IS300 vs. 3.2 Type S

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 01:21 PM

Lightbulb IS300 vs. 3.2 Type S

Guy,
I do not own any of the above car yet but would like to know what you all think about the Lexus '01 IS300 vs. '02 3.2 Type S (Perfomance, Look, Reliability, Service, Comfortable, ect..) I test drove the IS300 yesterday and wasn't impressive as people say it is, in fact I was dissappoint overall. I know it is hard to compare the 2 BUT since I haven't test drive the Type S yet and would like to hear some feed back from you all who ever had experience with the above two cars. Thanks
Old 05-23-2001, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300: fun to drive, handles well, quick.. A TOY-- not something I'd want for my everyday driving. Looks are nice, although even a stock IS looks like it's been modded/riced.

TL-S: fun to drive, handles well but not as well as IS, quicker than IS.. A more practical car for everyday driving. I like the looks of the 2002 much better than than the earlier models. Finally starting to stand out a little.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:49 PM

Thanks Tag66, what about the ride of Type S? Is it smooth, comfortable and quite. I used to own a modified MR2 (Fun, but rought ride), so I'm more interesting in Smooth, quite and fast luxury sedan like the '02 TL TypeS. Is the TypeS will be my idea type of car? Since I'm pretty at work and will not have a free time until weekend, which I will go and test drive a car for myself, but in the mean time, I would like to hear more feed back and comments from '02 TL Types owner. Thanks again
Old 05-23-2001, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Since I'm pretty at work... [/B]
Are you still taking requests about car comparison or are you talking about self-diagnosis?
Old 05-23-2001, 01:57 PM
Racer

I just picked up my TL-s on Monday. It's so quiet you can hardly hear the engine running. The ride is fairly smooth. If you're looking for a cushy/soft ride, you should drive the base TL. The type S has a sport suspension that is tighter and hugs the road more. It's a smooth ride, but you do feel the bumps in the road. So far I love the TL-S and I know it was a much better decision for me than the IS300. I just wish it would stop raining finally...
Old 05-23-2001, 02:22 PM

Well, I own an IS, and this car is the most fun when you are cutting through traffic or on the twisties. One of the best handling sports sedans out there. In terms of handling the only real competition with it is a S4 or 330i with sports package. However, the ride is choppy and beats you up over time, and I would not recommend long drives. If you live in an area like Irvine or Tustin Ranch where the streets are like glass, with no pot holes, it maybe ok however if you drive the mean streets of LA, you will be replacing quite a few alloys. I am on my 7th alloy. Plus the Bridgestone RE 040 have a nasty habit of bulging when you hit potholes (Audi is recalling these on their S4 and TT's, but no such recall from Lexus).

In terms of reliability, I bought mine back in 11/00 and have had a grip of problems with the radio, undercarriage ripping off at high speed, rear pinion seal leaking tranny fluid, and I still have a ECM/TRAC tranny issue, but the parts are on backorder.

The power on the TL-S is addictive and when that v-tec kicks in, oh baby! sweet sounds of heavy breathing. Unfortunately, I wish the car sat about 2 inches lower, hand wider tires, at least 225/45's, and was rear wheel drive. I am seriously, still debating whether to sell the IS and get another ride. So far this is my short list: S4, TT, TL-S, or WRX.

The TL-S will beat the IS on the straights, any day of the week, however canyons runs will be questionable. TL-S definitely more comfortable car. I'm sure you have heard all this stuff before.

On a side note, I read a post several weeks back where folks were saying do not take on a S4. My experience has been that a stock s4 with auto is about as quick (feeling when I test drove it) as my IS300. The auto really kills that car. You should have no problems killing the S4 on the straights. a S4 with 6 spd is a different story. it is almost like the manual wakes up that beast and it does indeed become a force to be reckoned with.

I might, dump the IS and get a WRX. In terms of sheer driving pleasure, not speed or looks, I really loved it. However the pimp handle factor drops way down.
Old 05-23-2001, 02:38 PM

Thanks all for the quick reply to my posted. As I said earlier, "I'm pretty BUSY at work and will not have time to go for a test drive myself until this Saturday" But so far, the TypeS is still #1 on my list. Again, Thanks all.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:33 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TLS definitely. My coworker who sits like 10 feet away bought the IS300 and I'm pretty much familiar with everything that has happened to him since the day he bought it. As far as both cars are concerned, either one is a good buy. I personally would of chosen the IS300 over an audi and a BMW just because I believe it has better performance/dollar ratio than the German cars. It wasnt until the type S did I change my 3 car lineup just a few months ago, the IS300, the audi a4 (quattro), or the TL/w NAV. Don't get me wrong, I drive my coworker's car now and then and I do believe that its a funner ride just because its smaller (cant really beat the laws of physics), but its not until I step back in my TLS do I trully appreciate all the creature comforts of what acura offers (I should know...my TLS is in the shop getting the body kit installed and I'm driving around in a Nissan Altima). I know it may be small, but little details like missing armrests are things you wouldnt really notice untill you drive both cars for long periods of time. I personally believe I have the best of both worlds. If I want to go out and have fun in the twisties, we just go and take my coworkers car out to lunch, but if we want a more luxurious ride, then TLS it is. Hearing a womans voice when you step in the car also helps put a smile on my face. Just on a side note, it wasn't until my sister pointed out that I noticed that the voice from the NAV might be from an asian decent...better for me! Just my type

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 05-23-2001, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

The IS looks like a modified Honda Civic...although its a bit more fun to drive than the Type S because of its size. But luxury is lacking for the brand name and looks cheap! Performance is worse than the Type S. I wouldnt buy it.

As for the Audi, I've driven the S4 a lot, it will beat a TLS and IS300 any day...just because of the quattro.

The TLS is lazy during passing manuvers because of the low RPM, you have to really hit the gas or downshift to D4/D3?? while in the S4 you just hit the gas and the car will just leap forward....

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thejavagod on May 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-23-2001, 04:08 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in the same position as you when I decided to get a new car. The IS300 or TypeS. The best way to find out is to test drive both. Went to the Lexus dealer test drove a IS, good handling, powerful and overall not bad. Then went to Acura dealer and as soon as I sat in the TypeS, I immediately fell in love of it. One thing that attracted me was the spacious room and the adjustable armrest in the TLS. The IS was really small compared to the TypeS. After I took it for a spin, the TypeS is definitely a better choice. Great acceleration and smooth and the vtec really growls. Very happy with first experience and bought it right on the spot. Oh one more major factor that you might want to get the TLS rather than the IS is that the TLS will be able to drive in snow. If you don't believe me, take a look at this post. http://www.is300.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ult...c&f=1&t=008057

------------------
2002 Black on Black TL TypeS

Old 05-23-2001, 05:15 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
TN

IMO -
I drove a 2001 IS300, don't know if it was the new improved higher HP engine or not, but it was okay. I thought the base TL was as quick, while offering a better ride and more room. The TLS felt much quicker and the handling was good, just not quite as good as the IS. Maybe it was the smaller car feel that helped the IS out.

So what do you want? A smaller car feel with slightly better handling, or a bigger and roomier car that really scoots.

I've had my TLS for almost 2 months and it's a real blast to run around in. I've already embarrassed a Porsche Boxster, Z3-M Roadster , Trans-AM and a Toyota Supra SE.

Hitting the accelerator at 50MPH is a sweet spot. :-) - RUF

QUOTE]Originally posted by TNguyenTypeS:
Guy,
I do not own any of the above car yet but would like to know what you all think about the Lexus '01 IS300 vs. '02 3.2 Type S (Perfomance, Look, Reliability, Service, Comfortable, ect..) I test drove the IS300 yesterday and wasn't impressive as people say it is, in fact I was dissappoint overall. I know it is hard to compare the 2 BUT since I haven't test drive the Type S yet and would like to hear some feed back from you all who ever had experience with the above two cars. Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Old 05-23-2001, 05:27 PM
Instructor

"I've had my TLS for almost 2 months and it's a real blast to run around in. I've already embarrassed a Porsche Boxster, Z3-M Roadster , Trans-AM and a Toyota Supra SE."

Embarassed an M Roadster? Who was driving it - an old lady with no arms? Seriously, the TLS is quick, but not THAT quick.

------------------
2002 Aegean Blue TL-S w/Navi

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by cjscott on May 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-23-2001, 05:35 PM

Smile

Ruf87,

I think I want a fast, comfortable smooth ride, with a combination of fully luxury sedan (so that I could embarrassed many sport car outthere !!!). So far, I'm very happy by reading all of the reply posted regarding to the TL_S, and will go for a test drive this weekend to find out for myself. Damn, now I'm really looking forward into this weekend !!!! Can't wait any longer.
Old 05-23-2001, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TNguyenTypeS:

I think I want a fast, comfortable smooth ride, with a combination of fully luxury sedan (so that I could embarrassed many sport car outthere !!!). So far, I'm very happy by reading all of the reply posted regarding to the TL_S, and will go for a test drive this weekend to find out for myself. Damn, now I'm really looking forward into this weekend !!!! Can't wait any longer.
The TL-S has all the qualities you mentioned you wanted. The IS, while still a very nice ride, is not really what I'd call a "luxury sedan" despite the Lexus badge.

------------------
2002 Aegean Blue TL-S w/Navi
Old 05-23-2001, 06:36 PM
Racer

Cool

I'll offer this from a standpoint of purely cosmetic perceptions and personal preference:

I took my wife last weekend to look at the TL-S (I've already decided, and she has a new car, but she and I both wanted to see the various colors in person, and the dealer had them all on the lot). When she saw the TL-S in black (my choice) she said: "Very sharp and clean. This car suits you."

We went next door to the Lexus dealer and looked at a black is300. She said: "Ooh, that's a cute car."

'Nuff said. If I wanted "cute" I'd buy a Bug.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

'Nuff said. If I wanted "cute" I'd buy a Bug.[/B]
yeah..and one in pink
Old 05-24-2001, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by cjscott:
[BI've already embarrassed a Porsche Boxster, Z3-M Roadster , Trans-AM and a
[/B]
the guy in the M roadster was not racing you

Old 05-24-2001, 10:34 PM
Instructor

I did a test drive in the IS300 before the TL-S was released. It's a nice car, held some tight corners extremely well and had decent acceleration. Big problem for me was paying over $30K for a car I could not get comfortable in. It's really small inside! With the front seat adjusted back far enough to accommodate my 6'3" frame, even my 5-year old wouldn't have enough room for his legs in the back seat.

I made the right choice with the TL-S. For my purposes, anyway!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-24-2001, 10:57 PM
Advanced

I like the TL-S better than the IS300. I think the IS300 is simply over priced. The interior is not comfortable for passengers. I don't like the tail lights either. It definitely more of a sport machine than the TL-S.

At $35k, the IS300 doesn't appeal to me. You can get a TL-S for $31k which is much more classy looking and roomy (with power to spare). You can get a BMW which is a step up in performance/handling, and a more luxurious and better looking car.

Lexus styled the IS300 to attract young buyers. Unfortunately, most of the people who like the car can't afford it. It should be $31k loaded without riceboy tail lights. They'd sell a lot more.

-Scott
Old 05-25-2001, 02:39 AM
Instructor

For a sports sedan that weighs close to 3600lbs. the TL-S has very good throttle response. I have to admit this is one of the best automatics I have experienced. And changing gears with the shifter beats pushing buttons.
Old 05-27-2001, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TNguyenTypeS:
Thanks Tag66, what about the ride of Type S? Is it smooth, comfortable and quite. I used to own a modified MR2 (Fun, but rought ride), so I'm more interesting in Smooth, quite and fast luxury sedan like the '02 TL TypeS.
Originally posted by Tag66:
It's so quiet you can hardly hear the engine running. The ride is fairly smooth. If you're looking for a cushy/soft ride, you should drive the base TL. The type S has a sport suspension that is tighter and hugs the road more. It's a smooth ride, but you do feel the bumps in the road.
TNguyenTypeS
Trust me it's much smoother than the MR2!!
I'm coming from a 94 RX7 and have 2 friends with 91-93 MR2s. The rides are worlds apart. I've test driven the TL-S 3 times. It has an aggressive feel but you don't bounce and feel every little pebble in the road like a sports car. Go drive one, two or three times you'll love it.

Old 05-27-2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by thejavagod:
The IS looks like a modified Honda Civic...But luxury is lacking for the brand name and looks cheap! ...I wouldnt buy it.
I agree. A co-worker of mine called the IS300 a "pimp-mobile." He's from NY and he says it looks like a Civic straight from the hood. I agree...the IS is childish looking - my kid brother would love one - he wouldn't even have to modify it.

The TL-S is sophisticated looking and the interior is not tacky as in the IS. Look at that ridiculous interior! I mean, that looks really cheezy. It's not luxurious inside at all.

The IS300 is fast and has a great suspension. Fast I know because I raced one in my 5.0 Mustang (automatic) and he stayed with me pretty well. However, if you want luxury and a smoother ride, get the TL-S.