Old 02-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N or COMPTECH?

K&N or COMPTECH?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Advanced

This particular horse has been beaten to no end on this site. Each group (K&N vs. Comp.)feels that one filter keeps out more cr@p than the other. I'm not sure it really matters to be honest w/you. If you order either one on the internet in a state that doesn't have sales location in your state you can avoid sales tax. I can say that I have used K&N air filters for over 11 years with no issues of any kind and I believe them to provide a good level of performance increase from stock. However, I watched a DYNO day that a local S2000 club set up and it didn't seem to matter what filter was used because they produced no extra hp. Comptech was used that day but not K&N. I in no way believe that K&N would have been any better. I did dyno my own car but I had a K&N already installed so I have nothing to compare too.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Racer

Probably go w/ K&N just from past experiences, Thanks.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:30 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Comptech
Old 02-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Comptech!
Old 02-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Racer

stop playin around, AEM CAI!
Old 02-27-2002, 11:32 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jbrown
stop playin around, AEM CAI!
:p :p :p

Haha.....
Old 02-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Banned

Comptech all the way

Simple because Comptech has partnered with Acura to provide performance parts.

Also I believe that comptech mods doesn't destry the warrenty of the car.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:40 PM
Racer

Re: Comptech all the way

Originally posted by TypeSAcura
Simple because Comptech has partnered with Acura to provide performance parts.

Also I believe that comptech mods doesn't destry the warrenty of the car.
Actually, no mods void any part of the warranty unless that mod was the DIRECT cause of the malfunction. i.e. CAI will not void the warranty on any part of your engine unless you drive through a HUGE puddle and suck water into the engine. Likewise, if you improperly install your COMPTECH headers by yourself and they leak and warp and exhaust port, you will NOT be covered under factory warranty because they caused the malfunction.

Manufacturer has nothing to do with it, Comptech's relationship with Acura only benefits us in that they are built better, fit better, and if the Acura dealer installs the part (most Acura dealers will happily install Comptech parts) and it or another part fails as a result of the installation, you will likely get the repairs covered by the dealer.

Keep in mind that even if you have Comptech parts, you are not bulletproof. If you install Comptech springs and bottom out on a big pothole, smack the oil pan into the ground and bend your crankshaft, YOU will be responsible to pay for the new engine block. Don't laugh, it happened to a buddy with a Civic.

Anyway, like I said before, stop playin around, AEM CAI!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:15 PM
Advanced

I think it's important to be able to show impartial proof (Comptech cleans better the K&N) like say from a third party. This day and age you make a idle threat you can't prove you'll end up in court defending the results. Research some of the engine oil additives and see what kind of trouble there in. As far as CAI goes, I've not seen one that is able to prove any benefit what so ever. The only one that has the Dyno's to show improvement are from Weapon R, but there not available yet. As matter of fact you better be real careful which CAI you get because some of them can destroy an engine due to water ingestion. Water being a liquid will not compress, suck as little as 50cc's into a cylinder like the TLS and upoun compression, boom! It's got to go somewhere. Seems like to me the TLS community should be able to insist on documented proof of actuall improvement before we spend our money. Ok I'm off my horse now, the CAI's do make the intake track sound cool though. Well so does removing the resonator that cost $0.