I feel like I am cheating on my wife.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like I am cheating on my wife.

Ive had my TL-S for about 18 hours now and it is fantastic. I feel guilty I am having so much fun, I didnt think I could enjoy a car so much. I have never wanted or had a car that was fast before. $29,000 for this much fun is a steal.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:00 PM
On the way!

Re: I feel like I am cheating on my wife.

Originally posted by Rover Hater
Ive had my TL-S for about 18 hours now and it is fantastic. I feel guilty I am having so much fun, I didnt think I could enjoy a car so much. I have never wanted or had a car that was fast before. $29,000 for this much fun is a steal.
I know what you mean!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Racer

Def i got mine like 2 weeks ago and i enjoy driving it more then anything!!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Instructor

I wish I can marry my TL...
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup TL-S is defintitely a fun car to drive for the money.
I'm very glad that i bought it.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:37 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i suggest you all go seek some psycho-counseling.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Just agree and go away...

Wierd

I like my TL-S... really I do. But I would rather be having sex with my wife then driving it...

Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the clug, RoverHater! That will definitely be more fun to drive than your POS Rover .
Old 04-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Rock Star

better than a women u can push it hard and it doesnt beeach....
Old 04-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Instructor

With thr TL-S you only have to press that special button once to enter the the trunk.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I love when people who don't understand fast cars finally drive one hard and see why its so fun...not that our cars are fast, but they are a little above average in that department.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Instructor

I think I'll get flamed, as much as I like it,
I hate driving our TL-S, from the big steering wheel to the dumb steering (slow and understeer) with the very bad tires (I suspect it had a very soft sidewall). Oh did I mention the foot emergency brake? with no hand release?? It's the worst design, I think Ford Taurus had the same design for retired people...

Probably you will ask me why I bought the TL-S? My wife likes it, and she thinks with 260hp she can spank my ass, (Yes, I tried to explain to her what is power to weight ratio, but she still "thinks" she can pass every car if she wants.) uhhhhh, women...

On the bright side, it's still her car, and my wife doesn't like my driving ( I mean, the type of driving when I'm alone on my own car ). She intentionally not putting a radar detector on it, soooo, I just drive like granny.......

TL-S by no means is a fast car, well probably pretty fast on straight lines or highway. It could not be considered as Fast Car by just these two though.........

alright, flame me, fellows.......
Old 04-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by NSXDreamer
I hate driving our TL-S, from the big steering wheel to the dumb steering (slow and understeer) with the very bad tires (I suspect it had a very soft sidewall). Oh did I mention the foot emergency brake? with no hand release?? It's the worst design, I think Ford Taurus had the same design for retired people...

Probably you will ask me why I bought the TL-S? My wife likes it, and she thinks with 260hp she can spank my ass, (Yes, I tried to explain to her what is power to weight ratio, but she still "thinks" she can pass every car if she wants.) uhhhhh, women...

On the bright side, it's still her car, and my wife doesn't like my driving ( I mean, the type of driving when I'm alone on my own car ). She intentionally not putting a radar detector on it, soooo, I just drive like granny.......

TL-S by no means is a fast car, well probably pretty fast on straight lines or highway. It could not be considered as Fast Car by just these two though.........

You must be one of those people who always gets knocked around and owned by their wives. I can't believe you bought a car even though you didn't like it. And as far as I am concerned, the TLS is pretty fast because most of us don't drive around the tracks in circles and twisty roads everyday.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

My gf always says I love my car more than her. I can't disagree with her on that topic

Tatewaki
Old 04-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Instructor

vandy786 , my wife is like Tatewaki's gf , this is exactly why I "let" her buy TL-S, because that's what she wants, and by doing that, I could get my NSX later when I "clean up" my nasty driving record....

I don't get called NSX Dreamer for nothing. I'll do anything to get the car I wanted...
Old 04-05-2003, 07:54 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TLS I think is a pretty fast sedan. No one has illusions of it being a sports car!

I still love driving my car but I've gotten used to the speed to the point where I feel its OK but not fast. The next car I get will have to be faster but I still love the TLS!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro

Dude!! I don't even have a TL-S (got a 2K2 Maxima) but I KNOW you're way off base on this one.

Question: How many luxury-sport sedans (new) do you know of for well under $35G can even approach 150mph??? Answer: Only three - Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35 and Acura TL Type S.

Maybe coming from an NSX, its slow. But as far as sports sedans go, its one of the best in this price category. Idea: After you get your NSX (and have it for a while) tryout a ZO6 and then tell us how fast that NSX feels!
Old 04-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Drifting

Re: Wierd

Originally posted by LargeOne
I like my TL-S... really I do. But I would rather be having sex with my wife then driving it...

Just my 2 cents...

so have sex in the back on the tl...
Old 04-06-2003, 04:50 AM
Instructor

VQ35DE, thanks for pointing that out, I was wondering how many of you have guts to try the top speed and if that means anything to u and me at all...

Like I said, a fast car ( I don't care if it's a fast sedan, truck or sports car) have to be able to do well in every aspect performance wise, Accelertion, Braking, Handling, Cornering traction, and Probably add High Speed Stability.

a M3, M5, all AMG Benz, RS/S4, S6 are good example of Fast Sedan.
Yes TL-S had good value, and we could probably put aftermarket goodies and get the handling/cornering department fixed.

but my point is: Honda / Acura can make some fast cars like Integra R, Accord EuroR, S2000 and NSX. They should be able to make the TL-S better...

I didn't compare my TL-S with NSX, for god sake, I only have a 170hp accord myself. I love the TL-S engine and the 5 speed auto is light years better than my own car, but by no means that could qualify a fast car.... the top speed of 150 mph are probably because of the torquey engine with 5 gears, (so they can put the ratio relatively long).

One thing I have to agree though, it's a nice car and "it's pretty fast."

I guess I'm just too picky, but I'll never called the TL-S Fast car......

got_3.2? , I loved your idea, I'll let you know if I "did" that.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro

but my point is: Honda / Acura can make some fast cars like Integra R, Accord EuroR, S2000 and NSX. They should be able to make the TL-S better...
Stand by, its coming!!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Hey NSXDreamer,

The NSX is a nice-looking machine, but you could get a MUCH faster car for that kind of money if speed and handling is what you're so concerned with. Hell, you could get a Viper, Corvette, Porsche, or even Mustang SVO which will blow away the NSX for less $$$ (much less in the Corvette and Mustang case). For the $90,000 they want for the NSX I think they are crazy.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
I was really happy reading this tread today because everyone, well almost everyone, was saying good things about their TLS. I'm also a very happy TLS driver for 1 month (had a CLS for 3 yrs).

Then NSXdreamer put his 2 Cents in and kills the tread. You should buy your M3, M5 or NXS or whatever, but for a lease of $349 a month, what other cars give you so much for the price.

Any you are driving a 170hp Accord, please!!!!!!!!!! :flamer:
Old 04-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Instructor

I know I'm going to get flamed, but if anyone thinks he had a 260hp TL-S can spank my little accord ass, BRING IT ON... if you know someone in WA driving a TL-S, we could have some friendly race or testing. Please, No Highway speed chase or 1/4 mile contest (1.Seattle cops are nasty. 2. I'm pretty sure you can spank this way) I'm so confident that TL-S couldn't handle better than my car....

Please I'm not trying to say my car is fast, on the AV6 forum, my name is SlowV6, you get the idea. I have no problem of people called my car ricey or slow or anything...

I just don't like people bought the TL-S and think he is the king 0f the road.

I agree TL-S is a bargain... if not I won't have one sitting in my garage. but all i want to point out is that the TL-S is not too well around (in performance wise) right out from the dealership. To me, we have to spend at least 3-4k to complete it.

frainc , Thanks for the FLame You are the first one...

Puali, I could not agree with you telling me a viper and Mustang is a better handler than NSX, yes NSX is over-priced, but its mid-engine layout with aluminum body and frame assembled by hand is the reason. Corvette(not Z06) and Porsche996 N/A is not really a match with NSX, period. Also, the built quality and reliability issue is just what you expect from Honda. (Viper? Corvette? even Porsche?? Now I don't even want to mention Mustang here) Somewhat TL-S is a let down for us(for a honda product. but our topic is sports car, so I'm OT a little now......

$90,000 does sound crazy to me too... but if I have100k to spend, I still probably get one. ( OK, probably a 97-98 for 60k, and the rest to buy a TL-S for daily driver.) Now everyone's happy???

PS. Puali, I'm surprised you didn't mention Evolution and WRX but mention Mustang... I forgot to mention that too... but I'm glad that all the cars you listed are FAST.:smokin:
Old 04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
For ~$30,000, I don't think you can expect the TL-S to be a "very fast" car. I wouldn't expect it to be at least. Acura could have made the TL-S a better car, but I think the reason they didn't is because:

1) The "Type-S" was an afterthought on the CL/TL, neither car was really built with "Sport" in mind. They're both really built for smooth high speed highway cruising, and both do that really well.

2) Price! The TL-S is a good bargain, everyone will agree with that. If you want brembo brakes, tight cornering, etc etc, you're gonna have to spend more $$$$.

3) Again, the TL-S is not meant to be a "Sports Sedan". The TSX maybe targeted as a sports sedan, but the TL-S isn't. Acura may say that the TL is a sports sedan, but it isn't ... Its a touring car.

There is a decent amount of aftermarket support out there to make our cars faster though.

If you want a really fast car, you're going to have to spend more money, or give up some of the luxury included with Acuras. I don't doubt that if Honda wanted to, they could make a beast of a car. Look at what they've done with the S2000 on a 4 cylinder engine!

Personally, I think the TL-S is plenty fast. Its faster than the majority of cars on the road and it has ample power for highway merging or passing.

BTW NSXDreamer- I would also be very surprised if your 170hp Honda Accord (assuming it is a stock run of the mill accord), would be able to best the TL-S, even in twisties and assuming equal drivers. The Accord maybe lighter than the TL-S but it isn't considered a lightweight car by any means, and you can't easily makeup for a 90hp loss just by sheer weight (unless your accord is really a motorcycle) ... Not to mention the TL-S isn't horrid in handling, it just isn't up to snuff when compared with a true sports sedan, or a decent sports car. Perhaps you have an Accord with significant handling mods though.

I honestly love the car (my girlfriend also would say that she thinks I love the car more than her) ... But I'm not going to make it out to be something it isn't. If I *had* ~$50,000 or even ~$70,000 to drop on a car, I would be in an M3 or an M5. But I can't afford to drop that on a car. Hopefully next go-around

You want to talk about people who think they have fast cars... Its the people who drive those HUGE SUVs that weigh twice the weight of the TL-S, but have 300hp. I've seen a lot of people who think that their SUVs are fast... But they're not... not even close
Old 04-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Racer

NXSDreamer,

Your welcome for the flame, ha, ha.

By the way I don't think I'm king of the road with my TLS. I know of alot of other cars are faster and handle better. My son has a 2002 Chev. SLP SS. Now that car is really fast and it also handles well, but I would not buy a car like that.

I like the TLS because not only does it move out for a big car, I could also cruise all day long and get 30 MPG and enjoy the ride. For me the handling is fine.

On Long Island I don't have many good roads that could shake out a car. My hills and turns are going on to the exit ramp or entance of the parkways here.

If I had the money, then a BMW M5 will be choice of cars.

At least your wife has good taste, Ha, ha

Old 04-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

seems to me on every forum i visit, people love their cars. its kind of hard to spend dang near $30k and not like your car. i had a 740, loved the car until it started to break again and again, and i'll be darned if i'm going to drive it like a granny just so it doesn't break. enter the tl. i can drive ti like an idiot, when there's no traffic around of course, and not worry about it. heck i like it better than my si, but the tl belongs to the wifey and she says teh si is too stressing to drive so i don't get to drive it much, only on the weekends when we got to church or somewhere. its only my opinion that MY car is great. if i could afford a M5 or even a 540 i'd be one cocky bmw driving mother. now i'm just a cocky civic si driving dude and of course i'm cockier when i get to drive the tl
Old 04-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Instructor

:worship: LiQiCE , exactly my point... and by the way, yes, I have suspension mod... and tires..... Sparco Wheels and aftermarker seat... So I do have unfair advantage over the TL-S

You know I just LOVED you guys, I posted that to be actually a test of how people reacting to others in this forum... and at the end, we all talked nice to each other. Most importantly we accepting different points of view.

Like frainc said On Long Island I don't have many good roads that could shake out a car. My hills and turns are going on to the exit ramp or entance of the parkways here. I totally agree with that, I lived in Iowa for 3 months and I found myself was looking for corners to turn and couldn't. Compare to the wet twristy mountian roads in WA, the purpose of tuning/improving a car is very different.

Same thing happens like the Japanese Tohge ( Mountain road racing/ drifting ) could never be a hit in US. We just don't have the locations like that . A lot of places in Midwest/ East coast, they don't even have that kind of road surface and corners. In WA, even though we have a lot of hills and mountains, we can't do full out race and drifting either since there are too much blind corners, and if you ever "lost" control, IN Japan, you probably just fell into ditch or to the wall, In my home area, you could possible hitting somebody's bedroom...

I think I'm going to be retired from this thread, I just had too much fun... but I still want to say TL-S is NO FAST CAR.

I'll say it's a Powerful luxury Bargain.

Seems like everyone responded me do agree if they have the chance, they would like to have M5 I hope Honda/Acura do look at this site and do something about it. Honda, Make something that can really smash BMW... You prove that with S2000. Now Next target: M5...
I drove TSX and it's no BMW fighter but it's cheaper and have a good looking dash.
Oh did I mention keeping the M5 eater under 40k??? WE'll all line up for it.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Racer

Before you go NXSDreamer, how about a TLS with AWD and about 300hp.

That can't be all bad now, would it.

Hope Acura reads this
Old 04-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Instructor

NSXDreamer - first of all, I want to agree with you somewhat about some of the delusional people here who are comparing the TL-S to cars like the M3 (performance-wise). The TL-S does not compete with these cars and was not intended to. It is an entry-level luxury sedan that has better than average sedan performance.

That said, I don't know what you are talking about with the TL-S not being able to outrun or outhandle your Accord, if it is anything close to stock. The TL-S will bury any non-modified Accord. The handling on a modded Accord may have a slight edge, but that alone will not make up for it's family sedan-oriented nature. If you have extensively modified your Accord then you might have a chance, but you haven't indicated the level of modding that you have done to it.

Puali, I could not agree with you telling me a viper and Mustang is a better handler than NSX, yes NSX is over-priced, but its mid-engine layout with aluminum body and frame assembled by hand is the reason. Corvette(not Z06) and Porsche996 N/A is not really a match with NSX, period.
Of course the Mustang is not a better handling car than the NSX, but the $35,000 SVO will blow the NSX away off the line and the handling is adequate for all but the most serious drivers. You're correct that the SVO interior is beyond crappy compared to the NSX, but Honda ought to be embarassed for pricing the NSX this high when it can be blown off the line by a silly Mustang SVO.
The Corvette (yes, the Z06 I was talking about) has it all over the NSX for 2/3 the price. The NSX's six banger just cannot compete with the Vette's 8 cylinder HP and I suspect the handling is close enough to the NSX's handling that only a pro driver would be able to drive them hard enough to tell the difference.
Additionally, I don't know what you mean the the Porsche is "not really a match with the NSX". How can they not be a match? They have similar performance but there are several Porsche models that are considerably cheaper. The handling quirks of the 911 family are well-known but are still appreciated by people that know how to drive them correctly. My point is that there are many better, much better, choices than the NSX. Your fixation on the NSX serves to discredit your opinions on performance issues. It is overpriced and no serious driver who values performance over all else would spend his hard-earned cash on one.

PS. Puali, I'm surprised you didn't mention Evolution and WRX but mention Mustang... I forgot to mention that too... but I'm glad that all the cars you listed are FAST.
Why are you surprised? The Evo and the WRX cannot match the acceleration performance of the NSX but the Mustang can (and even surpass it). You make no sense here.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Re: Wierd

Originally posted by LargeOne

Just my 2 cents...

Better yet... Have sex with your wife in the TLS.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Instructor

svo = svt?
Old 04-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Instructor

um yea u guys go get him haha...i have a 03 tlp and i love it and wouldnt trade it for nething except a tls..