if you were 17 again, what would u drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 03:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post if you were 17 again, what would u drive?

ok, here's my options for my first car..

used 99 TL
used 98-99 bmw 318ti sport
used 98 integra type R or GS-R
used 98-99 prelude sportshift
used 99-99 accord lx or ex v6

if you got any other ideas, go ahead and post it, but try to keep it reasonable, like $10k - $22k range..im just curious to know what others would want, cuz im still stumped on which car i should get. i got about $2k to blow as well for mods.

------------------
Monkey See, Monkey Do...
Old 12-26-2000, 04:20 AM
Burning Brakes

ur a damn lucky kid.

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs in side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 12-26-2000, 06:41 AM
Safety Car

He's right, you're damn lucky... when I was 16 my parents bought me a 1989 Dodge Daytona. It was awesome for a first car to me. They spent about $3k on it. I won't lie, my parents don't make a lot of money. That was a whole lot to them. I crashed it. They fixed it. I crashed again. They fixed again. I crashed again. They fixed it again. Finally, on the very last day I ever went to high school, I was so high and drunk that I drove over a curb that was in the middle of a parking lot and destroyed the car.

In the center of the parking lot was a sidewalk, street lights on each side. For some reason I didn't see it. On a Dodge Daytona the lowest thing is the oil pan. When I ran into the curb the oil pan hit first, it ripped at the engine mounts, ripping the engine to 90 degrees. The transmission broke completely in half, a crack down its center. Oil was everywhere, leaking onto the parking lot like blood.

When it happenen, my girlfriend at the time (the POS *****, heh) hit her head on the windshield and cracked it. The airbag went off in my face and filled the car with smoke. Now realize I'm just driving through the parking lot, not knowing there is a ****ING curb. I get out of the car after the explosion happens, and look at the mess... oil everywhere... I then see the curb... realizing everything...

Let me tell you, that was the worst time of my life.

If my parents had bought me a TL I might have blasted myself. Though of course, I would've never realized what it takes to buy a TL. I bought my 2001 TL myself, and I have much longer to pay for it. But now I know what its like to pay so much for a car -- I bought my TL myself. I'm much more careful because its my own time and money earned...

My parents might have only paid $3k for my Daytona, but to them it was a TL. Now I know how it feels -- now I can appreciate what its like, how much something can mean. I'm very grateful to them for having gave what they could... but, being only 20 myself, I believe someone as young as 17 can't truly appreciate a gift so large.

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler and body kit, Inspire tails, Polarg M-12 front signals, super bright blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill w/ custom mesh.
------------------
<A HREF="http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000106.html" TARGET=_blank> Nate's ride!</A>
Old 12-26-2000, 08:19 AM
Drifting

If I was 17 again, I would get a fun car like a Jeep. Jeep's are great high school cars and girls love them and they attract a lot of attention. You will have plenty of time in the future to get a practical car. Enjoy the ride!

------------------
18" Giovanna Corsica rims
Factory body kit
Factory rear wing
Indiglo Rear Acura symbol

Comptech Sport exhaust
Comptech Sport headers
Comptech springs
AEM Cold Air Intake
NOS dry kit (70 shot)

Pioneer XDV-P9 DVD changer
Pioneer AVX-P7000 headunit with screen flush mount
Pioneer AVM-P9000R A/V processor
Pioneer GEX-P7000TV tuner
Sony PlayStation
JL Audio XR 6 1/2"
JL Audio XR 6"
(2) JL Audio 12" W6
MMATS DC1200
MMATS LM2525
------------------------
Koni rear struts, brake upgrade and Inspire tail lights to come in the not so distant future.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:21 AM
Banned

Wink

Well... my first car, 9 years ago, was a 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix and I got it for $750... it was the greatest car I've ever had, and I changed 8 cars in 9 years, the most fun car I've had... in a year that I had it I put 30K+ on the car and not a simgle problem!!! and still sold it for $650....
My point is.... that if I had to buy my first car right now I won't spend a fortune but rather get something to learn the driving skills and than upgrade...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-26-2000, 08:56 AM
Instructor

When I was in high school my parents bought me a 1994 Mustang GT convertible. It was a blast and I still have it for weekends. I'd say look at something like a Mustang Cobra or a Camaro SS. Girls love fast cars.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill,
Looking for 18s, Scratch that
I'm getting a TL-S
Old 12-26-2000, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
My first car was an '87 Accord LX... I still love it to this day, even though it's long gone..for a first car, I would get a Civic (90's) and fix it up a bit, you can probably stay well under $15k after all ur mods..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-26-2000, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Let's see...

17 w/ budget... some beat-up hooptie
17 w/o budget... 911 C4 Turbo

------------------
Y2K satin-silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
H&R OEM Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-26-2000, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, of that list I say either the integra or Prelude. I like the 'Lude better of the two.

If I had your budget, I'd likely look for a used Lexus SC or a 3-series Bimmer with a 6 cylynder engine. BTW, why are all the cars you're looking at '99 models? Cars these days are pretty reliable, so no shame in say a '97 and you could get a nicer car, also!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-26-2000, 07:23 PM
Race Director

Guys, honestly, what you guys drove when you are 17 doesnt matter. This is someone totally different, and him reading this would just make the person feel bad about the purchase.

My first car at 16 years old was a Infiniti J30t, and the year i turned 17, it was a lower model BMW Z3.

My advice to you is to try to get the nicest car you can for your age, dont listen to anyone. heres why:

If you are anything like me, my infiniti was given to me, and the Z3 was leased for me.
After learning that winter tires dont help in a Z3, i had to give it back losing lots of my parents money for a 1999 (at that time new) 1.6 Acura EL, only cause i wanted to wait for the CL-S. I could have gotten a 99 TL but wanted to wait.

NOW THE REASON THAT I TELL YOU TO GET THE NICEST CAR YOU CAN IS BECAUSE...

let me ask you something? how often do you see people going from a lexus to a saturn? how often do you see someone from a BMW 5 series to a Echo? almost never, eaven with young people, I have never seen it happen and i know lots of people.

One you get a nice car, you dont want to go down in the class of your next car, you only want to go higher.

What happened to me, was i realized my parents arent going to buy me cars forever, and i realized that i would not want to go to a "worse" car. So i worked hard, just so i dont have to settle for less on the next car.

Even if your parents are buying you a 30k car, its a ticket of knowing you will never again go less than this.

Trust me, I can tell you if you start off with a nice car at your age, that Mercedes AMG S-Class is gonna be under your garage at 30 years old, or maybe less.

Its the fact that humans MOST of the time go up in life, and they adjust theirselves to fit their style of life.

Dont listen to anyone thats gonna tell you to just get a civic or something, get the most expensive thing you can get.

The onyl problem is, when your 40 you have every car you ever dreamed about, and thats when you need to hire a driver and get a limo, cause cars just dont amuse you anymore.

Live an expensive life young, and once you dont have your parents to support you, you will not be able to live in any kind of ghetto conditions. So you would adjust yourself, work harder, get into stocks, whatever, just so you can keep your way of life.

I wrote an essay on something like this, why its not that bad spoiling your kids.

It worked with me, after the Z3 I could not stand something as plain as a 1.6 EL, when i was stuck in that car, i made 5 thousand (canadian)dollars a month at the age of 18,while in school FULLTIME, so i can grab me something decent, and have all the luxuries i grew up in. It only took me a couple months to come up with the cash for a 20 grand (canadian) downpayment for a CL-S for a finance. And already, meantime paying 450 a month for finance for 5 years.

Right now in my mind, i know in 5 years i'l be 24, and i dont want to drive anything worse than a 5 series BMW, and i am already working so i know in 5 years i will be there.

You guys might not believe this, though when i was a kid i remember my dad and mom arguing about spoiling me, and my dad always said "i know what i am doing". I overheard this a lot of times. I told him this when i bought my CL-S at the age of 18, and he told me that his dad did the exact same to him, and my dad is living really well right now, without any help of his dad career wise.

And I am telling you right now, I never settle for less than what i have, my mind wont even let myself. Let me tell you that I THINK this is the attitude that gets cash. Set high standards for yourself.

I doubt the older crowd is going to like this post, but its the truth.

[This message has been edited by amirsafdari (edited December 26, 2000).]

Old 12-26-2000, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Go with a Mustang... esp the 5 Litres... ton's of parts, love the sound, power galore... or 93-98 TT Supra... that's if I was 19 again...
-Rob

------------------
99 Acura TL w/o NAV
Black/Parchment

88 Mustang GT - 450HP
Old 12-26-2000, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

damn... when i turned 16 all i got was a 7 year old beat up caravan... with no tape deck or cd player... only a freaking radio that barely worked!!!.. no power windows, no power locks, no airconditioning.. it broke down ever few miles... now that was reaaaal ghetto!!!!

from your list i'd go with a prelude or a type r... they're more fun to drive than the other cars you listed... and girls love them....
other cars in that range.. hmm... used MR2 turbo, used audi A4, you can even go with used 300ZX or RX7
Old 12-26-2000, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

I'd go with the Integra GS-R. Enjoy.
Old 12-26-2000, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Remember when you would go away as a youth at camp or something and you would ask your dad for 5 dollars for snacks or to buy a souvenir or something? Remember what he said after he gave it to you? Well, I do; "Now just because I gave you 5 dollars doesn't mean you have to spend it all".
My $.02 cents: It tears me up to see my fellow community youths younger than me driving Porsche 911 Turbo's and after they slam it into the wall, they get a Ferrari. It's all a load of crap. Why? RESPONSIBILITY, that's why! My family lives very comfortably. Doesn't mean I can't have any car that I want, it means that when my dad see's my responsibility, he opens his heart and hands! I'll never forget my Senior year in High school: I, a senior was in recess, while a Junior comes in late after recess..His excuse? He went to go buy a car..guess what car? a brand spanking new Toyota Supra Turbo..A 17 year old buying a supra turbo, ON HIS AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD! Sure enough, two days later, outside was his black Supra Turbo. His cousin? drove an NSX. His other cousin? drove a Lotus Esprit turbo at age 16. 16!!(FL License) He did a stupid move by double downshifting at high speeds in the rain, slammed into a guradrail in the rain, totalled the car, after a month. His dad punished him with a 911 Carrera.. I could go on you know, but I won't. Point is, you work your way up to responsibility and affordabity, no matter who buys the car for you. You must start somewhere, and at the age of 17, it's at the bottom, the little $hit, just like going to work, making your way up to the top and success. That's what life is all about. Period.
Ed

------------------

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Old 12-27-2000, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

if i had my choice, NSX all the way!
Old 12-27-2000, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
That's what life is all about. Period.</font>
And freaky-deaky stuffed animal fornication.
Old 12-27-2000, 12:54 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sOuPyTL:
ok, here's my options for my first car..

used 99 TL
used 98-99 bmw 318ti sport
used 98 integra type R or GS-R
used 98-99 prelude sportshift
used 99-99 accord lx or ex v6

if you got any other ideas, go ahead and post it, but try to keep it reasonable, like $10k - $22k range..im just curious to know what others would want, cuz im still stumped on which car i should get. i got about $2k to blow as well for mods.
</font>
Seriously? I would probably get me a two-door coupe like an Integ or Prelude. I prefer Preludes also (since my experience from owning two Preludes in the past were more than excellent.) But Shoofin is right though. You should start from somewhere and walk your way up.

When I was 17, I didn't have my own car. At the age 18, I was given a used (6-year old) 4 door sedan. Sure it was sedated but it gave me a reason to live! From there, I walked my way up... Now I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a TL (plus the mods) with my own money!

Happy shopping!

------------------
Y2K satin-silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
H&R OEM Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-27-2000, 01:12 AM
Advanced

Smile

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
Guys, honestly, what you guys drove when you are 17 doesnt matter. This is someone totally different, and him reading this would just make the person feel bad about the purchase.

My first car at 16 years old was a Infiniti J30t, and the year i turned 17, it was a lower model BMW Z3.

My advice to you is to try to get the nicest car you can for your age, dont listen to anyone. heres why:

If you are anything like me, my infiniti was given to me, and the Z3 was leased for me.
After learning that winter tires dont help in a Z3, i had to give it back losing lots of my parents money for a 1999 (at that time new) 1.6 Acura EL, only cause i wanted to wait for the CL-S. I could have gotten a 99 TL but wanted to wait.

let me ask you something? how often do you see people going from a lexus to a saturn? how often do you see someone from a BMW 5 series to a Echo? almost never, eaven with young people, I have never seen it happen and i know lots of people.

One you get a nice car, you dont want to go down in the class of your next car, you only want to go higher.

What happened to me, was i realized my parents arent going to buy me cars forever, and i realized that i would not want to go to a "worse" car. So i worked hard, just so i dont have to settle for less on the next car.

Even if your parents are buying you a 30k car, its a ticket of knowing you will never again go less than this.

Trust me, I can tell you if you start off with a nice car at your age, that Mercedes AMG S-Class is gonna be under your garage at 30 years old, or maybe less.

Its the fact that humans MOST of the time go up in life, and they adjust theirselves to fit their style of life.

Dont listen to anyone thats gonna tell you to just get a civic or something, get the most expensive thing you can get.

The onyl problem is, when your 40 you have every car you ever dreamed about, and thats when you need to hire a driver and get a limo, cause cars just dont amuse you anymore.

Live an expensive life young, and once you dont have your parents to support you, you will not be able to live in any kind of ghetto conditions. So you would adjust yourself, work harder, get into stocks, whatever, just so you can keep your way of life.

I wrote an essay on something like this, why its not that bad spoiling your kids.

It worked with me, after the Z3 I could not stand something as plain as a 1.6 EL, when i was stuck in that car, i made 5 thousand (canadian)dollars a month at the age of 18,while in school FULLTIME, so i can grab me something decent, and have all the luxuries i grew up in. It only took me a couple months to come up with the cash for a 20 grand (canadian) downpayment for a CL-S for a finance. And already, meantime paying 450 a month for finance for 5 years.

Right now in my mind, i know in 5 years i'l be 24, and i dont want to drive anything worse than a 5 series BMW, and i am already working so i know in 5 years i will be there.

You guys might not believe this, though when i was a kid i remember my dad and mom arguing about spoiling me, and my dad always said "i know what i am doing". I overheard this a lot of times. I told him this when i bought my CL-S at the age of 18, and he told me that his dad did the exact same to him, and my dad is living really well right now, without any help of his dad career wise.

And I am telling you right now, I never settle for less than what i have, my mind wont even let myself. Let me tell you that I THINK this is the attitude that gets cash. Set high standards for yourself.

</font>
I think ur crazy

Old 12-27-2000, 02:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ultimate car has to be my '64 Buick LeSabre 4 door. 455ci bb w/holley 750. Interior big enough to host a party of 10. Trunk large enough to fit my 5'11" T&C Thruster surf board or 3 guys to sneak 'um into the drive-in. SIGH....those were the days!
Old 12-27-2000, 03:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I would get a USED twin turbo Supra. That is one fast japanese car... That way, you will punk all the other 17 year old's slow rice rockets. Then again, that's if your parents can afford the insurance. BE CAREFUL, DONT SPEED TOO MUCH.... heh...
Old 12-27-2000, 03:47 AM

I'm 18, and I would go with a Type R, cause that was one of the cars I originally wanted.

Or a 96 Prelude is nice, and won't run you that much.

Old 12-27-2000, 04:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Shoofin,
My first car was and still is (my somewhat noble favorite) an 87 burgandy accord LX. The paint on the top has been peeled off by some junk in the air and it either looks like a strange skunk or a wannabe racing stripe. what color u got?

AMIR,
Being 19 now and 17 when I bought my TL, I do wonder what u got on that paper of yours. I'm not saying ur totally wrong, but we, as younger people, should show a sort of respect and humility, don't you think? WE ARE SOOOOO LUCKY. it just seems wrong to bring in logic like that. Yes, ambition will probably gain you more in the end, but haven't you ever heard of HUMAN INSATIABILITY? Shoofin is right about us kids. I had classmates who drove all sorts of junk (not to be racist, but all the middle-eastern kids had 40k Lexuses). I couldn't stand them. One punk kid had a turbo eclipse, completely totalled it on PCH racing and only got a TL because it was all his insurance would let him have. How can u not shake your head in disbelief?
Everyday, I try, somehow, to so my deep appreciation for all that I have. The truth is that the money used to get the car was simply luck from the stock market. I can't even claim any credit for that. In the end, we should say, be ambitious, but remember who you are and why you are.
If that doesn't make a little sense, then someone needs to smack some rationale into you.

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs in side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

Old 12-27-2000, 04:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Soupy,
I hope you're getting something out of all this. By the by, I would get a really sweet used car cuz it shows class and some understanding and appreciation for past automotive marvels. In other words, anyone can get a new car...

------------------

Old 12-27-2000, 05:26 AM
Intermediate

Wink

wow, i didnt expect a whole debate here to start =D. I agree with ed that kids my age should start from the bottom, but if the opportunity is there, i think i better grab it. my parents are divorced and im an only child, so my mom naturally spoils me cuz she doesn't have too much time to spend with me. Responsiblity-wise, i could take care of whatever car she gives me. my driving's pretty decent, i dont drink, do drugs, or ne of that stereotypical teenage shit. i sit my ass at home studying n' praying that ill get into some ivy league college my mom wants me in. personally, i can care less what car she gives me, but she gave me a decent sized budget and plenty of options. also, theres no chance in hell she'll get me a new $30k+ car, so for those who suggested carreras, nsx's, etc., yeaaa rite =D

------------------
Monkey See, Monkey Do...
Old 12-27-2000, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Don't let these older folks tell you you shouldn't have a nice car! If ya do get one, don't rag it and the girls will appreciate that. Teenage girls mature faster than boys and they will look down on stupid testosterone pranks, believe me.

Me? Well, I'm 31 but my folks spoiled me. I had some pretty nice cars as a kid, but there was one kid who kept totaling all his super-nice cars that I knew. For instance, one car he totaled was BB King's old '57 Chevy, it was priceless. sad... The car looked like a metallic blue, but when you looked really close you could see that it had "B.B. King" on it a zillion times in tiny gold paint. The kid had a big drug/alcohol problem, and eventually killed himself in suicide. Obviously, money isn't everything.

Just don't be a jack*ss and you won't be thought one.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-27-2000, 09:42 AM
Advanced

I would drive the same thing that I drove when I was 17. I had a bad a$$ Grand Cherokee. I had 17 inch Anterra's, two 15's in the back controled by the CVA 1000 in front. Man, it was sweet. But it came to an end when it got totaled in a wreck.
Old 12-27-2000, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Gomez, if im one of those old folks at my old age of 23 now, I don't wanna know what you consider yourself to be! j/k..
I go thru life using logic, that's all...My parents raised me to work for what I have, and I will receive...like i said, just because the money is there(soupy), doesn't mean you have to spend it all...if you have a budget of say 25k to spend on a car, there's nothing wrong with spending 16 and leaving that other money for another purpose..
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL
Old 12-27-2000, 10:53 AM
Drifting

2000 Red Hot TL

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
I DONT'T HAVE A LIFE
Old 12-27-2000, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by bobatimez:
Hey Shoofin,
My first car was and still is (my somewhat noble favorite) an 87 burgandy accord LX. The paint on the top has been peeled off by some junk in the air and it either looks like a strange skunk or a wannabe racing stripe. what color u got?
LOL, My car was champagne beige metallic, in excellent condition, with the exception of the passenger side fender that was badly miscolored(not from us, we got it from my dad that way) that my dad still denies ever having that fixed..so either he got the car with a lighter colored fender and pinstripe, or someone borrowed the car from him and never told him they got into an accident..He bought the car new in '86, used it until like '93, gave it to my older bro, then when I started driving a year later, I shared it with him...The car was great, I loved it, so much fun to drive and throw around..The highlight of my life driving that car was putting some bad-ass Pirelli P44's (185/70/13) that made the car stick like glue.LOLOLOL oh the memories! We sold the car in '97 and it had like 55k miles on it..wonder where it is now..
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL
Old 12-27-2000, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by amirsafdari:

Just to let you know, not everyone has parents that buy $30k cars! to me you are one of the ****ing spoiled little boys, so shot the **** up about buying $30k cars.

now, if i went back when i was 17, i would get volvo station wagon... roomy, safe, reliable and realy roomy when in presence of hot girl.

------------------
2000 TL Pearl White w\o nav
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Traded

"Just Shut Up and Enjoy the Ride"
Old 12-27-2000, 01:19 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
Remember when you would go away as a youth at camp or something and you would ask your dad for 5 dollars for snacks or to buy a souvenir or something? Remember what he said after he gave it to you? Well, I do; "Now just because I gave you 5 dollars doesn't mean you have to spend it all".
My $.02 cents: It tears me up to see my fellow community youths younger than me driving Porsche 911 Turbo's and after they slam it into the wall, they get a Ferrari. It's all a load of crap. Why? RESPONSIBILITY, that's why! My family lives very comfortably. Doesn't mean I can't have any car that I want, it means that when my dad see's my responsibility, he opens his heart and hands! I'll never forget my Senior year in High school: I, a senior was in recess, while a Junior comes in late after recess..His excuse? He went to go buy a car..guess what car? a brand spanking new Toyota Supra Turbo..A 17 year old buying a supra turbo, ON HIS AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD! Sure enough, two days later, outside was his black Supra Turbo. His cousin? drove an NSX. His other cousin? drove a Lotus Esprit turbo at age 16. 16!!(FL License) He did a stupid move by double downshifting at high speeds in the rain, slammed into a guradrail in the rain, totalled the car, after a month. His dad punished him with a 911 Carrera.. I could go on you know, but I won't. Point is, you work your way up to responsibility and affordabity, no matter who buys the car for you. You must start somewhere, and at the age of 17, it's at the bottom, the little $hit, just like going to work, making your way up to the top and success. That's what life is all about. Period.
Ed

RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Old 12-27-2000, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

My first car was a saab 9000 I got from an auction after graduating HS.(not the ugly model the other one.) That wasn't shit but it had turbo. If I could have picked MYSELF I would have went for a 96 Accord. You on the other hand have options. Start out medium since you aren't paying- go for the lude or integra and go crazy with the mods.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:27 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Pawel:
Just to let you know, not everyone has parents that buy $30k cars! to me you are one of the ****ing spoiled little boys, so shot the **** up about buying $30k cars.

now, if i went back when i was 17, i would get volvo station wagon... roomy, safe, reliable and realy roomy when in presence of hot girl.

Whats your problem?
I didnt say every parents have 30k to spend on a car. If they do then go for it.
Set high standards for yourself, and you will get far.

I knew the older people werent going to like that post.

Old 12-27-2000, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Angry

Whats your problem?
I didnt say every parents have 30k to spend on a car. If they do then go for it.

Amirsafadari

Did you expect the car to wipe your @ss too???

Do you even realize that the car YOU ASKED YOUR PARENTS to buy you IS a fine automobile to begin with???

Judging from your take you'd probably ruin the car from the terrible decisions you'd make with the mods....I'm sorry do you even know what lowering springs are??

Better yet you'd probably head to KRAGEN AUTO with a picture of SNOOKS or TL DADDY's ride telling the mechanic's to make your car look like theirs!!

By all means reply....I'm sure this forum is lining up to respond to you!!!

Old 12-27-2000, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

btw,

I'd get an old Karmen Ghia and cherry it back.
Old 12-27-2000, 04:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ceriman:
Whats your problem?

Amirsafadari

Did you expect the car to wipe your @ss too???

Do you even realize that the car YOU ASKED YOUR PARENTS to buy you IS a fine automobile to begin with???

Judging from your take you'd probably ruin the car from the terrible decisions you'd make with the mods....I'm sorry do you even know what lowering springs are??

Better yet you'd probably head to KRAGEN AUTO with a picture of SNOOKS or TL DADDY's ride telling the mechanic's to make your car look like theirs!!

By all means reply....I'm sure this forum is lining up to respond to you!!!

Ceriman, this kid is the type that Shoofin'TL is talking about. everything is handed out to them, no respect for shit. and when you try to say something to them, they all get lipy with you...

------------------

Old 12-27-2000, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Pawel,

I'm sure Amir cried all the way to the Acura dealership.

From the looks of it I"m sure this fourm can branch into another topic of "The Fall of Today's Youth" but we'd sound like a bunch of old farts....and I"m only 28!

I agree with both SHOOFIN's and your takes!

Old 12-27-2000, 04:47 PM
Race Director

atleast i can read.

you guys dont even know what your talking about, and if you knew how to read and understand a post, then you would know my parents did not buy my CL-S, and I did.

My parents gave me a 93 Infiniti J30t, and 4 thousand dollars.
the infiniti was worth 11 thousand CANADIAN dollars , which meant 15 THOUSAND CANADIAN DOLLARS.
That is 9950 U.S. Dollars.
That is how much my parents GAVE ME.
I am THANKFUL for what they gave me.

You idiots should learn how to read.
if my parents gave me 10 000 US dollars, and a CL-S is 30K, where did the rest of the 20K come from? I WORKED MY ASS OFF WHILE IN FULL TIME SCHOOL.

Dont @*%@ type if you cant read to begin with.

I was saying the Infiniti, and later the Z3 (which was leased and paid for a year with the money i sold the infiniti for) SET HIGH STANDARDS FOR ME, WHICH MADE ME WORK HARD NOT TO GO LOWER THAN THAT STAGE.

The concept itself is really simple. Reading and understanding is really simple too.

Yeah my dad spoiled my ass at a young age, though its been 2 years that he hasnt paid for any of my expenses, except for HALF my insurance! I dont know what is making you guys cry so much.

My point is once you get spoiled like me, and realize that dad isnt always going to help you out, YOU WORK YOUR ASS OFF.

You guys think my theory is wrong? i dont care, cause its working too good for me.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by amirsafdari on December 27, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-27-2000, 04:55 PM
Safety Car

I think its stupid to fight over this crap - post your opinions but try and keep it civil!

I'm not one of the "old crowd" (like Gomez ) - I'm 20.

Your parents only gave you $10k for your first car? My first car was $2300 and that was a lot.

Fact is, you don't appreciate things as much unless you earn them yourselves. No arguing with that.

I'm not saying that if your parents buy you nice things that you are a spoiled brat. I'm just saying that you won't treat it as well as you would if you had earned it and that you probably won't treat it as well as it deserves because you didn't earn it.

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler and body kit, Inspire tails, Polarg M-12 front signals, super bright blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill w/ custom mesh.
------------------
packinthemacinthebackoftheacpackinthemacinthebacko ftheacpackinthemacintheaaaaaaaaaaacpackinthemacint hebackoftheac.
Old 12-27-2000, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Amir.....Are you getting lipy again?
Please stop, it's embarrassing.

btw, enough with the high expectations speech. You haven't worked hard enough yet.

Quick Reply: if you were 17 again, what would u drive?