launching?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post launching?

Ok i was having a little fun with the TL today and was practicing my launch. What i usually do is turn off TCS, hit the brakes, revv up to about 3,000rpms, and then slam the gas while letting go of the brakes.
Is there a better way? Am i revving my rpms to high? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't do this too often even it can give better start.cause it will hurt ur transmission.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Comptech springs
Old 03-28-2001, 07:58 PM
Racer

so then what do you recommend doing?
Old 03-28-2001, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 3.2 TL:
so then what do you recommend doing?
Not racing... There's a reason the rest of us don't buy used cars from hotrod kids like you!

Seriously, though - your method sounds like it will give quick starts. The idea is to rev as high as you can without just spinning the wheels uselessly.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-28-2001, 09:33 PM
Pro

put it in Neutral, rev it up to 6k rpm, drop it into Drive and floor it.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:07 PM
Racer

I would think that putting it in neutral, revving the engine, and then putting it in drive (aka neutral drop)is even more harmful to the trans than what i do.
Old 03-29-2001, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Rice1304:
RICE!!!! Tell them your just kidding! lol or someone will actually do it!

Rosh
Old 03-29-2001, 05:20 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Black TL:
RICE!!!! Tell them your just kidding! lol or someone will actually do it!

Rosh
HAHAHA! like it isn't obvious enough with the
I actually did it to a rental Kia, that thing was so fvcking slow even i rev to 6k and dump it into Drive!

------------------
'00 Taffeta White TL w/NAV
-Weapon-R intake
-Piaa 1700x and Polarg M-14 bulbs
-white acura emblems and custom clear headlights
-Ground Control Coilovers
-Tanabe Hyper Medallion Dual Exhaust
-18" Racing Hart C-5 3-piece with P7000SS 225-40-18
-A'pexi V-AFC
-Inspire Tails
My Ride
Old 03-29-2001, 07:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Angry

Originally posted by Don's TL:
HAHAHA! like it isn't obvious enough with the
I actually did it to a rental Kia, that thing was so fvcking slow even i rev to 6k and dump it into Drive!
Don't get me started with Kia's. Had to drive about 1000 miles roundtrip in a Sephia.

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 07:59 AM
Pro

Exclamation

If you're staging for a 1/4 and its the tree (I forget what type its called, competition I think) that has like 4 orange lights and one green, just hold down the brake until two orange lights are on, then hit your gas midway so you can get some rev's but the car isn't moving, (you can hear the tranny fighting the brakes (tranny is losing)) then when the last orange light is on, launch. You should be well into squealing your tires once green hits.

The idea is to have enough time to build some rev's and have them at a good spot before you let go of the brake, but on the other hand, the longer you hold the brake and gas simultaneously, the hotter (worse) your torque converter gets.

I would say some of the best mods for better launches are: Those iridium spark plugs Bnut posted about recently, and AEM underdrive pulleys. Both add torque across the powerband, but most importantly, right at 2000 rpm where you need it most. Headers will add much more, but definitely not at launching rpm's, so headers really won't help launch, cause air isn't moving through the engine fast enough to make any appreciable difference.

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 03-29-2001, 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Rice1304:
OMG... This reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine lo these 14 years ago...

His father had two cars: a beater (which my 16-year-old friend was allowed to drive) and a brand new Jaguar (which he was not). In fact, knowing his son well, his father kept the Jag's keys on his key chain at all times, instead of on the key rack in their kitchen with the other car keys.

Well one summer afternoon, home alone and with nothing to do, he sauntered through the kitchen and saw the keys to the Jag. Apparently the car had been taken to the dealer for an oil change by his mother the day before and his Dad hadn't taken the keys back yet.

My friend was many things, but an angel was not one of them. Out he went in the Jag, onto Francis Lewis Blvd. (of drag-racing infamy if you're from eastern Queens).

At the first red light, some kids in a Camaro pull up beside him and rev their engine at him. So he does like he's heard about, and drops into neutral and starts mashing the gas pedal. Vroom vroom.

When the light turned green, he floored the pedal. The engine revved to redline, but he went nowhere -- he'd left the car in neutral! Since the guys in the Camaro were taking off already, he quickly dropped into gear...

With a loud lurching boom, the Jag leapt forward about 10 feet and died.

Somehow, he managed to drive all the way home in reverse and back it into the garage. He put the keys back on the rack and played dumb for all he was worth. Lucky for him, his Dad always backed the Jag in as well, and even luckier, his Dad never suspected him, just chalked up the dead car to another example of Jag's poor build quality!