Just Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002 | 09:17 AM
Instructor

Just Headers?

From threads that I've read, reported gains from OBX headers seem to range from 25-35hp to the wheels.

Is this with just the headers and nothing else?

I just installed my headers and feel a noticable difference but I'm not quite sure if its 25-35 hp. Basicaly I'm wondering if I need to get exhaust and intake now so that my whole system is free flowing rather than restrictive on this one mod.
Old 10-29-2002 | 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Yup.. those gains are with just the headers from either OBX or Comptech.

One thing you must keep in mind is that the 30 or so HP is PEAK HP. That means it's the maxiumum. Not only that... but it occurs very high in the RPM range....around 5800 RPM or so. Below that range.. you're probably only going to have 10hp increase or so... which probably doesn't feel noticable to you.

During normal driving and acceleration you'll feel the difference... but the real kick will come over 5k RPM. The only real way to prove the gains are there is either to do a dyno or run a timed 1/4 mile. Then you'll be able to see your results vs. others on the board.
Old 10-29-2002 | 11:39 AM
yeah i'm bored.

juniorbeans correct, but it also wouln't hurt to add an intake as you mentioned. you should see another 6-8hp or so from that.

don't bother with the exhaust, unless you want the sound/look. the acura exhaust is already very free-flowing, you will see very minimal hp gains from an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 10-29-2002 | 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Just Headers?

Originally posted by eazy_d23
From threads that I've read, reported gains from OBX headers seem to range from 25-35hp to the wheels.

Is this with just the headers and nothing else?

I just installed my headers and feel a noticable difference but I'm not quite sure if its 25-35 hp. Basicaly I'm wondering if I need to get exhaust and intake now so that my whole system is free flowing rather than restrictive on this one mod.
What kind of difference is it that you are feeling, could you detail what it is that you installed (which manufacturer) and what your experiences are ? Sound, MPG, performance low/hign rpm,etc. You have the best answers at this point, many can speculate on the impact on headers on a TL-S but you actually have them installed.

In theory, by adding headers you have increased the engines ability to flow more spent air, your engine can now intake more air, so a less restrictive intake should help. Even installing just say a K & N air filter will enable your engine to breath better.
Old 10-29-2002 | 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Roadman.. many people have installed Headers. He's one of the first to do the OBX headers.... but the gains are pretty much identical to the Comptech's. Do a search and you should find all of the answers you're looking for........
Old 10-29-2002 | 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Juniorbean,

eazy_d23, is the first that I have read that actually HAS the headers INSTALLED. There has been a great deal of discussion on the real world gains of OBX. Of course this is all one's perspective on the actual gains but it is of interst to hear his story.

You are right, a search always turns up tons of useful info but this is one topic that seems to have more speculation than factual data.
Old 10-29-2002 | 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by roadman
Juniorbean,

eazy_d23, is the first that I have read that actually HAS the headers INSTALLED. There has been a great deal of discussion on the real world gains of OBX. Of course this is all one's perspective on the actual gains but it is of interst to hear his story.

You are right, a search always turns up tons of useful info but this is one topic that seems to have more speculation than factual data.
Ahh.. you're looking for OBX data exclusively.... my bad...

The performance gains should be identical to the Comptech's.... which was why I was suggesting the search. The comments on those would be the same as the OBX. If you're specifically looking for OBX... then I guess he's the only one so far!! You can also check acl.com as several people did that install already and our cars are pretty much the same except for a 50lb difference.....
Old 10-29-2002 | 05:35 PM
Instructor

I've had the OBX headers installed for almost two weeks now. They were my first 'under the hood' mod, and I am VERY happy with them at this point. As Juniorbean said, the gains are mostly in the upper RPM's and they are definitely noticeable. So far so good, I just hope they can hold up for a few years!
Old 10-29-2002 | 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Yute,

Thanks, What it is that is so noticable, Power, Sound,etc
Old 10-29-2002 | 06:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by roadman
Yute,

Thanks, What it is that is so noticable, Power, Sound,etc
The car just pulls much stronger in the upper RPM's, you can definitely tell the difference over stock. Sorry I can't give you any numbers, but my butt-dyno tells me there are noticeable power gains.

There is hardly any increase in sound, maybe a little more 'growl' in VTEC range, but that's it.
Old 10-30-2002 | 03:01 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

yute, do you have only the headers, or intake too? glad to hear you are enjoying the tl EVEN MORE!
Old 10-30-2002 | 08:04 AM
Instructor

I didn't realize I was one of the first to get the OBX headers in. haha.. Anyways.

Well I've driven with the OBX headers (only the headers) in for about 3 days now. 2 days of which were raining. So no hardcore tests yet but I do notice a difference nearing higher RPMs. Sound is the same as far as I can tell.

As far as power, I've noticed some changes in the way the engine Revs and even throttle response. A little surprising. And changes in shifting too. Or could this be my tranny going already? Hope not.
Old 10-30-2002 | 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by eazy_d23

As far as power, I've noticed some changes in the way the engine Revs and even throttle response. A little surprising. And changes in shifting too. Or could this be my tranny going already? Hope not.
Actually, this is kind of normal. Whenever you do a mod to your car the computer will adjust itself to take advantage of the results of that mod... in this case... better and more effecient airflow. Our ECU is a very smart module. You should probably only notice this for a short period of time... by then it will "learn" what it needs to and the car will drive like "normal".

My car did this with my intake... but then I just disconnected the battery for an hour to reset the ECU manually, and it was fine....
Old 10-30-2002 | 08:43 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean

Actually, this is kind of normal. Whenever you do a mod to your car the computer will adjust itself to take advantage of the results of that mod... in this case... better and more effecient airflow. Our ECU is a very smart module. You should probably only notice this for a short period of time... by then it will "learn" what it needs to and the car will drive like "normal".

My car did this with my intake... but then I just disconnected the battery for an hour to reset the ECU manually, and it was fine....
Good observation Bean. I actually noticed it getting a little better today. But on the safe side should i just disconnect the battery to let it relearn or just ride it out. I figure eventually the ECU will get it right.
Old 10-30-2002 | 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

At this point you're probably better off riding it out. It's been several days now... so it should pretty much be adjusted. You even mentioned it's getting better already.... so I'd just ride it out at this point.

I disconnected my battery right after my test run... so it was immediately after the install. You've come this far.. might as well let the ECU finish the process
Old 10-30-2002 | 11:56 AM
Instructor

Cool

Originally posted by power3dfx
yute, do you have only the headers, or intake too? glad to hear you are enjoying the tl EVEN MORE!
Just headers.