Key to wheel lock broken.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key to wheel lock broken.....

Today I was trying to remove my rims and the key's inside threads chipped off so now i have no key for my wheel locks....what do i do ?????????

Also what wheel locks are recommended besides the ones that come from acura...cause i have heard that this type of shit happens all the time with acura's wheel locks.................
Old 01-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
unless you have a welder or a special tool to get tehm off you are probably going to have to bring it in
Old 01-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura wheel locks are made my McGard, who makes them for most manufacturers.

IMO, wheel locks are a pain in the ass. Mine came off right away; I can't see anyone stealing my stock wheels...
Old 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Initial D

Originally Posted by Scotten

IMO, wheel locks are a pain in the ass. Mine came off right away; I can't see anyone stealing my stock wheels...
You can order replacement key.
If you don't want to use wheel locks ask Acura dealer to use a master key and replace them with your regular lug nuts.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Missing my Acura's

Originally Posted by Scotten

thats because ya dont live in the city!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TunedTL
You can order replacement key.
If you don't want to use wheel locks ask Acura dealer to use a master key and replace them with your regular lug nuts.
They don't have master keys for those wheel locks.

Take the car to a local tire shop. They can take 'em off. Buy a new set.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Instructor

Wouldn't feel safe without my wheel locks on , and my car has stock wheels . Still think they would be a target for people who would steal anything.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:37 AM
Comptech Freak

i had the same problem, the lugs gone bad and they replaced with a new set
Old 01-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

The dealer do have master keys for Acura factory wheel locks, I was in for brakes service last year and forgot to give them my wheel locks and the dealer were still able do the service by using their own master key to remove my wheel locks. So try the dealer, what do you have to loose by asking????
Old 01-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TLs2003
The dealer do have master keys for Acura factory wheel locks, I was in for brakes service last year and forgot to give them my wheel locks and the dealer were still able do the service by using their own master key to remove my wheel locks. So try the dealer, what do you have to loose by asking????
My dealership told me that if I lose it, I would be SOL because they don't make master keys for security reasons.

And when they had to do my brakes, they said they couldn't do it initially because they couldn't find my key. I told them where it was, then they got started working on it.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Pro

My dealership told me that if I lose it, I would be SOL because they don't make master keys for security reasons.

And when they had to do my brakes, they said they couldn't do it initially because they couldn't find my key. I told them where it was, then they got started working on it.

The dealer was bull shitin you. I put my rims on with the factory lock nuts then lost the key, went to the dealership, asked them if i could use their master key, bam, that easy. All Acura dealerships carry the master keys...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Thank you "PDX3.2TL" for the validation.

Memphis2883:
Go to the dealership and ask for the master key and see if you can order a new one. You may have to try more than one Acura dealers in your area!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
My friend lost the key to his wheel locks and just wanted it taken off. The local dealership pulled out the "master set" which is basically just 1 of every key and removed the wheel locks for free and replaced it with normal lugs.

As far as I know, there's no "master key" that works for all the lugs, but there the dealer has a set of every key.

The dealer wasn't able to replace the lost key however, they said that they could only order an entire new set of wheel locks. So if you want to go with the Acura wheel lock lugs again you'd have to buy an entire new set.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Initial D

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
My friend lost the key to his wheel locks and just wanted it taken off. The local dealership pulled out the "master set" which is basically just 1 of every key and removed the wheel locks for free and replaced it with normal lugs.

As far as I know, there's no "master key" that works for all the lugs, but there the dealer has a set of every key.

The dealer wasn't able to replace the lost key however, they said that they could only order an entire new set of wheel locks. So if you want to go with the Acura wheel lock lugs again you'd have to buy an entire new set.
I find it a little hard to believe that every Acura dealer has to stockpile individual keys made for every Acura car
When I was at the Lexus dealer and forgot to bring my key, the service manager told me that he has a master key. If both Lexus and Acura use McGard, I doubt things are different.

Lexus RX300 supplies a McGard reorder form just in case the key is lost. You have to pay something like $24. If dealer is not replacing it, try McGard.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TunedTL
I find it a little hard to believe that every Acura dealer has to stockpile individual keys made for every Acura car
When I was at the Lexus dealer and forgot to bring my key, the service manager told me that he has a master key. If both Lexus and Acura use McGard, I doubt things are different.

Lexus RX300 supplies a McGard reorder form just in case the key is lost. You have to pay something like $24. If dealer is not replacing it, try McGard.
There's only about 15 different keys for the Acura set, dunno who provides them ... but I actually was at the dealer with my friend and the mechanic opened a box which had about 15 keys in it and he went through trying each one.

Its just to make it harder to remove your wheels, it doesn't make it too difficult. I've heard of people with the wheel locks getting their rims stolen ... Usually its because someone has a set of the keys.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

well at least acura has a set of keys, what happens when you get a set of aftermarket locks and lose the key? that suckss
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They do. I just did my brakes, and was so happy that I forgot to put away my key once the car was back together. A couple days later I went to get a new set of tires, and once the guys had the car in the air I realized the key was somewhere in my garage. 2 hours later it hadn't shown up, so a trip to the dealer and $16 later, I had a new key for my wheel locks.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

As a matter of fact, they do. They just don't have that "master key" . The manuf. makes several kinds and does not have an infinite number of designs. The dealer have each and every one of those 'coz I brought both my cars in twice and did not have the key with me or anywhere inside the car and they were still able to work on the brakes and rotate the tires. The only issue is that they (or McGard) won't sell you a new key. The dealer might be able to take the lock off but you need to buy a new set with a new key. It happened to me and in order to save me paying the $30 or so, my I had my salesman involved so he just made it sound like the shop lost the key by mistake and was done in goodwill.

Another issue brought up by a friend of mine who is a little anal about tire balancing and such, was that the extra weight added by the lock (although a few ounces) may throw off the balancing of some tires and cause a shimmy that dealers may attribute to something else in the car.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
oops i guess i miss read the initial post. i thought teh inside of the wheel lock was stripped out.

yes take it to the dealer. if the wheel locks came from them they have a master