idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle problem

I started my car this morning, went back inside to grab a cup of coffee. When came back out (about 5 min later) the car was reving up then dropping back down. I got in, and the tach was jumping between 1k and 2k about once per second. I shut the engine off waited a few seconds and restarted. Didn't seem to be doing it, so I pulled it out of the garage and started heading to work. At the first stop light I came to, it seemed to require a bit more brake pressure to stop the car. When I came to a stop, I popped it into neutral, and it was doing the oscillating rev thing again. So I drove around the block, put it back in the garage, and hopped in my other car, and came to work.

I just got in, and called my dealer. He said since the check engine light isn't coming on, there is probably nothing wrong and it may clear itself up. He wanted me to try driving it around tonight or tommorow and call him back if its still doing it.

I vaugly seem to remember someone complaining of a similar problem a while back, but I couldn't seem to find it using the search. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this problem without causing the computer to throw a code?

Dave
Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,206 Posts
Re: idle problem

Originally posted by 2002TLSNavi
I started my car this morning, went back inside to grab a cup of coffee. When came back out (about 5 min later) the car was reving up then dropping back down. I got in, and the tach was jumping between 1k and 2k about once per second. I shut the engine off waited a few seconds and restarted. Didn't seem to be doing it, so I pulled it out of the garage and started heading to work. At the first stop light I came to, it seemed to require a bit more brake pressure to stop the car. When I came to a stop, I popped it into neutral, and it was doing the oscillating rev thing again. So I drove around the block, put it back in the garage, and hopped in my other car, and came to work.

I just got in, and called my dealer. He said since the check engine light isn't coming on, there is probably nothing wrong and it may clear itself up. He wanted me to try driving it around tonight or tommorow and call him back if its still doing it.

I vaugly seem to remember someone complaining of a similar problem a while back, but I couldn't seem to find it using the search. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this problem without causing the computer to throw a code?

Dave
Try what the mechanic suggests, if that doesn't work, you may want to try reseting the ECU. I think there's a fuse but it can also be done by disconnecting the battery. Make sure you know your radio code before pulling the battery.

A car with a freshly reset ECU may act like you are describing but it will clear up as the ECU adjusts.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Advanced

I have had the EXACT same thing happen several times lately. At night or in the morning usually. It revs up to about 1200 and down to 400 RPMs. Dome light dips in brightness, etc. I'm taking it in on Tuesday and hopefully it will show itself. One time It actually died as I was pulluing up to a stop light. That just PISSED me off to no end. I bought mine in October of '01 and it was just off the truck and in plastic when I got it. You purchase your any time around then?

02 TL-S SSM
Old 01-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Gibrango,

The dome light dimming is just the alternator not putting out enough power when the engine bogs down to 400 RPM.

I'm going to start it up and drive it around when I get home from work tonight, see if it went away. I'm thinking it's not the cold, since it was garaged all night.

I picked the car up Jan 24, 2002.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've had the opposite, come to a stop and the car dies.

Seems like if the A/C compressor is working at the time that it is too much of a load and she stalls.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Re: idle problem

Dave

I had the exact same problem around 12k..I took it to my dealership and they took care of it. They had to replace the throttle body.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Well, the problem seems to have gone away... I've been driving the car around the last few days with no problems at all. I guess I'll just wait and see if it occurs again.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Well, the problem seems to have gone away... I've been driving the car around the last few days with no problems at all. I guess I'll just wait and see if it occurs again.

it'll happen again...

does it usually happen when the car is cold???
Old 01-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Yes and no, it was pretty cold the day it happened, but the car was in the garage. Ouside temp read a bit below 40 in the garage. It's been alot colder the last couple of days, and I've had no problem starting it when I leave work. Last few days the outside temp has been reading somewhere between 11 and 15 when I get in the car after work, and it starts right up.

Did your check engine light ever come on?
Old 01-19-2003, 10:41 AM

My car does the same thing... I took it into the dealership they said that my fuel pump is dying causing my car to stall... I usually wait until 1/8 of a tank to fill her up. That sort of explains it. The only other explanation is my AEM pullies. I think its a combo of both.