I'm screwed I think. Got caught doing 83 in a 50

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm screwed I think. Got caught doing 83 in a 50

Last night, coming home on the Belt Parkway from Brooklyn to Queens I got nailed doing 83 in a 50. The cop was really nasty too. I gave him a PBA leutenant card that I got from a friends brother in law that's a cop and he laughed at it saying it wasn't signed. I'm so annoyed. I know I was in the wrong, but it's still frustrating. Anyone have any reccomendations? I'm going to try to get a lawyer to help me out, can anyone reccomend a good one? Thanks in advance.

Donny
Old 10-23-2002, 10:23 AM
Racer

id recommend my lawyer
Martin A Kron.... he was a former NYC Traffic Judge
Now he's a Traffic Lawyer..
I'll try to find his number.....
Old 10-23-2002, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Keep me updated. Hop you get off the hook. Good Luck
Old 10-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I got nailed doing 65 in a 40 on Monday night myself... however, the cop was pretty cool and told me to plead not guilty and he'll work with me in court. Good luck

BTW, Snapple... your PM box is full so I couldn't reply.. clean it out and I'll PM you back!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Banned

whats a PBA leutenant card?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Racer

I'm sorry to hear that man, but it's a lot better than getting nailed doing 110 in 50.

To make the long story short, I had to pay $350.00 fine and my license got suspended for 6 months.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Since it happened in NYC you ARE screwed. Lawyer is a good idea but most probably will not help much. If you have no points on you license you are in no immediate danger if you have more that 3 points - you are in trouble. If the lawyer tells you that there is something wrong with the ticket or the cop made some kind of mistake or violation then you may have a chance in court. Otherwise depending on your family situation you may want to move to NJ for the next 1.5 years. That’s what I had to do in 1997 when I've got 8 points for 85 mph on the Belt Parkway. If you get more than 11 points on your license you loose the right to drive in NYS but you can still enjoy your car in others states. BTW you need to get other state license before your NYS license is suspended. So plea not guilty and delay the court day as much as you can.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey juniorbean I cleared out my box. Mail away
Old 10-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Race Director

Old 10-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by str8acura
It's a card in credit card size and issue by law enforcement officers. (Local police, state tropper, prosecutor... etc.) Usually you should be able to walk away from almost any traffic violations with it. The card can only save you once and only can be use at the state where it issued from. (Say.. if it issued by a NY police officer, the card only works in State of NY.) Moreover, the card only good for a year.

I used to worked for Atlantic County Prosecutor Office in NJ. One of the prosecutor used to issue me the PBA cards.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Race Director

Who gets these cards? Random people or just friends? Does the cop take the card for his records when your stopped? Or does he let you keep it and just marks it to say its been used.. LOL Feels like we got Speeding Coupons NOWADAYS Just go to your sunday paper they should have NYC Market Coupons For Tickets lol.. 10% off.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were you really going 83 in a 50, if so accept what happens. You could have done more before he wrote you up. Take the NYS defensive driving class, it only costs about $40 and wipes out some of the points, and most importantly you get a 10% ins discount for 3 years. A lawyer will cost you more than it is worth especially if the cop has you dead to rights going 83.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kchao2000

It's a card in credit card size and issue by law enforcement officers. (Local police, state tropper, prosecutor... etc.) Usually you should be able to walk away from almost any traffic violations with it. The card can only save you once and only can be use at the state where it issued from. (Say.. if it issued by a NY police officer, the card only works in State of NY.) Moreover, the card only good for a year.

I used to worked for Atlantic County Prosecutor Office in NJ. One of the prosecutor used to issue me the PBA cards.

Seriously! how do i get my hands on one of these cards. Looks like i can use a couple.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

PBA cards are not to be abused and its at the officers discrepancy weather or not to show you a courtesy ..... second NYPD PBA cards are suppose to be signed by the issuing officer if the card does not have his personal shield number on them ..... third outside of the city your lucky if they show the card some respect......its only recently that ive found outside of nyc law enforcement to show some leniency and respect for the card because of 9/11.

I suggest that you contact who ever gave you the card and have them contact the officer in person. They can probably work something out unless the guy is a real 8====> ...... then good luck in court and i have some suggestions to help with the insurance company and points on your license.

i got bagged doin a 101 on the whitestone expy so i have experience in dealing with this matter email me AcuraNsxPilot@aol.com
Old 10-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey man, I got caught doing 87 in 50, except it wasn't me....cop clocked the other car who sped away and by the time the cop got to me he decided to pull me over. Anyway, I got a lawyer. The violation happened in June. We've been pushing the date back, my court date is in the end of November. The lawyer is $400 and he's out in Long Island. I don't know what else he can do but these Staten Island cops especially in the 123 Precinct are all as$holes. I think you are allowed to push back the court date twice (and the lawyer did it). The cop pushed it back like 3 times already, hence the Nov. date.

Check your PM for the lawyer contact and give him a call to see if he'll take your case (he should because some of the lawyers in Brooklyn didn't even want to talk to me...87 in 50). Where on the Belt was this (so I don't get caught )?

Hey titanxboss was this judge in Staten Island? How much he charges?
Old 10-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Alexxx,

A friend of mine had a similar situation, it becomes your word against the cop and guess who the court will believe. Second what is the lawyer promising that he is going to do for you ? $400 is a couple of phone calls, and a few letters to court, it will add up to a lot more if he actually has to go with you to court. I know it stinks especially if you were not speeding, but it may be costing you a ton of money and you will still be found guilty. If you do not already have points on your license the least expensive route may be to plead guilty and end it. The lawyer fees could add up to a grand or more. You can get rid of some of the points (3) by taking a $40 defensive driving class.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:48 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Anyone know a good lawyer that does Southern Jersey (Burlington County)? I got an 'unsafe lane change' ticket about 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out if its worth it to pay the lawyer or to suck it up and pay the $133 fine and take 2 points on my license ... I'm from VA (was on the way home to my parent's house) so its not that simple for me to show up in court myself.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

When I signed the contract with the lawyer there was nothing about any fees...although I do know that this is how some people get f*cked over by their lawyers. My insurance CANNOT find out about this otherwise I'll be getting the shaft.

On another note, I don't know if the insurance will find out or not. Some people tell me they won't, others say the company will find out. My families insurance broker is a pretty cool guy, if I'm found guilty then I will ask for his advice on what to do next.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Insurance companies seldom if ever check out their own insured. If you switch companies then the new company will definately check you out. If you stay put you stand an excellant chance of them not finding out.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

I got caught speeding on Ocean Pkwy, violation got dismissed because cop couldn't prove radar gun was calibrated right. I was lucky, evulate your situation, if you are 100% sure your wrong, plead guilty and take the defensive driver course and get rid of the points, otherwise try and fight it. btw i went to court without a lawyer, just my 2 cents
Old 10-24-2002, 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: I'm screwed I think. Got caught doing 83 in a 50

Originally posted by hatzq68
Last night, coming home on the Belt Parkway from Brooklyn to Queens I got nailed doing 83 in a 50. The cop was really nasty too. I gave him a PBA leutenant card that I got from a friends brother in law that's a cop and he laughed at it saying it wasn't signed. I'm so annoyed. I know I was in the wrong, but it's still frustrating. Anyone have any reccomendations? I'm going to try to get a lawyer to help me out, can anyone reccomend a good one? Thanks in advance.

Donny
Where on the Belt? About a year ago there weren't any cops on the Belt at night but there are so many recently. I used to fly on the Belt at night but these days I just drive at ~60-65. I think its because of 9/11 & the shopping mall they just built. The sneaky little pigs are starting to hide in the bushes these days. Was it a black unmarked crown vic? If it was the heavy set black dude (forgot his name), good luck. He's Highway Patrol. Those guys usually won't extend any courtesy. Even with a PBA card. I have a few friends on the force but he would not extend any courtesy to my cousin.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:59 AM
Advanced

It was right by the riding academy, in Canarsie. It was an unmarked tan Crown Vic and the guy was a thin black guy. The ticket says 63rd Pct. I don't know if he was highway patrol or not. His name is PO Bailey. He was pretty nasty to me. I'm hoping the cop that gave me the PBA card to begin with can somehow get me out of it. We'll see what kind of leverage he actually has.

Donny
Old 10-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2004TL
Who gets these cards? Random people or just friends? Does the cop take the card for his records when your stopped? Or does he let you keep it and just marks it to say its been used.. LOL Feels like we got Speeding Coupons NOWADAYS Just go to your sunday paper they should have NYC Market Coupons For Tickets lol.. 10% off.
The cop takes it away after you use it.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

so you can only get these cards in ny? and they are only good mainly for use in NY? this is crazy i really want one now....
Old 10-25-2002, 07:33 PM
Banned

i got stopped doing 100 on a 55. i got no points, i never had a ticket before. this happened in WESTCHESTER, NY
i got court at valhalla. i am waiting for the trial date now.

i cant afford a lawyer. wut you think will happen?

the car is not under my name thou
Old 10-26-2002, 09:57 AM

Nick you better get a lawyer. They could suspend your license. From 100 on..... they could suspend your license. I passed a state trooper the other day on the NJ Parkway going about 110. He was sandwich in between 2 vans so I didnt see him. He pulled me over. I showed him 2 FOP cards and he gave them back to me. I also have a FOP Shield. That is what got me off the hook. He gave me a OBSTRUCTION OF VIEW for my radar detector being on my front windshield and he gave me a WARNING FOR UNSAFE DRIVING. So I got off because of the shield. That was the best $100 I had ever spent.

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Old 10-26-2002, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Usually these PBA cards don't work. The only way you can get off the hook is if you know someone who's big...and by that I mean someone who is way up there. My old branch manager's son works for the DA in Staten Island and is very popular around the North Shore, but the cop was all the way down in the 123 Pct, South Shore. He couldn't help me out because he didn't know the cop.

According to my old compliance mgr. He said he got off the hook like that... someone called the captain of the cop who issued him the ticket and the ticket was literally thrown in the garbage the same day (before they sent it upstate to Albany).

Oh and Nick, better get a lawyer or you can kiss your license goodbye
Old 10-26-2002, 09:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
PBA cards are not to be abused and its at the officers discrepancy weather or not to show you a courtesy ..... second NYPD PBA cards are suppose to be signed by the issuing officer if the card does not have his personal shield number on them ..... third outside of the city your lucky if they show the card some respect......its only recently that ive found outside of nyc law enforcement to show some leniency and respect for the card because of 9/11.
couldn't have said it better myself. If someone in your family is a cop then you will most likely have a family badge which is 10x better than a signed PBA card
Old 10-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Vin
Advanced

My friend ended up paying near $400 for no points for 80 in a 50.

It would have been 4 points.

Best of luck to you man. Drive slower next time. Be safe.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Racer

can we get another license in another state? Will the points go with us?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
In order to get a license in another state (e.g. NJ) you need to have a valid NJ address. I used my girl friend's address. You need a phone bill or something like that to prove the address. You points will go with you but for NJ any violation in NY is a 2-pointer unless it's DWI or other drunk-driving tickets. But be aware that if your NYS license is suspended/revoked you cannot apply for a license in another state. If you apply before your NYS license is suspended, you will get NJ license but you will still lose your driving privilege in NYS. In other words you can drive in any state except NYS. BTW I am familiar with NJ laws. Florida or Texas can be very different and should be more forgiving.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

I got pulled over doing 97 in a 65 last month....In Atlanta...Marietta area...Anyways my court date is in March...What should I do...I havent had any tickets for about 4-5 years...should be off my record....Should I get a lawyer? If not, what should I plea? Guilty, no-contest? What is No-contest anyways?...I would go to driving school if I could to get the pionts off...I wish I did not have to go to court...What should I tell the judge?....Help..Thanks for any advise....P
Old 01-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Advanced

I am in the law enforcement field and what you could bring to the table is waiver of the points and pay the court cost and the traffic fine. Overall i think that you will be fine if the cop isnt a a$$o. You really didnt need an attorney for this matter, if your friend is a LT. of police.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SpoonPower78
I'm sorry to hear that man, but it's a lot better than getting nailed doing 110 in 50.

To make the long story short, I had to pay $350.00 fine and my license got suspended for 6 months.

83 in a 50 is a little excessive if you ask me, borderline at best on a quiet open freeway..... But 110?!? You can flame me for this one, but what is the point in going 110??? What purpose does that serve? 83 is too fast, 110 is nuts. $350 and a suspended license is a little light if you ask me. Insurance must be a killer now.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

110 is not too fast for TL-S

Speaking of suspended licences, I was in a traffic court in Yonkers once and saw a guy who had been caught doing 80 in 40 - he got his license taken away.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by VTEC Animal

83 in a 50 is a little excessive if you ask me, borderline at best on a quiet open freeway..... But 110?!? You can flame me for this one, but what is the point in going 110??? What purpose does that serve? 83 is too fast, 110 is nuts. $350 and a suspended license is a little light if you ask me. Insurance must be a killer now.
I have been 140 in mine... no cops though...thankfully..
Old 01-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got my license taken away for 2 months at 87 in 50 and on top of that 8 points and a $380 fine. I'm appealing because why did they give me points and take away my license...oh and I'm innocent. Staten Island 123 cops are scum of the universe just like the judges.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

pba cards do not get taken away after one use..its not a free movie ticket ,,its a ticket that says this guys my pal..they dont take anything
Old 11-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

If you're not guilty, getting those tickets really stinks. If you were going that fast, THANK YOU to the cops and I hope they catch more like that. 35 mph over the speed limit? C'mon, you deserve everything you get. Just because you have a car that can go that fast doesn't mean you can throw everybody elses right to a safe freeway out the window. If you're alone on the highway and you get killed driving like that, you got what you asked for. If you kill somebody elses wife, children, grandparent because you're an idiot, there's no excuse for that. Just because I have a lot of guns, that doesn't give me the right to go out and shoot everything in sight because that's what they're capable of doing. There's a reason people like you lose their driving priviledges when they get so many points on their license--it's because your a DANGER TO SOCIETY! I pray the police continue to do a great job protecting us.

Cheers!
Old 11-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Banned

will someone PLEASE throw this guy out or something

Quick Reply: I'm screwed I think. Got caught doing 83 in a 50