Insurance and used aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance and used aftermarket parts

Hey, so say hypothetically I buy some aftermarket parts used from someone, like the CT Ice box or something. If you use paypal, you will have an invoice correct? Now say you get get into a head on crash and your ice box is screwed. Insurance covers your car repair minus deductible. The question is, can you go to insurance and make claims on your aftermarket parts if you got them used and paid thru paypal?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:39 AM
booooo

depends on ur policy, but if u supply an invoice your in the clear.

a cousin of mine got his car stolen and they stole his aftermarket tvs and even his aftermarket HIDs (Accord) he showed his inssurance company the invoices and got his money back..
Old 09-29-2003, 09:10 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I will tell you in Florida, insurance carriers will not pay for a/m mechanical type parts. Meaning, you get say $15,000 for your totalled car. They aren't going to give you another $150 because you simply put an aftermarket part on the car. That being said, they will let you have that aftermarket part off of the totalled car if you give them the stock part that replaces the void, or will let you have it and subtract some minor value from your total loss settlement.
Now, if you have a minor collision and damage an aftermarket part, your policy language will dictate whether or not they owe you for the replacement of it or the stock part. Good news is, most stock parts cost far more than the aftermarket part that replaces them so there is usually no worry here. This second paragraph covers both mechanical and non-mechanical aftermarket parts (including stereos, wheels, etc)...
Old 09-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Rock Star

depends same if your car gets stollen and they strip out all of ur aftermarket accessories if you can provide recipts for the things that were taken their is a chance but insur companies are a bit weiry because alot of times peeps run up the prices like say the radio is stollen and its cost 300 well they will then go to where they bought it and if they know someone they will get a recipt with the jacked up price....my advise it suxx but just hope they pay for your car its known that aftermarket stuff isn't to a dealer or insurance company this is seen when u go to sell or trade ur car to a dealership wont really give u much for a market stuff....but its worth a try to see if they pay...good luck peace
Old 09-29-2003, 09:47 AM
lover and fighter

Theft is the same as minor collision in my example. It is going to depend on the language of your policy for direct replacement of the aftermarket part, but again. most mechanical a/m parts are usually cheaper than stock...
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Instructor

You need to fight it out with insurance companies. Their first response 99% of the time is to not pay, because it saves them money on the 50% of the people that wont pursue it any further. So IMO, we pay ridiculous premiums to insure our cars based on their badging, Hondas place on the stolen cars lists, and where we live. Make them pay as long as you have pics and maybe receipts for what you have done to your car. If my TVs get swiped, they can pay for it. The 6K i've "given" them in the past 2 years can be used to pay for my $400 tv IMO.

My 0.02$

I hate insurance companies...
Old 09-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Racer

R10Apple pretty much explained it all but but keep in mind you are paying premium for an Acura 3.2TLS. if YOU choose to add a $5000 stereo/TV/DVD/supercharger or whatever else you add you aren't paying additional preiums on it and it may not be covered.. If you are paying premiums on a 260hp car and you have modified it so now its 360hp, I don't really see how the insurance sompany can be responsible for the modifications unless you declare all of the aftermarket eqipment to the insurance company and pay additional premium for it, then it should be covered for the full amount less any depreciation. It really all depends on the state and insurance company
Old 09-29-2003, 11:50 AM
lover and fighter

You need to fight it out with insurance companies. Their first response 99% of the time is to not pay, because it saves them money on the 50% of the people that wont pursue it any further.
'tard. This is simply not true. Insurance companies "save" money because they pay what is OWED pursuant to the CONTRACT of insurance, not what is often CLAIMED. This isn't a personal injury claim we are talking about (where claim values are subjective in nature), we are talking about a contract for coverage for your vehicle pursuant to whatever coverage you may, or may not have, purchased. Read your policy. Many of the newer policies disclaim coverage for aftermarket equipment or equipment that is not scheduled.

You can buy virtually any insurance product to fit your needs, and it is the smart consumer that 1, knows their own needs and 2, finds the product associated with their own want of risk.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:56 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

My insurance company (21st century) automatically covers 1,000 worth of additional equipment of the vehicle. I bought extra coverage up to 4,000 additional to cover at least some of my mods. Check your insurance policy for additional special equipment coverage.