I need to choose now! S4 or TL Type-S!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 04:38 AM

Cool I need to choose now! S4 or TL Type-S!

Someone please help me make a major decision. I am torn between a Audi S4 or a fully loaded TL Type S. I drive both cars but would have to say the S4 is a little bit more responsive and sporty. I plan on keeping this car for long time. Help me out here guys. What are the pros and cons of both. What problems do the TL's have? I need some unbiased advice. Bottom line: Which car would YOU rather have if money was no concern. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2001, 05:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's pretty BOLD of u coming in here with a first post like that. Lemme try to help. the big thing is that the s4 just has NO room. i was sitting in the front seat and was already crammed. Personally, I really want a sporty roadster now, but if i had to trade my TL for it, NO WAY. a TL is like a great foundation to start off with, plus it has all the bells and whistles. After you get the foundation, you can build up from there. Without a good foundation (which would be a s4) than you would simply be a poser.

hope that helps.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Akimoto Intake, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 05-26-2001, 08:34 AM
Pro

You have come to the WRONG!!! place. We are all Acura Fans...so if you were looking for a honest answer, good luck.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by AcuraJoe:
You have come to the WRONG!!! place. We are all Acura Fans...so if you were looking for a honest answer, good luck.
It's not that you won't get honest answers, but the answers you will get are biased towards Acura.

I was debating between the S4 and the TL. I'm VERY glad I went with the TL, it's much more comfortable. I don't think I'd have been happy with the size of the inside of the Audi.

But it is very fast!

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Old 05-26-2001, 10:27 AM

Cool

I looked at an a A4, and found it cramped. I put the driver's seat in a comfortable position for me (I'm 6.0' tall) and then tried to get into the rear seat behind. I couldn't! Incidentally ,I also tried the same with a Volvo V.60. More room than an A4 but still cramped. I wanted a performance sedan that could still carry 4 adults when I wanted, and so chose a TL-S.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:40 PM

I would (did) pick the TL-S.
IMHO I couldn't compare the A4 to the TL-S. Really the A6 2.7T is a closer match to the TL-S than the A4 for size, performance, and features. One of my friends has a A6 2.7T and it really is a nice car, but I don't like it any better than my TL-S.

You said this car has to last you awhile, well you may wish you had the extra cabin space in a couple of years.

For all around value, the TL-S beats the upper end Euro sports sedans.

My self, I really wanted a BMW530i, but I'm just as happy with the TL-S and it gets just as much attention, and it's almost $20K cheaper

Good luck
TLSKev

------------------
TLSKev
2002 3.2 TLS Aegean Blue
Old 05-26-2001, 05:00 PM

Cool

Whoa! Guys chill. I'm 21 and don't have 4 or 5 kids yet, so back seat space isn't really a concern. If I need cargo space, I'd go rent a U-Haul truck. I'm talking about what car's better for road racing, balls out driving, etc. I'm after the fun factor guys. It's just the TL-S is such a good value. I'm having a hard time choosing. Also, the S4 and A4 are totally different animals. S4 has 250HP and 258 lbs/ft torque. Add a $500 ECU chip and air filter upgrade, and you will have about 320HP to the wheels. I know a guy that has a 460HP S4, with Stage III upgrades. I'd like to see a front wheel drive car beat that? Is that any sports sedan for $45,000 that can beat a modified S4?

Don't get me wrong, I love Acura too. I own a 97' Integra Type-R.
Old 05-26-2001, 05:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you've already made up your mind --> what could have possibly expected to hear about the TL-S that would convince you that it'll outperform the S4 in the circumstances that you suggested .. "balls out driving?"

Go buy an S4 --> 21 eh? In two or three more years you'll have enough saved to by the 911 TT, so I'd start off small, and incognito w/ the S4. Best of Luck!
Old 05-26-2001, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Someone mentioned the redesigned A4 in 2002... well the S4 for 2002 will be still be based on the current platform.

You'd have a really hard time beating a chipped A4 with any of it's competition. You could easily beat it with a modified Camaro. That's really a different car though. As far as sedans under $45k, a chipped S4 is king.
Old 05-26-2001, 07:38 PM
Instructor

I say go with the S4. If your not concerned with the lack of back seat room like you mentioned the size shouldn't be an issue. I have a 99 TL and in a year or so when I get a new car the S4 will most likely be at the top of my list. I'm only 22 so I say enjoy the small sporty cars while I can because once the kids come its all over.

------------------
1999 Silver TL w/ Navigation
-Comptech Exhaust
-CL Type S Wheels and Tires
-PIAA 1900x Foglights
-Gutter Guard Grill
Old 05-26-2001, 09:35 PM

I just ordered a new Imola Yellow 2002 S4. it'll be here by Oct. I'm glad I got the S4, because it turns out that my cousin already has a Silver 2002 TL-S. Hehe. Hmmm...I wonder if he wants to race. Anyhow, the new 2002 or 2003 TL-S's will have a 5 speed manual. That should make them a lot quicker and more fun to drive than current TL's. Hopefully I can find a 5spd TL to race my S4 6-spd again. ^_^
Old 05-26-2001, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

The S4 is a nice car but you get a lot more stuff with the Acura like the Navi system and also reliability is an issue, Audi has a lousy reliability record compared to Acura - all Audi owners I know have had their car in the shop for things breaking on and off. BIG INCONVENIENCE!!

The Type S is a BLAST! Get it!!
Old 05-26-2001, 11:32 PM
Racer

Just another thing to remember ..... the totally redesigned A4 is out in a few months. Just about everything from the body tothe engine/suspension/transmission are new for '02. you're going to take hell of a beating in resale vaule if you opt for the S4 now. Unless of you're getting an unbelievable deal on it, which I doubt. The other question I have is how long before Audi launches a revised S4 based on the '02 A4? You might want to factor in all of these before arriving at a decision. $40k is no small sum of money.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:39 PM
Advanced

The S4 is way more fun to drive.

If you have rear seat passengers... forget it. It has the worst rear seat accomodations I've ever seen in a sedan.

I found the S4 to be comfortable for driver and passenger though... kinda cozy.

The S4 doesn't have a great repair record either, and a lot of the problems are major like turbo failures, quatro problems etc.

Good luck. They are both nice cars.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:40 PM
Racer

I forgot to mention, Audi has addressed the 2 major weaknesses of the A4 in the '02 model : interior space and power. The A4 will have dimensions similar to the A6/Passat and that directy translates into substantially more interior space. Also there will be several engine options avaiallble.

So to answer your question, I would either buy the TLS NOW (you can't go wrong), or if you have your mind set on an Audi wait until the 02 A4 is out.

Either way I would check with your Audi dealer first ..... and let us knowwhat he says.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:40 PM
Advanced

Talking

get the tls. you'll
love the car
Old 05-26-2001, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1000bpm:
Just another thing to remember ..... the totally redesigned A4 is out in a few months. Just about everything from the body tothe engine/suspension/transmission are new for '02. you're going to take hell of a beating in resale vaule if you opt for the S4 now. Unless of you're getting an unbelievable deal on it, which I doubt. The other question I have is how long before Audi launches a revised S4 based on the '02 A4? You might want to factor in all of these before arriving at a decision. $40k is no small sum of money.
YEA! What he said!
Old 05-27-2001, 03:16 AM

Hmmm...but I've also heard of more than a few unhappy TL owners with issues concerning paint, transmission, overall fit and finish, etc. I love Acuras, but I just like the ones made in Japan a little better. My Integra has given me no problems in the 4 1/2 years I've owned it. I just think American made Acura's aren't living up to their name. Even the Canadian made MDX has less problems than with the U.S. build models. What gives??! Another thing that drew me to Audi is their 50,000 mile free maintainance program. Seems to me Audi is trying to change their old image. I agree, Audi used to suck. But not anymore!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by AMS on May 27, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-27-2001, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 1000bpm:
The dealer told me the S4 is going to remain the same body style for 2002. They'll probably change the S4 in 2003. I'd go with the TL-S BTW.
Old 05-27-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro

If money were no object and I was 21 I would get an S-4. It's really a hot rod sedan.

Being older (30) and married, and paying for the car myself I'd totally get the tl-type S. It's almost as kick but fast as an S-4, but more luxurious, more spaceous, and A LOT cheaper, and probably more reliable and easier to maintain. It's a no-brainer for me.

But if you're 21 and want speed, maybe you should be looking at a Honda S-2000, Porsche boxter, BMW M-3, or Corvette. I'd get any one of those ANY DAY over an S-4.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 05-27-2001, 11:39 PM
Advanced

AMS, have you checked out the forums at www.audiworld.com? Its a great resource for S4 info. You will find that they do have some reliability issues. Turbos were a problem. I think they may be putting different turbos in now though.

At any rate, I don't think reliability and service departments are Audi's strong suits.

-Scott
Old 05-27-2001, 11:49 PM

I think most people summed it up. The S4 is more comparable to the 3 series BMW, not the TL Type S. An S4 is comparable to the 3 series BMW. Be aware the TL is a big car and feels like one. You definitely need to test drive a TL before considering one. The Audi A6 is similar in size to the TL.

Do you have kids? Are you expecting them in the near future? If so then don't waste your money on an Audi A4 - get the TL or A6. Do you frequently need rear passenger room? Then get the TL or A6.