Learned something scary about SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learned something scary about SS

The other day, I was sort-of racing a co-worker back from lunch, and I had it in SS. At one point I looked down, and I swear the tach was over 7000 rpm. WTF? I thought the SS would keep you from going above redline. It scared the crap out of me, and I shut it down right away and took it nice and easy back to the office.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really thought the computer would keep you from doing this. I know that if you try to downshift and the RPMs are too high, it will block you, but apparently, unless you are in 1st, it doesn't stop you from over-revving.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:02 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I was thinking.. you must have been in 2nd..

but I thought if you get to a certian RPM, it is supposed to cut off the fuel or something..
Old 07-26-2001, 05:32 PM
Racer

I cracked redline in 2nd and engine cut off fuel. I too was surprised that it diodn't just automatically upshift to 3rd.

The SS in my Chrysler 300M would upshift at redline in all gears.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Instructor

SS holding gear...

No matter what gear you are in, SS will hold it, even to redline and at that point it should 1. fuel shutoff to keep it below engine damage 2. retard timing. But you can basically keep that gear until either upshift or down shift depending rpm and what you want to do. any gear in SS no matter what, Untill you come to a complete stop.

If I am wrong someone please correct, this is from manual and personal experience. But I am open to more precise interpretation.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Racer

I think you are off but only slightly. You can not maintain SS in 1st gear. It always upshifts to 2nd. I also believe that it will downshift in any gear if you drop below certain RPMs.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:51 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my 98 eclipse (manual tranny)when I went above the redline, I'm talking over 1k or more rpms over the red line, the gear would fire and go to neutral. I say fire, because even if I'm holding the stick, it would move the stick to neutral, like with a lot of resistance.
Old 07-26-2001, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had a similar experience last night. Pulled up behind a integra at a light, and as it turned green I gave it 3/4 throttle. I started gaining on him pretty quick so I let of the gas completely so I wasn't tailgaiting when i noticed a lot of carbon coming out of his 50 gallon drum..I mean exhuast..and then he must of hit his vtec zone because the mosquito really started hummin, so I put my foot back into it closed the gap and when I looked down I swear I was just into the red (second gear SS), I bumped it into 3rd and stayed pinned 20 feet off his bumper till we hit 95 and I backed it down as we were coming to an intersection. He kept going, I think he thinks he won??, anyway next light, he pulled over into the right lane which was clear, he had pole position, I pulled behind him ready to go this time, but he didn't want to play anymore Anyway there wasn't any fuel cut off or rev limiter feel, perhaps I was shifting to third at the right moment but I swear it climbed a little past the redline....
Old 07-26-2001, 07:44 PM
Banned

Yes, that's similar to my experience. There was no rev limiter like I was expecting - there was clearly red on both sides of the needle. One other possibility could be that our gauges aren't accurate, i.e. the computer knew it was below redline, but the analog gauge wasn't calibrated so it showed a higher rpm.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Wash n Wax
I think you are off but only slightly. You can not maintain SS in 1st gear. It always upshifts to 2nd. I also believe that it will downshift in any gear if you drop below certain RPMs.
Not if you have a 99TL. Ours will let you hold 1st gear. Granted we only have 4 gears instead of 5.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I've been into the redline several times. You really have to watch out because the engine still pulls pretty stongly and sounds good, it just doesn't seem like you need to shift. Then it just starts cutting fuel and you feel dead in the water. Happened to me as I was passing a truck on a 2 lane road. The car is pulling strongly and all of the sudden I'm thinking, WTF!! For a second it seems like everything just goes off. Anyway, I've now gotten to the point where I can tell when to shift by the sound of the engine.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:49 PM
...and then there was One

I'm glad ours doesn't automatically shift when we are in the red. (Everyone knows about 1st gear, so I won't even mention it in SS) There are times when I am in second, step on the gas, and there is a corner coming up, so I WANT to keep it in second without going to third so I can engine brake.
I'm not sure of the exact rpm that our rev-limiter kicks in, but our analog gauges are not accurate. None are. It doesn't respond fast enough, and if you step on it, then let off, it might travel further than the actual rpm you hit, just because the needle is whipping up so fast it doesn't stop in time.
One time, I was in 1st (not SS), changed lanes to pass someone, and right as I was shifting to 2nd the rev-limiter started to kick in, but for only milliseconds. I think I'm starting to get the feel for when to shift, too, RedLined.
Oh, and yes, even if you are in SS 5th, if you slow down for a stop sign/light, as soon as you get to ~12 mph, SS mode will switch to 1st automatically. Kinda wish it hung in 1st like on NSXNEXT's TL, but dang, it reaches redline so fast!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The engine can probably safely rev to 7500 to 8000 rpms, but Acura is looking out for our best interests (yeah right!)

When you hit the rev limiter, the engine starts to alternate cylinder spark firings (1-3-5:2-4-6) to keep the rpms in check. Not quite sure if it's truly a fuel cut-off mechanism. I wonder if the idea of keeping the revs below 7000 rpms is more an issue w/ our transmissions, rather than the engine's capability of safely achieving a certain rpm.

Pete
Old 07-26-2001, 11:44 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by PeterUbers
The engine can probably safely rev to 7500 to 8000 rpms, but Acura is looking out for our best interests (yeah right!)
Pete
Not sure either. When I used to drag race I would usually shift by the feel and sound of the engine. I could tell when it was flattening out. On the TLS it feels so strong at 7000 that I think it could easily pull strongly to 7500 maybe more. Which explains why I've hit the revlimiter a few times.

It would be nice to know what the real capabilities of this engine is. What a screamer.

RUF
Old 07-27-2001, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
our engine definitly could go 7500 with no adverse affects...im with some of you, if you go by feeling, or sound you can easily hit fuel cut ...that said looking at some previous dyno's even though fuel cut is sent out by the pcm at 7100 because of inertia i assume, ive seen several hit 7400 .this is on a dyno mind you.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:09 AM
Banned

Thanks for all your comments. I feel more confident now that I didn't do any damage to the engine.

Only thing that still bothers me - I remember reading that the ECU stores the maximum RPM the engine has been revved to. I just hope that if I have engine problems down the road, Acura doesn't try to void the warranty because the engine has been revved too high.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

From a hypothetical standpoint, why wouldn't Acura fix the engine under warranty if it blew due to overrevving (intentional or otherwise)? I mean, isn't the rev limiter/fuel cutoff supposed to help prevent someone from doing just that? I would like to hear Acura explain why the rev limiter didn't kick in like it was supposed to if such a scenario occurred. Or are they gonna say that the rev limiter is not a standard function of the vehicle and thus not included in any warranty claims?

Tony
Old 07-28-2001, 01:17 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Ruf87

Not sure either. When I used to drag race I would usually shift by the feel and sound of the engine. I could tell when it was flattening out. On the TLS it feels so strong at 7000 that I think it could easily pull strongly to 7500 maybe more. Which explains why I've hit the revlimiter a few times.

It would be nice to know what the real capabilities of this engine is. What a screamer.

RUF
You said it all We should go to torrence and do a Mission Impossible on the ECU

Mr.T