Just joined the tranny club

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Acura TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just joined the tranny club

i posted this in someone elses thread, but figure i deserve my own

after 35k of really having the car give me all its got, the tranny started slipping on the way to work this morning. 2nd-3rd shift would rev by about 1000rpm, then jerk really hard once it shifted. i also had it hesitate in reverse several times yesterday, so i kinda figured it was time. called PAA at 9am. dropped if off at 11am. i got an enterprise windstar minivan as a loaner the thing is great... tons of room, dont feel the road, and no handling whatsoever... i almost flipped over on a turn i usually take at 60mph... tomorrow, i'm going to enterprise to exchange it for a sedan of some sort. the word from PAA is that Acura will either decide to replace the tranny right away, or they will first make PAA change the solenoids and see if it helps. either way, no ETA on how long it might take. they weren't sure if they are on backorder, but my guess based on what i'm reading here is that it will be. what really sux is that i just put Redline ATF into the car last Wednsday. $70 down the drain.

and just now (3pm), i got a call from PAA. they have confirmed it IS the tranny, and they will be waiting for a replacement to come in. ETA about 2 weeks. i'll miss not having my car for two weeks
Old 09-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Racer

now at 41k miles... I start having worries it will crap on me... hwoever, I did ATF change at 30kmiles and I do plan on doing it again at 45kmiles.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Re: Just joined the tranny club

Originally posted by ZodiakTL
they have confirmed it IS the tranny, and they will be waiting for a replacement to come in.
And you have a tranny cooler? They're not giving any trouble over that?

Old 09-23-2002, 02:55 PM
Acura TL-S

Re: Re: Just joined the tranny club

Originally posted by Beiruty

now at 41k miles... I start having worries it will crap on me... hwoever, I did ATF change at 30kmiles and I do plan on doing it again at 45kmiles.
well, i figured i'd do the same with ATF so i did it as soon as they would schedule me after 30k. i guess it was too little too late. but really, based on a couple of threads i've seen, its a design flaw, so changing liquids will not help, as the build-up may still have enough time to cuz problems

Originally posted by eggbert

And you have a tranny cooler? They're not giving any trouble over that?

well, the reason why i had PAA install my trans cooler in part, was just that - insurance. they did the work, so they shouldnt give me a hard time. it was their call on whether they can safely do the tranny cooler install, and Jens did it (he seems to be the top Acura mechanic on the east coast)
Old 09-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Banned

damn sorry to hear that ..... hopefully you'll realize the difference in ride feel when you get your car back and it'll be worth the wait!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, another one bites the dust! I just got my ride back from PAA and let me tell you something, waiting two weeks for the tranny is not fun at all. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Banned

That is why it started to slip. Putting redline in the tranny when its recommended NOT TO.

Even REDLINE says don't do it. The Honda fluid has special agents that help the belts grip better, etc. I know several who tried other than Honda fluid, within a week or so there tranny died.

after 35k of really having the car give me all its got, the tranny started slipping on the way to work this morning. 2nd-3rd shift would rev by about 1000rpm, then jerk really hard once it shifted. i also had it hesitate in reverse several times yesterday, so i kinda figured it was time. called PAA at 9am. dropped if off at 11am. i got an enterprise windstar minivan as a loaner the thing is great... tons of room, dont feel the road, and no handling whatsoever... i almost flipped over on a turn i usually take at 60mph... tomorrow, i'm going to enterprise to exchange it for a sedan of some sort. the word from PAA is that Acura will either decide to replace the tranny right away, or they will first make PAA change the solenoids and see if it helps. either way, no ETA on how long it might take. they weren't sure if they are on backorder, but my guess based on what i'm reading here is that it will be. what really sux is that i just put Redline ATF into the car last Wednsday. $70 down the drain.

and just now (3pm), i got a call from PAA. they have confirmed it IS the tranny, and they will be waiting for a replacement to come in. ETA about 2 weeks. i'll miss not having my car for two weeks
Old 09-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Banned

sorry to hear about your pains! FU(K this tranny stuff!! Thank GOD I leased the damn thing
Old 09-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Racer

ZodiakTL

How did you get Acura to pay for you to get a mini-van, my car is in the shop for a new tranny, they said its backordered 2-3 weeks, and they got me a corolla from enterprise and they said that is the best they can do, they have a budget of 30 bucks a day so spend on a loaner car. Did Acura pay for all of the windstar, or are you paying for some of it?? Let me know, THANKS
Old 09-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

GaddAMIT, just call Acura Client Care and b*tch about your tranny issue. And ask them to upgrade your loaner. They did it for me when I also got a corolla for a loaner. After I complained they put me in a Saturn sedan with power options and cd player. Not the best, but still better than a corolla.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:12 AM
Racer

client care? Do you happen to have the number to that, or know here I could find it? thanks
Old 09-24-2002, 09:11 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I got the phone number from the manual.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:43 AM
Acura TL-S

Re: Re: Just joined the tranny club

Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
That is why it started to slip. Putting redline in the tranny when its recommended NOT TO.

Even REDLINE says don't do it. The Honda fluid has special agents that help the belts grip better, etc. I know several who tried other than Honda fluid, within a week or so there tranny died.

i dont think so. same symptoms as every other tranny failure to date, and people have been babying their cars in many cases. once honda admitted that its a real production problem, all the "mod" theories went out the window. and comptech recommends upgrading to redline as part of the SC upgrade, and that is what they are testing with as well.