

looks good

looks real good Nate

soooooo when are you going to put the 'hold my had' FAQ for that one

-amit
Old 01-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Congratulations, Nate! I'm looking forward to pics too......
Old 01-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow, that's some seriously sweet blue.... Of all your mods I'm probably most impressed by this one because of the painstaking detail that's required (not to mention the patience). We gotta see the final on this. If the stock deck backlighting could be changed you might see me considering this one.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

I'll be leaving work early today!

They cost $6 for each 3mm and $8 for each 5mm. I bought 25 6mm and 8 5mm.

Red is the easiest on your eyes, it blows out your night vision the least. Not sure about blue but I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro

Geee......you really are the MOD KING Nate...
Now you can say bye bye to da green lights...
Old 01-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Wampum

I think the military uses red because you can not see a low intesity red light from a distance. Harder to get spotted.
nope... bimmers and audi's also use red in the dark, it is the softest color on the eyes apparently
Old 01-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn, Nate, you are the MAN! You better post pics of the final product....I think everyone on the board is anxious to see it!

And I think VW's also have red lighting.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:54 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

BMW's use Orange and if I can recall...the VW Jetta had blue....i remember one of the VW's had blue lights.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro

Geee......you really are the MOD KING Nate...
Now you can say bye bye to da green lights...
Old 01-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Banned

Damn man. That will look so sweet with your black interior. Damn I want. Lol Your the man!!!! make sure you tell us where you got these from and how you are installing them.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Instructor

i always wanted to get blue led's but i have no idea where to get started. be sure to post pics when it's completed. the pics you posted look freakin sweet so far.

-briancl
Old 01-10-2002, 10:15 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yo Nate! can you do mine after you are done?? I will treat you dinner!

Originally posted by Nate
OMG... I couldn't stand it so I soldered up a resistor to one of the 3mm LEDs and put it in a clip... I put it behind the AC panel LCD screen and 1 lit up the whole screen! There is supposed to be 2 LEDS there... with 2 it'll be off the hook! I'm completely stoked about how nice and rich the blue color is!

Heres the AC LCD with 1 (one!) 3mm LED behind it:

I did run into a couple problems. One of the leads on the 3mm LEDs comes out of the center of the bottom, making it difficult to align the LED in the clip. Also, the lead coming out of the resistor is much larger in diameter than the leads on the old stock bulb. This makes screwing the clip into the PCB very difficult. I'll have to solder on a thinner wire, or cut down the clip. But these are minor inconviences, this weekend I should be done!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 11:20 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

That looks sweet!!! DAMN!!!! Keep the pics coming...

Andy Kuo
Old 01-10-2002, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, everybody, all together, "Long live the MOD KING!!!"
Old 01-11-2002, 12:30 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long live the MOD KING!!!"

Originally posted by JLmaxR1
OK, everybody, all together, "Long live the MOD KING!!!"
Old 01-11-2002, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Very nice, I just don't have the balls to rip out my dash. If I did I would go for blue or red. One question though, can you still use the dimming switch to turn down the lights?
Old 01-11-2002, 04:16 AM
Safety Car

LONG LIVE THE MOD KING! hehe

Good question, my dimmer switch is't hooked up right now but I'm sure that yes, I could dim the LEDs a small amount. Not sure what effect it would have... LEDs need a certain voltage to turn on, then they can be taken slightly below their turn on voltage. I'd imagine they'd appear slightly dimmer.

I spent 6 hours today soldering these babies together!!! I did the AC panel, clock, and all the switches! Soldered 19 LEDs! All thats left is the window switches, shifter light, and radio. I'm taking my radio to a coworker's husband tomorrow night - he works in robotics and will hopefully desoldered the ****ty incandscents from the radio's PCB. I don't have the strength to post the pics right now but I will tomorrow morning... let me tell you... they are HOT! I mean really HOT!!! SOO BLUE IT HURTS BABY!! Right now, I must sleep to get up in 6 hours.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:21 AM
Safety Car

Ok, ok, just one, the rest manana

It is soooo damn bright in person... its crazy!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 04:25 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

very niiiice nate! hahaha! So blue it hurts huh?!?! damn sarcasm!!!!!

It's really bright right? cause the pic looks pretty dim....! It looks nice...i wanna do that
Old 01-11-2002, 04:48 AM
Intermediate

Question

So do you think if I order from the same place as you I'll be able to get the 3 and 5mm LEDs, or will it be a 3 month nightmare trying to get some?

Also. You say they're really bright...
If I did this would my clock be brighter than my Indiglo gagues?
(That'd kinda suck)
Old 01-11-2002, 07:53 AM
Racer

thoes could be the same LED's that they use in the volkswagon jetta's
Old 01-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

These LEDs are brighter than anything in the Jetta... it wasn't sarcasm, it really is almost too bright! My camera doesn't pick it up very well... I wish I could show you guys in person. It is sooo blue.

The clock isn't as bright as the AC panel LCD because in the AC panel the LEDs are shining at you through the LCD while with the clock has a plastic spreader that distributes the light across the clock LCD. Even though I removed a blue filter and turned my LED 90 to point directly into the spreader, its not as bright. Don't get me wrong, the clock is still a brighter blue than the stock green! Its just that it pales in comparison to the AC panel... nothing is that bright! The gauges should be as bright as the clock, but not the AC panel.

Here is the back of the AC panel, before I insulated all the leads:

Here are a couple switches fitted with finished LEDs:

Here is the comparison between the clock and AC panel... it is waaay brighter than this, my camera just can't handle it:

Heated seat switch:

Sunroof:

AC panel pics:

There is a small inconvenience with the heated seat switches... I'll have to put them through their dash piece, then put the LEDs in. And to do that I'll have to dremel off a 1/4 inch of plastic because it is partially covering one of LED holes. This is only on one of the heated switches, the other one isn't obstructed.

You'll notice on the AC panel that the defrost switch doesn't light up... the red filter on it blocks the light from coming through. But its ok cause the rest looks so good!

My girlfriend and I worked all night, by the end we had it down - she'd cut and assemble the pieces and I'd solder and glue. Its still pretty slow going though, delicate work.

Hopefully the radio will work out tonight. The shifter light has a huge stock bulb in it... I'm not sure how well the LEDs will work there. I may have to use 2. I also have the window switches to do... I need to figure out how well the LEDs work with only 2 volts... they can be dim, thats ok, because they shine directly out the switch, with no filter. I can't wait to get my stuff put back together so I can get you guys some pics of the finished look!
Old 01-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by jasonh1234
So do you think if I order from the same place as you I'll be able to get the 3 and 5mm LEDs, or will it be a 3 month nightmare trying to get some?
Nah they should be able to help you right away.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Talking I me 2 ?

Hey man looks greattttttttttttttt ... I wanna do it too since my fav. color is BLUE too

wish i was as cool as opening up the car parts as you are
Old 01-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

cool nate

Cool stuff Nate! That is just awesome lookin!

Well, LED's are not nearly as dimmable as incandescent lights, so don't expect to be able to do too much with the dimmer. You're right about the turn on voltage of the LED's, they simple won't give out any light if the voltage is below the turn on voltage. This is like at 1.2V or 1.4V or something like that, it varies slightly.

If the window switches only supply 2V, then use a smaller resistor, just make sure that you still do use a resistor. I'd hate for you to burn out a $6 LED.

good luck.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Really? Why would I still have to use a resistor? 2V is really low... the LEDs are 3.5V...

Old 01-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Man Nate I am seriously impressed. Your TL is officially the shiznit.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Nate
Really? Why would I still have to use a resistor? 2V is really low... the LEDs are 3.5V...

You should always use a current limiting resistor in series with an LED.

When the supply voltage drops below the LED's voltage, the LED won't light at all. It's basically either on or off.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

That looks great!!!!

Quick Reply: the LEDs came!! *PICS*