I don't get it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 06:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I don't get it...

To me, all the fixed up ricer cars look soo nasty that u couldn't pay me to be seen in it. I just don't get why people do what they do to their cars. Do they do it cuz they think other people think it's cool? Why?

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1000x Fogs, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 12-13-2000, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's just that everyone has their own opinion on what they like and what they think looks good. Many, people think differently about our own TL's but we still love it.

Anything someone does to their car is based on their opinion as to what looks good, and everyone has their own style. Some may not aways suit yours and yours may not aways suit thiers.

I dont usually care what others do and what they do to their car. I may comment on it but I wouldn't get frustrated or angry over it.

Just my take.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Comptech Exaust
Rear Comptech Sway bar
Old 12-13-2000, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by PhiTL:
I dont usually care what others do and what they do to their car. I may comment on it but I wouldn't get frustrated or angry over it.
I agree with PhiTL. I make fun of ricers and destroy their cars when racing, but I don't get angry or upset about what they think looks good. The only thing I hate about some ricers is when they take a little 4 cylinder honda and put an exhaust so loud on it that that it hurts me to sit next to when they're revving the $hit out of it. Don't usually have to deal with that too much since I'm GONE as soon as the light changes. :0

------------------

2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Ebony Interior
20% Tint, No Mods, Just Insanely Clean
Visit my 3.2TL Gallery
Old 12-13-2000, 09:20 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bobatimez:
To me, all the fixed up ricer cars look soo nasty that u couldn't pay me to be seen in it. I just don't get why people do what they do to their cars. Do they do it cuz they think other people think it's cool? Why?
It's clearly a matter of personal taste.

I would never even put on side skirts or a (ulp...) spoiler. I think even those things make our $30k car look like a $18k wannabe.

Now, those CL-S wheels look pretty nice - subtle and "stock" - and I could imagine going for those. But ultimately, I'm strongly biased towards a totally stock look. I think it's the classiest way to go.

I've been around long enough to see that these customizations come and go in clear trends. So, yeah, people do it cuz they think it will make their cars look cool, to themselves and others. It used to be racing stripes, a jacked-up rear end and mag wheels. Right now, it's soup-can exhausts, radical lowering, enormous wheel diameter, and cladding up the wazoo. Almost all of it looks ridiculous to me.

Obviously, many of you guys would disagree...

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 12-13-2000, 10:04 AM
Pro

Ultimately, it is personal choice. Where I grew up, lowriders were a big thing, yet I always thought of them as really disgusting and would never do that to may car. But then I realized it was just their personal (and group) taste, and that I while i was rather discusted but the outcome, I really respected the fact that they care about their cars, like we do, and do everything to take care of them. (unlike a few folks who leave their car dirty and never service it..no THAT bugs me) Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2000, 10:10 AM
Instructor

I agree with YU888. I am more confused by people who have no respect for their cars then those that modify them in ways I would never consider. As most of the people have said modifying your car is all a matter of personal taste. Sometimes when I see a heavily modified car I think that the person has gone way over board, but if I look at it closely I can usual find some parts of it that I like and would consider doing to a car of my own.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill,
Looking for 18s, Scratch that
I'm getting a TL-S
Old 12-13-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro

Originally posted by black2000:
Now, those CL-S wheels look pretty nice - subtle and "stock" - and I could imagine going for those. But ultimately, I'm strongly biased towards a totally stock look. I think it's the classiest way to go.
I also toyed with the idea of switching my TL's wheels with the front wheels of the NSX - again with the intention of going for an "Acura" wheel as opposed to an "aftermarket" wheel. But since they did not fit perfectly, I decided to retain the stock wheels of the TL....I too like the "stock" look since in the circles I move around, we really like the cars "stock"...of course, I have put on better tires on my TL but that does not count I guess...

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 12-13-2000, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by black2000:
It's clearly a matter of personal taste.

I would never even put on side skirts or a (ulp...) spoiler. I think even those things make our $30k car look like a $18k wannabe.

I've been around long enough to see that these customizations come and go in clear trends. So, yeah, people do it cuz they think it will make their cars look cool, to themselves and others. It used to be racing stripes, a jacked-up rear end and mag wheels. Right now, it's soup-can exhausts, radical lowering, enormous wheel diameter, and cladding up the wazoo. Almost all of it looks ridiculous to me.

Obviously, many of you guys would disagree...

Ohhh man, you've really gone and done it now!! j/k
Old 12-13-2000, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

It's the soup can exhausts I don't get. Tiny performance gain, bumblebee sound.

At least imports are now respected, unlike a couple of decades ago. Heck, the Lexus is considered by many to be the best now! Too bad Honda, who started the import upscale marque thing, got beat at their own game by Toyota. At least going with the "runner-up" in perception saved me maybe $5-7K over the cost of an ES300, which is the closest competitor. Hey, I like the TL more, so I'm lucky.

Any predictions on what the next big thing will be for modifying cars?

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-13-2000, 10:52 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Originally posted by hunter001:
I also toyed with the idea of switching my TL's wheels with the front wheels of the NSX - again with the intention of going for an "Acura" wheel as opposed to an "aftermarket" wheel. But since they did not fit perfectly, I decided to retain the stock wheels of the TL....I too like the "stock" look since in the circles I move around, we really like the cars "stock"...of course, I have put on better tires on my TL but that does not count I guess...
Its good to hear other people stand up for the more stock look. I did the same w/ the tires (b/c the stock ones were Sh!t),tint the windows (mildly), & the large ClearBra, b/c of all the gravel put on the roads during the winter. The y2k Tl is such a CLASSY looking car, all by itself!! Prob. won't do anymore, except wheels maybe.( No offence to the heavyly modded guys)

Old 12-13-2000, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Why would you pour a bunch of money into something that depreciates from day one? Also, if your going to spend all that money trying to make your car look better and go faster, why dont you just buy a fast, bad-ass looking car to begin with? Just my opinion.

------------------

2000 TL-SILVER
YAKIMA ROOF RACKS
Old 12-13-2000, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

i agree with you guys to some degree. i do like all the mods that are done to the TL b/c hey, if youre able to, then **** it, do it. i think some souped up TL's on this board look good. what i dont understand is that you will most likely upgrade to a better car or sell the car in a couple years and all those mods dont really add value to the car on resell. also, God forbid one of you guys get into an accident...if its a bad one thats not worth fizing up, then all that money and time is down the drain. anyway, to each his own...
Old 12-13-2000, 11:40 PM
Drifting

It's all about personal preference.

Whether you approve or disapprove has nothing to do with how they mod their cars.

While you are proud of how you THINK your car looks TL-S, there might be those that think you are wasting your $$ making your car look OEM. (I personally like the OEM look.)

Really... it's all about your taste. If everyone had the same taste, it will be a scary world.

------------------
Y2K silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo 225/40/18
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-13-2000, 11:54 PM
Drifting

Personally I have no problem with people modding their car to look nice. I don't think there is anything wrong with dropping your car, tossing on some nice rims, tinting your windows,and getting a body kit. You shouldn't have to have a 12 second car to do it.

I have been to ricecop.com and some other sites where they show pictures of cars that they consider "ricey". I have to admit that some of these cars are a bit overboard, especially on stickers.

However, I believe that if you can mod your car and make it look nice then there is nothing wrong with that. If your car looks nice then f*ck everyone else. However, don't go around pretending you are fast and race any car you can find. If you truly are fast go for it. But if you mod to make your car look nice then at least know your place in the street racing world.

Don't get me wrong, some of these cars do not look nice because they have gone to far in what they have done to their car, but I know people who have modded thier imports and the cars are tasteful and look nice, which I believe is all that matters.

Thats my word.

Peace
Old 12-14-2000, 04:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Silver TL, I usually try not to take offenseive,m but OUCH. Yes, very correct about all of that. For u people, however, how do not like the dirty car look, In LA, most fixed up cars are missing bumper, rim, panel, paintjob and look like it was just stolen. It's suped up AND DIRTY.

I was talking about people who follow trends. I'm not upset, but I think, just like in grade school, that people shouldn't let the masses tell them what to do (ie: exhausts that make noise, fake steam sounding shifter, etc.)

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1000x Fogs, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 12-14-2000, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Jus do wat u wanna do. Itz not to pleez others jus to pleez yourself and make yourself feel better when driveen your car... itz like buying a new jacket.