I went to the auto show today looking for a TL replacement ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the auto show today looking for a TL replacement ...

I have been so bummed about the tranny failures (mine hasn't gone out yet) that I hit the auto show today here in Jacksonville to see what other cars I might be interested in. Well - I can say that I was pretty underwhelmed with most of the vehicles I saw. In particular - a lot of the cars have really cheesy interiors even if they look pretty good on the outside. I really liked the Infiniti M45 (340HP) but it costs a whole lot more than a TL (about $45G). I also liked a Volvo (type R?) that had 300 HP - it was around $43G. Of course, I couldn't drive any of the cars but I could sit in them and check out the features/specs. The new 2005 Subaru Legacy GT looks really nice (unusual for a Subie) and is relatively inexpensive (around $30G) but they didn't have a sedan on the floor - just the wagon. It appears to be pretty fast too (240 HP turbo/AWD). Anyway - for what I paid for my 2002 TL and given its features, performance and appearance, it would be difficult to buy anything that comes close (overall) for that kind of money (I paid about $28G which will get you a nice Camry these days - and I am not knocking Camrys - they just aren't to my taste). Granted - I bought my car almost 3 years ago so prices have gone up. The new TL is pretty nice but the one at the show with Navi was $35G (not bad considering the features and performance). Long story short - I am going to get a tranny flush/fill and keep my fingers crossed ... I realize now how much I really like my TL. If it weren't for the darn tranny problems - these car would be darn near perfect.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, these cars are nearly perfect. But, there is no such thing as perfect, as most of us know - even if we spent 100G on a car, there would be something wrong.
Honestly, I know the trannys are the weak link, but the % are low and Acura is really standing behind the customers with the extended warranties.
I give Acura an A+ for that.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: I went to the auto show today looking for a TL replacement ...

Originally posted by jdigeorgio
I have been so bummed about the tranny failures (mine hasn't gone out yet) that I hit the auto show today here in Jacksonville to see what other cars I might be interested in. Well - I can say that I was pretty underwhelmed with most of the vehicles I saw. In particular - a lot of the cars have really cheesy interiors even if they look pretty good on the outside. I really liked the Infiniti M45 (340HP) but it costs a whole lot more than a TL (about $45G). I also liked a Volvo (type R?) that had 300 HP - it was around $43G. Of course, I couldn't drive any of the cars but I could sit in them and check out the features/specs. The new 2005 Subaru Legacy GT looks really nice (unusual for a Subie) and is relatively inexpensive (around $30G) but they didn't have a sedan on the floor - just the wagon. It appears to be pretty fast too (240 HP turbo/AWD). Anyway - for what I paid for my 2002 TL and given its features, performance and appearance, it would be difficult to buy anything that comes close (overall) for that kind of money (I paid about $28G which will get you a nice Camry these days - and I am not knocking Camrys - they just aren't to my taste). Granted - I bought my car almost 3 years ago so prices have gone up. The new TL is pretty nice but the one at the show with Navi was $35G (not bad considering the features and performance). Long story short - I am going to get a tranny flush/fill and keep my fingers crossed ... I realize now how much I really like my TL. If it weren't for the darn tranny problems - these car would be darn near perfect.
I agree, these are exceptionally good vehicles for the dollars. My tranny has been replaced but has been fine ever since. No other problems whatsoever.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:16 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are still a few left over 2003 TL's out there. The late 2003;s have the revised transmission that isn't supposed to fail at a high rate.

Back in September, I bought one for 25.4K including freight. I think this is exceptional value. I don't see paying 33K for a 2004...I think the 2004 is worth about 3K more than the 2003 (mainly for the new styling and the more powerful engine) But not 8 grand. For 32K, I was thinking seriously of buying the Lexus ES330. I test drove one, and without a doubt the best riding car I have ever driven.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by larrynimmo
There are still a few left over 2003 TL's out there. The late 2003;s have the revised transmission that isn't supposed to fail at a high rate.

Back in September, I bought one for 25.4K including freight. I think this is exceptional value. I don't see paying 33K for a 2004...I think the 2004 is worth about 3K more than the 2003 (mainly for the new styling and the more powerful engine) But not 8 grand. For 32K, I was thinking seriously of buying the Lexus ES330. I test drove one, and without a doubt the best riding car I have ever driven.
The ES330 is a nice car, but it strikes me as an old mans car.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

I agree on the Lexus. Great refined auto, but something for older or more conservative drivers. My 2002 TLs is as interesting to drive as my old Lexus SC300...except for that sluggish tranny.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

consumer report gave 03 Tl perfects in almost every category