Late model Tranny failures, Root Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late model Tranny failures, Root Cause?

This is disturbing. I thought that the tranny failures were solved
by the time the 2001/2002 models were released in mass and
certainly before the 2003 model. (thought 2000 was the worst)

My understanding is that the 3rd gear clutch packs were the culprit.

However I'm now seeing 2003 failures on this board and wonder
if the real root cause of these failures has beed identified.

Tranny failures like this are a real black mark for Acura. Trannsmissions should be as or more reliable than engines nowdays.

Anyone run across year by year failure stats?

/Steve
Old 03-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of the '03 tranny problems you see on the board are early model '03s...
Old 03-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally posted by `ill*tl
Some of the '03 tranny problems you see on the board are early model '03s...
yeah! like mine!! i just got my car back today... and the car is not driving like the way it was when i took delivery of the car! this really sucks!!! i'm filing with BBB tomorrow morning when I gather all of my info. (thanks to peteruber) And I will keep you guys posted of the 3rd tranny and the filing with BBB.

-jason
Old 03-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Read up: LINK

Should explain most, if not all of what Acura's found in regards to the tranny problem.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:33 AM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in on a '99TL with 65K miles and im still in the first tranny... i think its only on the 00-30 models with 5speed problems...Of course id rather have 5 speeds and replace my tranny every 20 than a 4 speed...
Old 03-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Yow!!! You mean there gonna have tranny problem for the next 26 years till 2030!!
Heee..heee....I know, I know...

/Steve
Old 03-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Instructor

LiQice: Thanks for the lnk. That is a WEALTH of good information!

The general feeling I'm getting from reseach is that there are some minor engineering problems but that the biggest fault is that the tranny engineers did not keep in synch with the engine engineers. The tranny seems unable to tolerate the engine output over many miles. Underengineered. I wonder if the tranny is near identical to that used on lesser powered models like the 99 and earlier and or other models.

/Steve
Old 03-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

heres my build date peepo! it was built on may 2002!! dats why im having all these tranny problems!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
what car never had a bad tranny??? every chrystler made has tranny problems
Old 03-13-2004, 09:05 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fsttyms1
Ford used to make a hell-of-a dependable 3 speed auto. I had an FMX trans in my 75' Montego and it never had problem after 150k. Also heard similar stories from other Ford product owners. I'm not a big Ford fan but that is the one thing that did it's job well in the 70's.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:10 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Many years ago, the then-new A604 4-speed transaxle from Chrysler also had major problems. The transmissions would fail after a certain mileage. But Chrysler eventually found that it was caused by an internal rubber seal failing. Internal recall was put in place, and no more excessive transmission problems (by Chrysler's standard).

But now there are two issues :
(1) It seems like Honda has still not located and fixed the root of the problem, or has found a fix but the corrective update would be too costly to perform.
(2) Everyone expect Honda cars to be reliable.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what car never had a bad tranny???
Old 03-15-2004, 06:36 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come to think of it we had two Saabs (86' and an 88') that went south by way of the (auto) transmission. There are two different types of fluid in those things that is sepeerated by a seal. If that seal goes bad and the fluids mix then that trans is shot.

Then again, one of my first cars (though not street legal) was a Mopar with a 727 Torqueflight. Now that thing was bullet proof!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Advanced

the transmission failure is do to a output bearing, the metal is simply too soft and eventually it sheds peices of metal thuoughout the transmission fluid which destroys the clutch packs, the reason it has taken them so long to figure out is becuase when every transmission is replaced the mechanic has to strain all the fluid, to look for particles and what not....however the particles were so small they were goin through the strainers. unfortuantly this was recently discovered and they transmissions they replaced are still failing becuase the same faulty bearings were installed. sorry its so long.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally posted by uood8
the transmission failure is do to a output bearing, the metal is simply too soft and eventually it sheds peices of metal thuoughout the transmission fluid which destroys the clutch packs, the reason it has taken them so long to figure out is becuase when every transmission is replaced the mechanic has to strain all the fluid, to look for particles and what not....however the particles were so small they were goin through the strainers. unfortuantly this was recently discovered and they transmissions they replaced are still failing becuase the same faulty bearings were installed. sorry its so long.
One question still unanswered.

The failing clutch packs almost always belong to the 3rd gear. So it means that the tiny little metal particles, circulating throughout the transmission, are capable of homing in towards the 3rd gear clutch only !! Sounds so much like an X-file.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Another thing to consider is that even the tranny replacements are failing, and yes, I mean current replacements. So if the problem had been resolved in the production 2003s, why are the replacement trannies now being used failing?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Instructor

My 03 TL-S falls outside of the listed affected VIN #s. Does anyone within this VIN range have problems? So far, so good here. (not sure if replacements count)
Old 03-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by garylee55
Another thing to consider is that even the tranny replacements are failing, and yes, I mean current replacements. So if the problem had been resolved in the production 2003s, why are the replacement trannies now being used failing?
The majority of the problems with the replacement trannies are due to the tranny being installed improperly (bad seals etc).
Old 03-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by LiQiCE
The majority of the problems with the replacement trannies are due to the tranny being installed improperly (bad seals etc).
so you think the replacment trannies would be good if they were installe dproperly?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally posted by LiQiCE
Do you have any info on how replacement trannies can be installed incorrectly ? Rebuilt trannies are shipped to Acura dealerships all in one piece. There is no loose part to be messed with. It is a straightforward bolt on job.

To remove the old tranny, a few plastic cover pieces need to be removed, tranny oil drained, motor mounts bolts unbolted, electrical connectors disconnected, other mounting bolts unbolted, suspension parts bolts unbolted, half shalfs removed, engine lifted, tranny bolts unbolted, and rebuilt tranny finally replaced. I may have missed a few steps, but this is generally what’s being done.

If the job is done right, the car will drive; if the job is not done right, the car won’t drive. But I just can’t see how a rebuilt tranny, that someone claimed was incorrectly installed, could be driven for a few or even a few tens of kilo-miles before failing again, and failed the same way - slipping 3rd gear clutch !!

Factory rebuilt trannies have already had a few revisions done. Obviously the earlier revisions didn't really solve the real problem(s). That’s why we see repeated failures from rebuilt trannies. The latest revision involves replacing the PCM as well. Let’s hope that Honda has finally got to the bottom of the problem(s).

Rebuilt trannies are replaced by Honda-factory-trained mechanics. They have detailed factory service bulletins to follow through. They have all the right tools to do the job. How can the trannys be installed incorrectly ? But I wouldn't be so sure if the job was done by a high school drop-out in a corner gas station garage.

Please give credit where it belongs.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:41 PM
8th Gear

Non S TL also?

Is it only the S-type TL having the problem or is the regular TL tranny also failing?

I realized the other day that these trannys don't have a filter, nor is there even easy access to the screen inside the tranny. Maybe this is the problem. (?)

Do you guys change your tranny fluid on schedule? What type are you using? Anybody use Mobil One?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm .. interesting post .. my suggestion to everyone is .. visit this post to see pieces of the report filed by Honda to the NHTSA in regards to the investigation of the 5 speed auto (NOT the 4 speed auto which is failing for different reasons). http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=104677

After reading the report, you will see that the failing tranny has MANY issues .. some of which are basic design by our beloved Honda *cough* *cough* .. SERIOUSLY poor quality contron issues during manufacturing ... POOR testing of the product as a whole .. and yes .. a high level of stupidity in believing they have a problem.

I for one do NOT believe that Honda has done anything more than bandaid their 5 speed auto in order to attempt to hold it together until their *cough* *cough* generous warranty extension obligations are met .. I personally feel that the real fix will cost far more than Honda/Acura is willing to spend to keep its owners happy and safe.

But yes .. ALL 5 speed auto trannies are subject to these problems .. doesn't matter if it is a type-s or not .. doesn't matter if you change your fluid every 2 days .. the problem is in the most basic design and assembly.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Still sluggin' it out

Originally posted by etxxz
Of course id rather have 5 speeds and replace my tranny every 20 than a 4 speed...
I feel your pain brother...I feel your pain. We may not have that extra gear but at least we have each other