Instaling Rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instaling Rotors??

I just got my new slotted/Drilled Rotors and they look great. I am now waitinh on some new pads. Should I get the steal brake lines? Does it make a big difference in braking? Also I am going to install them myself, will I need any other brake tools besides an impact driver?

Thanks for the help. I will post before and after pictures. It will be chrome type-s wheels with painted calipers and cross/slotted rotors. It should make a big difference in the look of the wheels!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Regarding tools; no. Just an impact screw driver, metric sockets and a breaker bar.
Make sure you use some sort of anti-squeal compound on the pad backs where appropriate.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Instructor

make sure that you break in your rotor carefully with your old pads... that will actually give you the max. life of the rotors... then after you break in the rotor and been driven EASY on brakes (no panic stop, no dragging, no holding brakes after braking) for over 350-500 miles, you may put your new pads in then you can do the bed-in for the new pads without worrying "warpping" the new rotor.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
my cross drilled rotors wanted me to brake them in by repeated hard stopping from 60 mph, then driving around for a while with no stopping to let them cool. i would check with the manufacturer to see what they recomend. as far as steel brake lines go thye do help, most of it is in the brake pedal feel
Old 07-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Instaling Rotors??

Originally posted by kevin cody
I just got my new slotted/Drilled Rotors and they look great. I am now waitinh on some new pads. Should I get the steal brake lines? Does it make a big difference in braking? Also I am going to install them myself, will I need any other brake tools besides an impact driver?

Thanks for the help. I will post before and after pictures. It will be chrome type-s wheels with painted calipers and cross/slotted rotors. It should make a big difference in the look of the wheels!
The rotors are very easy to installed. For less hastle, you should change both the rotors and the pads at the same time. You don't need to take the entire caliper off to take the pads out, but you do to for the rotors. If you are only installing pads what you do is take out the 2 bolts that are attached not to the actual caliper, but the other caliper part that is conected to the hub(there is a rubber). This should be easily done with only a 17" socket or wrench. For installing rotors you will need to take out 2 bolts behing the caliper conected to the hub, the caliper will be completly off. This should also be done with a 17" socket or wrench. Then take the 2 cross-tip screws to remove the rotor, be careful this screws could sometime be a real pain. Swap rotors and put every back together. Something i didn't mention, you should take the wheels out before anything else is done.

BTW: the 17" could be a 14" can't remember I haven't worked on my car in a long time.

As for the brake lines, well that is a whole different story. I would recomend not doing it together. Install your pads and rotors, do the first drive which should be: Drive until you reach 20 mph, apply brakes without coming to a stop and repeat a few times, I would say 5. Then drive around for a little bit with out applying the brakes and then come to a complete stop at your garage or where you are leaving the car and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. Back to the brake lines, you will need more tools and some extra help, because you are going to need to bleed the brakes, no matter how you do it or see it, you have to bleed the brakes. This process is not the easiest specially for someone that hasn't done it before, so I would recomend doing it with some one that knows. Not hard to change the lines, but you are going to get some fluid on your hands. I would recomend flushing all the old fluid and putting new.

Tip: Do NOT press the brakes while any of the 4 calipers is off the rotor.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Racer

Thanks a lot for the help. Someone had said leave the old pads for up to 500 miles, I am not doing that. I am getting ceramic pads all around . I am going to change pads and rotors at once. I do not think this should be to hard. I am getting an impact driver today and a freind to help, he is good with cars.. I will wait on the brake lines for now, seems like a harder job. Any brake pad recomendations????
Old 07-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Banned

what type of rotors and bakes did you buy?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Racer

I bought stock size slotted/drilled rotors which are not a bad size for $292.00 with shipping from irotor off ebay. The rotors look great, they are clean and will not rust. I think they are same as brebmo only they are not the big brakes. I also just ordered 4 new ceramic pads for the TL which cost about $100.00. I am going to get the caliper paint enamel which cost around $50 but I think it is mush better they heat resistant spray paint. It looks to be a more rubbery substance and looks easier to clean. It should look good for a fraction of the brembo price. About a total of $500 for a whole new brake setup. I only did this because I think the rotors are warped and it is a wast to get Acura rotors for about the same price, and these should last a lot longer!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro

I read some where that the ceramic pads wear out your rotors faster.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm#Compare
Old 07-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Instructor

I also ordered the cross drilled/slotted rotors from iRotors on Ebay, as well as the Axxis ceramic brake pads from KBass(?). They were installed this past Wednesday and look and feel great. I think you will be very satisfied with the setup. As for ceramic brake pads wearing out the rotors faster, I have no idea about that. It doesn't really matter to me though, since my car already has over 50,000 miles on it.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Racer

Did you install yourself? If not how much did it cost you to have the rotors put on!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Retired MOD

I could get you 2 sets of high quality rotors, anyway you want cross drilled/slotted or anyway. $190 shipped. PM me.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Racer

Thanks but I already bought them. I just have to install them, I am waiting on the pads to come in!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Super Troll

I bought stock size slotted/drilled rotors which are not a bad size for $292.00 with shipping from irotor off ebay.
You missed out on last months deal dude. If you bought from their site last month you could have gotten free shipping and Zinc plating for only 259... I bought 2 sets last month but dotn have time to install it.. will be installing it in 2 weeks with typesdragon..

So what do you think them?....
Old 07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Racer

O well too late now, I think they look hot. I cant wait to get them on the car. I am waiting on some Axxis pads right now. I got Axxis Delux Plus pads, they actually just came out with a pair for the rear brakes. Where are you installing Jersey??? if so give me a call 201-954-3640
Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Super Troll

O well too late now, I think they look hot. I cant wait to get them on the car. I am waiting on some Axxis pads right now. I got Axxis Delux Plus pads, they actually just came out with a pair for the rear brakes. Where are you installing Jersey??? if so give me a call 201-954-3640
as a matter of fact we are installing it in jersey.. Typesdragon lives in jersey.. so i got to go to his place and do it...