iPod --> Blitzsafe --> Stock Radio in 10 min

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod --> Blitzsafe --> Stock Radio in 10 min

For anybody looking to hook up a cable to the CD changer port, it is definitely worth trying to reach behind the radio rather than removing the radio. You can install a Blitzsafe in about 10 minutes.

Sure beats disassembling the left half of your car interior.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was gonna try that, but my fat ass hands would not allow. I should of given it more effort. I bet that IPOD sounds great on the Bose system! I use mine for XM
Old 09-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I was gonna try that, but my fat ass hands would not allow. I should of given it more effort. I bet that IPOD sounds great on the Bose system! I use mine for XM
I would say that between disassembling the left half of your car interior, and losing 20 lbs, you picked the better choice.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

How do i install the blitzsafe adapter without removing the interior, i was gonna get the thing so u can hear the mp3 player through your cars radio, but the quality probably wont be as good. and will the blitzsafe adapter fit on all mp3 players? and where and for how much can i get one?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

im a car noobie and i would need step by step instructions with pictures in order to venture out this project, i would love to be able to put my ipod integrated w/ my car stereo tho =/
Old 09-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Advanced

I've seen the step-by-step instructions and it's a pretty involved procedure considering that essentially all we're looking to do is plug in one cable. Can you tell me from which side you did your reaching in? I know you mentioned the left, but it's unclear (to me anyway) if you went in that way, or you meant you avoided disassembling the left by opening the right side.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

icelink is a better choice if you have an iPOD, since you can change songs with the steering wheel control button. It's also more expensive but if you can afford an iPOD. It shouldn't be a problem.

I have the blitzsafe cd changer/aux adapter in the TL and Icelink in the Accord.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hzm82
icelink is a better choice if you have an iPOD, since you can change songs with the steering wheel control button. It's also more expensive but if you can afford an iPOD. It shouldn't be a problem.

I have the blitzsafe cd changer/aux adapter in the TL and Icelink in the Accord.
I was thinking about getting an IceLink, despite the price (hey, if you're going to do something like this, do it right from the start), but iPodLounge reported a lot of firmware problems with it. Do you have any personal experience with it? If so, what are your experiences? Any problems?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mikeypo0
im a car noobie and i would need step by step instructions with pictures in order to venture out this project, i would love to be able to put my ipod integrated w/ my car stereo tho =/

Here's how you do it:
First, get yourself a philips-head screwdriver and a beer.

Next, see this website for instructions:
http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...er_console.htm

You only need to follow steps 1-8 to get access to the radio. On step 5, it instructs you to disconnect a cable to the center armrest. This is not necessary.

Once you finish step 8, you will have access to the right side of the radio. You can feel the open CD-changer slot if you reach under/around the radio. In this picture, the CD-changer plug is where this guy's middle finger would be:

Take a look at this picture for a look at the back of a TL radio:

The CD-changer port is the small connector at the bottom-left of this picture. It is possible to connect a cable to that port while the radio is still in the dash if you reach behind the radio and play around with it for a few minutes (I recommend sitting in the passenger seat, and reaching under the radio with your left hand). Just hook a Blitzsafe/Icelink cable into here, put everything back together, and you will now have RCA-inputs to your 2nd gen Acura TL headunit.

To access this, just hit the CD button on the radio to access the CD-changer inputs. The input will read 1-99.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hansgovil
How do i install the blitzsafe adapter without removing the interior, i was gonna get the thing so u can hear the mp3 player through your cars radio, but the quality probably wont be as good. and will the blitzsafe adapter fit on all mp3 players? and where and for how much can i get one?
1) To install Blitzsafe without removing the left side of your interior, see the above post.

2) The Blitzsafe will work with any MP3 player, because its inputs are RCA line-ins. An iPod has two connectors... one headphone jack at the top, and one docking connector at the bottom. What you want is LINE LEVEL OUTPUT. A line-level output is an audio signal that has not been amplified (you will be using your TL radio headunit as the amplifier). To get this from an iPod, I used a SiK Imp cable:
http://www.sik.com/imp.php

If you are not willing to get line-level output from your MP3 player, and plan on using the headphone jack of your MP3 player, then don't bother with a Blitzsafe. You will get a lot of background hissing and poor sound quality if you use the headphone jack, and the whole point of installing a Blitzsafe is to eliminate background hissing and poor sound quality.

3) The last thing you will need is a 1/8" mini stereo to RCA cable, about 3' to 6' in length. Just go to any electronics store (Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) and ask for one.

4) You can buy a blitzsafe here:
http://www.blitzsafe.com/

The part number I bought was HON/AUX DMX V.1
Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Ackniculous One

NOt sure if it's my XM Delphi unit or the Bose system that cuts out my mids and highs when I use the Blitzsafe to play my XM radio. I know it sounds better than the tape adapter, but I am kind of disappointed. I really think its the Bose system trying to figure out what to do with the external audio signal. What I love most about the blitzsafe is the ability to toggle back and forth by just hitting the CD button on the stereo. If I got the additional changer, then it becomes a three way toggle. In Dash CD ---> External Changer -----> then AUX or XM.

I really wish some company would create an aftermarket radio exactly like our stock head unit, but add the built in XM capability. That would be hella tight!
Old 09-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CJITTY
NOt sure if it's my XM Delphi unit or the Bose system that cuts out my mids and highs when I use the Blitzsafe to play my XM radio. I know it sounds better than the tape adapter, but I am kind of disappointed. I really think its the Bose system trying to figure out what to do with the external audio signal. What I love most about the blitzsafe is the ability to toggle back and forth by just hitting the CD button on the stereo. If I got the additional changer, then it becomes a three way toggle. In Dash CD ---> External Changer -----> then AUX or XM.

I really wish some company would create an aftermarket radio exactly like our stock head unit, but add the built in XM capability. That would be hella tight!
Try using a non-XM source, like line-out from a CD walkman or something.

But I'd be willing to bet it's the Bose system. Bose is notorious for trying to squeeze too much power out of undersized speakers, resulting in a lot of roll off on the treble and base. No highs, no lows? It's Bose.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

How about the FM transmitter things for the MP3 players where u just set ur radio to an open fm station and the mp3 player plays through that station, how do those those sound? does anyone have one? input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kent1146
I was thinking about getting an IceLink, despite the price (hey, if you're going to do something like this, do it right from the start), but iPodLounge reported a lot of firmware problems with it. Do you have any personal experience with it? If so, what are your experiences? Any problems?
I wasn't aware of firmware problems. Do you remember which car models they were talking about or the types of problems?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

How about the FM transmitter things for the MP3 players where u just set ur radio to an open fm station and the mp3 player plays through that station, how do those those sound? does anyone have one? input is greatly appreciated.
The protable FM transmitters like ones made by Arkon and iROCK are piece of crap. They lose out if there is a radio station using the same bands. The sound quality is horrible. The Arkon one is worst because it has an analog tuner........when you're on the road and you start losing the station, you don't have time to be fiddling with the analog tuner. iROCK atleast has a digitial tuner.

They sound horrible also. Try comparing a FM station to a CD. Just hit FM button and then back to the CD button. You can tell a huge difference in sound quality.

I tried all Arkon brand transmitters and iROCK. Both are NOT recommended.

If you must be cheap, invest in a tape deck adapter.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

The protable FM transmitters like ones made by Arkon and iROCK are piece of crap. They lose out if there is a radio station using the same bands. The sound quality is horrible. The Arkon one is worst because it has an analog tuner........when you're on the road and you start losing the station, you don't have time to be fiddling with the analog tuner. iROCK atleast has a digitial tuner.

They sound horrible also. Try comparing a FM station to a CD. Just hit FM button and then back to the CD button. You can tell a huge difference in sound quality.

I tried all Arkon brand transmitters and iROCK. Both are NOT recommended.

If you must be cheap, invest in a tape deck adapter.
Thanks, i think ill go for the blitzsafe, so its plug and play? and where can i buy one from?
Old 09-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Ackniculous One

I tried using the wireless XM transmitter that I use in my other car and tried it in the TL. Sounded the same. I think it is indeed the Bose that is blocking the sound quality
Old 09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Anyone know the difference between the regular Bllitzsafe adapter ($69) and the dual input version ($99)? And don't say $30!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:39 PM
10th Gear

the dual input allows cd changer and audio input ( two sources) , the other one allows either audio input or alpine cd changer (depends on the model)
Old 09-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

I wasn't aware of firmware problems. Do you remember which car models they were talking about or the types of problems?
http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...d=4665_0_6_0_M

It looks like the author used it in an Accord with an aftermarket headunit.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks, i think ill go for the blitzsafe, so its plug and play? and where can i buy one from?
It is NOT plug and play. In case you were absent for this entire thread, read previously posted messages. The whole point of this thread is that a Blitzsafe is NOT plug-and-play, but it can be much easier to install than previously thought.

To find out where to buy one, read previously posted messages.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Banned

http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...d=4665_0_6_0_M

It looks like the author used it in an Accord with an aftermarket headunit.
Don't be concern with it then. I already know two people with the Icelink on the TL stock HU and it works. It works great in my Accord.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Banned

You can buy Icelink and the Blitzsafe adapter from these guys.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/

I highly recommend them because my first Blitzsafe had problems and they send me another one within a week. Great people. A++++
Old 09-18-2004, 10:12 AM
im the best

though somewhat off topic, alpine is putting out an ipod interface that works as a go-between with their ai-net compatible headunits and the ipod. it looks to be pretty small but will display song titles and give you control via the headunit.
kca-420i (supposedly out this month)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm

for now i have the blitzsafe and use the ipod remote and bury the ipod in the center console. its great except for changing playlists, etc. ten technologies was supposed to create a bluetooth remote with display but so far that has not manifested itself.
naviplay (supposedly out soonish or something)
http://www.tentechnology.com/support/faq_naviplay.php

i may go the alpine way...
Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Instructor

For those that have in stalled the Blitzsafe, where do you route the RCA wires to make them accessible for your XM hookup?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Cruisin'

Depends on where you want to mount your XM unit.

If you mount in your cup holder / center armrest area, then you can run wires alongside of the center armrest area. There is a gap near the front of the retracting cover over the cupholder area that allows you to run cables into the cupholder / armrest area (close the retracting cover half way to get a better view). Or you could drill a hole for cables in the center armrest area

If you mount in the glovebox, just run cables along the right-side paneling and behind the glovebox. You can probably drill a hole to pass cables through to the glovebox.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Instructor

I just installed my Blitzsafe and I have to say this thread is a keeper!

I was able to install the adaptor without removing the stereo. I just followed the instructions as posted above and it was pretty easy. I had to fumble around a bit until the connector to snap into place, but the pictures of the back of the head unit were very helpful. I would imagine removing the Blitzsafe is harder than installing it because of the way the connector clips into place.

I plugged in some RCA cables I had on hand and ran that to the cupholder area. I plan to get a cupholder mount for a Roady XM radio. I can easily pull power from the center storage bin which is one reason I went with this location. The final step is to run the antenna to this same spot and I will have a clean install with few (or no) exposed wires.

Has anyone else tried the cupholder mount? Does it work well? I have searched on ebay and seen some stalk mounts - one that comes up from the passenger seat floor, and another that comes off the windshield. DIdn't know how well these would work since the stalk might move around as I try to press buttons on the XM unit. I didn't want to use the adhesive mounts on the dash either. I guess there aren't that many options left

Thanks to all.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Instructor

OK, I just got an XM2Go for Christmas, and I tried it with my previously installed Blitzsafe adapter. I'm hooking up to the line output of the XM2Go car base unit (versus the headphone jack which is not appropriate in this situation).

I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed in the volume level. I have to really crank up the volume on the HU to get the same loudness that I get with the radio or CDs.

Is this a normal side-effect of the Blitzsafe and our HU?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Advanced

It is NOT plug and play. In case you were absent for this entire thread, read previously posted messages. The whole point of this thread is that a Blitzsafe is NOT plug-and-play, but it can be much easier to install than previously thought.
elaborate please...
I thought by buying the correct model, the adapter comes with the OEM HU cd changer plug, so you can plug it in directly...ready to use.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Instructor

I also tried using my Blitzsafe with a Roady XM radio. Same issue. If I want full sound, I have to crank the volume to the max. WHen I'm listening to the CDs or the FM stereo, I never need to turn the volume up that much.

It seems like the Blitzsafe is losing lots of volume somehow.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro

From what I can see the ICELink provides better audio quality than the Blitzsafe, but has anyone installed the ICElink in a second gen TL? I have a 4G 40GB Ipod and am looking into going with the ICElink but don't know if for quality of sound it is the best bet? I don't even know it it will fit! thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Advanced

ok...
today, I tried reaching through the back to see if I can even touch the radio...
not even close.
How did you guys get your hands in there to plug it in without taking the radio out?
Old 01-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Got a Job!

I'm confused as hell as to HOW the iPod is hooked up to the stereo. I realize that we need the Blitzsafe to hook it up. Then I need that SiK imp thing and mini-stereo to RCA cable. But in what order does it go?

Basically, what goes into what, as far as hooking it up? I'm sorry I'm such an idiot, I just don't know what plugs into what.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Honor...

Is it possible to hook this up without disconnecting the changer in the trunk?
Yes, it seems kinda redundant to have an ipod and a changer but I am curious if it's possible. (ix-nay on the smart remarks please...)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dem1K
I'm confused as hell as to HOW the iPod is hooked up to the stereo. I realize that we need the Blitzsafe to hook it up. Then I need that SiK imp thing and mini-stereo to RCA cable. But in what order does it go?

Basically, what goes into what, as far as hooking it up? I'm sorry I'm such an idiot, I just don't know what plugs into what.
Here is your hookup order from the headunit back to the iPod...
1.Headunit (CD Changer interface)
2.Blitzsafe Adapter
3.RCA cable
4.Monster iSplitter for iPod
5.SiK imp adapter (provides power + audio interface to iPod)
6.iPod

One word of caution... The volume issues with the Blitzsafe adapter will be a problem with this setup due to all sound amplification comming from the headunit as opposed to the iPod as well as the headunit.

I have the following setup... which allows me to boost the volume on the iPod as well as through the headunit... and by boost I mean increase.

1.Headunit (CD Changer interface)
2.Blitzsafe Adapter
3.RCA cable + built in RCA splitter which converts RCA to a headphone jack male connector. (This can be found at any Apple store)
4.iPod

For power I purchased the Belkin car charger...
Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

if you havent already, turn the volume all the way up on your mp3 player as well. this will help the low volume level.