Kill story

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Acura TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Kill story

Raced my friends '93 AWD Eclipse today. We tried a couple of months back and i killed him by about 3-4 cars in 1/4 and about 4-5 cars to about 120mph. He blamed a slippery clutch and poorly tuned turbo. So today he came back ready with a new setup - a sports clutch, retuned turbo and boost controller running at 15psi(stock is 11). He figures he's pushing about 250hp with that setup so i figured that he should be able to beat me being AWD(better launch) and being much lighter, i think he's about 3000lbs.

First time we take off both brake torquing, and another friend waving us off. I hit the gas with the the rpms reading about 2k and he pulls on me by a nose until the shift from 1st to 2nd, when i pull on him by about 1/4 car length and start slowly coming away, until the end of 2nd, where i see his nose out of the corner of my eye on the left. I figure that his turbo now spooled up and he's about to overtake me. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that as i SS into 3rd, i have a nice strong push(gotta love the comptech headers YEAH BABY!), and he disappeares from my side, slips out of my blind spot and when i glance over into my sideview mirror, i can see him slowly falling behind, as i hit 100mph, i can see him in my rearview mirror at least 3 car lengths behind, and by 120 he is way back. When we pull over, he tells me that he stopped flooring after 100 cuz he wasnt sure where the road ended(even though he knows that place really well since we are there often ). Well no biggie, we decide to do another run, and as we head back to starting point i realize my traction was on, killing a lot of the brake torquing effect. So second time around, i make sure my VSA is off, and get an amazing launch, immediately loosing him by a car length. I see him gain a little just as i come out into 2nd, but then the sweet sound of VTEC mixed with the added growl of the Comptech headers push me past 5500rpm, and its all over. By the time i hit 3rd, he is a couple of carlength's back, and at 120 he's way back in my rearview mirror and i'm smiling to myself, realizing how great this car is once again. After the 2nd run, he mentions that he needs a free-er flower exhaust and an open flow cat, so i guess we'll have to do this again when he gets that. But until then, he's still staring at my rear bumper

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs / Comptech Headers / Mille Miglia Action 17x8 Rims with Bridgestone Potenza RE730's 235/45/17 tires
------------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine CDA-7863 CD Player / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers / 20% Tint all-around

-------------
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 06-17-2001, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Niiiiiice! Love hearing about the TL-S kickin some a**.! Funny thing though, every time I read a story about a race the loser always makes stupid little excuses, makes me laugh! If you lost you lost, be a man. You know those who make excuses must be thinking about losing for a long time. Hey do the headers make a difference that you can feel? Take it easy.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:00 AM
Pro

Talking

Shouldn't be too hard beating a Mitsubish*t. They are always trying to take me on and always with the same result - embarrassment on their part!

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-18-2001, 08:46 AM
Pro

Red face

DOHHH!!!!!
I can't imagine the embarrasment of a supposed "modified sports car" losing to a stock 4 door sedan.
But bear in mind, your friend's 93 eclipse is hardly indicative of the rest of awd eclipses/talons. At nyc.dsm.org (my other car club) you'll see the majority of the cars running mid 12 second 1/4 miles, I ran high 13's when the car was still mostly stock. So I guess it depends on who you may run into. But like Tuff Gong said, there's no excuses, if you lose admit you lost and shut up. Tell your friend to stop racing until he either gets his car running right or learns to launch an awd, he's embarrassing the other eclipses/talons.

------------------
- Nick
2002 Type S (Satin Silver)
1990 Eagle Talon tsi awd (barely stock)
Old 06-18-2001, 09:09 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
NICEEEEEE!! Know what though, no Mitsu will race me, I've tried.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.