Old 04-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
position=Sarcasam. Boredom.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Talking

Enough with the arguing, you all are losing focus of the most important issue here, and that is:

Where are the pics of the hot chic, AKA vandy786?
Old 04-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Peter, have you ever heard of torque???????? ... you can have 500 horse power and 10 lbs. of torue and I can have that same 225 hp car w/ higher torque and i would beat you ..... common sense .... wow
Old 04-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by 2fasttls
Peter, have you ever heard of torque???????? ... you can have 500 horse power and 10 lbs. of torue and I can have that same 225 hp car w/ higher torque and i would beat you ..... common sense .... wow
Unfortunately the point you REALLY wanted to make (to try and get under my skin), Mr. Goodwrench, was that the bimmer mated to a manual tranny is putting down a little less peak torque to the wheels than the TL-S (auto, of course), yet w/ the BROADER torque band than the TL-S, and w/ the reduction of weight (by about 200lbs or so), and the ability to shave fractions of seconds w/ faster shifting in a manual (only in the trained hands of a pro) .. the TL-S will potentially lose to the 330Ci....

And, sir, have you ever heard of aggressive gearing? (since we're in the bizness of insulting each other now) .. a 500hp car w/ 10lb-ft of torque geared more aggressively (we're pushing this example .. ) can beat (in a certain given distance) that same 225hp car w/ higher torque ...

hmm... Mr. Goodwrench, can you say S2000? or maybe try .. RX-8 ...
Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

dern... I thought that the TL-S had one of the broader (if not consistent) torque curves on the planet... I guess I am wrong, again. Chalk three more for the BMW. Got to love thos dandy <I>bimmers</I>
Old 04-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Advanced

By all means Pete, I am not insulting you, but giving you an example of what a difference the torque makes. Yes I have fallen victim to the BMW 330ci and not to take any credit away from bimmers I have also beaten my share of 330ci's. I am a big fan of the car and believe its the best car out in the market besides the G35 thats in my budget.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by 2fasttls
By all means Pete, I am not insulting you, but giving you an example of what a difference the torque makes. Yes I have fallen victim to the BMW 330ci and not to take any credit away from bimmers I have also beaten my share of 330ci's. I am a big fan of the car and believe its the best car out in the market besides the G35 thats in my budget.
2fast --

I respect your opinion of the 330i .. I'm a firm believer in the fact that one's impression of a car (based simply on a race) is going to be mitigated by the outcome. No doubt, I trust you've beaten your fair share, and therefore you've gained a certain opinion of the vehicle.. I've only lost to them (in the manual format) therefore I've appreciated the 330 in a different light. You're a knowledgeable enthusiast, and I've regarded your posts as intelligent and well-based, though the last one seemed to contradict this. I apologize for the misunderstanding .. let the debate continue
Old 04-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Ray,

does this REALLY surprise you?? Clearly only about 30 to 40% (maybe even much less) of those participating in these automotive forums are less aware of the finer points of engine performance and how that translates to overall automobile performance (0-60, 1/4-mile, trap speeds, peak hp/tq, etc.). Rather, I think that each time someone posts q's about the 0-60 .. 1/4-mile... peak hp... and then subsequently when someone more savvy about the topic *informs* the newbie about the finer points .. everyone reading that topic LEARNS from the "educator".. and I think everyone's better for it.

That's why I like posts that argue, and i mean ARGUE technical differences b/w cars.. b/c SOOO much good info usually comes out of those threads (also a lot of flames at times and b.s.) .. and I think lurkers and participants alike learn from each other, despite their acknoledgement of the fact.

what are you thoughts on this Ray?
<Thread Hijack>
I care not about acura vs. bmw. Both are excellent cars.

Hey, Peter. I am very interested in what you have to say about the finer points of engine performance and its impact on automobile performance. I love to be educated on this topic, and I only understand some basic principles such as peak HP and torque bands. For example, I have no idea what trap speed is all about and what implications it has.

Further, what can one really derive from a 0-60 or 1/4mi. run? I hear that these runs and their corresponding timeslips can vary quite greatly.

So fill me in on the trap speeds, etc.

thanks duder.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by CrazyBimmer
Come on guys, you cant say the TLS can "OWN" the 330 in a straight line. You guys sound as bad as the bimmer guys

Cant we all admit that both cars are almost dead even. It all depends on the driver IMO. A TLS with I/H/E will slightly beat a 330ci 5-speed, but will never OWN it. Nugga please.

You guys should be proud as hell for having a FWD, large sedan and AUTO that can hang or beat most cars on the road. I respect that.

TLS 13 - BMW 0

And yes my friend, that includes a manual 330ci, as well as a couple other 330i. And should I mention the 4 M3s that were on the menu? 2 of them manuals with one having some basic mods.

All this with my stock TLS.

BTW - I've also added a couple of SC430s to the menu as well.

Ruf
Old 04-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by Ray_Khan

yep...it's funny how much people here care abotu 0-6- too. When do you race from 0-160? No one realizes how much 0-60 is so gearing dependent that you would have to have so much more hp to have a significan'ty bettter 0-60. Also people here are so concerned with peak hp numbers. I hear very few people talk about trap speeds and tq curves. These will tell you so much more about the car than peak hp and 0-60.
Just in case you are wondering why more people care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile racing. Do you think that perhaps it is because 60MPH is usually the max legal speed limit, or that more than a 1/4 mile significantly increase the risk, or that it's just what they prefer.

Unless you live in Germany where you can run a car up to 160 safely or plan on keeping up with NASCARs, then it does matter.

Personally I like both, but short bursts of fun dominate the scene.

BTW - trap speed is meaningless in 0-60 or 1/4 runs. Nice stats to note you are coming on in the big end.

Also, did it ever occur to you that some cars are setup for the holeshot?

Mine is and as a result I've dropped my trap speed just below 94MPH. Meaning my trap speed is lower now. However, I'm winning more races than before because I'm beating them in the 60', 330' and even 1/8 mile in many case. Just as I've posted in my track results verses a SC430, who's trap speed was almost 4MPH better.

Well let me say this too, 4MPH faster is not enough to catch some one on the big end. Just not enough track left, and that's what usally happens on the street. You run out of clear road and too late, you can't be caught.

It's all about application and utilility. If I lived in a hill country where there are lots of twisties I would have picked a rear wheel drive for sure.

Ruf
Old 04-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Ruf87 sounds like hes got a small dlck

I wish i raced as much as you. You are soo cool my friend
Old 04-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Lead Footed

Ruf87 sounds like hes got a small dlck

I wish i raced as much as you. You are soo cool my friend
And you my friend must be limp because you must get personal

If you can't take the truth then let people be. Why must people like you be the self appointed party poopers. This is a free board to express ones interests and if that means racing or beating Bimmers then so be it. That's their choice.

As for my small **** and slow TLS claims, at least I can prove otherwise. I just love proving know-it-alls and want-a-bes like you wrong. :smokin:

Ruf I don't need a Bimmer to be someone I'm not
Old 04-05-2003, 12:28 AM
Instructor

you just made no sense.

Whats the truth again? That you like to lie? Sorry for being your party pooper, I take back everything i said then. Congrats on beating all those bimmers. I hope it will make ya happy about your car.

So you know, e36 m3 run low 14s in the 1/4. So damn kid you got one fast stock TLS.

Oh well, carry on.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Advanced

LOL
Old 04-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Lead Footed

I hope it will make ya happy about your car.

So damn kid you got one fast stock TLS.

Yes it does, especially when some young wannabe pulls up and assumes he's top dog.

Thanks, it may be one fast stock TLS . . . any 14 second car is fast for a daily driver.

BTW - I've probably be racing longer than you are old. But if you are older than I think, then you should know that published performance results are nothing more than representative of what the car's potential is. No guarantees it will do it.

And if it make you feel any better, I happen to like the 3 Series, especially the M3.

I'm just an old conservative who doesn't see the need to spend $10-25k more for the car. Now if it were $3-5k difference, then maybe.

Ruf
Old 04-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Racer

ooooooooooooooooooooooo