I love comptech!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love comptech!

I got my Comptech headers, exhaust, sways, and springs installed this week for a grand total of about $3350 with installation after tax. I love the car even more after the modificatons. The exhaust note is awesome, not too loud and sounds very powerful. The handling is better without compromising ride quality too much. The lower look really highlights the stock rims and makes them look even bigger then they did before.

I have just one problem with the modifications - how do I launch this thing? If I just floor it off the line, even with VSA turned on, it sits there and spins the tires for at least a second before getting traction and going. I even get a tiny bit of what feels like wheel hop. Once I get moving I chirp a bit in 1->2 and sometimes 2->3. Any sugigestions?

Other then that, my only complaint about the care is the annoying squeek I hear behind me when I am driving. The dealer didn't fix it when I took it in for its first oil change, though they marked that they tighted up the lamp behind the sunroof. It sounds like the 'windows' on envelopes when they rub on something else. It's extremely annoying. Other then that I _LOVE_ my car. Looks great, sounds great, drives great, IS great.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: I love comptech!

Originally posted by trippin555
I have just one problem with the modifications - how do I launch this thing? If I just floor it off the line, even with VSA turned on, it sits there and spins the tires for at least a second before getting traction and going. I even get a tiny bit of what feels like wheel hop. Once I get moving I chirp a bit in 1->2 and sometimes 2->3. Any sugigestions?
Take a look under your car where those 4 black round things are. Ya know the ones that say Michelin on them

The OEM tires suck big times. Time to put some sticky tires on your car to tame that beast. I highly recommend the Dunlop SP9000. They stick like glue, even with all the mods I have.

Time for new tires my friend. Congrats on your new mods.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: I love comptech!

I got my Comptech headers, exhaust, sways, and springs installed this week for a grand total of about $3350 with installation after tax. I love the car even more after the modificatons. The exhaust note is awesome, not too loud and sounds very powerful. The handling is better without compromising ride quality too much. The lower look really highlights the stock rims and makes them look even bigger then they did before.

Other then that, my only complaint about the care is the annoying squeek I hear behind me when I am driving. The dealer didn't fix it when I took it in for its first oil change, though they marked that they tighted up the lamp behind the sunroof. It sounds like the 'windows' on envelopes when they rub on something else. It's extremely annoying. Other then that I _LOVE_ my car. Looks great, sounds great, drives great, IS great.
Man I wat all of those mods, but still debating the exhaust.... I heard they were loud inside....
Old 08-19-2001, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: I love comptech!

I don't think it's that loud. It's not a whine like rice rockets, it's a pretty throaty sound though it doesn't compare to an American V8 with Flowmasters as far as sound goes. When you are cruising you barely hear anything, it's when you're pressing the gas (especially medium load in a tall gear, that seems to make the most noise) that you hear it. It also think it improves the exterior looks (full chrome muffler, not just the tips). It was money well spent for me.

Keith
Old 08-19-2001, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

In my opinion the comptech exhaust is a little to big. I prefer the mugen because it is closer in size to the stock exhaust. For about twice as much $ how does it's performance and sound compare to the comtech?

BTW has anyone considered getting the mugen sport suspension for $1500?
Old 08-20-2001, 04:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Keith,

Congrats on the mods

May i ask a question ?
Why wouldn't you buy the parts from this site and have Comptech do the install ?

1.) It would costs you less and you wouldn't pay sales tax on the parts
2.) You would support this site

This site is runned and pay for my members support
Old 08-20-2001, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb Re: I love comptech!

I don't think it's that loud. It's not a whine like rice rockets, it's a pretty throaty sound though it doesn't compare to an American V8 with Flowmasters as far as sound goes. When you are cruising you barely hear anything, it's when you're pressing the gas (especially medium load in a tall gear, that seems to make the most noise) that you hear it. It also think it improves the exterior looks (full chrome muffler, not just the tips). It was money well spent for me.

Keith
Well put.... I installed the exhaust this weekend and man, what a sweet sound!! You can hear it when the car is at idle and when you accelerate, but when you're just cruising (which I do for 95% of my 70 mile round trip commute) you can barely hear them. I also agree with Keith about the looks... makes it look 100x better then stock.

ferrari527 - the exhaust look big out of the box, but on the car, they're actually not too much bigger then stock. IMO, the Mugen's are a waste of $$. The CompTech are almost 1/2 the price and look sweet.....
Old 08-20-2001, 11:21 AM
Advanced

I was actually going to order the parts online, but the overall pricing would be the same whether or not I would have to deal with getting the parts shipped to me and over to the autoshop or directly to the place I had the work done. He (the independent Honda/Acura place where I got the parts installed) was also fine tuning his relationship with CompTech so he really wanted to do it himself. His labor prices were far below what the Acura dealership wanted to charge, and the parts prices were more reasonable.

However, I do plan on buying some more accessories from the website in the next couple of weeks, so don't worry. I realize this is member supported, and I greatly appreciate the service that you offer.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the comptech exaust is awesome really makes the car look sharper from the behind...specialy when its shined...lol~~

but i would really like to see an exaust system that fits into the bumper it would look cool...
Old 08-20-2001, 07:58 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ferrari 527=

The PlayStation addition is hilarious. It's the only reason I'm kicking myself for not getting NAVI (I like maps and generally dont get lost!)

Self installation is not for the weak hearted. A guy down the street thought he could install his radar detector on his own using instructions someone gave him off the internet!

He told me it cost him nearly 2 grand to get it fixed, and another 250 to get it installed, this time by someone who knew what he was doing
Old 08-20-2001, 08:09 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I have to pay taxes.....get out of my state... J/K. Anything to support the site I mean (Huge house with pool, 5 cars, plasma HDTV) Opps it slip out.
We love you Tim, best service and support(throught this site).

Originally posted by snook789
Keith,

Congrats on the mods

May i ask a question ?
Why wouldn't you buy the parts from this site and have Comptech do the install ?

1.) It would costs you less and you wouldn't pay sales tax on the parts
2.) You would support this site

This site is runned and pay for my members support
Old 08-21-2001, 01:32 AM
Type SSS

Hey Trippin555,

Do you feel the difference in performace after adding the Comptech Headers & Exhaust. Especially in terms of Power and Speed?

How big of difference do you feel?

Are you planning on going to track to time the performance?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on getting headers also. I already have Comptech Exhaust.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:33 AM
Advanced

Talking

I have actually never been to the track, but maybe I can get out to a track sometime soon and see what sort of numbers I am running (I'd really like to know). But to answer your question, I can absolutely feel a difference in the car with the headers and exhaust. Not only is the note coming from the exhaust great (I am not sure how much of this is the new mufflers and hot much is the new headers, but combined they are great!), but the difference in power is amazing above 4500rpms or so. When it hits VTEC range the thing ZIPs to the redline. My only problem is figuring out how to launch it on the stock rubber. I'll get new tires eventually, just sick of spending money on the car for now.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:41 AM
Type SSS

How much did it cost to install the headers?