K&N Air Filter install problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 06:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Air Filter install problems

Finally got my K&N filter the other day and tried to install it yesterday.

No dice.

The filter is supposed to be the one for my 2003 TL Type S, and it fits in the box snugly but when I try to close everything up it doesn't want to close. The 2 snap-in parts (on the side next to the battery) won't snap in.

Any hints or suggestions on installing this?

Thanks,
George
Old 06-29-2003, 08:08 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: K&N Air Filter install problems

Originally posted by CoasterG

No dice.

The filter is supposed to be the one for my 2003 TL Type S, and it fits in the box snugly but when I try to close everything up it doesn't want to close. The 2 snap-in parts (on the side next to the battery) won't snap in.

Thanks,
George
You are the first one I know with this problem. In this case tried a different position like turn it around so the battery side is on the fender side. Make sure you put in the 2 snap-in before the other side.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:06 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chances are the filter is in upside down. Mine went right in with no problems. Just took a screwdriver and less than two mintues.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This happened to me w/ my K&N for my Maxima... the K&N's are known not to fit perfectly .. you have the right part.. you make need to snip some rubber .. search "K&N install" on the CL-S forum and you'll find a wealth of info on this very topic
Old 06-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

Ok the way I'm installing the filter is with the "flat" side up and the area that extends out down in the airbox.

Does it mount "flipped" in the top area or does it just go in the way I've described it (which I know isn't that great)?

George
Old 06-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
look at the filter and the air box. basically there are 4 ways that the filter can go. only 1 of the 4 ways will fit. look at the rubber gasket on the filter and align it with the lid of your air box
Old 06-30-2003, 10:31 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I dealt with the same problem just a week ago. I got frustrated and removed the plastic heat deflector shields and unbolted the top portion of the airbox.

Then, slightly raised the airbox so I could put in the two tabs and set it back down and retightend the two bolts that hold in the airbox. It was a beeatch. My Accord K&N was in within 2 minutes. The TL..about 45 min and sweat on my forehead.

I thought about trimming, but the filter fit perfectly, perhaps a bit thick I guess for it to close as smooth as when the stock filter is in.

Anyway, that's what I did, works fine. But now, when I shut the car off, I get the typicaly "whoosh" sound when I turn the car off with the K&N. I would assume this is normal due to increased air flow...thoughts
Old 07-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Quote..." I get the typicaly "whoosh" sound when I turn the car off with the K&N. I would assume this is normal due to increased air flow...thoughts?"

That's your Flux Capacitor. You may be low on Plutonium.

Seriously though, I am a complete moron with tools, and I installed my K&N in less than 5 minutes. Are you SURE you got the correct filter? There is a different one for the Type-S than the TL-P. It should be snug, but not that hard to do. It was a little bit more difficult with my 5.0, but it's a FORD, it's understandible.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Ok double checked - I have the correct filter, 33-2178 for a 2003 TL Type S. Going to play with it again tomorrow and see what I can do to get it to fit (short of doing serious work on the air box).

George
Old 07-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Good Luck, by the way, I have heard a few times now that removing the "Air Box Silencer " is a good way to free up a few more Horses. Since you are going to be screwing around in there anyway, you might want to look into doing this also.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Head Wanker

Re: K&N Air Filter install problems

Originally posted by CoasterG

No dice.

Thanks,
George
Don't mean to bring up an old thread but I just did the K&N air filter install this weekend and I had the same problems as the poster above. I did some searching and it seems that some Type S owners have a more difficult time. I took a long look at the K&N filter and noticed that the seals on the edges are ever so slightly thicker than the OEM one (or maybe this is some manufacturing variance) which makes putting the clip tabs on the Type S through the loop a biatch. The only way that I managed to close the airbox was to take my bastard file and slowly file away at the loops until it was just barely enough to clip the tabs back on. The fit is tight and now it is much easier to put back together for the next filter cleaning interval.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Re: K&N Air Filter install problems

Originally posted by wanker256
Don't mean to bring up an old thread but I just did the K&N air filter install this weekend and I had the same problems as the poster above. I did some searching and it seems that some Type S owners have a more difficult time. I took a long look at the K&N filter and noticed that the seals on the edges are ever so slightly thicker than the OEM one (or maybe this is some manufacturing variance) which makes putting the clip tabs on the Type S through the loop a biatch. The only way that I managed to close the airbox was to take my bastard file and slowly file away at the loops until it was just barely enough to clip the tabs back on. The fit is tight and now it is much easier to put back together for the next filter cleaning interval.
Same problem and solution I had when I installed my K&N.

But it wasn't loud enough, so I got a CAI after a couple of thousand miles.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

The K & N Filters fit very tight on the Type S. You need to be careful as you can beak the tabs on the airbox.
Best bet - Have the dealer do it for you at next oil change. They did mine in 20 secs.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Head Wanker

Originally posted by kwhalen
The K & N Filters fit very tight on the Type S. You need to be careful as you can beak the tabs on the airbox.
Best bet - Have the dealer do it for you at next oil change. They did mine in 20 secs.
I considered that after my first failed attempt that but I had thought this was a "drop-in" mod . I wonder what the dealers do to make it fit... use an Acura OEM bastard file?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Not only does it go in one way up (element down), there is a front and back
Old 03-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Instructor

For those that did the install on their Type S, is it worth it? Is there actually noticably more power, or just more noise?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by 2003 TL-S
For those that did the install on their Type S, is it worth it? Is there actually noticably more power, or just more noise?
No noticeable power gains, only slightly louder. Go with a CAI.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:43 AM
is the Mighty Favog

I put one in my Type-S just for the extended maintenance factor.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

I've had both a CAI and a K&N drop in. I currently choose to run with the K&N simply because I want durability. The CAI cone would be wet constantly and it was a PITA cleaning & re-oiling it all the time. The K&N should be a drop in. If you feel you had to cut/file the filter, then you are installing it wrong. I had the same experience, but once I found out that you had to "hook" the clips in FIRST, it was a 2 minute job. Remember, the left side of the box has to slide in first before you can secure the right with screws.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Head Wanker

Originally posted by edgalang
I've had both a CAI and a K&N drop in. I currently choose to run with the K&N simply because I want durability. The CAI cone would be wet constantly and it was a PITA cleaning & re-oiling it all the time. The K&N should be a drop in. If you feel you had to cut/file the filter, then you are installing it wrong. I had the same experience, but once I found out that you had to "hook" the clips in FIRST, it was a 2 minute job. Remember, the left side of the box has to slide in first before you can secure the right with screws.
I know that the clips have to be hooked first but after 20 minutes of pushing, shoving, cajooling, and cursing, the clips simply would not fit into the loops. At that point, I tried swapping back the old OEM air filter, did the same procedure and the hooks clipped in the first try. The problem is that for some reason or other my K&N seals were slightly thicker than the OEM seals. That slight difference was enough so that the hooks would not fit for me.

Like I said, I've done the searches and for some reason or another some Type S owners have no problem and some do. If anyone ever encounters the same problem it is up to their discretion on which solution they decide is best.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bought my K&N filter which arrived in the mail yesterday for my 03 TL-S. I had the same problem getting the tabs in the loops. I finally gave up after about 45 minutes of trying different things. I too had no problem getting the OEM filter to fit back in which only took me about 10 seconds. There is definitely a difference in size and shape between the OEM and the K&N.

I can get the front tab in, but I'm having a problem with the rear tab. The front tab is not bad because it is not covered by anything and I can get my fingers in there to help it along. The rear tab of course is covered by the intake tube. The only thing I can think of that might make it easier is to remove the battery. I tried everything else.

I'm probably just going to take it to the dealer and have them do it. I'm about 6'0" and my back is sore from bending over messing with that stupid tab.

Anybody else have any other suggestions?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

I eventually was able to get it to fit (nice and snug) by doing light shaving of the rubber area close to the tabs. It'll then drop right in and fits better than the OEM.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Head Wanker

Originally posted by acford
I'm probably just going to take it to the dealer and have them do it. I'm about 6'0" and my back is sore from bending over messing with that stupid tab.

Anybody else have any other suggestions?
Two words: Bastard File
Old 03-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be breaking out the good ole' bastard file tonight and do some shaving. Should I shave the rubber on the edge of the filter itself or should I shave the tab like one of the other guys mentioned above?

It sounds like it would be easier to shave the plastic as opposed to the rubber.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:36 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Originally posted by CatchaWave
Good Luck, by the way, I have heard a few times now that removing the "Air Box Silencer " is a good way to free up a few more Horses. Since you are going to be screwing around in there anyway, you might want to look into doing this also.
I havent changed a thing on the car so please excuse the newbie questions.

What/where is the Air Box silencer?
How is it removed?
Is it a difference that is worth removing it?

Whats the going rate on the K&Ns for our cars??
03 Type S
Old 03-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Originally posted by TlsNavi03
I havent changed a thing on the car so please excuse the newbie questions.
03 Type S
What/where is the Air Box silencer?

The resonator is located below the air filter box.

How is it removed?

By removing your bumper cover first.

Is it a difference that is worth removing it?

Possibly...If you feel that colder air would help.

Whats the going rate on the K&Ns for our cars??

~$45
Old 03-26-2004, 03:38 PM
El Presidente

has anyone had any problemz w/ installin a K&N on the TL-P's?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Head Wanker

Originally posted by Dark DJ
has anyone had any problemz w/ installin a K&N on the TL-P's?
I think not because the TL-P has 4 screws for the airbox which makes it easier. The TL-S gets stuck with 2 screws and 2 clips.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:04 PM
El Presidente

oh ok, so it should be straight forward then. im gonna install mine in a few weeks
Old 03-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
yes very easy....if you can use a screwdriver.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Yeah, I know I'm resurrecting a seven year old thread (but at least I can use the search function!) , but this same thing happened to me today: spent 45 minutes trying to get the K&N filter into my 2002 TL-S but couldn't for the life of me get the rear tab properly seated.

Is it really just about using sufficient pressure to get that rear tab in?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:35 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Ahh this happens all the time when I check my filter.

The way I do it is to lift the fender side of the cover as high as you can so you can push the tab in at a slightly downward angle.
The following users liked this post:
TheMightyQuinn (06-28-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Just mess with it. File down whatever you need to. Shouldn't be too hard.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
The way I do it is to lift the fender side of the cover as high as you can so you can push the tab in at a slightly downward angle.
Thanks. I had to hold down the left side while raising the right side to get the tab to slide in.