intake noise !!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 01:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake noise !!!! help

i just made a custom intake for my car....its something like the xeyphe intake pretty much just the top part of the filter holder taking out and a 90 degree elbow put in place and a k and n connected to the end......the car runs and sounds fine but at idle there is a deep humm that comes from it....its not loud when you close to the filter but at the corner of my garage its loud deep bass humm.....anyone know what can cause this and how i can maybe solve this lil problem....im thinking since the stock part of the tube is made in a ripply design it may be the turblence of the air going into it like a whislting straw effect...anyone know? thanks

JONLERD
Old 06-05-2002, 01:29 AM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Get a AEM and everthing will be fine
Old 06-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
You bypassed your intake resonator. Its only job is to kill intake noise. If its not functioning you are going to get noise. You wouldnt complaion about noise if you removed your mufflers would you? You are just going to have to live with it, its one of the trade offs of an aftermarket intake system.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

Re: intake noise !!!! help

Originally posted by asiankidd
......the car runs and sounds fine but at idle there is a deep humm that comes from it....its not loud when you close to the filter but at the corner of my garage its loud deep bass humm.....
JONLERD
this could just be the acoustics of your garage. do you get the same bassy hummm when your car is in an empty parking lot?

similar to when I'm in my bedroom with the stereo cranking, some songs sound normal, but when I go near or in my closet area, the bass is magnified like 10x. it's the acoustical design of my room and the placement of my speakers.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
It is a resonance as Mr. Hyde suggested - I had the same problem with my aftermarket filter when I removed the resonator.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: intake noise !!!! help

Originally posted by baggsTLS

this could just be the acoustics of your garage. do you get the same bassy hummm when your car is in an empty parking lot?

similar to when I'm in my bedroom with the stereo cranking, some songs sound normal, but when I go near or in my closet area, the bass is magnified like 10x. it's the acoustical design of my room and the placement of my speakers.

yeah the noise is much less but none the less its still there....and the noise is it really suppose to be a humming sounds...i just thought with the resonator gone....its just suppose to be lond sucking wise but this is almost like a whistleing noise.....i have cars with intakes b4 and this is definatly not normal...just wondering if anyone else noticed this problem.....
Old 06-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

here is a pic of the intake for those of you to see maybe that will help towards figuring out why my car is making a annoying humm....

2nd annual SOCAL joint tl/prelude/cl meet june 22nd

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=40155
Old 06-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

does the aem cai humm like how you sould hear it when the resonator is removed?

Old 06-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
You bypassed your intake resonator. Its only job is to kill intake noise. If its not functioning you are going to get noise. You wouldnt complaion about noise if you removed your mufflers would you? You are just going to have to live with it, its one of the trade offs of an aftermarket intake system.
sorry about the previous post....anyways im not complaing about the noise im complaing about a distince humm......its like an annoying vacuum leak that whistles you know its not normal.....so that is why im asking....im not stupid to pull of parts and then start complaing...(your muffler analogy) none the less i just wondering if the humm was the effect people go too when they have the aem........this is all at idle btw.....

Old 06-06-2002, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The whistle is normal, and just amplified in your garage. MY CAI used to do the same thing, and thats exactly why I didnt put one on the TL
Old 06-06-2002, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
The whistle is normal, and just amplified in your garage. MY CAI used to do the same thing, and thats exactly why I didnt put one on the TL
the whistling was just a example to compare the humm to.....do you have the humming noise when you had the cai?

Old 06-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry about the previous post....anyways im not complaing about the noise im complaing about a distince humm......its like an annoying vacuum leak that whistles you know its not normal.....so that is why im asking....im not stupid to pull of parts and then start complaing...(your muffler analogy) none the less i just wondering if the humm was the effect people go too when they have the aem........this is all at idle btw.....
I know what you are talking about. first thing, check for "bold". I'm not sure about type S, but on TL-P the second resornator that looks like JL under the pipe kills this humming noise, but type S does not have this JL looking thing, so the first resornator probably is the one that reduces the humming. There is not much you can't do.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

well its not a vacuum leak for sure cus no piping other than the main one was touch none the less it seald....the engine at start and idle turns the hummms off momentarily...i dunno how but its werid like when i rev it the sounds dies out and b4 it returns to idle(near idle speed) the hum disappears and then all the suddend comes back at the same rpm it was at earlier....so there must be a valve in there or something but anyone of you guys with type s that has some kind of short ram do you experience the same thing?

Jon Lerd

Old 06-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well its not a vacuum leak for sure cus no piping other than the main one was touch none the less it seald....the engine at start and idle turns the hummms off momentarily...i dunno how but its werid like when i rev it the sounds dies out and b4 it returns to idle(near idle speed) the hum disappears and then all the suddend comes back at the same rpm it was at earlier....so there must be a valve in there or something but anyone of you guys with type s that has some kind of short ram do you experience the same thing?
This might help you. I had a short ram and it did not make that huming noise. The stock box without resornator did not make the huming noise. Then I upgrade to a type S 6-speed tubing wich did not have the JL looking thing and it started to make that huming noise. I haven't figure out what it is, but I haven't spend much time doing that. My guess is that OEM pipe(tubing) is making the huming somehow, since the short ram pipe didn't do it, well it made a different noise. Hope it help.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

Jon,
Based on the conversations and after looking at your pictures, here's what I suggest. Take out the plastic bottom half of the factor filter/ resonator half. Test it with all those plastics removed.

I would bet that you're getting a hum from the plastic touching your intake filter. Engine vibration is vibrating through your intake, and since the intake is (or appears from the pix to be) touching the plastic resonator half it is producing the hum.

Or, while your car is idling, use your hand to pull up on the filter to ensure it isn't touching. Does the hum go away?

If not, definitely remove the plastic, it may be loosly rubbing another part of the engine bay.

Let us know.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Jon,
Based on the conversations and after looking at your pictures, here's what I suggest. Take out the plastic bottom half of the factor filter/ resonator half. Test it with all those plastics removed.

I would bet that you're getting a hum from the plastic touching your intake filter. Engine vibration is vibrating through your intake, and since the intake is (or appears from the pix to be) touching the plastic resonator half it is producing the hum.

Or, while your car is idling, use your hand to pull up on the filter to ensure it isn't touching. Does the hum go away?

If not, definitely remove the plastic, it may be loosly rubbing another part of the engine bay.

Let us know.
first of all i like to thank you guys for your great response.....yesi tried to move the resonance box and yet it still is giving me hummms, and at first i thought it was the ripply part of the stock tubing that is making a whilstling effect but then i bunched the stock tube back and it was still making a humming sound...then question i had is i have seen time where the engine simply cuts the hummm off by itself but it alway returns....does anyone know what i can do to stop it?.....thanks
Old 06-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

without being right there, I guess I'm out of suggestions for now. if you want to hook up some time, I can try to help you troubleshoot. I'm in SD, but occassionally roll up to OC.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

james
Old 06-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

without being right there, I guess I'm out of suggestions for now. if you want to hook up some time, I can try to help you troubleshoot. I'm in SD, but occassionally roll up to OC.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

james
great thats alot let me know when you roll up to oc....there is a meet on the 22nd if you can come ......alright take it easy lates

JON LERD