Just ordered the OE ThermoBlok spacer kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Just ordered the OE ThermoBlok spacer kit

After reading this thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166944 I decided to order one. Hopefully I'll find time in the next few weeks to intall them.

Reviews to come.

For those that don't know what they are....

Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok spacers are thermal insulating replacements for your stock intake manifold and throttlebody gaskets. Made from a heat blocking phenolic laminate, ThermoBlok spacers increase power from your engine by keeping the intake cooler.

Key benefits:

» Produces a cooler intake manifold and intake charge resulting in MORE POWER
» A cooler intake charge also reduces the tendency for
detonation, meaning ignition timing can be advanced for
MORE POWER
» Almost invisible modification, looks stock for the stealth factor
» Better gas mileage
» Replaces stock gaskets
» Reusable over and over
» No undesirable side effects

http://www.outlawengineering.com/hondajframe.html
Old 03-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a pretty good mod to get. I got my set installed last week and am loving how the car responds alot better and at the fact that the intake manifold is ALOT cooler. You arent really gaining any power from this mod, you are just keeping the engine cooler and you wont loose as much hp due to heat soak. Once you install the kit you will notice that at idle the car has a slight drone to it, thats from the fact that the spacers have sharp edges and it kinda makes it like a straw so you will hear a difference in the car but dont be worried at all. Also be sure to keep a close eye on the coolant and the oil levels. I noticed that the coolant does get used up a bit more so just check it on a weekly basis and you should be find.

From doing some research I also found that there is a greater chance of having some oil burn up since the heads do run slightly hotter than normal. This is not really anything to worry about but again just keep an eye on it and everything should be fine. In terms of torque all this mod is going is slightly shifting the curve so again you wont exactly gain anything but you will notice that the car does pull harder at the start and up top she just sings!!!

If you have an intake and headers I would recomend this mod highly as it will improve the response of the low end since that is what you will loose with the other mods.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

OIC. Thanks ndawood. I posted on the CL thread to your post about oil and fluid loss, didn't understand why. Now IC.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
After reading this thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166944 I decided to order one. Hopefully I'll find time in the next few weeks to intall them.

Reviews to come.
Since we both got 99 TL-P, I look forward to your review! I've been contemplating about this mod for quite some time, but didn't do this mod for lack of feedback from our TL members.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ndawood
Also be sure to keep a close eye on the coolant and the oil levels. I noticed that the coolant does get used up a bit more so just check it on a weekly basis and you should be find.

From doing some research I also found that there is a greater chance of having some oil burn up since the heads do run slightly hotter than normal. This is not really anything to worry about but again just keep an eye on it and everything should be fine.
Can you please explain why coolant and oil levels would be affected?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by patrick
Can you please explain why coolant and oil levels would be affected?
Since the intake manifold and TB are not affected by heat soak, the engine block cannot shed the heat as well thus it runs hotter. Oil burns hotter, antifreeze runs hotter.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Resident Troll.

Since the intake manifold and TB are not affected by heat soak, the engine block cannot shed the heat as well thus it runs hotter. Oil burns hotter, antifreeze runs hotter.
exactly! you beat me to it thank you!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Since we both got 99 TL-P, I look forward to your review! I've been contemplating about this mod for quite some time, but didn't do this mod for lack of feedback from our TL members.
Do you have a bored TB? What's the I.D.? I got this set even though I'm probably gonna get the TypeS TB. I figure I can haggle with them for that spacer when I need it.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Do you have a bored TB? What's the I.D.? I got this set even though I'm probably gonna get the TypeS TB. I figure I can haggle with them for that spacer when I need it.
Thx for the explanation, I understand now. Yeah, I did bore out my OEM TB, similar to King Motorsports big bore TB, but which was done locally by A&J. I don't know what the new measurements are, didn't ask for it. Would this be a problem?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Resident Troll.

Thx for the explanation, I understand now. Yeah, I did bore out my OEM TB, similar to King Motorsports big bore TB, but which was done locally by A&J. I don't know what the new measurements are, didn't ask for it. Would this be a problem?
the spacer might be too small for your TB. Your options are to either measure the bore and see if a type S spacer will work or forget the TB spacer and only use the manifold spacers. By ignoring the TB spacer you wont get that shift in the torque curve since you wont be increasing the path.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Pro

I also order the thermo spacers, could not wait on the GB, to save 5-10 dollars. If they come in this week, I should have them on for the weekend. Will give you my then!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
I also order the thermo spacers, could not wait on the GB, to save 5-10 dollars. If they come in this week, I should have them on for the weekend. Will give you my then!

Sounds good. I'm hoping to have them by the weekend/
Old 03-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

the spacer might be too small for your TB. Your options are to either measure the bore and see if a type S spacer will work or forget the TB spacer and only use the manifold spacers. By ignoring the TB spacer you wont get that shift in the torque curve since you wont be increasing the path.
OK, so the big bore TB mod I did will make the spacer too small (ie: the diameter of the TB is bigger than the spacer's diameter, and therefore there is a restriction when slapping the spacer over the TB opening). Just wondering: can the spacer be bored out with a machining tool? If this is possible, I could get A&J to match the bore diameter from my TB to the spacer, and it should then work(?). What do you think?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Pro

OK, so the big bore TB mod I did will make the spacer too small (ie: the diameter of the TB is bigger than the spacer's diameter, and therefore there is a restriction when slapping the spacer over the TB opening). Just wondering: can the spacer be bored out with a machining tool? If this is possible, I could get A&J to match the bore diameter from my TB to the spacer, and it should then work(?). What do you think?

I don't see why not, I have the Helix TB Spacer, from the accord, I had it bored out to match my manifold and TB. If you are able to have a "clean" cut, that's all you will need to do. You don't want to have tears or rough edges, that might interrupt the flow of air.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't see why not, I have the Helix TB Spacer, from the accord, I had it bored out to match my manifold and TB. If you are able to have a "clean" cut, that's all you will need to do. You don't want to have tears or rough edges, that might interrupt the flow of air.
Yeah, sounds good. My only concern now is whether or not the spacer is strong enough to be bore matched. I'd be screwed if I bored it, and it cracks or breaks apart.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why wouldn't the 'gains' achieved by a cooler intake stream be offset by an engine that runs hotter.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Patrick,

I have a bored out T/B from King Motorsports. I installed the thermoblock spacers last weekend on my 02 TL-S and they fit fine. The T/B is not bigger than the spacer's diameter.

Tip: Be sure to get a can of gasket remover to remove the OEM gasket from the T/B.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just ordered this too, and I'm thinking that those of us with a lower temp thermostat will be fine, plus with synthetic oil in there all the better. You know, I wonder if these spacers were the infamous MM1, or "Mystery Mod 1".
Old 03-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Resident Troll.

I think you should be fine if you have to bore out the spacer a bit try to smooth out the edges as that might get rid of some of that resonnance. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro

While we are on the subject of "excess heat" in the engine block, what would be the best way to combat this side effect of the thermo spacers?

1. Syntetic oil
2. Lower temp thermostat
3. B&M Super cooler
4.?

This could be a concern, so what can we do to take preventive messures. Let me hear your thoughts.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think you should be fine if you have to bore out the spacer a bit try to smooth out the edges as that might get rid of some of that resonnance. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you!
Yeah thx, I think I'll give that a try. Am gonna have a little chat with my speed shop first and see if they can bore it for me. I'll let you know the results.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Resident Troll.

While we are on the subject of "excess heat" in the engine block, what would be the best way to combat this side effect of the thermo spacers?

1. Syntetic oil
2. Lower temp thermostat
3. B&M Super cooler
4.?

This could be a concern, so what can we do to take preventive messures. Let me hear your thoughts.
It might not be a bad idea to switch to synthetic oil. Whatever you switch to just make sure its not mobil 1, it has a tendency to disappear and that might lead to problems later on down the road. I currently use amsoil 5w20 and yeah it is slightly more expensive but everytime I check the dipstick its all there. I wish I could say the same about mobil 1.

A thermostat might help since you are in Dallas. I decided not to go go with the mugen cooling mods since I am in Canada and it would take a lot longer to bring the car to temp in the winter. A super cooler wouldnt be necessary I dont think.

All you really can do is keep an eye on things under the hood as you should be doing already!
Old 03-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuckstl
You know, I wonder if these spacers were the infamous MM1, or "Mystery Mod 1".
If I remember correctly, the MM1 was a special intake manifold. Totally different from the spacers.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I've spoken to them recently about a large buy and I've recieved the discount pricing and details..

However, Derick (mod) closed the thread about it eairlier, but now I see NSXNEXT (mod) starting a thread on them?

What's going on? Are we allowed to disuss group buys, even though the company is not a distributor/Vendor on this site?

If so we should organize the buy now.... I'm itchin to order them..
Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro

It might not be a bad idea to switch to synthetic oil. Whatever you switch to just make sure its not mobil 1, it has a tendency to disappear and that might lead to problems later on down the road. I currently use amsoil 5w20 and yeah it is slightly more expensive but everytime I check the dipstick its all there. I wish I could say the same about mobil 1.

A thermostat might help since you are in Dallas. I decided not to go go with the mugen cooling mods since I am in Canada and it would take a lot longer to bring the car to temp in the winter. A super cooler wouldnt be necessary I dont think.

All you really can do is keep an eye on things under the hood as you should be doing already!
Thanks for the feedback, I will look in to the Mugen cooling mods and do it all at once, with the thermo spacers. Dallas does have the tendency to get really hot... 100+ hot is very normal in the summer, for days...

Thanks again
Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro

Found some info on Kingmotorspots... There is not details under our car (TL) but I found these part numbers. Will these work for a 99 TL?

Mugen Thermostat #19301-XGMR-0000
Mugen Fan Switch #37760-XK5-00N0
Mugen Radiator Cap #19045-XGER-0000
Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Resident Troll.

Found some info on Kingmotorspots... There is not details under our car (TL) but I found these part numbers. Will these work for a 99 TL?

Mugen Thermostat #19301-XGMR-0000
Mugen Fan Switch #37760-XK5-00N0
Mugen Radiator Cap #19045-XGER-0000
those are the correct parts needed for the mugen cooling mods. If you want to save a few bucks you can opt out of the rad cap since that is only for looks and does nothing. Alot of people believed that it raised the pressure within the rad but it really doesnt.

Residual - regarding the group buy I did speak to them at OE but it doesnt seem as though they are very interested in getting anything started since there are a number of people also buying them at regular price. Just remember that your not going to save very much on a gb anyways, since its such a cheap mod to begin with!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Residual - regarding the group buy I did speak to them at OE but it doesnt seem as though they are very interested in getting anything started since there are a number of people also buying them at regular price. Just remember that your not going to save very much on a gb anyways, since its such a cheap mod to begin with!
I've got 10 and 15% off pricing, depending on the ammount of orders.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I've got 10 and 15% off pricing, depending on the ammount of orders.
they told me that about 2 weeks ago. Either way its only $10-15....
Old 03-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

They need to talk to Smitty about becoming a certified vendor (which includes paying vendor fees). Until such a time, NO GROUPBUYS.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikePA
Why wouldn't the 'gains' achieved by a cooler intake stream be offset by an engine that runs hotter.
I was wondering the exact same thing myself. It would seem that any gains due to cooler intake would be counter-acted by a hotter running engine. Also, higher heat = more wear and tear on the internals(right?)
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Racer

Out of curosity. What are the installation process, price of the thermal block and on the side note, how much for the mugen coolong system, pricing and installation. I guess what i am asking for the installation is degree of difficulty. Are the 2 mods listed above reach the same outcome or its a good idea to get both. Thanks. Sorry for the extensive questioning. I am just very interested but don;t have the neccessary info. THANKS
Old 03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by SLAMMED_WDP_TLS
Out of curosity. What are the installation process, price of the thermal block and on the side note, how much for the mugen coolong system, pricing and installation. I guess what i am asking for the installation is degree of difficulty. Are the 2 mods listed above reach the same outcome or its a good idea to get both. Thanks. Sorry for the extensive questioning. I am just very interested but don;t have the neccessary info. THANKS
The instructions are somehere around here. I dont know where but if you search you will find them. Contact King Motorsports to get more info on the pricing for the mugen cooling mods or just check their website.

In terms of installation of the spacers. It didnt seem that difficult but it takes alot of time. Personally I got a friend of mine to do it all for me since he has a shop and all the right tools. It took about 2.5 hours.

The mugen cooling mods have been discussed several times in the past. It basically kicks the fan on earlier which keeps the motor cooler. I do not have the cooling mods since it would take the car ALOT longer to reach temp during the winters.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro

This should give you some info on the Mugen cooling set up! It's pretty straight forward... both of these mods are just time consuming. I'm in Texas, so I will benefit from both of these mods. I'm looking foward to the weekend.

Mugen cooling set up!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Here are the installation instructions.

http://www.outlawengineering.com/Ins...onda%20V-6.zip

I installed the thermoblock spacers last weekend. My 02-TLS does not run any hotter than before. However, the plenum cover is much cooler after the spacer install.

I also have the Mugen fan switch, thermostat and radiatior cap.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro

Just ordered mines as well.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The mugen cooling mods have been discussed several times in the past. It basically kicks the fan on earlier which keeps the motor cooler. I do not have the cooling mods since it would take the car ALOT longer to reach temp during the winters.
I disagree on the warm-up process. In stock form, the engine runs at about 195-205 degrees. With the cooling mods, it runs at about 175-185. I believe the T-stat and fan switch kick in at 180 degrees, meaning that until you hit 180, there will be no interference with the engine warming up. It will not slow down the warm-up process.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I disagree on the warm-up process. In stock form, the engine runs at about 195-205 degrees. With the cooling mods, it runs at about 175-185. I believe the T-stat and fan switch kick in at 180 degrees, meaning that until you hit 180, there will be no interference with the engine warming up. It will not slow down the warm-up process.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess I missunderstood how it works!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

so NSX, whats up with the results?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

The intake manifold is definitely cooler. Someone on the CL board dynoed it. Check it out over there.

Quick Reply: Just ordered the OE ThermoBlok spacer kit