how do you do headrest moniters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you do headrest moniters?

how have you guys managed to put the moniters into the headrests? and how would you hook it up to the existing audio system>? and also i want to get a ps2 in there how feezable is that?
Old 07-17-2004, 06:22 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, most of the guys paid to have ther headrest screens installed. Some of us were crafty enough to do it ourselves. When I did it, it was my first time, and it was a VERY slow process... You take it step by step, and be very careful.

The actual process goes something like this:

You have to decide if you want the shroud of the screen showing or not. This is important as it will decide how much leather you have to cut. I decided to show my shroud.

I basically popped a hole in the center of the headrest, and begain cutting the leather in an "X" pattern, slowly cutting back evenly and softly... Eventually the cuts were large enough i could fit the screen inside without tearing or anything. I had to take a lot of foam out of the headrest to get that damn thing in there...

Filler foam (like from a pillow) is great to touch up where maby too much foam was removed or whatever...

As for integrating it in to the existing audio system, you would have to install a DVD player somewhere of cource, then the video lines would obviously be no problem to run, but the audio would have the be rigged in to the factory head unit, VIA a switch or something... You could probably tap the low freq output between the HU and the EQ.

PS2 is no problem, I have one. All you need is a DC to AC inverter. They can be cheap, like $40-$60, which will give you 300ish watts in the trunk. Its up to you how you wire it up after that... Odds areyour screens or DVD reciever will have some sort of A/V input.

But dude, the money you would spend on all of this, I really hope you will spend the little extra more and get rid of the factory head unit!!!

-Shear
Old 07-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Banned

Darkshear what did you use to keep the monitors in (epoxy, hot glue ect), and also did you tuck the edges of the leather under the screen?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 AM
l33t

eheheh i kinda had to get creative to secure the screens...

There is a metal bar that runs through the headrest. So i zip tied the shroud to the metal bar

The leather is tucked under the shroud, not the screen. i wanted the shroud showing... if you didnt want the shroud showing, then you would tuck it under the screen.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:16 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-17-2004, 02:37 PM
All Hail the Chief

Best directions I've found so far. I tried 'em out on a set of practice monitors and the install went alot better than I expected. I'm installing the monitors into my headrests to save on the $150 installation, but I think I'm leaving the electrical stuff to the experts.

Courtesy of Austin:

Okay here's what I do. Basically go get yourself a thin metal plate from the hardware store or Home Depot. Stuff that they use for air ducts works well (the aluminum type stuff). Also get some tin snips, and some velcro. What you'll want to do is measure the screen to see how big the hole is that you need for your monitors. Now, make a rectangle template this size out of cardboard (not posterboard, you want the thing rigid like the screen so you cut it that way) and then cut about half an inch off all four sides of this template. Now you will hold the template up...center it how you want (do yourself a favor use a ruler and a wax type marker to get it right) and cut the pattern out with a very sharp exacto knife. I like to heat the thing with a hair dryer first to make it easier too. Don't worry TOO much about the cut being perfect but make it close. You will also need to remove a depth of the filling inside the headrest to accomodate the screen. Once you've done this test fit the screen...it should not go if but you can see it almost does. Good. You'll now probably have to cut out a little more filling on all four sides leaving an overhang of the vinyl of your headrests. Don't cut out too much filling! This stuff compresses and holds the screen in...cut out just enough to where you can cram the screen in (visualize it for now). Use your thumb to see how much it compresses. Now, you will want to cut diagonal cuts in each corner of the hole you cut out into the vinyl. These cuts will give you four trapezoidal shaped flaps for the vinyl. Do NOT cut these slits any larger than they need to be...go a very little at a time. These slits will allow you to use the extra vinyl to wrap into the hole for a clean surface mount, or to fold under itself for a clean flush mount where you don't see the edge of the vinyl. Once you've done this (test fitting the screen every little cut out of the stuffing or the vinyl you make), then you're ready to make the support. Use your metal (aluminum sheet) and cut out a piece of aluminum that's the same size as the hole horizontally and about 1.5 inches larger vertically. Cut 1" teeth into the metal sheet on the top and bottom only like so:
/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Once you'd done this, take your velcro patches, undo the adhesive on one size, stick it to the monitor's back (you can get it off later with a hair dryer or goo gone, don't worry), and peel off the other side. Align the metal sheet you just cut and press it onto the back. Now take it back off. The velcro should now be lined up. Now you'll insert that metal piece top or bottom first and work it back into the hole...pressing down hard with your hands on the filling so the teeth don't shred it. Get it back to where it needs to be for the screen and make sure the teeth are all set in (the hole again should only be as deep as the screen so it should be at the back). Now use a coathanger and a razor, and make a small incision at the bottom of the headrest where you want the wires to run to. If possible don't cut at all, but try to push the vinyl up by where the posts protrude. Use a coathanger or pencil to make a good sized hole from the location you chose into the main cavity you cut earlier. Then run your wires from the back of the screen into the cavity, down the hole, and out by the posts. Now insert the screen, pulling on the wires the hole time, until you feel the velcro, and press hard.

That should do it...now you will want to take the seat apart and either cut a hole by the plastic shrouded post acceptors or push the vinyl down enough to push wires through the same way.

Let me know how it goes,

Austin519
Old 12-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkshear
Well, most of the guys paid to have ther headrest screens installed. Some of us were crafty enough to do it ourselves. When I did it, it was my first time, and it was a VERY slow process... You take it step by step, and be very careful.

The actual process goes something like this:

You have to decide if you want the shroud of the screen showing or not. This is important as it will decide how much leather you have to cut. I decided to show my shroud.

I basically popped a hole in the center of the headrest, and begain cutting the leather in an "X" pattern, slowly cutting back evenly and softly... Eventually the cuts were large enough i could fit the screen inside without tearing or anything. I had to take a lot of foam out of the headrest to get that damn thing in there...

Filler foam (like from a pillow) is great to touch up where maby too much foam was removed or whatever...

As for integrating it in to the existing audio system, you would have to install a DVD player somewhere of cource, then the video lines would obviously be no problem to run, but the audio would have the be rigged in to the factory head unit, VIA a switch or something... You could probably tap the low freq output between the HU and the EQ.

PS2 is no problem, I have one. All you need is a DC to AC inverter. They can be cheap, like $40-$60, which will give you 300ish watts in the trunk. Its up to you how you wire it up after that... Odds areyour screens or DVD reciever will have some sort of A/V input.

But dude, the money you would spend on all of this, I really hope you will spend the little extra more and get rid of the factory head unit!!!

-Shear

i definatly would like to see pictures of this...
Old 12-18-2004, 10:31 AM
l33t

which part?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_tl
how have you guys managed to put the moniters into the headrests? and how would you hook it up to the existing audio system>? and also i want to get a ps2 in there how feezable is that?

there is somebody selling their tv headrests in the black market look for that.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:54 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JPritch
Best directions I've found so far. I tried 'em out on a set of practice monitors and the install went alot better than I expected. I'm installing the monitors into my headrests to save on the $150 installation, but I think I'm leaving the electrical stuff to the experts.

Courtesy of Austin:

Okay here's what I do. Basically go get yourself a thin metal plate from the hardware store or Home Depot. Stuff that they use for air ducts works well (the aluminum type stuff). Also get some tin snips, and some velcro. What you'll want to do is measure the screen to see how big the hole is that you need for your monitors. Now, make a rectangle template this size out of cardboard (not posterboard, you want the thing rigid like the screen so you cut it that way) and then cut about half an inch off all four sides of this template. Now you will hold the template up...center it how you want (do yourself a favor use a ruler and a wax type marker to get it right) and cut the pattern out with a very sharp exacto knife. I like to heat the thing with a hair dryer first to make it easier too. Don't worry TOO much about the cut being perfect but make it close. You will also need to remove a depth of the filling inside the headrest to accomodate the screen. Once you've done this test fit the screen...it should not go if but you can see it almost does. Good. You'll now probably have to cut out a little more filling on all four sides leaving an overhang of the vinyl of your headrests. Don't cut out too much filling! This stuff compresses and holds the screen in...cut out just enough to where you can cram the screen in (visualize it for now). Use your thumb to see how much it compresses. Now, you will want to cut diagonal cuts in each corner of the hole you cut out into the vinyl. These cuts will give you four trapezoidal shaped flaps for the vinyl. Do NOT cut these slits any larger than they need to be...go a very little at a time. These slits will allow you to use the extra vinyl to wrap into the hole for a clean surface mount, or to fold under itself for a clean flush mount where you don't see the edge of the vinyl. Once you've done this (test fitting the screen every little cut out of the stuffing or the vinyl you make), then you're ready to make the support. Use your metal (aluminum sheet) and cut out a piece of aluminum that's the same size as the hole horizontally and about 1.5 inches larger vertically. Cut 1" teeth into the metal sheet on the top and bottom only like so:
/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Once you'd done this, take your velcro patches, undo the adhesive on one size, stick it to the monitor's back (you can get it off later with a hair dryer or goo gone, don't worry), and peel off the other side. Align the metal sheet you just cut and press it onto the back. Now take it back off. The velcro should now be lined up. Now you'll insert that metal piece top or bottom first and work it back into the hole...pressing down hard with your hands on the filling so the teeth don't shred it. Get it back to where it needs to be for the screen and make sure the teeth are all set in (the hole again should only be as deep as the screen so it should be at the back). Now use a coathanger and a razor, and make a small incision at the bottom of the headrest where you want the wires to run to. If possible don't cut at all, but try to push the vinyl up by where the posts protrude. Use a coathanger or pencil to make a good sized hole from the location you chose into the main cavity you cut earlier. Then run your wires from the back of the screen into the cavity, down the hole, and out by the posts. Now insert the screen, pulling on the wires the hole time, until you feel the velcro, and press hard.

That should do it...now you will want to take the seat apart and either cut a hole by the plastic shrouded post acceptors or push the vinyl down enough to push wires through the same way.

Let me know how it goes,

Austin519

i would like to see pics of this... I am kinda lost on the explanation....