Installing 12"x2 Subs! No sound!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing 12"x2 Subs! No sound!

I followed these directions

Tapping Wire Harness for Remote and signal

Remove rear seat for access to stock amp. Unplug wiring harness to stock amp. Remove stock amp (optional) and stock sub(best practice) - leave wiring harnesses in place. The wiring harness that you unplugged from your stock amp contains an orange wire - this is your remote power turn-on for your new amp, so splice into it and extend it to your new amp. Run new fused power cable from battery to your new amp. Ground new amp to body. Inside the same wiring harness to your stock amp there is a twisted pair wrapped in a puke brown shield, splice into the two wires inside the brown shield with some 22 gauge twisted pair(long enough to reach your new amp) and solder (1) RCA connector to the other end. (Polarity doesn't matter) This RCA is your mono input to your new amp. Connect new amp to new sub and have fun.

I do not get any response from my subs. I spliced into the puke brown shield and connected a RCA to both the blue and orange wire. Am i supposed to connect 1 RCA to the orange and 1 RCA to the blue? Polarity matters?
If anyone knows how to fix this problem its much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
You could have just got a PAC adapter and connected it to the sub leads. Thats what I did when I first got my TL.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Advanced

OK i got everything up an running!! But i have no clue on what to set the amp dials to. I have a MTX600XD and it has a Bass Booster, LPH, GAIN, ETC. What is the normal settings for a Dual 12" box that requires 400 watts?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Bass booster on Zero, LPH on 80 hz, Gain not more than 1/2 way up.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^i agree.

remember gain=volume of the settings, boost = bass level.

you can use the bass boost a little if you want to turn the bass down on the HU to keep the door speakers free of distortion. the more "boost" the muddier the bass with get. less=tight response.
i reccomend that you first adjust the hu so that your door speakers are clear at the max levels you would listen to. then use the amp to start from zero and match it up gradually so its balanced at high vol low vol and your max pref. then you wil know that you would be safe if you want to bump your fav song.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

gain is not volume, gain is the abilty to match of the signal and reproduce with the amp. For instance I use to have a alpine 4 volt my gain was up 1/2 way. Now my eclipse is 8 volts and 16 volts balanced. My gains at less than a quarter way up.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

ok, so vaguely its a level control. like a volume. but its to match the output level/volume of the radio pre amp outs in relation to the door speakers. it increases and decreases the signal level with out boosting/cutting an specific freq range, similar to a volume control. your right, it is a gain, to increase the sensitivity of the input to match up.

im not trying to be an ass. but i was just trying to make it simple concepts for sake of explanation.

btw, im an electrical engineer with a background in amp/mosfet design.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JMAL
ok, so vaguely its a level control. like a volume. but its to match the output level/volume of the radio pre amp outs in relation to the door speakers. it increases and decreases the signal level with out boosting/cutting an specific freq range, similar to a volume control. your right, it is a gain, to increase the sensitivity of the input to match up.

im not trying to be an ass. but i was just trying to make it simple concepts for sake of explanation.

btw, im an electrical engineer with a background in amp/mosfet design.
Well I Was being a Ass.....bitch

Jk man. Electric engineer, thas some tough shit, my buddy is doing that and I seen his homework and it make me cry.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

it sucked. but the degree is powerful. youll need it to pay off the damn loans!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JMAL
it sucked. but the degree is powerful. youll need it to pay off the damn loans!

Yea it is, he got a 60k offer here in tampa and thats pretty damn good for Florida. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dnd2984
Bass booster on Zero, LPH on 80 hz, Gain not more than 1/2 way up.
So this should work for my 12"s? Is there any exact thing that i could tune them to so it fits my subs perfectly? BTW do you guys have the BOSE EQ-BASS set to 0 or negative? It seems when i turn up the EQ Bass my subs get louder or is that just the door speakers ?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kinghost1
So this should work for my 12"s? Is there any exact thing that i could tune them to so it fits my subs perfectly? BTW do you guys have the BOSE EQ-BASS set to 0 or negative? It seems when i turn up the EQ Bass my subs get louder or is that just the door speakers ?

keep the setting on deck between 0 and 3max any more and you introduce distortion into the signal.

so to start:
all amp settings at 0 or all the way neg.
tune the radio with interior speakers so it can handle what you plan on throwing at it. Treble +6 bass +1 recommended.
set the amp to 80hz low pass LPF, bass boost at at most a 1/4 up for now, gain 0
now at moderate volume keep adjusting the gain till it fill in the bass at a balanced level
turn the volume down make sure the bass is balanced at tthat volume and tweak amp as needed
turn it to where you think you may max listen to and see how it sounds there and adjust as needed. it may not be perfect at all levels but you want it to be best where you are going to normally be.

remember you can adjust the bass on the radio on the fly if you need a little more or less here and there. also dont go to crazy on the bass boost on the amp, it will really make it sloppy. but if the initial response is flat, go up in increments.

good luck
Old 06-09-2007, 08:08 AM
02' 3.2TL-s /w NAVI

Originally Posted by kinghost1
OK i got everything up an running!! But i have no clue on what to set the amp dials to. I have a MTX600XD and it has a Bass Booster, LPH, GAIN, ETC. What is the normal settings for a Dual 12" box that requires 400 watts?
mind telling us how you fixed it? just in case we need help?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Baisically there was another thread out there saying that i could use the existing input cable for the factory BOSE sub. I tried to tap into the factory connector, but i never got any sound.
So in the end i tapped into the brown sheath(previously connected to the factory amp) and connected positive to blue and negative to orange. It worked!
BTW----I used only ONE RCA cable to connect the two wires in the brown sheath. So only one RCA is connected to the LEFT input channel on my amp.