Horrible rear windshield experience in Queens, NY

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible rear windshield experience in Queens, NY

Sorry, but I needed to vent. I bought my 2000 TL about half a year ago. I knew I needed to replace the rear windshield, as most of the defrost didn't work. I bought it from a local dealer, so it wasn't covered under any warranty. A friend suggested an auto glass place in Queens who charged me $300. On the second day after getting it replaced, I noticed that when looking at it with the sun shining on it, there were 'spots' all over it. These spots looked like patches of humid air trapped inside the glass. Cleaning it doesn't work, both from the outside and inside. I brought it back to get it replaced. It took them 3 weeks to get the part! Finally, they get the part. They take off the rear windshield and was about to put the new one on. Then the manager tells me to check the glass and that if I said okay, I would have to sign something saying it was sold as is. This was an overcast day. And to the best of my ability, it looked fine but there was no way to tell for sure. He told me I could either sign or get it done on a sunny day. But I said to him it's not really an option as they already took the old one off. It's either take it as is, or drive home without a rear windshield. He said "oh well". So I told him to put it on thinking it was only one defective glass and it couldn't happen to me twice. Well, what do you know. After 45 min to put it on and clean up the car, I backed it out onto the street. I happened to get a few minutes of sunlight and I see it...the spots all over again! I was so upset. I asked him to come out and check it and he says it wasn't going to do any good. He wasn't going to replace it. I'm not sure if it's okay to post names of places, so I didn't on this message. If it is, I can post their name. Otherwise, PM me and I can tell you where NOT to go.

Now I have a rear windshield which looks horrible when light shines on it. I don't know whether or not to dish out some more cash to replace it! Or are all aftermarket glasses like that? I really hate to spend close to $900 to replace it at the Acura dealer....sigh....Thanks for listening to me vent
Old 05-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Cruisin'

DO you think some window tint might help ??
Old 05-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

I don't know. Anybody experience this before? I've been thinking about tint. But I'm not sure if it will help the problem.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:16 AM

Tint might help but I wouldn't know for sure, Heck I never even heard of anything like this happening before.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:42 AM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've seen that before,i think it's normal.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Dang, that doesn't sound right. That's why you don't go with aftermarket cheapo glass.

I think you should contact an attorney, or the Attorney General. The contract you signed was coercive (your old one was off, it was overcast out, so you didn't have a choice) and probably won't have a good chance of standing up in court. Sounds like a real shady place.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Racer

I noticed that when looking at it with the sun shining on it, there were 'spots' all over it. These spots looked like patches of humid air trapped inside the glass.
is the glass solid all the way through, or are there really bubbles in it?

if there are bubbles in it, then it's a defect. if it's a reflection issue, then i have it too.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

The glass is solid all the way through. It's definitely a reflection issue, as you can see it from some angles but you can't from others. Is yours an original or aftermarket part?
Old 05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Alright... let me see if I got this correct: So you have what appears to look like tiny air bubbles dispersed throughout your rear window? So basically when light comes in, its hard to see out the back. And in the night time you can't really notice it? Is that right?

And are these patches of air bubbles dispersed throughout the glass or only on the top portion, extending about 4 inches from the roof? If so, then that is normal, if it is through out then its not.

Yes go ahead and give the info of the place on the forum, this forum is to help people and if there is a good place we post it up and rant/rave about it bringing more business to them. Same applies if there is a bad experience, we post and try to deter other people from going there and getting screwed, so go ahead and tell us this place.

Now an option I would suggest for you would be, I know on ebay a while back, I saw that there was a TL that they were parting out as it was recked, and you could pretty much buy any part from it, so maybe you can get a rear window from something like that, and fitment and quality will be good since its OEM. I will see if I can find that auction for you.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

It is throughout the rear windshield. It does not obstruct my view out of the car at all. It's only evident to someone looking at it from the outside.

This place in Queens is right next to Shea stadium. It is the first store at the corner.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Advanced

I dont know if you have full covarge with your insurance but if you do most of them have small if any deductable's on glass my is zero with state farm look in to it then look for a falling brick out if the sky
Old 05-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Is not having these "tiny bubbles" in your glass (which will probably dissapear w/tint) worth an extra 600 buxs? I suspect not,so just tint it and hope they sealed the thing up well cuz the next time you cruise in there they'll probably run you off.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

dayum yo, rite outside of shea stadium?! its a little strip of a road rite?! it looks like a converted alleyway?! im sorry to say this and all but you should have known better than to take your tl to that place. however, if you want to dish out more money, my suggestion would be to get a lawyer and fight the owner because the contract was given to you after your glass was taken out. the contract has no meaning because you had no choice in the matter and thats not exactly legal
Old 05-17-2004, 02:55 AM
Racer

My glass is original and tint didn't help.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

I've seen this before. It looks like a pattern of "clouded" areas in the window when you look at it from certain angles and in certain light, but when you walk up to the window, it's clear. They really stand out if you have a pair of polarized sunglasses on at look at the window. I've seen a lot of MB's with this issue (newer models) where the spots are blue, and it's only on the rear window. I don't think it's air in the glass; it looks more like a polishing/finishing issue because the pattern is near perfect (that’s why I think a machine did it). I don't think tint will help since the spots are on the window; they'll just shine through.

You may be able to argue your way out of the second install since you mentioned it was a cloudy day and the service guy left you with no alternative. However, depending on what you signed and the stipulations of the contract, you may have screwed yourself out of any recourse. Chances are, ultimately, if you don't want to live with the spots, then you're going to need to replace the glass again - and probably with a piece of Acura glass. Maybe you can cut a deal with your glass place and get a percentage of your money back....
Old 05-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Pro

was it D&D if so they are a bunch of lowlife scumbags....it's one of the only glass shops in that area and every so often someone goes on a glass breaking spree in my neighborhood and i'd say at least 20 cars need to get new driver side windows.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Racer

I had a problem with my rear glass too.
It’s hard to explain but basically when I was looking in the rear mirror the bottom of the rear windshield was distorting the view badly...
So I went on the internet and search for the manufacturer of the rear windshield which had the name of the company on it.
I found a 1800 number and told them that it was installed by a body shop,
but I lost my receipt for the work and that the problem is actually a manufacture defect... told them that they should protect the name of the company...and other crap
Anyway to my surprise, rep. from their local office called me the same day and we setup an appointment.
After checking the windshield the guy gave me the address to the shop which was working with their company and the glass was replaced for FREE
I think I was just lucky...
Old 05-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by orcaatk
I've seen this before. It looks like a pattern of "clouded" areas in the window when you look at it from certain angles and in certain light, but when you walk up to the window, it's clear. They really stand out if you have a pair of polarized sunglasses on at look at the window.
This is true, since I only wear polarized sunglasses.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

It's beginning to sound as if this cloudy/spotty problem is seen more than I had thought. For those who have seen it, was it on Acuras? Does anyone know the exact cause of this (or is this just a manufacturing defect)?
Old 05-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redbox18
It's beginning to sound as if this cloudy/spotty problem is seen more than I had thought. For those who have seen it, was it on Acuras? Does anyone know the exact cause of this (or is this just a manufacturing defect)?
I've never seen an Acura with this issue, but I suppose that's because rear windows don't break as often as the other windows on a car so there are less chances of a car getting new rear window. In fact, I noticed today on the way back from the Acura Dealership (which, btw, not one car - that I could see - on the lot had this issue) two Mitsu' Eclipses with the problem on the road. Which makes me believe that it's a manufacturing issue versus a defect in the glass.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:00 PM
TLStar

near Shea Stadium???

First of all, don't ever get anything done around there cuz u get what u pay for in those dirty areas!!!! some of the places there may be good but did u ever hear the saying............"BUYER BEWARE"???

:rocketwho
Old 05-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Angry To Faizalstar

Faizalstar...I see your "First of all...", so where's the "Second of all"?

My impression of this board is that it's an information/share your experiences type of board. Call me sensitive, but your response seems more like "you went there, you are the moron" type of response. I've seen much more supportive/informative responses to a variety of other questions. The saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say (or even informative) why say it at all?

$300 vs $1000 is a big difference. If I'm the only one who has ever taken a cheaper path to save some $, then yes, I'm the moron. But I'm sure if you own a car you've done something to save a few $ left and right.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:49 AM
TLStar

SECOND OF ALL....."The saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say (or even informative) why say it at all? " I do believe thats what you said.

Sorry my OPINION wasn't informative to you but ur not the only one on the site, plus if u have time to tell me that i'm not informative then maybe u just have too much time on ur hands. Either way i can say what i feel like saying whether U think it's informative or not.
PS, thanks for your opinion.