Install, New K&M Air Filter 2003 TL Type S Question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Install, New K&M Air Filter 2003 TL Type S Question???

Hi, Guy's

I just installed my new K&M Air Filter today, here is my question on the stock Acura filter there is a marking on the top side marked Up.

On the New K&M Air Filter there is no mark on what side is up, a read the paper work that came with this filter and it said, nothing about what side goes up.

Well, I cleaned the Air Box top and Bottom real well, and then I installed the new K&M Air Filter in this fashion with the Flat Part on Top, and the little offset in the bottom, I hope this is the correct way???

Please someone who has installed one of these K&M Air Filters in there 2000-2003 TL Type S please say I did this install correctly.

I was a little bit of a pain in the ass to re-clip the two little plastic tabs that are located on the other side spent like 30mins to get both in before I screwed down the two screws that are located on the other side...

Thanks Alot, again Guy's
Explorer

2003 TL Type S
Toronto, Canada
Old 04-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you installed it correctly. Have you noticed any difference in terms of power? I was planning to get the K&N, but opted for the Comptech instead since Comptech makes excellent products for our cars. Haven't really noticed any difference in power, maybe slightly better gas mileage? Btw, I have a 2003 TL-P.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:33 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More than likely your gonna see a little improvement in MPG and MAYBE a little power too. I've been using a K&N drop-in in my 94' Talon ES since I bought the car new with about 85k on the clock. Between the filter, porting the stock exhaust manifold and a Borla cat-back it gets a 45% increase in mileage over what the window sticker said. Yes, upwards of 38-40mpg (hwy) or the stock 27mpg (hwy)!! The cruise control was set take out the human element of inconsistant speeds while cruising the highway.

I'm not saying EVERYBODY will get this kind of result but it damn feels good to laugh at gas pumps.

If anything it's good to know you don't have to service the filter nearly as often as a stock paper one. With paper filter runnin' $15 for the Talon and the K&N only runnin' $35 it was very easy to pick a winner between them.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:16 PM
clc
Instructor

I had problems installing the KN filter replacement too....

I have a 2002 TLS. For me, in order to get the two clips into the two "holes" on engine side, I had to put the filter in with the smaller part on the top and the flat part on the bottom.

At first I did it like you, it seemed to fit better in the air box with the smaller part facing down, but I couldn't get the air box cover to close right.

I am wondering if the air flows the same way on both sides of the filter. Otherwise, I'm in big trouble for putting the filter the wrong way, although I haven't seen any problems with accleration of the car.:wow:

Thanks in advance.

G
Old 04-19-2003, 12:56 PM
USMC Butterbars

you cannot put the filter in the wrong way. If you look on the outer edges of hte filter, u will notice some hooks for screws to go thru. These will align with the screws that tighten the air box closed. when installing the filter use common sense and look at the design and location of the stock screws. you will notice that they are not symmetrical, meanin that the left side does not have the screws in the same location on the right side. if you look at the air box, u will know what i mean. the air filter will have the same setup. so just line up the air filter to match the screw locations. I am assumin the air box for the type-s is similar to that of the tl-p.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Install, New K&M Air Filter 2003 TL Type S Question???

Hi Again, Guy's

I still feel that I didnt get a 100% answer about this matter, at the mean time I took some time and made some prints to show you guy's what information that I am seeking.

Please look below!

++++______________++++ <------- K&N Air Filter, Air Element.

the above is how I have this new K&M Air Filter set up, with the Air Filter Element almost flush ontop.

++++XXXXXXXXXXXXXX++++ <---------K&N Air Filter, Air Element.

the above is how I have the thick boxed in Air Filter Element down in the Air Box the thick Air Filter Element Down.

I hope you, all undertstand a little clearer.

Thanks Again, Guys I just dont wanna screw up, my Engine or Emision System, and thats why I am seeking your help, Big Time.

Thank you , All who responded to my Question.

For all Canadian Acura owner's, you can get brand new K&N Performance Air filters for a good price at, Performance Improvments High Performance Store's that are located in Toronto.

My Best Regards
Explorer

Toronto, Canada
Old 04-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Instructor

You installed it correctly. I have a K&N air filter in my 2000 Accord and the flat part is on top while the little offset is in the bottom. Been driving with this setup for 3 years with no problems whatsoever. Now go enjoy your new TL-S and stop worrying...
Old 04-21-2003, 11:14 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I installed the Comptech filter last week and also was confused about which side was "up" and "down." Don't know about the K&N filter, but you can hear a vaccum-type noise when the car is running with the Comptech, and it also goes "psssssst" when you shut the car off. I hope these noises aren't because I installed it incorrectly!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro

I installed one in my 03 TLs, about 2 months ago. The only change seems to be, Smoother accelleration, at all speeds! Mine cost 40.$ online, with free shipping.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Instructor

2k2SilverTL-S: I installed the Comptech filter last week and also was confused about which side was "up" and "down." Don't know about the K&N filter, but you can hear a vaccum-type noise when the car is running with the Comptech, and it also goes "psssssst" when you shut the car off. I hope these noises aren't because I installed it incorrectly!!!
As stated in the instructions that came along with the Comptech air filter, yellow side up (facing towards you) and red side facing down. Funny how I don't hear the vacumm-type noise. Mines sounds like the stock air filter. I really hate unscrewing the four bolts on the air box (TL-P) because it's so time-consuming. I like my 2000 Accord (I4) better, I just gotta unsnap 4 clips...
Old 04-22-2003, 02:19 PM
2002 TL Type S

Acura dealer lied to me when I bought my TL-S. I told him I was going to immediately throw in a K&N filter and he said it already had one. I asked what he meant and he said it was as good as a K&N. A month ago, I bought a K&N and low and behold, the filter in my TL-S was a block of wood..not really, just resembled it. Shoulda had my BS detector turned on at the dealership.

Anyway, the air box was a pain in the ass to get back on. And why did they put screws to hold it down? Why not something easy like clips? I dropped the K&N into the bottom tray with the flat side up: ====______________==== and fought like a b!tch to get the top back on the box.

The result is very little difference at low speeds, but the top end - say 70+ with the pedal floored, I can tell a difference.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Racer

waht is the cheapest comptech or k&N air filter u guys have bought and which site?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Advanced

A quick addendum to the install question - i noticed that the bastards who replaced my air filter in my last checkup broke the clips. So, I only have the screws. I installed the K&N replacement filter today. When I start the engine, I hear a noise (kinda like the vacuum noise). It's kinda loud; is this NORMAL? When I push down on the air filter box, the sound quiets down. Any suggestions to keep this sound to a minimum? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Instructor

I installed a K&N on my 03 TL-S last week with the flat side up. I landed up breaking one of the clips - nothing a little super glue couldn't fix.

Damn Japanese engineers. I had a "90 Nissan Pathfinder with the V6. I would love to get a hold of the engineering that designed its oil filter placement. "So, show me how to remove the filter without dumping used oil on the starter and transfer case."

At least the oil/filter change on the TLs are a piece of cake.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Instructor

its K & N , not K & M
Old 08-28-2003, 05:56 AM
New Life

I installed mine about a month ago and the gas savings are the same but the car is more responsive and feels like I got a few hp out of it. Yes, the installation you did was correct, it is a pain to get those clips on. I will get the ice box here soon for extra hp to start. I was a little disappointed because on my '96 Maxima I have a more drastic change when I put the K&N but I think is more like the TL-S have better air flow so you really have to put something that gives you more free flow than the OEM.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Instructor

ordered my comptech filter from dealership for 49 bucks. now if it would just get here!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro

Explorer where did u get your filter? from a store or online? good prices online from american-based sites, but i'm afraid duty may be tacked on making it as expensive as in the stores here. not having much luck finding canadian-based auto parts sites selling k&n.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:11 AM
Like a mideget on a moped

why didnt you guys go with a cold air intake? (i just want to know why, not telling you what to do or anything.) in other words what were your guys reason to not get an cai?
Old 08-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Instructor

I am actually considering a cai down the road but I needed a new filter right now and am curious what the difference will be as well. Also, Im concerned about the noise factor. I havent heard how much louder the cai is and didnt want to jump into it without hearing it first. I've been checkin out the ice box too!!