I blew a HID buld

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 12:11 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I blew a HID buld

I just got home and I usually leave my lights on so whenever I unlock the car I can see my HID's turn on and right now i got home and unlocked my car to see them turn on and the passenger side turned on fine and the driver side turned on real dull then went to the way they always are then started diming to a reddish color I feel like dying and was wondering how much the bulbs are from acura and should i get one or two just incase the passenger side blows on me also im so mad theres always somthing wrong with the car its either the motormounts, tires (major camber prob.), body kit paint flaking etc. aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh

sorry for the long post.

just venting
Old 12-27-2001, 12:17 AM
Comptech Freak

Unhappy

uh-oh....
that will cost u 170 bucks EACH as listed at this site...

xenon lamps are very expensive but they are very durable...should last a lot longer than halogen lamps...
Old 12-27-2001, 12:37 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa....red color? that's so evil looking. :p Did you turn it off once you saw the color change?
Old 12-27-2001, 12:39 AM
Advanced

get both replaced because the newer one will not be as blue as the old one untill it has got past 100 hrs. Or get the 6000k Ultinon HID's
Old 12-27-2001, 07:42 AM
Pro

Re: I blew a HID buld

Originally posted by slammed99TL
should i get one or two just incase the passenger side blows on me also im so mad theres always somthing wrong with the car its either the motormounts, tires (major camber prob.), body kit paint flaking etc. aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh
At $170 ea. I'ld just replace the blown light. I'm surprized to hear you're having problems with the motor mounts, they shouldn't be wearing out already. Major camber problem is caused by the coilovers, you need to get camber kits so it can be aligned correctly. Body kit flaking is from not prepping the material correctly before painting. Take it back to whoever painted it and see if they'll guaranty their work.

Good Luck.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:12 AM
Pro

See if the bulbs are under the factory warrenty .
Old 12-27-2001, 08:16 AM
Instructor

they should be under warranty because they should last the life of the car. i think even the regular signal and halogen bulbs are under warranty for the warranty period of the car, except those are so minor most people w/ some knowledge of changing bulbs don't bother taking it to the dealer to get replaced.

and they are not supposed to be a servicable item (by you), so you are "supposed" to have a dealer fix it. whether you do or not is up to you, but for $170, i'd get a replacement under warranty...and if they don't match, complain and get both replaced.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:41 AM
Drifting

what do you want to bet that if he asks the dealer to warranty it they'll say no because he cleared his headlights....

I'm a pesimist I guess
Old 12-27-2001, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Acura3200
what do you want to bet that if he asks the dealer to warranty it they'll say no because he cleared his headlights....

I'm a pesimist I guess
ooh, didn't think of that.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:19 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by dean078
they should be under warranty because they should last the life of the car.
Life Time??? Really???
Didn't think so...
Old 12-27-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro

Originally posted by dean078
they should be under warranty because they should last the life of the car. i think even the regular signal and halogen bulbs are under warranty for the warranty period of the car

and they are not supposed to be a servicable item (by you), so you are "supposed" to have a dealer fix it.
Bulbs are not designed to last the life of the car and would not be covered under warranty. Covering all the bulbs would be like saying worn wiper blades and brake pads were covered under warranty, they're all items that wear out.

The owners manual recomends having the bulbs replaced at the dealer to prevent electrocuting yourself. The transformers powering the HID's store electricity even when they're not turned on.

The cleared lights could have resulted in premature failure of the bulbs. If any grease or fingerprints got on the bulbs while clearing the lights that would cause them to burn out.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:49 PM
Drifting

HID bulbs are warrantied under your regular foctory warranty for the TL as far as I know.

HID bulbs are not like halogen bulbs--they don't have a filament to break. If an HID bulb is used with a well-designed driver circuit, it should last well over 10 years of regular use.

BTW, fingerprints on the HID bulbs won't just make the bulb "glow". It will crack the bulb housing open!
Old 12-27-2001, 02:19 PM
Instructor

bmw covers everything under the warranty including wipers, i thought the acura warranty was similar except for the free oil changes.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by songoku

Life Time??? Really???
Didn't think so...
i like the reasons you gave to support yourself there, buddy.

the hid bulbs are supposed to last the life of the car. but a clutch on a manual tranny car is supposed to last the life of the car also. i'm not saying they are covered for the life of the car, but they are covered for the warranty period as long as they weren't messed with.

non-hid bulbs are not normal wear and tear items like wipers or tires. has anyone actually gone to a dealership to try to get their burned out bulbs covered under warranty? probably not...but if not then how can you say they aren't covered just because you didn't go? they do burn out, but they should at least last 4 years. i had my previous car for 5 years and didn't replace 1 bulb on it. so they should last the life of the warranty and do not "wear or tear" as some of you put it in 4 years.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 99WDP

Bulbs are not designed to last the life of the car and would not be covered under warranty. Covering all the bulbs would be like saying worn wiper blades and brake pads were covered under warranty, they're all items that wear out.

that's where you're forgetting the warranty is only 4 years. under moderate driving and your brake pads wear to a point where they have to be replaced under 4 years, it's premature. i just got my wiper blades replaced because they were worn and i had my car 2 years. they replaced it for premature wear.

if your any of your bulbs burn out within 4 years, it's premature. and premature "wearing" or whatever you want to call it is covered by the warranty. unless there's something wrong with the electrical system, or you turn your lights on and off a thousand times a day for everyday, your bulbs should last at least 4 years under normal use.

but this point is moot anyway 'cuz no one would bother with going to a dealer for a $2 bulb replacement.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
I'd pass on the idea of leaving the lights on when you turn the car off, then see it turn on when you unlock your doors. The reason being it gets into a "not completely warmed up" state then turn off if you don't enter your car.

As for your camber and tire problem, you are the one who caused the problem. You are bound to have camber problem with a coilover setup and it should be corrected with a camber kit, then with a proper alignment. Afterall, you have your "slammed99TL" name. A slammed car is not meant to be driven daily on the streets. The potential damage of a super low car is beyond just your tires, but also your undercarriage, oil pan, exhaust manifold, mufflers, b-pipe, increased suspension strain that might damage wheel bearings, axle, and transmission.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by t-rd
I'd pass on the idea of leaving the lights on when you turn the car off, then see it turn on when you unlock your doors. The reason being it gets into a "not completely warmed up" state then turn off if you don't enter your car.
Another reason this isn't good is because if you don't turn them off before you start the car, you're putting an unnecessary strain on the battery. Batteries do some serious work to crank over an engine when you start. If you have the headlights on (especially the HIDs), that's an additional current draw the battery has to maintain in addition to trying to crank the engine. If you live in an area where the temperature drops below, say 40F, on a regular basis, this makes it that much worse. Trying to crank over an engine with the headlights on in 0F weather is a sure way to kill a battery.

Also, if you notice when you start a car with the headlights on, they dim while the engine cranks. This is because of the load the engine creates on the battery. The battery can't power the lights on its own at full voltage while it is cranking. If you have your HIDs on while cranking you are also starving them for voltage. It might only be a little bit but HIDs are much more sensitive to voltage drops than filament bulbs. You need to maintain a certain voltage level to exicte the xenon gas in the tube. Causing unnecessary fluctuations in voltage (especially fast transient fluctuations--last less than 2 seconds) can't be good for bulb or inverter life.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:32 AM
Pro

I am going to acura first thing tomorrow to let them look at it. I dont know exactly what has happened to the light. now instead of it staying reddish-orange it just turns off after a couple of seconds of them beign reddish-orange. One of my friends says it's the ballast and another says it's the bulb. I dont know I hope it's just the bulb. Anyways, how much does the ballast go for. Also is it possible to put aftermarket HID's because if it turns out to be real expensive I can get badass HID'S for cheap.

and forget about the warranty my car has 69,898 miles

T-RD: I drive the car alll the way up on the coil-overs which is like a 2 1/2 - 3 inch drop the only reason my name is slammed99tl is because the NEX coil-overs go low really low.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:58 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

a 2.5-3 inch drop is still excessive for a daily driven car on stock shocks and no camber kit.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:05 PM
Pro

TURBOMIKEY: I am not on stock shocks I have the NEX complete coilovers the car rides great and barely bounces theres nothing I can do about the camber except for getting a camber kit from ingalls which I heard will not work properly. So, unless theres another company out there that sells the front camber kit that works as it should then im stuck and there aint no way in hell im taking my car to miami chassis for them to start bending stuff.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by slammed99TL
and forget about the warranty my car has 69,898 miles
Oops! Never mind about the warranty then.