If you're gonna smoke in your ride...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb If you're gonna smoke in your ride...

A guy on the CL board asked if anyone smoked in their cars, and here's my advice:

I smoke in my car every day and my friends are always amazed when they first see me light up: "Man, you're gonna smoke in this car?!?" I tell them that I've smoked in it since Day One, and can they smell smoke? "No, how do you do it - it smells brand-new?"

1- I hold the butt right by the front edge of the driver's side window while I'm not sucking it, and keep the window cracked. I also ash out of there and never have had any blow back in. This is related to #4 below.

2- I exhale my smoke towards that open front edge of the window so it doesn't swirl around in the cabin.

3- I never run the A/C on 'recirculate' while smoking.

4- I open the back passenger side window a crack also while smoking... this really helps pull the smoke out of the driver's side window, try it! (Won't work on a CL if the back windows don't open.)

5- I toss the butt out when done (yea, i'll burn in Hell), and NEVER mash them out in the ashtray. That really stinks the ashtray up, and the smell will never come out - you gotta buy a new ashtray. Believe me, i've smoked for 14 years, and my old Accord still smelled brand-new at three years old 'cause I followed all the above.

6- It helps to clean the inside windows every so often, also.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-25-2000, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Yuck. To each his own. I smoked for about 4 years but I've not smoked for 1 year, 9 months, and 4 days. Best thing I've ever done for myself.

On leaving the rear window down, I think this could be bad as ashes or the burning butt could be sucked back into the car!

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler and body kit, Inspire tails, Polarg M-12 front signals, super bright blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill w/ custom mesh.
------------------
<A HREF="http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000106.html" TARGET=_blank> Nate's ride!</A>
Old 12-25-2000, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nate:
...leaving the rear window down, I think this could be bad as ashes or the burning butt could be sucked back into the car...

</font>
Most definitely, that's why you don't do it! Read a little closer, and you see that I advocate cracking the rear passenger window, not the driver's side. The 'magic butt' would then have to pull quite a feat to get back into the car, as would ashes.

The idea is that wind rushes into the back passenger window, and then escapes through the front driver's window. This keeps all the yucky stuff out of the car. Obviously, if a front passenger was smoking then you'd reverse the plan: front passenger and rear driver's windows cracked.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gomez (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-2000, 12:34 AM
Safety Car

Oh, oops, missed that technicality..
Old 12-26-2000, 01:56 AM
Pro

Not sure I'd advocate the littering part, but at least your car is clean. (Kinda a pet peeve since someone else's burning butt landed into my S2000 while i was on the road.)

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL
Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

Y2k Honda S2k Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers
Old 12-26-2000, 02:23 AM
Drifting

I have two (not one.. but TWO) Non-Smoking signs in my car. I think they get the idea that I don't allow smoking in my car!

------------------
Y2K satin-silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
H&R OEM Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-26-2000, 02:48 AM
Pro

jesus... all that hard work... isn't it easier just quitting or smoking in someone elses car lol?
what ashtray are you talking about... TL's are "none smoking" cars we have no ashtrays!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2000, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

It costs a hundred something for the smoking package in TLs. And no, quitting smoking is one of the hardest things in life to do. It's more addictive than heroin!

My father is 57 and has smoked since he was 16. I thank God I have the willpower.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Nate on December 27, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-26-2000, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I got a better idea...Don't smoke!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-26-2000, 09:30 AM
Racer

Getting the smoke smell out usually isn't that hard...especially if you have cloth seats....I don't smoke, but my parents still do..

Anyhow, wipe down all the hard surfaces with mild soapy water, windows, dash, etc....Then get a bottle of Fabreeze (heavy duty, or just the stronger of the two) and soak the seats, roof, any other carpeted area with that. Park in the sun with the windows cracked to dry. That usually does it....

Oh yea, and STOP SMOKING, especially in your car......

------------------
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." --Dark Helmet

www.distributed.net
Old 12-27-2000, 09:10 AM
Racer

Angry

Originally posted by Gomez:
5- I toss the butt out when done (yea, i'll burn in Hell), and NEVER mash them out in the ashtray...

Behavior like this really pisses me off. You're fastidious as hell about your private space, but don't give a rat's ass about dumping your garbage all over the space you share with the rest of us. It's your stinking mess. Take responsibility for cleaning it up.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 12-27-2000, 09:21 AM
Advanced

The thing that really helps get the smoke out is the built in Air Filtration system. I smoke in it everyday and no one could even notice.

------------------
99 Dark Emerald Pearl 3.2, Piaa 1400x,Factory Underbody, 2 12" Punch Competition,Burlwood Shift Knob & Instrument Cluster,DynoMat trunk kit,AEM CAI

Soon to have 18's, Comptech Springs,& Inspire Tails
Old 12-27-2000, 09:22 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by Gomez:
A guy on the CL board asked if anyone smoked in their cars, and here's my advice:

1- I hold the butt right by the front edge of the driver's side window while I'm not sucking it, and keep the window cracked

Brings a new meaning to the term "moon"! I'll have to watch for this phenomena the next time I'm in Dallas
Old 12-27-2000, 09:24 AM
Pro

I kinda skimmed over the above... so if someone's already said this then just ignore me:

The crack window trick is more or less the principle that all aerodynamix and fluid dynamix works on. Ya know how air travels faster over the top of a wing, creates lift and allows an airplane to fly? same principle.

Okay take this for instance. Get a straw and put it in a glass of water. Stick it straight out of the glass and blow across the top like you would to make a coca cola bottle sing, or make its little noise. The water in the glass will try to rise up the straw because with the air movement you've created above the straw. Its lowered that pressure there. Naturally high pressure areas with migrate to lower pressure areas to sort of 'relieve' that vacuum-like property you've created.

Same holds true for the car, when you crack a window, the air outside rushes over the crack, (not much coming into the car itself, most of it just breezing by the car) creates a pressure differential, high pressure inside the car, and low pressure just outside the window. So naturally any air inside the car, right beside the window is going to get sucked out of the car. Notice youre little window crack trick doesnt work when the car's not moving. Well because there's no pressure differential. The air outside is moving just as fast as the air inside.

Just my 2¢

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 12-27-2000, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by gto2050:

Brings a new meaning to the term "moon"! I'll have to watch for this phenomena the next time I'm in Dallas
Yeah, I try to fart the smoke out my ass so the leather doesn't stink. Ohhh, the things I do for my TL!

------------------