Just got rear-ended on my way to work!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 12:20 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Edub,
I know how you feel. No matter how careful you drive, there is always an idiot out there that should not belong behind a wheel. I was also rear-ended a year ago by some idiot that was speeding and didn't see the red light.
It turned out that idiot was a detective. He offered to pay me in cash and asked me not to report it to his insurance company.
Also, did you get the feeling that time slowed down as he was about to hit you. I felt like everything was in slow motion when the guy hit me.
Well at least you are all right. My bumper also only have a few scratches and his front end was totaled. I am very surprised at how strong our rear bumper is. Hope you get it fix soon.

------------------
Old 04-19-2001, 12:26 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

yes, someone who knows my pain.

It sure did feel like everything was slowing down, I could see what was about to happen, my mind was looking for ways to avoid it. I looked left, but there were cars, to the right and the same. So I just had to brace myself and hold my foot on the brake to make sure that no other cars would be affected.

Yeah this guy didn't want me to report it either and wanted to fix it himself. Hell no, cuz it was all his fault. I hope I get it fixed soon too, ruined my day. Now I have to spend part of it contacting my insurance and repair shops, etc..
Old 04-19-2001, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been rear ended three times since I moved to CA. Twice on the same spot (intersection of El Camino and Wolfe). Funny thing is that it ocurred less than 1 week apart.

The 1st driver was a white guy with a mecury sable that managed to scratch my bumper (nothing serious just paint is peeled off). 4 days later, an indian guy slammed into my car. My bumper and rear door (it was my sienna) was severely damaged. So the white guy got off beacause the poor indian guy damaged my car even more.

Old 04-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. Sorry man.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by chiawei:
So the white guy got off beacause the poor indian guy damaged my car even more.
Damn! If you got the check from the insurance before the second accident, you could of pocketed some cash.

Old 04-19-2001, 01:00 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your unforunate accident. Hope all goes ends up well. Be prepared to drive a 1991 Civic for your loaner with 500,000 miles on it that smells like vanilla and vomit.
Old 04-19-2001, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Don't feel so bad.. I got rear ended after 2 months of ownership by a dude in a rodeo.. I get out of the car, and notice two screw punch holes on my bumper..this short older chinese guy gets out of his car, and is patting my shoulder a thousand times while saying sorry sorry sorry sorry. I looked at him, then just walked back into my car...I ate the $hit..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 04-19-2001, 02:21 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Ouch! What a bummer. Sorry to hear that..

:-jon
Old 04-19-2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Edub-TL:
Some fellow TL owners gave a sign of their condolences as they went by.
Thats pretty cool of them. Sorry to hear this though! TLs are cursed I tell ya!
Old 04-19-2001, 05:05 PM
Instructor

I feel for you man. My first accident was two after I just picked up my TL from the shop where I got my kit bondoed to the bumper. Then they had the nerve to blame it on me for stopping on the freeway. I said "What am I suppose to do? Ram into the car in front of me or stop? Oh wait, you apparently elected to hit me." Then I when and got the estimates from the shop i got my work done. The quoted only 2bills since they had enough left-over materials to do the job. But the ***** wanted me to go to her friends place. I said "Fuk that yuou go the ticket, I am going to you insurance." Guess what I got paid 5 bills. So used the 2 bills to pay for the damage and 3 bills to buy my sub.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:07 PM
Racer

ya know what u should get......
A HITCH!

bolt it to the back of your car...and never worry about getting your bumper repainted...anyone who hit's you.... gets introduced to your hitch first

then look at their face when they can't velieve your car is perfect while their car looks like it hit a pole

hehe

Old 04-19-2001, 11:55 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Angry Just got rear-ended on my way to work!!!!

Dammit!! Why can't people be more careful when driving??? I ALWAYS am curteous to other drivers and always watch out for potential saftey concerns. WTF??

I was on my way to work in heavy traffic on 101 N. 1/2 mile before San Thomas right under the Lafayette overpass. Traffic was stopped in front of me and I was also stopped. Then this stupid fool in a prelude is speeding and changes lanes to my lane and doesn't bother to see that traffic has stopped!! He tries to brake but it was too late. WHAM!! I saw him and tried to move up enough to give him some space but it didn't help!!

I'm Okay.

My poor car only has dents on the rear bumber and some paint from his car. His fr end was messed up, his hood dented, bumber falling off, lights wouldn't close. That tells me our TLs are solid. My first accident EVER.
Some fellow TL owners gave a sign of their condolences as they went by.

Be safe out there, this just tells me that no matter how much you obey the traffic laws and try to be careful, there is always someone out there who doesn't.

This SUCKS!! Arrgh!! Sorry for the long post. Just venting...

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Edub-TL on April 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-20-2001, 01:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Memout:
ya know what u should get......
A HITCH!

bolt it to the back of your car...and never worry about getting your bumper repainted...anyone who hit's you.... gets introduced to your hitch first

then look at their face when they can't velieve your car is perfect while their car looks like it hit a pole

hehe

Edub I'm feelin for ya that sucks man but I'm glad your ok. I kinda like memouts idea because I got rear ended last year also and the guy did 1500 in damage I should've had a hitch

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by deez3.2TLny on April 20, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-20-2001, 05:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just watch out when u drive out there.Well i had somthing happen just like u.It was a year ago i was still drivin my 325i in rush hours the car in front of me was stoppin really fast i just slam my brake ABS kick in & stop in 3 to 4 inch space from the front.And watchin in my rear view mirror a Civic lockin up his tires and rear-ended me.I feel ur plan & hope u get a new pumper.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Comtech springs
Custom front Grill
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Old 04-20-2001, 06:47 AM
Instructor

make sure you get the chasis check for possible bending!

------------------
Naples Gold Metallic 2000 3.2 TL
Wings West Kit Type-W
Comptech Exhausts
INSPIRE Tails
Cleared Out Custom HID's
00BMW Sidemarker DRLights
Custom Grill
Old 04-20-2001, 07:18 AM
Advanced

My worst fear. Glad you OK
Old 04-20-2001, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry about your accident man, but hey atleast your ok and thats all thats important.

------------------
2001 Acura TL
WW Spoiler
WW Body Kit
20% Mirror tint

~Future Mods~
18" Rims
'02 Tails
Comptech Springs
Old 04-20-2001, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Glad you are ok. Be sure to have your insurance inspector check the frame, just to be sure.

I feel your pain and frustration. With all the construction around Chicago and lousy weather, you gotta be careful because people forget how to drive. But as in your case, there was nothing you could do to control the other guy. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:34 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea.. apologies. hope things work out.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:52 AM
Racer

Originally posted by 3point2TL:
make sure you get the chasis check for possible bending!

yeah he's right thats why I traded my 2000 TL
when I got rear ended they fixed the trunk lined it up, repainted it, replaced the bumper, and all that good stuff but as time wore on the ride started to change and when I took it back my guy told me the chassis was bent.

see I should've had the hitch more damage to his car none to mine

Old 04-20-2001, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Danny with a silver stock:
Thats pretty cool of them. Sorry to hear this though! TLs are cursed I tell ya!
I agree 100% absolutely! I don't know a single car that has more accidents then the Acura TL's. Especially flat tires and rear ended issues. My coworker got rear-ended, i had a flat tire within a month of my purchase, then my other coworker also got a flat the following week, my uncle got rear-ended and a flat tire, etc. There are many other stories regarding accidents on the TL's in this forums, just makes me more cautious when driving. Its definitely a CURSE!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL Silver
Old 04-20-2001, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Kenshin:

I agree 100% absolutely! I don't know a single car that has more accidents then the Acura TL's. Especially flat tires and rear ended issues. My coworker got rear-ended, i had a flat tire within a month of my purchase, then my other coworker also got a flat the following week, my uncle got rear-ended and a flat tire, etc. There are many other stories regarding accidents on the TL's in this forums, just makes me more cautious when driving. Its definitely a CURSE!

Maybe they were just admiring our TL buttocks and just had to give it a ram. Yeah I feel you, I got rear ended after 3 months of ownership.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
WW Spoiler, Comptech Exaust, Rear Comptech Sway bar, H&R OE Sport Springs, AEM CAI, Inspire Tails, Inspire Interior footwell lighting
Old 04-20-2001, 10:06 AM
Instructor

That's a total bummer. The Bay Area crazies can sure be tough on cars.

Get it fixed before the picnic in June! Did you guys pick a place and a date yet?

The TL-S is not jinxed. The TL-S is not jinxed. The TL-S...

------------------
Fins^
2002 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Old 04-20-2001, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Oh~man, that guy sucks. I had the same thing about two months ago. The lady was talking on her cell phone, and she ran away after the accident on North I-5. Shit! I hate such a thing happen, and I don't really like people who drive without cautious.
Old 04-20-2001, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear that, dude. A hitch sounds good. I know what all of you are sayin. CURSED!! Even the older tl's. I had my 96 for a week (never even bumped, had 46k on it when I drove it off the lot) and some lady slid into me in an ice storm. I was on my way to take my accounting final. The lady couldn't even speak english. She new I was mad, and I think she thought I had a shotgun under my black trench coat. She gave me her info and screwed. Anyway, passed the exam! Get that hitch, man!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 01:59 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Thanks everyone for their sympathetic words of encouragement. I don't feel so bad anymore. Not that I want others to get in any kind of accident, it is nice to know that my TL is not the only cursed one out there.

I took a closer look at the damage last night and it it was mainly just deep scratches and one dent the size of a dime. I will definately have the chassis checked out to make sure it isn't bent and also the stuff under the bumper to make sure that isn't cracked either.

The license plate is bent, luckily I have the one from the font I never put on. The impact caused the license plate frame to be imprinted into the bumber.

I don't think I will get a hitch no matter how tempting that sounds. I thought I was feeling some discomfort in my back but i think it was more psychological than anything else cuz I don't feel anything now.

Drive carefully out there everyone, and be cautious of other drivers.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Edub-TL:
I thought I was feeling some discomfort in my back but i think it was more psychological than anything else cuz I don't feel anything now.
I'm sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad to hear that you're okay. Still go to the doctor to get checked out just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-20-2001, 03:54 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. If you want me to recommend to a good shop, let me know.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads. Mugen front grille. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 04-20-2001, 04:06 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Originally posted by AcuraTL:
If you want me to recommend to a good shop, let me know.

Actually Yes, i would.

I want to make sure I take it to a place that doesn't use any cheapo parts and they will make sure the paint is correct. Idealy, I'd like to use a place that Acura uses.

It looks like very little work except for repainting the bumber.
Old 04-20-2001, 06:25 PM
OG

If there is a dent on your rear bumper, they'll probably have to repair it first before they can paint it. If it is cracked, then they would have to replace it.

Which area do you want to go to? Peninsula or in San Jose?
Old 04-20-2001, 06:48 PM
Acuras Only in

It got something to do with the rain in CA : local drivers are freaked out when they see rain & don't watch out for the raod any more ...

I hope you feel better man & get the money to add some mods to your ride ....
Old 04-20-2001, 06:53 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Sam, I'd prefer to stay in the South bay. My car is my only means of transportation, and if I have to leave it for a while, someone will have to give me a ride, I don't want it to be too far. There isn't any cracks, just very minor looking dent.

shooter - It wasn't raining when I got hit. Just a careless driver.
I hope I get some $ too, could use it towards some springs/sways... hmm
Old 04-20-2001, 07:06 PM
OG

If it isn't that bad, why don't you just keep the money and use it to get some parts for your car?
Old 04-20-2001, 07:10 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

I might just do that, as long as what is underneth the bumper isn't damaged I'll live with it. heck yeah if I get enough money, I'll use it for my CT exhausts...
Old 04-20-2001, 07:15 PM
OG

If you look at your rear bumper from the rear and you do not see a misalignment, then it probably was pretty minor. At the most, the rear impact absorber (styrofoam) is cracked but they won't know until they either take the rear bumper off or you can stick your head underneath the rear bumper and check.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:57 PM

sorry to hear about someone rear-ending your car. seems a bit ironic though, seeing that in all the comparison tests it's the TL that takes the longest distance to break (from 60-0). =)