known squeaks/rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
known squeaks/rattles

could you guys list of the top of your heads what the known squeaks and rattles are for tl's...03's specifically...im having a hard time locating them...thanx
Old 05-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh lord.... here we go again. I just had a $hit fit this weekend with all my rattles. I went on a massive hunt to find them, and I fixed most of them. Heres what was on my list:

1. Subwoofer rattle (Most annoying)
-Fixed it by adding some dry sponge in the upper part of the trunk where the rear deck is clipped down.
2. Shifter rattle
-Fixed it by removing the bezel from around the gear shift and putting some thick tape underneath to pad it.
3. Console Rattle
-Tightened all the screws in the armrest - but theres still a noticeable rattle whenever i go around a corner at a certain angle, or when I hit a bump... I'm about to re-tackle that one on the weekend.
4. Moonroof squeak
-Added some silicon (tire stuff (black magic, etc.)) around the outside seal of the moonroof.

That was about it. I'm sure theres more if I really listen, but I guess I've been fortunate. No dash or door squeaks as of yet... knock on fake acura wood!!!! Hope all this helps.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Banned

The moonroof seal can be fixed at the dealer under warranty. They put reduction tape on. If you find out how to fix the center console tell me.......thats the only annoying thing left.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Drifting

thjanx alot..very helpful
Old 05-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Pro

I've had the seatbelt buckles replaced because they squeaked, and the moonroof lubed b/c it squeaked. Every now & then the front left shock squeaks too, but it often goes away
Old 05-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Racer

I had the dealer replace the latch on the center console under warranty. Squeak never came back.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Left driver vent has something rattling behind it and the seat belt buckle rattles but the dealer said "they didn't hear anything"
Old 05-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Type S Lady
but the dealer said "they didn't hear anything"

Yeah - they never hear anything, and if it really is a problem, as soon as an Acura tech gets in the car to listen, the squeak will stop... they're smart squeaks. Makes me mad.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Instructor

I just got a new TL, but here are the squeaks and rattles I had to fix from my previous TL:

-Seatbelt (Most annoying, the tech at the dealership finally fixed it by putting TRANSMISSION lube inside of the seatbelt buckle. It had a funny scent to it first day, and afterwards the squeaking noise went away).

-Moonroof (Fixed by the dealership by lubing the sides)

-Subwoofer (My serice adviser told me it was fixed by them putting tapes around it to tighten up where the woofer was int he trunk, but they just made it even worse. I got used to it..so..heh)

Then there was this squeaking noise coming out of the passenger seat of my old TL. It sounded like the squeaking sound from an old rocking chair...oh my freakin god...it took me MONTHS and MANY TEST DRIVES with the dealership tech to try and locate where the noise was coming from. Whenever I went for a spin with the tech, the noise would not come out. And out of the two rare occasions when I was able to duplicate it, the tech was not able to locate precisely where the noise was in the seat. In the end, I just gave up.

^^^^^ I hope all of the above does not happen with my new TL.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm lucky, but my '99 TL with 73k miles has no chronic rattles or squeaks. Occasionally the belt buckle starts to act up.. but a little bit of WD-40 on the fastener and moving the seat a bit takes care of that. Also when it gets cold (rare in Houston) sometimes there's some buzzing or clicking like something's loose in the rear, but nothing major.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by rfrys
I had the dealer replace the latch on the center console under warranty. Squeak never came back.
hmm...I was wondering what was causing that squeak. I'll have the dealer check it out. Thanks!

Besides the center console squeak, the right rear window rattles sometimes. It's very, very annoying
Old 05-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Instructor

my 03 has a rattle just above the Navi, and above the center consol vent. If you sqeeze the dash and the hard plastic part on the bottom side it goes away. I havn't had a chance to take it to the dealer, but it seems to happen mostly when its cold outside.

2- The seatbelts were solved by a little spray lube in the female part.

3- the front passenger seat makes funny noises when i first start driving it..like leather creaking. But it stops after a couple of miles. This one has really stumped me. i have no idea what is causing it. anyone know???

thats been about it.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by cofidis2
3- the front passenger seat makes funny noises when i first start driving it..like leather creaking. But it stops after a couple of miles. This one has really stumped me. i have no idea what is causing it. anyone know???

thats been about it.

Good luck on solving the 3rd issue. I had the EXACT same problem with my last TL. The funny thing was, it's hard as hell to duplicate the noise, yet whenever you go out on the weekends and someone is sitting on the passenger side, it makes that annoying squeak. The biggest problem with that is even the Service Techs at 2 of my local Acura Dealerships had hardtime locating where the noise was coming on rare occasions I was able to duplicate it with them in my car. I took the car to the dealership for that problem alone at least (and I'm not exaggerting....) 13 FREAKIN TIMES !!!! It got to a point where I had the regional manager involved with the issue. In the end, the only thing they were able to tell me was "Sir, we are not able to locate where the noise is coming from exactly, and it is not happening on a consistent basis. I know this may be a bad news for you, but once the problem gets more severe and the noise happen more frequent where our techs are able to pinpoint it, please have it bring back to the dealership for further examination." It was such a nightmare!
Old 06-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

one i noticed thats curable - the little lever on the driver seat for lumbar, if its all the way forward (pointing toward the front) it rubs the console, u can put felty stuff on or crank it backwards a little.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Seatbelt rattle

Does the seatbelt rattle occur only when the seatbelt is unbuckled? I have a really annoying rattle on the passenger side of my car that I generally hear only when no one else in the car. Thus, whenever I take the car in for service, the dealership never hears it.

I must say, this is the worst car I've ever owned in terms of rattles and errant noises. It is strong encouragement for me not to consider another Acura when my lease is up.

ME