How many people flash their brights at you? A NEW GAME!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many people flash their brights at you? A NEW GAME!

I love the HIDs on the Type S. And you know what i love more. Stupid people who flash their brights at me thinking ive got my brights on! (sure i know im blinding them, but oh well)

The most fun part about it is this, REALLY flashing your brights at them when they flash you! YOu know their thinking to themselves:

*Geez, this idiots got his brights on, let me flash him* (i turn on my brights now) *OH MY GOD!!! WTF! I CANT SEE THE ROAD!!! ARRRRGGHHHH!*

:p

I recently went on a road trip from Memphis to Gatlinburg, Tn and drove at night and early morning. In all, i counted 15 people that flashed their brights at me. I think i drove the whole time with my left hand on the light stock just waiting to blind some idiot who thinks i had my brights on. WHat fun!
Old 01-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Super Troll

i get that a lot too... but i also adjusted my headlights to aim a little higher then every one else... i also blind my own guys at the TL meets when we drive home at night ...
Old 01-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Racer

People flash me all the time, most of the time i just flash back to let them know that my brights are not on. But every once in awhile some clown decides to lock his high beams on, so i return the favor

-AJ
Old 01-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Your not really blinding them, I have driven past TL-S's coming the other direction, I prefer the light they through, its less harsh than standard headlights. I guess I'm one of the few who's bowels don't suddenly let down due to a different color of light...

Thats another reason I am considering the silverstar high beam replacement...a little brighter...slam those pupils shut a little harder...
Old 01-25-2002, 10:28 AM
Banned

I've had the car since May 2001 and I've been flashed a total of three times. And I even adjusted mine *up* since I got the car because they were way too low. Now they are to spec and I have no problems.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro

Ive had about 5 people flash their brights at me. And then when i flash mine back, i think that shuts em up.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I just think you guys enjoy flashing people. hmm..
Old 01-25-2002, 01:27 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have alot of ppl flash at me, too... usually a quick flash, but again, some A$$Hole would lock their high beam on.... ARG... that's really annoying....they must thought I flash them with my foglights... LOL

Andy Kuo
Old 01-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Instructor

I think so far ive had about 20 people flash me.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Super Troll

thats evil.... ... where can i get them....

Originally posted by bricot
considering the silverstar high beam replacement...a little brighter...slam those pupils shut a little harder...
Old 01-25-2002, 03:25 PM
jbn
Instructor

I have at least one person a night flash me. I always flash them back . The idiots who lock them on really annoy me!!!
Old 01-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Every time I drive in the dark (most days), I get flashed. I also always have my fogs on, so combined with the HID, most morons assume you have you're high beams on. However as stated earlier in this thread, if they do flash me I flash them back, and if they don't turn off their high beams I keep mine on probably blinding the **** out of them.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Gee Imagine the people who drive the new A6's, they have HID's in the low and High beam!!!!! When they flash people it must be like looking directly into a nuclear explosion:p Those things can light up the road for 1300ft with the high beams on
Old 01-25-2002, 04:36 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 6000k bulbs and i have them aimed higher than usual. I have seen one person pull over to let me pass because the lights were so bright and they drove behind me with their brights on. Then i pulled over and they passed and i drove with my regular headlights and then put my highbeams on.. they went nust and turned on a street. I get high beamed all the time, what i do is high bema them back and they go nuts thinking.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man these people who think we have our highbeams on are idiots. If you ever look at the actual light beam of our cars, they are an obvious clean beam aiming down towards the ground. We can clearly see where the light beam ends towards the upper part of the beam, and as long as we have the lights aimed correctly, it doesn't even come close to shinning into the drivers direct view of on-coming traffic. Unless driveways and hills are involved.

The problem is how these "insects" I'll call them, are mesmerized by the clean white light and actually stare into our lights It attracts them, similar to how insects are attracted to light at dusk. Thank goodness they don't drive in circles around the lights like insects do when they fly around lights at night in circles mistaking it for the sun and using it as a guide. <run-on sentence

You guys ever notice that? Insects mistake the "artificial" lights at night for the sun. They use the light of the sun as a "compass" if you will, to help them navigate to where ever there going too. Similar behavior to some drivers out there
Old 01-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Yup, I posted on this subject

awhile back, and just a few days ago I tried a test. I drove the same 2 lane road at night going home with and witout foglights on. Without the foglights on I got flashed about 10 times and with the foglights on I got flashed 3 times. So in essecnce I have to blind people even more for them to stop flashing me.
I hate those idiots too that let you pass them and then they hit their high beams on you. I've slowed down before and aligned my car with them...I showed them my normal lights and flicked on my highs. That shuts up the majority...the others I don't even bother and just drop it into third and take off.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:04 PM
O.G.

I got flashed so many times that I lost count.

Ahh...the beauty of HIDs.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Racer

How come I never got flashed? Maybe this is a COUNTRY thing?
Old 01-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
To the guys who raised their HIDs higher, if you are getting highbeamed alot, you are probably blinding the hell out of oncoming traffic. They may not be your highs, but if aimed too high they would be just as blinding. How many times have you been driving at night and seen cars with out of whack headlights, one really out of alignment compared to the other? How happy are you when those guys are driving towards or behind you??
Worse they blind you even further by giving you their highs. Just take that into consideration.

Also a too high headlight will light up the road worse than a normally adjusted headlight, so whats the point?
Old 01-25-2002, 08:06 PM
No, you are a dork.

do we have HID's on low beam or high beam or both?

thanks,

d
Old 01-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Racer

I actually had a cop flash me about a month ago.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Can't people tell that the lights are not just high beam halogens? I mean, the HIDs have a bluish hue to them so people must know that the lights are different.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by daryl.com

thanks,

d
we only have hid for low beams. high beams are just normal halogen
Old 01-26-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro

Originally posted by bebber
I just think you guys enjoy flashing people. hmm..
I usually like to streak

Ohhh .... you're talking about headlights :o
Old 01-26-2002, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by daryl.com
Just the low beams.

I noticed that my HIDs were aimed too low from the factory. Raising the aim just a tad improved my visibility fivefold.

Here's a good rule of thumb for vertically aiming headlights: If you stop behind a car at a stoplight and the top edge of the bright part of your headlight pattern is hitting anything higher than halfway up the trunk of the car in front of you, your aim is way too high.

Please be considerate when aiming your HIDs. These puppies really are bright and they can annoy drivers on the road. Don't give HIDs a bad name! Aim your headlights correctly.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:14 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Originally posted by SybariticOne
I usually like to streak

Ohhh .... you're talking about headlights :o
HAHAHA!! how funnie.....anyways

wow..i don't think i'll ever run into this problem here in South Cali much....My area is flooded with lux cars with HID's anyway...it's waaaaaaaay normal..
Old 01-26-2002, 02:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

try to go between san jose and los angeles and you can see people flashing you, ray
Old 01-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Banned

That happens to me all the time!!! I always have to flash them back...but I have the Solaris 9005 highbeams heh heh heh.

bricot:
"Your not really blinding them, I have driven past TL-S's coming the other direction, I prefer the light they through, its less harsh than standard headlights."

I totally agree with that...I prefer the light for some reason...halogen is just rough! And about switching your highbeams out...I would STRONGLY suggest you get solaris 9005's instead. They are a better color match, and are MUCH brighter (jyang411, who lives across the street from me, has Hyperwhite fogs, which are a better color match than my Silverstars to the HID, and he has the Silvestar highbeams while I have the Solaris 9005, and mine are SO much brighter than his). They're I believe $20 more to get the Solaris 9005, but there is such an improvement, even over Silverstars...which I don't think any longer are all that good

Austin519
Old 01-26-2002, 04:48 AM
Banned

enderwiggins:
By the way...nice name...I've read em all and love em...Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide...all of em. You like Card's other stuff too?

Austin519
Old 01-27-2002, 01:31 AM
Racer

Originally posted by AJay
People flash me all the time, most of the time i just flash back to let them know that my brights are not on. But every once in awhile some clown decides to lock his high beams on, so i return the favor

-AJ
I got the same thing from some moron who lock their high beams just because my HID and I did the same thing back to them as well.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Tonight a Mercedes with HID and I were stopped at opposing sides of a traffic intersection. The guy flashes me thinking that my high beams are on. I flash him back showing him that they're not. He flashes me back a second time. I flash back a couple more times before doing a burnout when the light turned green.

Surprising that a driver who has HID himself and has undoubtedly been flashed by others would be so ignorant and flash other HID equipped cars. Maybe Acura HIDs are brighter than the Mercedes ones?
Old 01-27-2002, 03:15 AM
Instructor

I believe acura HIDs are brighter then mercedes. However I have never been flashed more then when driving a BMW. There lights are the best IMHO. I also read in the paper where people where complaining about HIDs blinding them. And there was talk about legislature doing something about it, so the people who you enjoy blinding may be the same ones who enjoy doing away with your HIDs!! BTW I love my headlights and sylvania fogs!!
Old 01-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by BLUBYU
I also read in the paper where people where complaining about HIDs blinding them.
Remember that people used to complain about halogens when they first became popular because they were brighter than incandescents.

People tend to stare at new headlights because they're different. Rule #1 when driving at night: never stare at bright lights. No wonder they're blinded!
Old 01-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you stop behind a car at a stoplight and the top edge of the bright part of your headlight pattern is hitting anything higher than halfway up the trunk of the car in front of you, your aim is way too high.
daverman,

After lowering my car, I used your instructions from a previous thread to re-aim my headlights, but I'm afraid they might be a little too high now. Is there any way you could take a measurement and tell me how high your light pattern is (the sweet spot in particular) when parked ~25 ft. or so from a wall, that would be REALLY helpful.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: How many people flash their brights at you? A NEW GAME!

Originally posted by enderwiggins
I love the HIDs on the Type S. And you know what i love more. Stupid people who flash their brights at me thinking ive got my brights on! (sure i know im blinding them, but oh well)

The most fun part about it is this, REALLY flashing your brights at them when they flash you! YOu know their thinking to themselves:

*Geez, this idiots got his brights on, let me flash him* (i turn on my brights now) *OH MY GOD!!! WTF! I CANT SEE THE ROAD!!! ARRRRGGHHHH!*

:p

I recently went on a road trip from Memphis to Gatlinburg, Tn and drove at night and early morning. In all, i counted 15 people that flashed their brights at me. I think i drove the whole time with my left hand on the light stock just waiting to blind some idiot who thinks i had my brights on. WHat fun!
I agree completely. I think to myself "You wanna piece-uh-me? Here, take that mo-fo (as I flash my brights). I'm gonna burn a hole in your retinas you stupid f***" Sometimes, I'm an angry driver.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
I've had some chicks flash me as i drove by, does that count? I recently changed from comptech springs to H&R race so my car went from a rake to being level. It took me 2 weeks to aim my lights and let me tell you, people were pissed. I still get the occasional flash, but in return they get the piaa super whites, can you say staring at the sun.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jkozlow3
daverman,

After lowering my car, I used your instructions from a previous thread to re-aim my headlights, but I'm afraid they might be a little too high now. Is there any way you could take a measurement and tell me how high your light pattern is (the sweet spot in particular) when parked ~25 ft. or so from a wall, that would be REALLY helpful.

Thanks.
I can't really tell you cause I don't have a level driveway in sight!
Maybe someone can help.

The rule of thumb is that the brightest spot on your headlights should be 2 inches down from the bulb at 25 ft.

Check out this link for more info.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:57 PM

Re: How many people flash their brights at you? A NEW GAME!

Originally posted by enderwiggins

That was too funny
Old 01-28-2002, 12:18 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I completely forgot about having to adjust my headlights when I eventually slam my car. Thanks for the reminder, guys!
Old 01-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The rule of thumb is that the brightest spot on your headlights should be 2 inches down from the bulb at 25 ft.
Thanks daverman. I kind of already tried to adjust them like that, but it's not super easy. I'll get some chalk and a yardstick and try it again in my parking garage. Do you still think that I should be aiming the lights 2" below the physical center line even with the car lowered?

Quick Reply: How many people flash their brights at you? A NEW GAME!