How do I keep my TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How do I keep my TL?

I'm in deep doo-doo right now, not making enough $$$. Need to get a better job soon or gotta give up my TL.
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001119.html

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navigation
NightHawk Black Pearl Exterior, Ebony Leather.

Sunroof Visor, Mudguards, 35% Metallic Tint All Around, Acura Burlwood Shiftknob, Alpine CHM-S620 6-Disc CD-Changer, New Nighthawk Black Pearl Paint
In da works...
Video in my Navi Kit, Playstation 2, JL Audio 12" W6 Subwoofer, Audiobahn A1800E Amplifier

Moderator of Acura-TL.Com Forums
Old 04-26-2001, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Pertaining to your education, definitely skip A+ and Network+ as both are pretty basic stuff. I would also skip MCSE for now. Go for CCNA. After that you should look into getting your CCNP, then if you want to, get your CCIE, or you can look into supplementing your CCNP with MCSE, although CCNP and a bachelors degree in IT would be a great combination. If you are new to the networking field, then you might want to consider Network+ before anything, but it would seem you could skip that.

The economy is going down right now, at least in Colorado the market isn't great right now to quite jobs. However, you could look into getting some sort of paying internship, and job location services can lead to some jobs(not the internet job services like Monster.com, but actual brick and mortar job services).

You are in NJ, Lucent Technologies and Avaya Inc. are headquartered in NJ and they offer internships and regular positions in their companies, and they can always use network professionals.

If push comes to shove, just use your financial licenses to get a job temporarily so that you can keep your car and just maintain. While you do these financial jobs just keep looking for a networking job. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, but during this time you can keep looking for something better.

I don't know if this is a lot of help, but thats my word and I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.

------------------
"In my ghetto ain't no rainbow or pots of gold
But there was love from the family when times where cold
I sit and analyze the world from my project roof
And see the hope in the eyes of a troubled youth"
Old 04-27-2001, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe you could try prostitution , here, ill be your pimp, bring all the money to me biotch !!!

------------------
2001 Acura TL/Nighthawk Black/Einkei AKA 17's/Nitto Extreme 450's (225/17/50)Type-S Shifter/Spoiler/AEM CAI w/Bypass Valve/Custom Grizalle/ Riceboy AcuraPads/ SuperSonicSpark$/TL-S Tailz/Ahh do I smell Comptech in tha near future/Pix real soon!!!
Old 04-27-2001, 06:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Thanks Soundspeed, good advice.

Shyne, who you callin a biotch?
Old 04-27-2001, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Just be really careful. Don't fvck up your credit before you even get out of college. Credit card companies and banks are getting really tough on people who default on loans, miss payments, etc. They got their a$$ handed to them when the stock market took a tumble this year, and now they are playing hardball with people not paying back loans timely. Especially college students, who most unfortunately think credit cards are free money. Credit card companies come on campus and start selling how great these things are, but don't warn students of the pitfalls. My best friend worked for the big credit card company, the one you always see on campus. He was amazed at how much debt some college students racked up.

Credit is a tough thing to get back once you have a black mark on it. When you get out of college and need to find a place to live, if you've got strikes on your credit history, look out.

I'm not trying to preach to you, but I was almost there at one point in my life. It's not much fun. Never again.

Realize it's only a car, there will be others. But a clean credit history takes a long time to get back.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:01 AM
slickTL17

Hold up on your modding and pay off your ride.
You can look for any computer internships at the univ. you can even work there in the summer. Per Lucent and Avaya, they hardly hire people without BS at least. Even for internship they have to see u as prospect to work there full time. besides, lucent doesn't hire people now.

Old 04-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't listen to this fools. I'm a network Administrator for Bellsouth mobility(now call cingular) (8,000 plus users). If you want to get your foot in the door, get your MCSE. CCNA, CCNP, CCIE are all Cisco certifications. Not many jobs require this certifications unless you are looking to be a cisco cunsultant or enginieer getting $80k plus a year. Network + and A+ are good too, but not as reconigze as MCSE. I have friends comming out of college with certificatoins and I personally know that they know their stuff, but with no job experience they are having a hard time getting good jobs. Don't expect much because you have a BS. One of them is only making $28,000. I in the other hand have MCSE, A+, Network+, High School Diploma and 6 years in networking and hardware experience making $60k+.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Bitium on April 27, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-27-2001, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Do you know how to install cd drives, floppy drives and memory and such in your home pc? If so, A+ may not be worth it to you unless you wanna go work at Gateway or something.

How far along in networking are you? If you are past all your networking 101 classes, then Network+ may not be worth it to you.

Besides, CCNA starts out basic. I have a friend who just got his CCNA and he was less than a third of the way through the classes. It was easy enough for him that he just went and took the test and passed. If you study hard it isn't that bad. If you are just starting in networking, then Network+ would be a good way to go first. CCNP is four tests corresponding to 4 text books. Finish a text book, go take the corresponding test, then start the next text book. CCIE is even harder. It obviously takes some time. The cisco website actually has a lot of the CCNA info in their documentation section. You could almost learn the entire CCNA curriculum from their website. WANpro.com I believe it is actually has practice A+ and Network+ tests, and I think maybe a practice CCNA test. There are a couple of other pretty good websites, I can get them for you if you are interested.

As for Lucent, their stock sucks and so they may have a hiring freeze. Avaya says they have a hiring freeze, but if you have a degree they will seriously look at hiring you. And they do have internships for college people, however if you want more information go to their websites.

Is Sun Microsystems in NJ? If so, check them out.

Otherwise, just do what you gotta do to keep your car, even if you gotta do a financial job or flip burgers at Burger King on the weekend. Eventually a better job will come around and you will be making that money. Stocks suck in the tech field right now, however not just tech companies need network engineers/techs, a lot of non tech businesses need a computer network for data storage and transfer, and as long as they have/need a network, they will need techies like us.

Good luck

Peace
Old 04-27-2001, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Thanks Soundspeed, once again very good advice. I think after talking to quite a few people, that I will skip A+ and Network+ and go straight to CCNA.

I called quite a few schools and they all encouraged me to go A+, Network+, MCSE then CCNA. The guy gave me some questions and I couldn't answer any of them. So I was kinda confused, and was thinking I should go A+, remeber I have no real formal background in computers, just taking a few college classes and whatnot. Even my own brother told me to skip A+. I think I'll go check out a few schools and get the CCNA to try to get my foot in the door and get some experience.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 04-27-2001, 10:57 PM
Racer

How much are you making, if you don't mind me asking?

How much do network people make?

I am an entry level consultant for Accenture formerly known as Andersen Consulting and they pay me really well for coming straight out of college with a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering.

I would assume that network engineers make a crap load of money, considering all companies run networks.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Headers
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 04-27-2001, 11:36 PM
slickTL17

Originally posted by DragonTL:
How much are you making, if you don't mind me asking?

How much do network people make?

I am an entry level consultant for Accenture formerly known as Andersen Consulting and they pay me really well for coming straight out of college with a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering.

I would assume that network engineers make a crap load of money, considering all companies run networks.

dragon, accenture doens't pay well at all. trust me.
I am not fresh out of college. I work for the diminishing 5 as well . if you do your research you will realize other companies in same industry pay way more.

Don't think accenture is all that.
Don't let them brainwash u

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by slickTL17 on April 28, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-27-2001, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

You guys are confusing the heck out of me.

Neil, I don't miss any payments or anything, my credit is sqeaky clean. In fact, I help my father co-sign for the TL, and we put it under his name so the insurance is cheaper. But have drove it like 3 times since we've bought it.

One other question, should I go straight into CCNA? or is there easier certifications to get? I've read that A+ and Network+ are on there way out, I don't wanna waste my money. Also, any good sites to post my resume? I have it on Monster.com, Justnetworkingjobs.com and techies.com already. What other good ones?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by bdimc2001 on April 27, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-28-2001, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Right now, I'm working for Alamo Rent A Car, making about 20K, not even close to where I wanna be. Managers here make about 35-40K, so I don't even wanna move up in this company, not worth it. Area & Regional make about 50K.