Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Type SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Everyone please read and leave comment on this topic so this Topic can continue to stay on.

PLEASE READ AND DO OWNER SURVEY

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...Q/VOQ/voq1.cfm

This was on Acura-CL forum.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=62323

Law suit is being filed by By jjc001 at Acura-CL.com

Settlement issues- Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

I know it has been a long time in publishing any results but this is the info that I have as of date:

I've spent the last 2 1/2 months meeting with arbitration between Acura regional management and the Lawyer. The best Acura wants to offer is money (reimbursement for the time that my vehicle was out of service i.e. car payment/days out of service =$), give me an extended warranty or put me in another one of their type 'S' products. THEN they even offered an RSX as if that would make up for the loss (time or money) I've incurred. I then pointed out that going to the RSX (because it doesn't have their FLAWED transmission) would be stepping down in their product line and it was completely unacceptable. Besides if I switch to another one of their cars I will have to pick up some of the costs for the new car WTF

I didn't sign up to BETA test their R&D process for their FLAWED transmissions in the type S series. Nor are they willing to even discuss compensation for time lost from work or the headaches that I've had to deal with because of their faulty product....
BY THE WAY my 2002 transmission (#3) is already having problems and slipping)

SO...

The first step PRIOR to going to court is the BBB (Better Business Bureau) arbitration board. This must be done so that WHEN this goes to court we (the attorney and I) can show that ACURA was in fact given a reasonable opportunity to resolve this outside of court BUT they did not CARE enough about the CONSUMER to do the RIGHT AND FAIR thing.... I will receive the judgment from the 3 Attorneys on the arbitration board THIS WEEK.....

The BBB arbitration board has the right to GRANT "equitable compensation" to the consumer based upon the facts presented in the hearing and I gave them statistics and MANY posts from this board to show that ACURA HAS a problem and it is NOT an isolated incident. ALSO they are NOT being upfront and honest with the general public with their FLAWED transmissions.

As soon as I receive the letter form the BBB this week I will scan it in and post it to this forum for ALL to see, good bad or indifferent I will continue to fight this.

ALSO READ THE FOLLOWING AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE----->
If you post your info it may not only help YOU fight Acura for compensation but it will help the rest of us as well!

If you want to do something about the tranny problem, then you must take the right steps. The first step is to make the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) aware of the problem. On their site, you can search for a vehicle's recalls, technical service bulletins and most importantly, let them know about safety problems with our vehicles.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems

Go to link and select "Vehicle Owners' Questionnaire", then complete the defect notice.

If we want to get Acura's attention, then let’s get NHTSA 40 to 50 complaints at one time about Acura transmissions failing. Also, this will help with all lawsuits.

REMEMBER........
One voice is hard to hear but hundreds of voices will get their ****ing attention......you CAN fight the system no matter how large they are....
Old 02-25-2002, 11:57 PM
Type SSS

Can you guys post reponse if you are doing the survey.

I want to keep track and see how many people are going to do the survey with NHTSA

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:44 AM
Pro

can you do the survey even if you never had a tranny problem?
Old 02-26-2002, 02:21 AM
Intermediate

well this seems to be one of the more touchy subjects on this site. I've read a lot (not all) posts and there's not a lot of concrete info. Lots of would-be-lawyers, tranny experts etc. etc.

I mean does anyone have emperical data to show what the failure rate is for these trannys?? And how the compares to an average of all cars? I read some place that cars made before a certain date were at a higher risk?!?! I have no idea whether to be concerned or not.

ssk0771 it's obvious you and some of the others have had quite the time - and I really hope your path finds you some satisfaction. You mention you provided BBB with statistics - what did you provide and from where? And at about 3200 members - this board isn't going to provide a statistical cross section. Even if it did - what's a high percentage rate of failures to indicate a flaw 5%, 10%? Do we even have failures on this board numbering from 160-320?

That having been said - your conviction to this cause is compelling and noteworthy. I would like to support you in your venture but it is difficult having traded in a 96' TL which never had any major issues a month ago for a 2002 TLS which has been flawless.

I wish you and the others the best on getting some resolve but we need to collect a lot more verifiable data before your going to get any real movement out of Acura, let alone some sort of class action suit.

A note on your case though - you may have a snag with regards to your mods in open court. Any mod could be constude by the right lawyer into a factor contributing to a tranny failure. You'll want to look at this as 3 failed trannys to show a pattern and thus a flaw in the tranny, they will disect this into three seperate unrelate incidents - making you unlucky or worse contributing to your own demise.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:43 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

will definitely do!
Old 02-26-2002, 03:08 AM
Type SSS

Just to make things clear,

ITS NOT ME FILING THE LAW SUIT.

ITS jjc001 at Acura-CL.com
Old 02-26-2002, 08:12 AM
Racer

Filled out Survey

I just filled out the owner survey...Thanks
Old 02-26-2002, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Question test

test
Old 02-26-2002, 10:00 AM
BDI
Banned

Re: tls and cls tranny the same? YO BITIUM, need your knowledge on 99 too!

Originally posted by kman156
has the 4 speed 99 tranny in the tl have any of the same or high amount of problems?
My 99's tranny has been replaced already and it feels like the 2nd one is startin' to slip.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Question what's your mileage

at what point did your problems start? and how do you drive your car? mods? thanks, kman
Old 02-26-2002, 10:10 AM
Racer

Damn, this is f...ing scary. I have 2000 TL with 37,000 miles on it. I drive alot. My baby is performing flowlesly. I think that tranny problem only goes with 2002 TL Type S. Is it too much power for tranny to handle?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Racer

If he has all paper work in order, this is a perfect case of Lemon Car Law right there.....
Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Instructor

yea this worries me, even if some of us do not currently have any tranny problems, it does not look good for us in the future when we add more miles into our cars.....as for me, i think my tranny performs decently, the only time i feel any type of minor slipping or hiccup in switching gears is from 1st to 2nd...otherwise after that it seems to perform flawlessly.

hopefully if they do find concrete evidence that TL's and CL's have tranny problems, then acura can reach a reasonable resolution to compensate TL and CL owners...

damnit..now i'm stressed...
Old 02-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Hey guys...
I just got my car back yesterday...it was in the shop for about 3 weeks...so they could put in a new tranny. The service guys says it's good now...it feels normal again...but you never know if it will malfunction again. We need to make Acura gives all TL/CL owners a lifetime warranty for the tranny.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Racer

Wait...(jjc001) has a CL Type-S, right? So...it's just a general problem on all Acura tranny's or just the Type-S tranny's?
Old 02-26-2002, 12:14 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally posted by Acura_Boi
Hey guys...
I just got my car back yesterday...it was in the shop for about 3 weeks...so they could put in a new tranny. The service guys says it's good now...it feels normal again...but you never know if it will malfunction again. We need to make Acura gives all TL/CL owners a lifetime warranty for the tranny.
Do you have an 02 TL-S? If so, let us know your VIN # and I'll add you to the roster.

:-jon
Old 02-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tl-kode16
Wait...(jjc001) has a CL Type-S, right? So...it's just a general problem on all Acura tranny's or just the Type-S tranny's?
I've been reading all the tranny threads religiously both here and at a-cl.com and I think it applies to both TL-P and TL-S as well as CL-P and CL-S models. I've read about 2002, 2001, 2000 and 1999 trannys being replaced, although it definitely seems more common on the 2002s. I believe 2000 and newer are the 5 speed autos. It's definitely the Achilles' Heel of this car.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Instructor

As a first year law student I can tell you right off the bat that Acura will not nor does it have to repay for time lost from work. There are disclaimers in every car warranty that says the manufacturer will not pay for consequential and incidental damages. You are going to have a hard time recovering any money for lost time are expenses.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Advanced

I already fill out the form....I really like my car and don't want to buy a different car or get compensation from Acura....

ALL I WANT IS FOR MY NEWLY REPLACED TRANNY TO NOT GO BAD AGAIN...AND FOR ACURA TO PROVIDE ALL TL/CL OWNERS WITH AT LEAST A LIFETIME OR 100K MILE WARRANTY FOR THE TRANNY.

IF ANYONE IS PLANNING TO GET A LAWSUIT ON ACURA...I REALLY DON'T CARE FOR THE MONEY (IT WOULD BE NICE THOUGH) BUT I JUST WANT THEM TO REPLACE THE TRANNY IF IT GOES BAD...FREE OF CHARGE.

Old 02-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

I believe my tranny is starting to die!!! I love my car, its not right.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:54 PM
On the way!

It appears this tread had been posted twice - with different responses. Check this out....

Other thread...
Old 02-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: tls and cls tranny the same? YO BITIUM, need your knowledge on 99 too!

Originally posted by kman156
cos i was at the dealer i use 2 weeks ago, and there were 6 boxes of new tranny's waiting to replace the burned out ones! also, has the 4 speed 99 tranny in the tl have any of the same or high amount of problems? my car has very low mileage, under 10k, and alot of the posts are from cars with higher mileage. do i have to start worrying about my 99 acting up? so far she's golden! kman
I got a 99 TL, and no problems here either. Maybe this tranny problem is only for those with 5 speed! :p
Old 02-26-2002, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Question

this one might be dumb...i have a 2001 TL-P...it has about 23k miles on it... Whats it like to have a tranny problem?

Ex:i was goin 120 at 4th gear...then i was stupid enuff to downshift to 3rd with my foot fully down to gas... then it made that kling kling noise...then my car like...shook five times real quick...

would it fell like that always when you have a bad tranny? can someone tell me in DETAIL how you would know if you have a bad tranny or not? thank u...
Old 02-26-2002, 03:35 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by [TL]Ridah
would it fell like that always when you have a bad tranny? can someone tell me in DETAIL how you would know if you have a bad tranny or not? thank u...
I can only describe my experience... It started with a hard shirt into reverse when cold. A delay - and then *thunk* in gear.

Hundreds of miles later(and after a fluid flush) it developed the "big" problem, where it had problems shifting gears. It would do 1->2 no problem, then 2->3 there would be a big rev (like I was in neutral), and then *boom* I'm in gear. On the highway, it shifted rough down from 5th to 3rd (goining regular highway speeds - then punch it like you were passing someone).

The shop foreman that drove with me actually got the car to chirp the tires in 3rd gear, revvvvvvvv - *POP* (not good)! I'm proud of the power of my car, but it's not supposed to do that!!!

Anyway - from my experience, it's VERY apparent when it's bad! Check out this thread for more info on my experience:

Tranny info
Old 02-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is starting to go as well and I love my TL too. I want them to fix the flaw in the design not to simply buy time for the warranty. I will be part of the lawsuit as well because it isn't right that so many people have the same problem and yet they will not address the issue, they simply buy time.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

test

test
Old 02-27-2002, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

Does anyone actually have an real data or just people posting they have problems? I think some one had a count going - please post what you've got.

Otherwise this stuff on the trannys is just being blown way out. I haven't seen anything that shows that the failures are higher on the cl/tl then other cars in it's class let alone the "average" car.

While I'm sure I'll get flamed for this - the only data at all on this is from Consumer Reports. Their ratings for the cl/tl transmissions is a failure rate of 2% or less (except for 98 on the TL and 99 on the CL which was between 2-5%) - It doesn't get any higher then that. Motor Trend and I think it was Road and Track had rave reviews for their long term tests of the CLS - and their user review postings show nothing out of the ordinary about the tranny. Even Carpoint shows no significant problems with the tranny.

So while I do feel for those with problems - since car issues can be among the most frustrating, your postings are only stressing out others without providing anything to verify that there is indeed a real flaw in these cars.

If you have data showing otherwise - post it!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:30 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally posted by Pawel
Damn, this is f...ing scary. I have 2000 TL with 37,000 miles on it. I drive alot. My baby is performing flowlesly. I think that tranny problem only goes with 2002 TL Type S. Is it too much power for tranny to handle?
I do not think so... mine is a 2000 and it has been giving me all kinds of ****s lately...
Old 02-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mine is a 2000TL with 20000 miles and its starting to slip.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb

mines 2001 w/ 23000 miles on it...im either too stupid to kno that my tranny is messed up...or it doesn't seem to be going wrong... hopefully i'll tell when i feel that something goes wrong..

man but...i wish we can get our lifetime warranty stuff on the transmission...just in case mine goes bad in the future... (maybe i can downshift more)

another thing... with people with tranny problems...do you guys downshift alot? ofcourse u all know that downshift does harm to the tranny... maybe...u certain people suffering from tranny prob downshift too much? i dunno... i downshift only when i cut other cars... and im not having probs yet... -dp-
Old 02-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Racer

Hopefully it's only a problem for those that have the 2000 and on models w/the 5 speed transmission. This totally blows, b/c I wanted to get the new 2002 TL Type-S. Boooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 09:26 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: tls and cls tranny the same? YO BITIUM, need your knowledge on 99 too!

Originally posted by patrick

I got a 99 TL, and no problems here either. Maybe this tranny problem is only for those with 5 speed! :p
Don't happy just yet, my I'm on my second tranny and now it's going. And i have a 99.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:14 AM
Racer

I haven't got a transmission problem as of now, but I can feel the gears starting to slip.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I filled out the report. My tranny has been slipping since around 15K and have been taking it back in regularly only to hear cannot observe the problem. It has now twice, while in sport shift, locked up in second gear, causing me to pull over, put it in park and then go again. I too, love my car and don't want another one. I just want Acura to own up to the crappy tranny design and fix it. I want to by another TL-S for myself, but I will not until they stick a manual tranny in it...less problems than the POS tiptronic....
Old 03-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Racer

Well you're in luck, the 2003 Type-S models will be available in 6-speed manual.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by tl-kode16
Well you're in luck, the 2003 Type-S models will be available in 6-speed manual.
No they won't... maybe 2004.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 AM
Cruisin'

I own a 2000tl my transmission started to act up around 40,000miles. Now that I am out of warrenty, it is acting up more. From 2nd to 3rd gear at low speed there is some slipping of the transmission. Now I am at 57,000miles, I was told that I need to have the transmission work on. That should not be right. I owned two Integra, one 2.5tl and one Accord and with those cars I turned them in with near or over 100,000miles with no tranny problems. I believe Honda has a good product on their hands and they should fix this problem before it blows up like the Ford and Firestone situation. I hope this information helps the cause. I think we should get a class-action suit against Acura. This will cause them to resolve this issue before it hits the media.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

My '99 TL 4 speed transmission was replaced at about 8,000 miles due to surging (jerking) when the car was stopped. Haven't noticed any problems with the new one and the mileage is now over 30K.

Larry
Old 03-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Pro

I have been driving my 2000 TL for the past 25,000 miles. Butter smooth transmission with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

During these 25,000 miles, I have also done extended trips >2500 miles once and >1500 miles 3 times. The trips were absolutely pleasurable with speeds generally ranging from 65-105mph during these trips.

I also warm my car up for a minute when starting up in the morning and drive gently for the next couple of miles till the engine, transmission and other sub-components reach operating temperatures.

I have not done any "mods" whatsoever, except for changing tires.

Maybe I have a good tranny ? Or maybe it is just pure luck ??

Later...AH
Old 03-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Pro

I have a 2000 model, I only experienced the delay in downshifting in full auto mode once when floor the gas pedal. Other than that, it's pretty responsive (knock on wood, fake wood counts too). However, I do hear some crackling noise once I come to a stop while it's still in drive gear. If I shift in park or let the car idle in drive without moving, the noise will disapear. Is this the sign of tranny problem?

Quick Reply: Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2